Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2022, 20:55   #676
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by clement.lloyd View Post
- The quality of the interior does not feel premium at this price point. It is like sitting inside a hatchback (~6L). Does not come anywhere close to the city.
That's way too harsh buddy. If you're talking about soft-touch materials, yes, they should've given some because that's expected at this price point. Agreed that some parts require better finishing, but the interior in no way feels as cheap as you're saying it to be, the interiors are at par with the competition if not better!

Quote:
- I am not sure why the rear seats are foldable. IMO, they do not fold enough to serve as a sleeping platform for campers like me, nor they do recline enough to get into a comfortable sitting position.
It's not made for camping purposes, it's useful for carrying long objects like cycles, mattresses etc. But I do think one can sleep pretty comfortably with the seats folded.

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 21st September 2022 at 20:58.
TechnoBloop is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:30   #677
BHPian

Virtus would be getting its first hike next month, one month later than Skoda increased prices for Slavia. Current price of GT was already approx 1L cheaper on road than Slavia 1.5 DSG but then Skoda has been offering discounts of upto 1L (inclusive of service packs and extended warranty) on Style.

News link.
Old 22nd September 2022, 14:56   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushiksudra View Post
Is there any firm confirmation on this? I thought they were unable to fit the 8" one the Virtus & Taigun.
The information is per what my sales advisor told me. I have not seen anything official on this from VW.

Also with the 8 inch infotainment, Apple car play/ Android auto will be wired and not wireless, as per the info received from the SA.
Old 25th September 2022, 23:26   #679
BHPian

Every time I park or stop my i20 next to Virtus or Slavia, it feels it's only slightly longer. Then I figure out it's the extra bhp of GT that made me like it
(Jetta below is around 10cm longer than Virtus)
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-i20jetta.png  

vidyanand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:43   #680
BHPian

Hello Everyone!

A bit of background here

1. Followed the developments on VW Virtus and Skoda Slavia since their launch... liked the cars, but at that time earlier in the year, decided to wait and not sell my 4.5 year old Creta

2. Saw launch of Hyryder, booked two, got tempted by the strong hybrid fuel economy (I go to Noida from Delhi everyday ~ 52km round trip) and my Creta diesel was only returning 14kmpl, so thought that the Hyryder would be a good choice!

3. Many many many youtube videos later - I was convincing myself that the build quality of Suzuki with a Toyota drivetrain and a big compromise on boot space and acceleration was fine with me (now, apart from the Creta, I also have a Polo GT TSI 1.2 DSG from 2017)

Now to the main story

1. Had a few drinks with friends on 16th September, told them my plans, they said you seem convinced - so was happy with the decision to keep the Hyryder booking and wait it out, however one close friend was not convinced

2. 10AM - Coffee at the office next day - he said just one line - "stop convincing yourself about this car, you wont be happy and it will be pathetically slow"

3. Got home, spoke to my wife and my dad, they said do what you want... as im the car expert in the family

4. 18th September - 10AM coffee - I got a few friends and colleagues together and called EVERY VW dealer in a 1,000KM RADIUS! No one had a GT Plus in White or Silver or Carbon (the 3 color choices)

5. 19th September - 12PM - Got a call from a VW dealer (not naming any dealer) that a car maybe available and to call on Day 1 of Navratri

Painful waiting period

6. 26th September - Called the dealer who said that the customer who was earlier going to cancel their GT booking went ahead and took the car the same day

Frustration... and unhappiness set in

7. 26th September 5PM, my father (very very very well connected in the automotive industry) calls and says that a dealer about 100km from Delhi will call you, he has a GT available and is willing to give it to you provided you pay in full on 27th September

Disbelief, race to the bank to do an urgent RTGS

8. 27th September - Reached the dealer, did a PDI, sent the funds, CAR IS MINE!

Here she is!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-img20220927wa0051.jpg  

vividhavasthi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 23:23   #681
BHPian

MOD NOTE : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividhavasthi View Post
7. 26th September 5PM, my father (very very very well connected in the automotive industry) calls and says that a dealer about 100km from Delhi will call you, he has a GT available and is willing to give it to you provided you pay in full on 27th September

Disbelief, race to the bank to do an urgent RTGS

8. 27th September - Reached the dealer, did a PDI, sent the funds, CAR IS MINE!

Here she is!
Now that's more adventure than even bringing the lady home!
Great that you selected the Grey Virtus. Do share more details. Want to know especially how the 1.0 and 1.5 TSI differs on road!

Last edited by Sheel : 30th September 2022 at 09:45. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Old 30th September 2022, 00:42   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Every time I park or stop my i20 next to Virtus or Slavia, it feels it's only slightly longer. Then I figure out it's the extra bhp of GT that made me like it
(Jetta below is around 10cm longer than Virtus)
That's a very interesting website. I agree that it's best not to get carried away with the 'having the biggest thing is what matters most' mindset. There is more to a car than just its size. Useable space, comfort, driving dynamics and safety is more important than how large a car's footprint is.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-screenshot-20220930-12.33.53-am.png

Just for fun, here is the Toyota Fortuner overlaid on the Cadillac Escalade.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 03:09   #683
BHPian

My friend had got his Virtus GT a week or two back, and today we decided to go on a short drive. The Virtus especially in the GT variant is a bliss, one of the best looking sedans ever to enter the Indian market. The 1.5TSI impressed me a lot, in the performance and refinement department, the car pulls relentlessly post the initial lag, which is quite pronounced. Here are some pictures of the Virtus GT with my Octavia TDI L&K. I hope to someday get my hands on this beauty someday soon
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-b5c16270a45a482699f4381640d40369.jpeg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-4716939d61a64f46b9693370096a66d7.jpeg  

Last edited by dieselhead01 : 30th September 2022 at 03:23.
dieselhead01 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 07:30   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead01 View Post
My friend had got his Virtus GT a week or two back, and today we decided to go on a short drive. The Virtus especially in the GT variant is a bliss, one of the best looking sedans ever to enter the Indian market. The 1.5TSI impressed me a lot, in the performance and refinement department, the car pulls relentlessly post the initial lag, which is quite pronounced. Here are some pictures of the Virtus GT with my Octavia TDI L&K. I hope to someday get my hands on this beauty someday soon
Indeed Slavia/Virtus 1.5 are seriously good.

How would you compare the performance of Virtus GT against your Octavia TDI (guess it’s stage 1). Especially at top speeds.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:33   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Indeed Slavia/Virtus 1.5 are seriously good.

How would you compare the performance of Virtus GT against your Octavia TDI (guess it’s stage 1). Especially at top speeds.
Hey, yes we had small shootouts, I love that 1.5TSI engine, but when it was up against the remapped TDI, it wasn’t even close, the diesel pulled away like it was nothing. Even a 1.8TSI couldn’t catch up with this remapped TDI, let alone a 1.5TSI. A 2.0 TDI shows what it’s made of when it gets a simple remap. Maybe a stock TDI would’ve been the right competitor for a Virtus, but between a Virtus and a Jetta DSG, my money would still be on Jetta if it was about performance, what do you think?

Last edited by dieselhead01 : 30th September 2022 at 09:38.
dieselhead01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:39   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe a stock TDI would’ve been the right competitor for a Virtus, but still between a Virtus and a Jetta DSG, my money would still be on Jetta if it was about performance, what do you think?
It will be a tough competition atleast till 100/120, but feel after that stock TDI might pull ahead.
Agree with remapped TDI, Virtus stands no chance. But was curious to know what’s the difference when put against each other. Thanks for the details.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:47   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, yes we had small shootouts, I love that 1.5TSI engine, but when it was up against the remapped TDI, it wasn’t even close, the diesel pulled away like it was nothing. Even a 1.8TSI couldn’t catch up with this remapped TDI, let alone a 1.5TSI. A 2.0 TDI shows what it’s made of when it gets a simple remap. Maybe a stock TDI would’ve been the right competitor for a Virtus, but between a Virtus and a Jetta DSG, my money would still be on Jetta if it was about performance, what do you think?
I agree with you, TDI engine has no competition, TSI engine's life and performance is not as good as TDI , I have 2 cars with TDI engines and I am very very happy with them, few days ago I took a test ride of VIRTUS 1.5 TSI but driving it I didn't get the pleasure that comes from driving the TDI. if would ask to choose between two cars one with 2.0 TDI the other 1.8 TSI I would go for the 2.0 TDI .
amrit_bareta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 10:46   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit_bareta View Post
I agree with you, TDI engine has no competition, TSI engine's life and performance is not as good as TDI , I have 2 cars with TDI engines and I am very very happy with them, few days ago I took a test ride of VIRTUS 1.5 TSI but driving it I didn't get the pleasure that comes from driving the TDI. if would ask to choose between two cars one with 2.0 TDI the other 1.8 TSI I would go for the 2.0 TDI .
2 years back I was exactly in the position as you mentioned here, during the booking of my Octavia L&K, I was confused between 1.8TSI and 2.0TDI, took a test drive of both, and chose the 2.0TDI because I loved the way the car pulled, loads of torque and aggression, which the 1.8TSI didn’t seem to deliver. And now with a remap, things couldn’t get better.
dieselhead01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 11:01   #689
BHPian

Quote:
2 years back I was exactly in the position as you mentioned here, during the booking of my Octavia L&K, I was confused between 1.8TSI and 2.0TDI, took a test drive of both, and chose the 2.0TDI because I loved the way the car pulled, loads of torque and aggression, which the 1.8TSI didn’t seem to deliver. And now with a remap, things couldn’t get better.
There is a very high demand for TDI engine in America, it is very difficult to find a vehicle with TDI engine, according to my opinion you have made a very right decision by choosing TDI engine , TDI engine not only gives more power but also gives more average compared to TSI. which also reduces the running cost of the car. After doing engine remap, have you faced any problem in engine? And at what stage your engine is remapped to 1,2 or 3
amrit_bareta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 11:54   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampulo View Post
MOD NOTE : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Now that's more adventure than even bringing the lady home!
Great that you selected the Grey Virtus. Do share more details. Want to know especially how the 1.0 and 1.5 TSI differs on road!
Soon I will be sharing a detailed experience with the car. I have already done 2 modifications with a third on order. Will make a write-up this weekend and share details soon!

Just to clarify are you asking about the difference between the Virtus 1.0L and the Virtus 1.5L? If so, I didn't even bother to try the 1.0L, so I won't be able to give you too many inputs on that one - but I can tell you more about the difference between the Polo 1.2 TSI DSG and the Virtus 1.5 DSG

- Polo has heavier steering, mine was from 2017, so it is hydraulic - honestly, I like the hydraulic steering better

- Shifts are equally fast, the jerk from D3 to D2 on the polo seems to be rectified on the Virtus as I didn't feel any jerks at all

- Both are really quick, and there would be little difference between them in the real world as the polo is lighter but with less power VS virtus which is heavier with more power

- Build quality seems similar too, I honestly didn't feel that the Virtus has bad quality interiors like a lot of people have mentioned, it is fine - could be better, but just Fine/OK is my final word on it

- Virtus seats are much more comfortable vs Polo and I really like seat cooling - it will be great in Delhi Summers

- Steering feel (just the quality) the Virtus is better as it has perforated leather so your hands don't feel sweaty

- My Virtus GT air conditioner sucks compared to the polo which is ice cold at any temperature, in the V-GT it keeps switching on and of, this is despite setting it at 21, whereas I never had to set it below 23 on the P-GT

- Corner grip - haven't done any real high-speed testing, so no update on this

- Ride quality - Virtus is more comfortable, P-GT is firmer

- Suspension - Virtus is boaty and there is roll, P-GT is firmer and I prefer the P-GT

- Rear seat - no comparisons here, P-GT is very cramped and not really for 4 adults on a road trip

- Boot space - I think I could fit the P-GT into the Virtus if I had the right tools 500+ liters is as good as it gets for a sedan

That's all for now!

Here is a parting shot of the new Virtus being coded - more on this in dedicated post....
Attached Images

vividhavasthi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks