Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2023, 15:06   #886
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Query: On the Headunit (Android Auto mode) if I click on the voice/mic button and ask it to play some artist/song it says ok but never starts. First I thought it might be playing on my Google speakers at home but it was not.

Not sure what has changed but I have used AA on my brothers Polo in past and it played fine with voice prompts.
Old 3rd February 2023, 13:49   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Query: On the Headunit (Android Auto mode) if I click on the voice/mic button and ask it to play some artist/song it says ok but never starts. First I thought it might be playing on my Google speakers at home but it was not.

Not sure what has changed but I have used AA on my brothers Polo in past and it played fine with voice prompts.
I too faced this.
Firstly Check your network connection. Secondly clear the cache of the system. It should work then. It sometimes doesn't pickup when there is low network.
Another issue I faced is that the "hey google" or some thing was off or didn't have permission from my phone. I ticked marked all the options and it worked fine.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 15:07   #888
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Virtus 2023 debuts new look and version in Brazil:

Volkswagen launched the new Virtus 2023, which debuts in the Brazilian market with a restyled look along the same lines as the version that debuted in India last year.

Quote:
The new Volkswagen Virtus 2023 begins to arrive at dealerships from March 9 in versions 170 TSI (manual and automatic), Comfortline 200 TSI and Highline 200 TSI, while the top of the line Exclusive 250 TSI will hit the market in the first half. The prices of the sedan are between R$ 103,990 and R$ 144,990, that is, values of the cheapest and most expensive version of the model, which will now be marketed in five versions.
Quote:
It has new full-LED headlights with LED daytime running lights in all versions, which apparently came borrowed from nivus, plus a new front grille with two chrome friezes, one on top and one on the lower portion. The hood is also new and brings a higher profile than the previous one, in addition to a more rectilinear design. The nickname "mini-Jetta" has never made so much sense.

The front bumper is also new, bringing a larger air intake in the central part with an all-black finish, which gains glossy black contours and chrome beadings in the more expensive versions. There are also fog lights at the ends that are positioned vertically – another nivus heritage, and that fell right into the sedan. The wheels have been redesigned, with the Highline version winning a 17-inch set with diamond finish.
Engines
Quote:
The new Virtus will have three engine options: 1.0 turbo 170 TSI up to 116 hp and 16.5 kgfm of torque for the 170 TSI manual 5-speed and 170 TSI 6-speed automatic versions; 1.0 turbo 200 TSI up to 128 hp and 20.4 kgfm with 6-speed automatic transmission for comfortline and highline versions and the 1.4 turbo 250 TSI, exclusive to Virtus Exclusive and delivers up to 150 hp and 25.5 kgfm, also with 6-position automatic gearbox.
Volkswagen Virtus Review-volkswagenvirtusexclusive2024.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-lateraldovolkswagenvirtusexclusive2024-1.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-traseiradovolkswagenvirtusexclusive2024.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-traseiradovolkswagenvirtusexclusive2024-1.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-emblemalateraldovolkswagenvirtusexclusive2024.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-frentedovolkswagenvirtusexclusive2024.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-interiordovolkswagenvirtusexclusive2024.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 16:59   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
I too need help on this topic.
Plug in when I drive plug out when I stop.
I was doing this for 2 weeks then ordered a USB-C to USB A adapter and plugged the Dashcam USB to the front USB-C port. It now switches off when the car is locked. Not sure about the rear USB-C ports but the front ones are ACC controlled so no more dependency on the always on 12V socket.

Also they DO NOT support PD Charging so if you need quick charging, have a good car charger (QC or PD supported) to use with the 12V socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
12V Socket: From YouTube videos on this, it seems many VW cars used to have a provision to move the 12V socket fuse to be able engage or disengage ACC mode power instead of it getting power all the time. Has anyone explored it? I will definitely check with Service Advisor on my 1st visit.
I checked, the Fuse box in Virtus does not have this provision.

Last edited by vidyanand : 3rd February 2023 at 17:00.
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 00:28   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
VW Virtus 2023 debuts new look and version in Brazil:

Volkswagen launched the new Virtus 2023, which debuts in the Brazilian market with a restyled look along the same lines as the version that debuted in India last year.
Wish we got the black Color in India. It makes the car look so much more luxurious and sportier.
Also love the subtle skirts, the front grill treatment etc.
For those who ask the perennial question of which one to go for i.e, 1.0 or 1.5, here’s my answer.
If your on a budget go for the 1.0 blindly. It has enough power and grunt to reach expressway speeds in seconds. It has enough power to travel with four full size adults with a fully packed boot. It does not feel underpowered at all. While there is one negative point which I would like to be honest about is that with the 1.0 3 cylinder engine you will have to shift down to a lower gear more often than you would with a 1.5. But that’s when your on the ghat sections. Otherwise it moves like the wind. Go ahead, knock your self out and purchase the 1.0.
Here’s my 6 month old 1.0 tsi manual Virtus which is now almost reaching 5k kms. Loving the 1.0 tsi.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-1fe5cc185ef3451ea1a8be796ba88ab6.jpeg
Fully loaded boot, luggage for four adults.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-8f9c03c12bbc4986a14cafd975f38950.jpeg
Carbon steel grey. Would have loved to have black. Good thing is that when it’s dark at night it looks almost black.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-e6507cae52b740fdb8f3cf55974a3f52.jpeg[QUO
raycers_honda is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 01:08   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For those who ask the perennial question of which one to go for i.e, 1.0 or 1.5, here’s my answer.
If your on a budget go for the 1.0 blindly. It has enough power and grunt to reach expressway speeds in seconds. It has enough power to travel with four full size adults with a fully packed boot. It does not feel underpowered at all. While there is one negative point which I would like to be honest about is that with the 1.0 3 cylinder engine you will have to shift down to a lower gear more often than you would with a 1.5. But that’s when your on the ghat sections. Otherwise it moves like the wind. Go ahead, knock your self out and purchase the 1.0.

Attachment 2414430[QUO
Agreed! People forget that the 1.0 still makes more power than the top spec Polo GT, Vento, Rapid etc from a few years ago.
Old 4th February 2023, 02:50   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really think that if Skoda can launch a Slavia with the black paint scheme of the Brazilian Virtus and the all-beige seats of the African export-spec Polo Sedan, and change the orange dash insert and Virtual Cockpit background to silver/white, it will be worthy of a Laurin & Klement badge.
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 12:13   #893

Quote:
VW Virtus 2023 debuts new look and version in Brazil
I would just travel to Brazil to pickup those alloys and the full scale digital cockpit, if I can. It is quite sad that the current digital cockpit only displays minimal information. Navigation, active TPMS, and a parallel display with Speed + Tacho is sorely missed.
IceManMK1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 13:19   #894
BHPian

Took delivery of the Virtus GT on 28 December 2022 and covered 5335 kms.
  • Was looking for an upgrade from Vento TDI MT 2013 January manufactured (clocked 1.52L kms). Vento served me well with no major issues in the last ten years and never left us stranded in any long drive, except ABS sensors going kaput countless times. There were few regular maintenance works and other issues, mostly post 1L kms:
    • There was some engine oil leak around 45k kms, which required replacement of cylinder head cover (covered under warranty after writing to customer care and some running around)
    • AC compressor had to be replaced (always drove with 100% AC on) and also timing belt changed (around 1L kms)
    • One injector failure (1.2L kms)
    • Coolant tank-water pump-timing belt (around 1.25L kms),
    • Front suspension overhaul (at 1.4L kms).
    • Turbo gave up at 1.45L kms and was replaced (from its cousins lying idle at an FNG).
    • Steering rack and clutch assembly were untouched till date, and definitely needed attention, so did the rear suspension.
  • Though, I would have still kept the vehicle for daily office commute, it was getting difficult to plan long trips and there wasn't enough space in the garage. So, finally I had to let it go with a feeling that I enjoyed every moment spent with it.
  • The ownership was transferred rather quickly to an enthusiastic gentlemen (after explaining to him in detail, all the jobs done thus far and that needed to be addressed immediately), who wanted exactly the same car, to immediately replace his own accident damaged car. The guy couldn't believe that the vehicle was in an immaculate condition after so many years.
  • Final pic before handing over (with team bhp stickers de-badged). Vento both looked and drove like new, even on the day of transfer

Volkswagen Virtus Review-ventoj1.jpg

Going for Virtus/Slavia was a natural choice, with nothing much on the horizon in the 20L price bracket. Having heard so much about the 1.5L version, mind was set on this. Only two other options were briefly considered: Jeep Compass and Octavia.
  • I was not sure I needed the power of Octavia for day to day commute and occasional highway trips. Loved the Compass but then I would have gone for diesel MT. Took the test drive and instantly felt like a bigger+more powerful Vento! Even my wife liked the interiors and build quality, but lack of boot space was not something we could live with. Felt, both were overpriced for what they offer and were crossing our budget anyway.

Now, having known the VW service and staff for a while (read indifferent service and unclear communication etc., which I learnt how to handle), and, with the Vento never spending more than a day in the service centre (except on rare occasions) with a single visit to workshop per year, I put my money on their India 2.0 project. Looks wise, I loved the GT design to Slavia. I had an existing booking for Virtus GT long back, but still took some persuasion to get the car allotted to me (with absolutely no discounts other than loyalty discount). There was not even an exchange bonus for GT version. It seems Virtus 1L was getting priority and the SA's were getting benefitted only for meeting year targets of Taigun (1L and 1.5 DSG) and Virtus (1L variants only). Sorry for the unclear pic below (taken during my last visit to showroom while paying the balance amount), if you can make it out.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-virtus_dhamaka.jpg

Finally, the car was delivered on 28 December 2022 and after brief puja, we left for a drive next day!
  • First 1500 kms and run in period were done in a breeze, with a visit to Chilika Lake and surroundings. Rest 3500 was covered on a 9 day family trip: Bhubaneswar-Aurangabad-Nasik-Lonavala-Shirdi and back (Travelogue in preparation). I took the car to where it belongs

Volkswagen Virtus Review-virtus_sam.jpg
Volkswagen Virtus Review-virtus_sam2.jpg
  • Did the stretch twice, once during day and the other time in the evening/night. Both experiences were nothing short of exhilarating ! The car performed brilliantly and there was no fatigue even after 11+ hours of non-stop driving in a day, with minimal rest, on multiple occasions.
  • Engine-Gear box combo is a gem, notwithstanding the reliability issues. Relaxed/calm when driven sedately, and delivers the performance when required. Mid and Top range are awesome. On an expressway, you hit unmentionable speeds rather quickly and the car is both relaxed and rock solid. 120 feels like 80.
  • Low end is little jerky and I still haven't figured out how to do it smoothly. I shift to M when possible, especially at speed breakers. With some practice the low end lag can probably be mastered. Shifting from MT to DSG is easy, but the my driving style has changed significantly. I shift to N at traffic signals and keep fingers crossed on the future of the DSG gear box. Oh yes, having read the stories on the forum, I took that extended warranty without even thinking (Just assume it as an accessory which is added to the car price). I straightaway rejected compulsory 11k worth accessories from VW, better to go with horn upgrade, and separately got the Pharaoh 3D floor mats, which so far are perfect.
  • Suspension is well calibrated (definitely a bit stiff). I kept 34 PSI for highway drive, but for city day to day drives, I leave it at 32. The car (and also steering) feels bit lighter than Vento (may be because the TDI made too much noise) and remains lighter even at highway speeds (the one on Vento felt heavier). The car came with Goodyears and left them as they are.
  • Haven't faced any issues with AC so far. Left the Auto Climate control at 22 and never needed to change in the entire kms covered so far, though we are at the end of winter and need to see how it performs in the summer.
  • Lights are pretty good and no major complaints. The tail light design takes the looks of the car to another level and attracts attention.
  • Quality of materials used in the interior could have been better, like say Jeep Compass ! (but probably the price will shoot up proportionately). Anyway, I do not care now, especially because of the way the car drives !
  • Sorely missed feature is the windows one-touch up down, which I regularly used in the Vento.
  • The window motor also makes rough noise as pointed out by others.
  • There is more space than required on the driver side (between the seats and door). This makes it difficult to rest the hand while driving. I am pretty tall and used to the a laid back driving style (sit a bit lower too with steering in the farthest/lowest possible position). Can't seem to adjust yet or need to calibrate this further: work in progress. Anyway, it didn't give me any issues in the long drive at all.
  • FE is around 15-16 when driving sedately with a mix of city and highway traffic. FE drops to 12-14 even on the highway, with heavy right foot or sudden accelerations. This is where the Vento TDI used to shine. I managed to match ARAI rating on a short highway drive.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-virtus2j.jpg
stringbh is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 12:26   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sai View Post
Can you help me with how your installation went and was it at an FNG? How well hidden is the wiring and do you have any suggestions for hiding the wiring well. Did you connect it to the fusebox directly for power in an accessory port?
Thanks for the information in advance.
Apologies for the late reply, the installation was DIY. I bought the hardwire kit & connected it to the fuse box, which is right below the steering & easily accessible by popping out a small plastic piece. Not complicated, keep the car manual handy so that you can identify which fuse slot you want to use. You have ample provision to route the cables unseen, albeit it will be a little visible, at the point where you connect them to the cameras.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 14:06   #896
BANNED

Latest issue of ACI has this to say about the Virtus:
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-6c81520d280448d0bdbd03a3ab5875ac.jpeg  

EV NXT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 17:42   #897
BHPian

Quote:
A quick look at the 1.0 tsi manual engine bay.
Looks small but packs enough of grunt for a 1.0.
Even I was worried about the coolant level in my 5 month old Virtus GT touching the minimum mark. The level looked exactly like yours did. So contacted my SA and sent him an image over WhatsApp to confirm if it is something that needs to be looked into. But he said it’s NORMAL. Keeping my fingers crossed and going to order a premixed coolant just in case something untoward happens during a long drive.

Image sent to my SA(5 months after taking delivery):
Volkswagen Virtus Review-4f394078eadf423288bbec0c19719296.jpeg

Image taken during my initial PDA(during which I failed to notice the coolant level):
Volkswagen Virtus Review-10c5d78168a74feba727e903fa82ab65.jpeg

As can be seen from the images, the levels are pretty much the same. This at least gives me the peace of mind that there is nothing wrong with the coolant pump or the tubes.
The reason I’m skeptical is these are relatively new cars in the Indian market and the SA might not be informed properly about the coolant levels.
It would be really helpful if fellow BHPians who own Taigun or Virtus can confirm the correct coolant level.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th February 2023 at 07:06. Reason: Please avoid quoting a full long post. Thank you!
true_sedan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 19:16   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
BHPians who own Taigun or Virtus can confirm the correct coolant level.
Check coolant level when engine is hot or at least working temperature. As coolant expands. Read the manual, this what it said more than a decade back for VW 1.6 TDi.

Also use only VW G12 Coolant and not any roadside available coolant. For your own cars safety.

Lastly coolant are filled for life and there is no replacement needed. Only top up.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 18:23   #899

Hi fellow bhpians,
I have booked Virtus highline AT. Is it worth going for active tpms which is provided as an accessory or the tire deflation warning system in the car is enough. I am not able to understand how tire deflation system works.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10th February 2023, 12:24   #900
BHPian

Hi, I’ve noticed every time I’m travelling on uneven patches without anyone sitting beside on the rider seat on my 3 week old Virtus, there is a rattle noise from the left side B pillar. First I thought about visiting the service centre but then realised that it’s due to the seat belt buckle hitting against the B pillar. Anyone else noticed this and is there a solution for this ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks