Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2024, 19:09   #1786
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

My Virtus 1.0 TSI AT, Topline completes 6 months.

It's been a little over 6 months and got that I have using the car and I here are observations so far.

The Good things:
  1. The AT transmission is smooth and one wouldn't feel the shifts unless he/she is looking for it in the lower gears (1-2).
  2. From gears 3-6 you won't feel the shifts at all.
  3. I like the ride quality and the seat cushioning. It's not soft, not too farm either and tends to hold one well on the move.
  4. Ceat SecuraDrive tyres provide good grip and are silent.
  5. The engine has a great midrange and it pulls effortlessly till 120 - 130 KMPH. It doesn't feel strained at all and actually becomes quite at higher speeds.
  6. 179 MM GC is an added advantage.
  7. The AC feels adequate to me and cools the cabin well enough. I drove it during peak summer in Hyderabad and never felt uncomfortable.
  8. The projector LEDs are great in low beam; high beam is adequate; could have been better.

The not so Good things:
  1. I do not like the engine noise and unlike Hyundai's 3 cylinder engines, this one gets noisy at lower RPMs, around 1700. It's not a sporty note either.
  2. I feel the down shifts happen little early. For example, if you are driving around 35 KMPH in D3 and take your foot off the A pedal to slow down a bit, it immediately downshifts.
  3. I use the paddle shifters quite a lot to counter this unnecessary downshifts. This way I can match the rev with the gear, like I used to do in manuals.
  4. Faced issue with auto up/down function in the driver side window. It still happens intermittently and not completely gone even after getting it fixed at the SC.
  5. The creep from standstill is a bit aggressive, but, I am more used to it now and don't feel any problem even in bumper to bumper traffic.
  6. The infamous brake noise at lower speed. Though it's not consistent, it happens at times.
  7. There is no button to release the Boot from inside. One can't even open it from outside even if I unlock the doors. I need to open and close the driver side door to let someone open it using the electro magnetic release button. This is a pain at security stops in malls and hotels. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Hope you find these useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-car2.jpg  

sid18 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 19:34   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank4823 View Post

I am from Jaipur and just came back from the SC. They told me that they won't be able to do the hood insulation for 1.0. If I had a 1.5, they would do it if it was missing from my car. But on 1.0, they refused.
It's available to order at Boodmo. Here is the link - https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-soun..._lid-58243245/

I did order it from Boodmo but then cancelled it as my SC managed to get it after I had escalated it to their parts manager. But, let me tell you, it doesn't make a great difference in engine noise creeping inside. Nevertheless, here is the part number in case you want to push them - 5JN863831

Here it is post installation:
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-pic-3.jpg  

Last edited by sid18 : 26th January 2024 at 19:41.
sid18 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 13:08   #1788
BHPian

Is there a way to deactivate engine start-stop system? It gets reset upon every ignition on unlike Maruthis.
harish5000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 19:36   #1789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid18 View Post
[*]There is no button to release the Boot from inside. One can't even open it from outside even if I unlock the doors. I need to open and close the driver side door to let someone open it using the electro magnetic release button. This is a pain at security stops in malls and hotels. Does anyone have a solution to this?[/list]
The boot is linked to car's central locking. Simply unlocking the car with unlock button on driver door will let anyone outside open the boot.
Ditto for the fuel cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish5000 View Post
Is there a way to deactivate engine start-stop system? It gets reset upon every ignition on unlike Maruthis.
No permanent solution, you need to disable every time you start the car.
asethi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 21:06   #1790

Quote:
Is there a way to deactivate the engine start-stop system? It gets reset upon every ignition, unlike Maruthis.
Hi,

There is no way to switch it off permanently, you have to manually switch it off every time you start your car.
Old 30th January 2024, 09:09   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
The boot is linked to car's central locking. Simply unlocking the car with unlock button on driver door will let anyone outside open the boot.
Ditto for the fuel cap.
It doesn't work while the engine is running, that's what the security told me many a times. I could not test it myself as that would need me to open the door anyways. I need to ajar the door. Could just be a problem with my car, need to check.
Old 30th January 2024, 12:18   #1792

Quote:
It doesn't work while the engine is running, that's what the security told me many a times. I could not test it myself as that would need me to open the door anyways. I need to ajar the door. Could just be a problem with my car, need to check.
I use the unlock button on the driver door and the security guard opens the boot for security check.
Old 30th January 2024, 12:27   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
1) You dont need to actually open the door. You can press the unlock button on the driver side door.

2) Long press of boot unlock button (center button on the key) should open boot automatically and short press should unlock it for someone else to open using the unlock button on the boot.
Old 30th January 2024, 17:28   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Good news for 1.5 TSI owners looking for remap. I did see few Instagram post from tuners on 1.5 TSI remap being around the corner.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_2707.png
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 17:07   #1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Good news for 1.5 TSI owners looking for remap. I did see few Instagram post from tuners on 1.5 TSI remap being around the corner.

Attachment 2567031
Hi,

Is there any warranty impact on such a remap/tuning?
Old 31st January 2024, 18:21   #1796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCruiser View Post
Hi,

Is there any warranty impact on such a remap/tuning?
Definitely, any tuning will impact the warranty. But then itís a personal preference, I have seen many people getting their brand new cars tuned.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 18:24   #1797

Hi mayank,
I own the same lava blue 1.0 topline in the manual transmission. The car and the colour are such head turners. The HVAC controls is still taking me time to get used to, hopefully the car's AC performs well during peak Ahmedabad heat. Happy motoring!
Ishaankhndelwl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 23:17   #1798
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Virtus Highline AT 1.0, a decision prompted by bidding farewell to my beloved 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. The Fiesta, with over 2.1 lakh km on the odometer, was a faithful companion, but it reached a point where several critical components, including the clutch assembly, demanded attention frequently that extended to the brakes, suspensions, AC coil replacements, and more, necessitating a replacement.

In our pursuit of a new sedan, the Hyundai Verna didn't quite meet the family's aesthetic preferences IMHO, and although the Honda City was considered, my longstanding desire for a German sedan led us to choose between the Skoda Slavia and the Volkswagen Virtus. The latter captured our hearts at first sight, and thus, the decision was made.

We opted for a MY2023 Virtus with a manufacturing month of October, available at a tempting discount of ₹1.2 lakhs. The seamless delivery process on January 24th from Volkswagen Coimbatore, which kept to their timelines, added to our satisfaction.

Having covered 500km in my new Virtus so far which includes 300km on highways and the rest of the drives in Coimbatore city, here are my initial impressions:

Pros:

German Build Quality: While not surpassing the robustness of Ventos and Polos, the Virtus exhibits superior build quality compared to many cars in the current generation.

Well-Designed Interiors: The interior design aligns with my preferences, offering a practical layout. Switch placements and indicator stalks are well-thought-out, a nod to my previous Fiesta experience.

Smooth and Powerful Engine: The engine impresses with its smooth performance. Even with a light foot, overtaking is effortless thanks to brisk power delivery.

Spacious Trunk: The trunk space, possibly not the largest in the segment, suits my needs. It accommodates the luggage of my family of four comfortably.

Cons:

Suspension Concerns: This is a big letdown since we chose Virtus for its road behaviour. Unlike the impressive suspension in the test drive car, mine seems unsettled on road patches, producing noticeable thuds and keeping the passengers busy. I've checked the tyre pressure multiple times, even reducing it to 30 psi, but the issue persists. Should I be concerned or does it improve over time?

Brake Noise: Upon applying brakes, I notice a subtle rattling noise from the front and the noise diminishes with speed reduction as the car comes to a halt. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

AC Hissing Noise: The AC emits a recurring hissing noise every 10-15 seconds, resembling a snake underneath the blower. In the quiet cabin, it becomes increasingly annoying. I did see several posts regarding this. Has anyone been able to rectify it?

Inadequate Headlamps: The low beams feel insufficient, prompting me to consider upgrading the halogen fogs to LEDs to help the cause. Any recommendations from those who have already made this modification?
harish5000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:09   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,
Hi Harish, I am sharing my thoughts on these. Hope its useful.

Suspension Concerns:

Do you feel noticeable thud in highways? Since its a hard/stiff suspension, I understand that small patches in city give the feel of slightly high impact. whereas in highways in high speeds in uneven roads, it feels smooth as butter and provides the feel of VW's stability.

Brake Noise:

I haven't had any so far. Pls check during next service

AC Hissing Noise:

I complained this during 1000 km check up. Told them firmly that our 2009 jetta sounded like this only after 10 years. After couple of visit to the service guys took effort and reduced the hissing noise to a considerable amount. But still I hear it mildly.

Inadequate Headlamps:

Even I am looking out for the same. Will update you once I do this in near future.

Cheers!
Shiva
shiv4747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:24   #1800
BHPian

Hi Shiva,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv4747 View Post
Hi Harish, I am sharing my thoughts on these. Hope it's useful.

Suspension Concerns:

Do you feel noticeable thud in highways? Since its a hard/stiff suspension, I understand that small patches in city give the feel of slightly high impact. whereas in highways in high speeds in uneven roads, it feels smooth as butter and provides the feel of VW's stability.
As you mentioned, on highways or, to be precise, on smooth surfaces, the car feels well-settled with minimal body roll. Cruising at 100 km/h gives the impression of a much lower speed, around 60/70 km/h. However, when encountering uneven patches, the car tends to feel noticeably unsettled. I can distinctly feel the expansion joints on flyovers/bridges. Interestingly, during the test drive with a different car on the same flyover/bridge was never as unsettled as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv4747 View Post
Inadequate Headlamps:

Even I am looking out for the same. Will update you once I do this in near future.
I've been using Osram's H8 LED bulbs for my Marazzo's fog lights, and they provide reasonable illumination despite being only 25W. I considered buying the same for my Virtus. However, I am a bit sceptical because the colour tone or lumens is not matching the Virtus' headlamps. The Osram bulbs emit a whiter shade, while the Virtus' headlamps lean more towards a blue or purple hue.
harish5000 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed