Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2023, 12:02   #976
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Any inputs on the provided dongle fixed in the Virtus? Not sure if it even used 3G because the trips takes lot of time to get updated in the app.
I have seen last year posts in Taigun thread where people have seemed to used the dongle to provide hotspot connection to their Head unit but that does not work now (may be I have not tried enough), but that would have been cool feature if enabled.

Also how to stop this momentary chime on every quick acceleration and brake? When I got the car, I wanted it to be activated quickly but now feel it does not necessarily give any usable info other than realtime voltage reading.

Last edited by vidyanand : 10th March 2023 at 12:02. Reason: Punctuation
Old 10th March 2023, 12:20   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Any inputs on the provided dongle fixed in the Virtus? Not sure if it even used 3G because the trips takes lot of time to get updated in the app.
I have seen last year posts in Taigun thread where people have seemed to used the dongle to provide hotspot connection to their Head unit but that does not work now (may be I have not tried enough), but that would have been cool feature if enabled.

Also how to stop this momentary chime on every quick acceleration and brake? When I got the car, I wanted it to be activated quickly but now feel it does not necessarily give any usable info other than realtime voltage reading.

Not sure about the hotspot, but you can get rid of the chime alerts on your phone by going to settings > notification alerts and unchecking the parameters you don’t want. At least that’s how it should work. I agree that this app is a most half-baked effort and is full of useless features and skips useful ones like an online service record visible on demand. Has anyone found out if the geo-fencing/time-fencing feature works at all? The UI is pretty poor, given the pedigree of the brand. I guess there are stuff you can’t beat the Asians at
SUVolens is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 12:30   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Not sure about the hotspot, but you can get rid of the chime alerts on your phone by going to settings > notification alerts and unchecking the parameters you don’t want. ...
Has anyone found out if the geo-fencing/time-fencing feature works at all?
It should have worked but those only avoid phone notifications. Phone notifications can be controlled. I have set it to only important ones like impact, tow, low fuel, low battery, etc.
But the chime is still there in the car head unit for every acceleration and braking.

Infact, I wanted to try the geo-fence one. Let me enable it for the next drive and update back.

Last edited by vidyanand : 10th March 2023 at 12:42.
Old 10th March 2023, 15:16   #979
BHPian

Quote:
The 1000 km service was done a couple of weeks back. However, I did go ahead and fix the now available hood insulation. It cost 856/- at the VW Noida dealership. Now here’s the rub - I tried to see if there’s any appreciable difference in NHV with this new add-on and I have to admit, I’m a bit saddened. The piece of felt does it’s job only too well. The addictive snarl I loved out of the 1.5 EVO motor under hard acceleration is now all but gone.
A question regarding your car's cousin, the Slavia 1.5 - I see the first service at 15,000 km for the Slavia, but I guess your Virtus GT had a service 1000 km. Was it something I missed? What aspects were covered in your first service of 1000 km?

On the sound insulation part - I had the same apprehension that you're talking about. So I asked the service person to cancel the order.
Old 10th March 2023, 15:27   #980
BHPian

Hi. Actually my bad - the technical 1st service is 15,000 kms/1 year for the Virtus as well and all VAG cars. The 1000 km service is the first check up that the users manual instructs. Nothing much done here - basic overall inspection for fluids, functions and software updates if available. Also, beyond this, the restrictive speeds for running-in is partly removed. One can now safely rev the engine almost to 80% of its rev limits of 6500 rpm. Full abandon is recommended only after the 6000 km/6 months checkup, but there are mixed opinions on this.
SUVolens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 15:31   #981
BHPian

Quote:
It should have worked but those only avoid phone notifications. Phone notifications can be controlled. I have set it to only important ones like impact, tow, low fuel, low battery, etc.
But the chime is still there in the car head unit for every acceleration and braking.

Infact, I wanted to try the geo-fence one. Let me enable it for the next drive and update back.
You mean you get you get warning chimes on your head unit for these? That’s weird. None of this on mine except for the two speed warnings at 80 kmph and the permanent ding on 120+ Now I’m curious if others face the same issue.
Old 10th March 2023, 15:32   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
A question regarding your car's cousin, the Slavia 1.5 - I see the first service at 15,000 km for the Slavia, but I guess your Virtus GT had a service 1000 km. Was it something I missed? What aspects were covered in your first service of 1000 km?
These are regular check ups in the first year which is the norm.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-screenshot_20230308_003631_chrome.jpg  

RaiAnish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 15:39   #983
BHPian

Quote:
You mean you get you get warning chimes on your head unit for these? That’s weird. None of this on mine except for the two speed warnings at 80 kmph and the permanent ding on 120+ Now I’m curious if others face the same issue.
Yes. No visual warning or display. Just a chime that momentarily reduces the music volume. I will try to record and share for feedback from other forum members.
Old 11th March 2023, 21:33   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. No visual warning or display. Just a chime that momentarily reduces the music volume. I will try to record and share for feedback from other forum members.
Looks like the sound from Sygic notifications. Disable notification from Sygic maps and check again.
Old 12th March 2023, 00:08   #985
BHPian

I’ve been noticing a clattering noise from below the car when coasting down a ramp or slowing for a bump and moving away again - basically, whenever the dsg is deciding between D1 and D2. Mine’s a GT. Is this the normal ‘dry clutch behaviour’ I keep reading so much about or is it something that should be a worry?
Old 13th March 2023, 16:48   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msri3here View Post
Looks like the sound from Sygic notifications. Disable notification from Sygic maps and check again.
So I figured out the notification and hence new question. It was coming from Google Maps notifications on phone when connected via Android Auto.
I drove without phone connection with sudden acceleration and brakes and it did not come up, next time had to look at phone for every sound and seems it happens for Maps notifications. They come up on phone for every new road I turn into even without actually running Navigation. That gave me the impression that it comes up on sudden acceleration as would speed up naturally after turns.

So the question, is there a way to stop it? I have already tried Maps setting on Headunit while running AA to show only alert, it still comes up. Will try no alert to check if navigation voice works normally and only these alerts are silenced.

Not sure what is the point of showing every road/service road as a notification when you do not even want to look at maps.

Edit: Found some ways to get rid of it on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto...his_permanent/
Will give a try.

Last edited by vidyanand : 13th March 2023 at 16:55. Reason: Added solution from reddit.
Old 13th March 2023, 20:33   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone found out if the geo-fencing/time-fencing feature works at all?
Yes it works and shows this alert. Can be set as one time or recurring. Also has option to set time window.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_20230313_202944.jpg  

Old 14th March 2023, 11:50   #988
BHPian

Quote:
I’ve been noticing a clattering noise from below the car when coasting down a ramp or slowing for a bump and moving away again - basically, whenever the dsg is deciding between D1 and D2. Mine’s a GT. Is this the normal ‘dry clutch behaviour’ I keep reading so much about or is it something that should be a worry?
Even I faced the same issue in my Virtus GT. But it went away with time as the DSG learned from my driving behaviour. Atleast thats what I thought but after my 7500 km inspection service I'm getting the clattering noise again as DSG is confused whether to shift between D2 or D1 from D3 when slowing for speed bumps. I think the software update during the inspection service reset the DSG behaviour and with time it may once again go away.

My thoughts:
1) DSG learns from your driving behaviour. So, I would suggest not to let anyone else drive your car for at least a few thousand kilometers.
2) Don't brake at the last moment to slow your car before a speed bump. Always slow down gradually.
3) When tackling bad roads switch to M1 from D1. This way clutch slipping can be avoided. Yes, it will impact FE but bad FE is better than a confused DSG.
4) Limit driving Virtus GT in peak traffic as the stop-go traffic will put immense strain on the transmission. I use my virtus 90% of the times for highways.
5) Never let those DSG sounds play into your mind. DSG has come a long way in the last 15 years of its existence and it is the most fun to drive transmission ever.
true_sedan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 12:17   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
Even I faced the same issue in my Virtus GT. But it went away with time as the DSG learned from my driving behaviour. Atleast thats what I thought but after my 7500 km inspection service I'm getting the clattering noise again as DSG is confused whether to shift between D2 or D1 from D3 when slowing for speed bumps. I think the software update during the inspection service reset the DSG behaviour and with time it may once again go away.

My thoughts:
1) DSG learns from your driving behaviour. So, I would suggest not to let anyone else drive your car for at least a few thousand kilometers.

Thanks for putting me somewhat at ease I do follow all the points you mentioned regarding the re-learnings of driving a DSG and believe me, it takes all of my concentration plying through Delhi traffic (rarely when I do), counter-intuiting whatever muscle-memories I had from the simpler TC of a Ford Endeavour. But I shall overcome.

Regarding the bit about the ‘learning gearbox’, it’s a funny thing, but even Ford marketed their TC as one and the jury is out there on the VW DSG. Apparently, while the ZF boxes of a BMW truly incorporate some AI learning and some such, the 7 speed DSG in our Virtus’ merely computes basis instant inputs from the throttle position etc to preselect the next gear. Doesn’t really have memory. Here’s a read https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=23&t=1713748
SUVolens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 12:34   #990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I’ve been noticing a clattering noise from below the car when coasting down a ramp or slowing for a bump and moving away again. Mine’s a GT. Is this the normal ‘dry clutch behaviour’ I keep reading so much about or is it something that should be a worry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
I'm getting the clattering noise again as DSG is confused whether to shift between D2 or D1 from D3 when slowing for speed bumps. I think the software update during the inspection service reset the DSG behaviour and with time it may once again go away.
5) Never let those DSG sounds play into your mind. DSG has come a long way in the last 15 years of its existence and it is the most fun to drive transmission ever.
Guys, the DSG gearbox follows the same slotting principle as a manual gearbox where the shifts happen with a collar pushing a gear into its engaged position and retrieving it to disengage that gear. This action is assisted by synchroniser rings. While in manual transmission these collars are moved by the gear shift cables, in DSG it is moved by hydraulic solenoids which fire at a high pressure to move the collar and engage gear.

If you have driven a manual transmission you would definitely experience that slotting into first gear when the car is moving requires more effort than when the car is stationary. This same effect happens in the DSG when the hydraulic solenoid tries to engage first gear while the car is still above 10kmph. This is the case when we go over undulations on the road while the car is in D2 since the DSG tries to switch to D1 in this case, which is preceeded by the engagement noise. This does not occur when we slow down the car on a normal surface since the transmission tries to stay in D2 even below 10kmph and only engages D1 below 5kmph at least in my car.

It is completely natural to expect such noises in any electro-mechanical gearbox like DSG, AMT etc due to the movement of these components inside it. However in TC ATs these noises are non existent because they operate on a system of clutches and brakes whose engagement/disengagement is smoother and so are the shift lags.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks