Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2022, 10:34   #796
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Thanks to all the forum members for their inputs and suggestions. Though Red was the first choice, I was running out of patience. Second choice of color was Blue. Which was made available this week. Finished the PDI yesterday. And its a Nov Manufactured vehicle as per VIN and also MY 23. Tyres are Ceat Secura Drive, which I may plan on changing if I get a good offer

Will be taking delivery next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-20221126_153956.jpg  

kaushiksudra is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 11:12   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushiksudra View Post
Thanks to all the forum members for their inputs and suggestions. Though Red was the first choice, I was running out of patience. Second choice of color was Blue. Which was made available this week. Finished the PDI yesterday. And its a Nov Manufactured vehicle as per VIN and also MY 23. Tyres are Ceat Secura Drive, which I may plan on changing if I get a good offer

Will be taking delivery next week.
How do we know if the car is MY23 or not ? Because it is Nov manufatured which means it is 2022 year
steadfast is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 11:30   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
How do we know if the car is MY23 or not ? Because it is Nov manufatured which means it is 2022 year
From your VIN number.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...cture-vin.html (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))

Check this article for more understanding. My 10th Character is P(which case O letter is not being used, not sure why. Experts please shed some light on the same)
Old 27th November 2022, 21:46   #799
BHPian

Has Anyone tried to get the underbody cover installed? I am looking for some underbody protection of my Virtus.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 12:49   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Has Anyone tried to get the underbody cover installed?
Is it available as official accessory? Last I checked it wasn't available.
Old 28th November 2022, 15:49   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tyres are Ceat Secura Drive, which I may plan on changing if I get a good offer.
Congratulations in advance.

As for the tyres - the SecuraDrives aren't all that bad IMO. Especially since - all affordable range tyres (upto Conti CC6 etc) are more or less similar in performance, noise, grip etc. Only some Bridgestones, GoodYear Asurance, JKs and cheaper MRF ones are worse. If you want real noticeable difference over the CEATs - you'll need to get imported tyres and there is no way you can expect a pocket friendly deal on them. (I am a regular user of the Contis on all my cars, so the opinion is honest and bipartisan.)
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 17:06   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Is it available as official accessory? Last I checked it wasn't available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Has Anyone tried to get the underbody cover installed? I am looking for some underbody protection of my Virtus.
Would be interested in getting this in view of the much famed DSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Congratulations in advance.

As for the tyres - the SecuraDrives aren't all that bad IMO. Especially since - all affordable range tyres (upto Conti CC6 etc) are more or less similar in performance, noise, grip etc. Only some Bridgestones, GoodYear Asurance, JKs and cheaper MRF ones are worse. If you want real noticeable difference over the CEATs - you'll need to get imported tyres and there is no way you can expect a pocket friendly deal on them. (I am a regular user of the Contis on all my cars, so the opinion is honest and bipartisan.)
Thanks a lot, I'm using Conti UC6 on my EcoSport for 2 years and over 25K kms, super happy with them. Was planning on getting the same. One's you're referring to are something different I suppose. Anyway, planning to stick to these for now.
Old 1st December 2022, 20:21   #803
BHPian

Made in India LHD Virtus gets 5 star in Latin NCAP, though equipment list is different but still something to be happy about for our home manufactured product.

tsi_niks1989 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 20:32   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Made in India LHD Virtus gets 5 star in Latin NCAP, though equipment list is different but still something to be happy about for our home manufactured product.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=yM2pBGoicGk
Not surprised and usual stuff from VW. So it's confirmed that Slavia too will get the 5 stars. Few days back Tucson scored 0 !!
RD150 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 12:55   #805
BHPian

Hi All, got delivery of the vehicle on 29th November 2022. The delivery experience was ok, nothing special. Though they were ready with the car much before the time I was committed to. Although had opted out of all accessories, I wanted the Trumpet Horn. However, it was not fitted citing time availability which was paid for and shall installed be in First Service.

Have driven around 450kms in 7 days and I've to admit the car is super easy to drive and ergonomics and visibility is absolutely stunning.

Will be sharing my first ever review on TBHP very soon.

Some issues I'm facing till now

> The famous steering issue - Have to keep it slightly pointed right to keep her straight!
> Hissing Noises from the AC. This was really annoying - Also when we were full with 4 adults and 2 toddlers, rear passengers complained of inefficient cooling in Auto mode at 20-22 Deg and circulation mode.
> Engine Noise seems slightly higher in a petrol vehicle.

Things I'm Loving
> Absolutely loving the stress free driving with Automatic.
> Power is absolutely amazing and never felt lack of it.
> Cruise Control is a breeze.
> Ground Clearance - Its just way too Good. I'm not worried anymore about driving in bad patched of roads.

Cause of Concern

Rust on Drum Brakes

Volkswagen Virtus Review-whatsapp-image-20221205-12.50.50.jpeg
kaushiksudra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 14:11   #806
BHPian

Quote:

Some issues I'm facing till now

> The famous steering issue - Have to keep it slightly pointed right to keep her straight!
> Hissing Noises from the AC. This was really annoying - Also when we were full with 4 adults and 2 toddlers, rear passengers complained of inefficient cooling in Auto mode at 20-22 Deg and circulation mode.
> Engine Noise seems slightly higher in a petrol vehicle.

Cause of Concern

Rust on Drum Brakes

Congratulations on your new car I share the following issues with you and have a solution to one of them.

Steering - mine isn't straight either, need to keep it tilted to make sure the car goes straight, my local vw dealers alignment machine is out of order and I will be getting this fixed once its up and running

AC issue - mine was hissing as well, this was resolved at the vw dealer, they vacuumed all the gas and oil, and refilled the system to the correct specifications - in my case it was overfilled, this sorted the hissing sound considerably

Engine noise - I kinda like it, mine is louder after i changed the stock air filter to a K&N filter

Rust on brakes - this is happening to mine too, the car cleaner is washing the wheels daily, I will soon get the drum painted to avoid this
vividhavasthi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 21:08   #807
BHPian

Virtus GT Updates - Part 5

ODO: 2850KM

Quality of Life Updates

Hello all, here is another update on my Virtus GT (VGT from now), now that I've driven the car ~2000km, here are a few things I noticed and tried to rectify using some things I bought online along with talking about some issues that are quality related that I cant really fix myself at this point

1 - Cup Holders
They are really small, a normal-sized can doesn't fit perfectly (can too big) and neither does a slimmer red-bull size can (can too small)

Bought the following cup holder expander that allows for a far larger bottle etc to be placed, while it does increase the height considerably it is manageable. Its a bit noisy when it is not empty (this was solved with a rubber band that goes around the 3 adjustable holders)

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Volkswagen Virtus Review-cup-holder.jpg
Photo of Cup Holder in Car

2 - Air Purifier
Recently Delhi NCR pollution became bad, and my old air purifier which ran via a 12V cig socket was not practical to fit in the VGT, so I bought this Reffair AX70, bought it because it looked cool and the fact that it has a PM2.5 sensor display along with a USB C power input - handy when the car has 4 USB C Ports

Trying to figure out how to install it, thinking of adding some velcro strips and placing it on the side of the front seats - I need to figure this out so it doesn't come in the way and I can still read the display.

Amazon Link: For Air Purifier
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon Link: For Hooks
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20221206_195000.jpg
Here is the current placement, which I am not too happy with, I wanted this model despite knowing that the cup holders on this car wont fit it, I will find a way!

3 - Maybach/BMW 6GT Series Style Pillows
I like a comfortable ride and wanted this style of pillows - finally found something that resembles what is already there in our BMW 6GT. They are SUPER comfortable and look nice. Bought them from Pharaoh Automotive (you can google them) and shipped them from Bangalore, 2.5K for 2, also available in packs of 4 in various colors. Whoever has sat in the front seat has instantly said, wow this is comfy!

Volkswagen Virtus Review-maybach-pillows.jpg
Photo of Pillows in Car

4 - Metal Valve Caps
Noticed that after the first 1000km inspection that two of my valve caps were missing, so I looked around on Amazon for some smart valve caps, and here they are. Black to match the wheels with a white VW logo. A buddy mentioned that they would be heavy and may disbalance the wheel, so I weighed them - 2.3 grams. I didn't think that was significant. Went to a decent speed and felt no random vibrations. So they look fine and don't disturb the wheel balance.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-valve-caps-table.jpg
Photo of valve caps on the table

Volkswagen Virtus Review-tyre-valve-cap.jpg
Photo of valve caps on the wheel

5 - Paddle Shift Extension
I would forget that my car had paddle shifters - coming from a Polo GT that didn't have them. Bought a pair from Amazon, but they were terrible quality and finally didn't even fit the existing pedals, so I just returned them right away. Didn't bother with a picture as it wouldn't add any value. I did however find a really good website dedicated to this, here:

Link: https://www.dsg-paddles.com/collecti...shifters-basic

A bit expensive at 55USD + shipping, I will be going to the states in the next month, so will get these shipped to my hotel and bring them home

6 - Sun Glasses Holder
Why VW? Why can't we have a sunglasses holder in a 21L car? In a country like India where it is VERY SUNNY! Amazon to the rescue bought the following option from Amazon. They are easy to mount and no squeaks. They even have a specific section for metal frame aviators

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Volkswagen Virtus Review-sunglasses-holder-2.jpg
As is

Volkswagen Virtus Review-sunglasses-holder-1.jpg
Holding a pair of glasses

7 - Air Vent Phone Mount + Charger for Foldables
This is a specific one for those with the galaxy fold series or a huge phone like a Pro Max or something. For me, I was unable to find something decent that could hold my Fold 4 in unfolded and folded mode. Found many chargers/holders on Amazon, but they were expensive 9-12K, and I was not willing to spend so much to hold my phone in the car.

Was randomly browsing the CRED store, like really really browsing (scrolling on and on for 10-15 mins in the electronics section), and found the exact charger and mount that I had wish-listed on Amazon for HALF the price. Its called the SEVENAIRE S1. Note: Using the USB C from the car doesn't give you full power, you need to use an adapter - which I got via the accessories package, looks cool and works well when I am in traffic and want to use my phone in the large unfolded state.

Product Link: https://sevenaire.com/collections/wi...-fast-charging

Volkswagen Virtus Review-fold-wireless-charger.jpg
As Mounted
Volkswagen Virtus Review-charger-action-gif.gif
Hope this GIF works!

8 - USB C to A adapters
Bought some adapters for the USB C ports at the back, needed one to connect my air purifier, went with the metal ones to keep the interior looking clean also most people don't have USB c to c or lighting, USB a to whatever is most common - so this takes care of the requirement

Amazon Link: USB C to A
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 - LED T10 Bulb

All the lights on the Virtus are LED, except one, the light in the boot is a regular T10, this was bothering me, so I ordered this cheap pair of T10 LED lights to replace the light in the boot. I had thought this was very straightforward, but the bulb holder puts up a fight to come off - in the end, my screwdriver won.

Amazon Link: T10 LED Bulb
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Volkswagen Virtus Review-boot-led.jpg
Photo of Boot LED

10 - Blind Spot Mirrors
Felt the current set of ORVMs were a bit small, so added these - which I do on most of my vehicles

Volkswagen Virtus Review-blind-spot-mirrors.jpg

11 - VW Original Coat Hanger + Base
When buying the car, the dealer gave me the coat hanger attachment for a very good price, however, little did I know after I paid for it that there is a base holder that is also required to make this work. So after a few weeks of not being able to use my hanger, I asked VW to let me know what it costs, and it was 4500 bucks. Hell NO. Went online to a Polish / Czech website and it was 22 euros, got it shipped and it fit as intended. No pics as I forgot to take one while writing this. Perhaps next time.

Some Issues

1 - DSG being jerky from D2 and D3 and sometimes from D3 to D2, this is happening in really slow-moving traffic when the car just shifts to D3 and then comes to a halt, I know I should keep moving to N, but the traffic movement is such that going to N even for 1-2 seconds increases the gap and people start honking, to resolve this to some extent, I go into M1 and just change to M2 myself... I hope this doesn't result in the DSG failing early, I have a 52km daily drive and am stuck in traffic for at least 30 mins on the return journey - time will tell unless someone has a solution. This was not as pronounced in my Polo GT.. not sure why as the Gbox is the same?

2 - Weird squeaking noise from below the driver's seat - as the car twists a bit when going over a speed breaker or sharp curve or even big undulations on the road, there was a squeaking noise which I felt was from under the driver's seat - first I thought that it was because I'm a bit heavy? but then I'm 80kg, and there are heavier people out there and this cannot be the reason, spoke to the service advisor he said maybe he needs to check the seat mount and tighten things... but before I could take the car to VW, I adjusted the seat height to the lowest possible setting and this has resolved the issue, for now, it will be checked when I get time to take the car to the service center as this noise still does poke its ugly head under heavy conditions

That's all folks! Now I am going to focus on saving some money for the Exhaust, Better Tyres, and Suspension (saw a post on Instagram that cobra suspension is available and drops the car by ~30mm, I am super interested in getting this done! but what would it cost me in terms of damage to the underbody when going to the hills etc - something I need to think about or I could just use my Hyryder)

Volkswagen Virtus Review-p1.jpg
Parting Shot 1

Volkswagen Virtus Review-p2.jpg
Parting Shot 2
vividhavasthi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 12:56   #808
BHPian

Finally Got the GFX mats delivered a couple of days ago. They're are pretty good, though they don't look or feel as premium as 3D kagu/Pharaoh mats. But at the price they seem pretty decent. Coverage is 95%, few edges are still exposed.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-whatsapp-image-20221208-12.35.31-1.jpeg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-whatsapp-image-20221208-12.35.31-2.jpeg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-whatsapp-image-20221208-12.35.31.jpeg

The mats for all 4 cousins seem to be of same size as shown here

Volkswagen Virtus Review-whatsapp-image-20221208-12.35.32.jpeg

However, this area on both driver and co driver side remains unprotected and is a substantial gap which will have to be vacuumed.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-whatsapp-image-20221208-12.40.23.jpeg

Also the clips don't fit securely, needs some work to ensure the mats don't move, however in my 3 days of usage i didn't find any issue.

Got them from CarHatke at ₹ 3968 for set of 3 inclusive of shipping and were delivered in 10 days.
https://carhatke.com/gfx--volkswagen...waAjSOEALw_wcB
kaushiksudra is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 09:17   #809
BHPian

Team, Please suggest a Insurance Coverage that would be similar to what VW is providing for Virtus.
Seems many of Virtus owners have opted outside insurance to save some significant amount (I assume) rather than going with dealer provided. I have been happy with ICICI and to some extent with Bajaj Allianz for my current cars and would be happy to get them.
But at the same time, do you think it's wise to let VW Dealer handle it?
Old 10th December 2022, 10:30   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
But at the same time, do you think it's wise to let VW Dealer handle it?
Absolutely not. Dealers charge highly inflated rates for the insurance. I got a quote of 60k from the dealer after negotiating. From outside I got a quote of 36k. And this included everything that the original dealers insurance had. While taking it from outside just Make sure you compare apple to apple.
raycers_honda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed