Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2022, 14:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Which is a better buy - Slavia or Virtus? or is it a toss of the coin?

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th May 2022 at 20:24. Reason: small typo
Old 6th May 2022, 14:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
Which is a better buy - Slavia or Vitrius? or is it a toss of the coin?
Guess it drills down to the support in the respective city.

Atleast in Bangalore I will go for Slavia. Skoda service here is great and even the showrooms are more lively than VW.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 14:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Both are based on same platform. However, its a choice of sleekness vs bold stance. They both will age well just like the Octavia and Jetta have over the years!! SAVWIPL have hit the right notes and they have kept room for improvement in the facelifts for the future. Excellent sedans!!
Old 6th May 2022, 15:46   #19
BHPian

Well written review as expected covering small bits from customer POV. Having pre-booked the Virtus 1.5 DSG, I will continue to keep my booking based on the sorted reviews received for the car.

Will TD to take a final call, I have my inclination towards a manual 1.5 for obvious reasons but booked Virtus DSG for the looks and good VW service received for my Polo for last 10 years.

Wished VW had taken few extra steps for the 1.5 - lowered ground clearance, stiffer suspension along with 17 inch wheels, steering wheels with more weight would have made this car the real 'GT'. Otherwise the car is a beauty, for GT i guess colors like Red, White, Kurkuma Yellow and Rising Blue would suit more.

Is anybody aware by when the cars would be reaching showrooms?
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 16:38   #20
BHPian

I have been watching all the reviews from various Youtube channels since morning & I would say I just fell in love with the looks of this car. Especially because of the height and coupe-like look of this car.

When the entire Indian car market is leaning towards the SUVs and so called SUVs, VW and Skoda have brought in these 2 delightful options for the sedan lovers. As a Vento owner, I would definitely consider Virtus as an option whenever I decide to change my car.
DheerajNK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 16:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I feel that adding Type-C USB ports is not a good idea as most people still use regular USB cables today
If it is backed up with the right hardware, USB C can deliver more charging power. (USB-informed techies please comment!). Those with devices which can use that power would be glad not to be limited by the "regular" USB socket.

In any case, think of it like this...

New car: @ Rs.20,00,000
New cables: @ Rs.299

Maybe splash out and get red-covered cables for a red car

Honestly, I am a stick-in-the-mud with a big drawer full of old cables. I did not welcome my first "C" device. But really, the old stuff is the old stuff. I'm quite impressed to see this up-to-date detail!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 16:50   #22
BHPian

Looks great and better that Slavia. A nice addon to the Sedan space along with City.

VW's 2.0 version reeks cost cutting effort. No Diesel in the lineup and No manual in the 1.5 is going to be a deal breaker. People wanting the 1.5 and doesn't want the infamous DSG has to look elsewhere.

Don't see this challenging the City's Numero Uno spot.
Old 6th May 2022, 16:55   #23
BHPian

Thats a crisp review!

A question on the ventilated seats - The Taigun GT plus 1.5 does not come with this feature even though its available on the top end 1.0 version. Is this the same case for the Virtus?
Old 6th May 2022, 17:07   #24
BHPian

In recent times I get to hear a lot about 3 cylinder, 1.0L turbo petrol engine both in manual and automatic versions.

Owning a linea tjet which has a bigger turbo, how does this engine compare with it. I mean if the car is fully loaded with 4 folks and luggage, will it perform as effortlessly?
Are they technologically more competent? Or its still "there is no replacement for displacement".

Would it be a worthy replacement for the Tjet?
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 17:16   #25
BHPian

Overall looks like a brilliant package. This is coming from a very happy Honda City owner who never had an eye for the typical VW design language. I feel a lot of the Virtus GT owners would be sending these blingy appliques to be hyrdo-dipped in the carbon fibre look. That would be HOT!
Old 6th May 2022, 17:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post

Wished VW had taken few extra steps for the 1.5 - lowered ground clearance, stiffer suspension along with 17 inch wheels, steering wheels with more weight would have made this car the real 'GT'. Otherwise the car is a beauty, for GT i guess colors like Red, White, Kurkuma Yellow and Rising Blue would suit more.
Thats what I would have done straight out of the showroom if I get Virtus or Slavia 1.5. Lowering springs and 17 inch wheels and you are sorted (will lose out on some warranty though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post

Would it be a worthy replacement for the Tjet?
I wouldnt say 1 TSI is a worthy replacement for T Jet, 1.5 TSI would be with some compromise while bettering on few other things.

Last edited by sunikkat : 6th May 2022 at 17:23.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 17:23   #27

Major let down is not offering a MT with 1.5L engine. Was there any indication that it would be offered in future or they are done with it.

Virtus MT in 1.5 would be a real good car for most of them due to the unreliable DSG gear box.
While i was watching the Autocar India review, they did mention about the MT gear box for 1.5 . Below is the link for reference.

( Gavin mentions about the MT gear box at 6:49 Minutes )
vpbops is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 19:07   #28

A great review as always!!!

Sedans are a dying class of cars and I'm happy there are still some manufacturers launching newer products from their stable. Virtus is one such beautiful car with clean and proportionate classic sedan design, not too loud like some of the newer compact SUVs. This is my personal taste and it definitely varies but I drool over the classics like the original Ford Fiesta, Ford Ikon, the Fluidic Hyundai Verna... you get the drift. And Virtus just makes the cut for the classic style save for the front bumper grille that in my opinion is a bit overdone. Look closely and the front looks like an aged toothless guy grinning.

The engine options are perfect for both a petrolhead or a family man going to a gala event. And if you're not too concerned about the fuel prices this car should be able to strike most of the right chords. Had I not have other plans for me, I would've definitely booked the top trim 1.0TSI.
Old 6th May 2022, 19:24   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If shopping in this segment, I will head to the service/ stores of both and ask for replacement costs of DSG and then decide based on wherever is cheaper

Frankly, I do not understand the efforts put by the VW group in having 2 cars based on the same platform for a tiny market they are targeting. Probably, would have made sense to have cheaper models in Skoda & premium in VW.

Instead of managing so many operational challenges/ costs of having two different body panels, interiors, and practically most visible components they could have saved some monies by giving higher volumes to their vendors, focusing on one model only. Europe and other markets are very different, VW is very strong in some areas and so does Skoda in others. What makes sense in the EU does not necessarily fit in India.

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I But really, the old stuff is the old stuff.
Coming from a golden-ager

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th May 2022 at 20:25. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Turbanator is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 19:49   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsaxena View Post
Sedans are a dying class of cars and I'm happy there are still some manufacturers launching newer products from their stable.
Funny (ironic?)... I've only been in India 17 years, and when I came here, hatchbacks were very much the second-class car!

I always think that the flexible carrying possibilities of a hatchback are superior. But in reality, there is one furniture load that I have carried in the past decade, I seldom carry more than a family shop.

The small boot of my London Rover 620, though was the worst of both worlds. And I did one try to get a desk into it with the seat down. Not possible, except in bits, which is what I had to do. So if there is a boot, it has to be a decent boot. Especially as those saloon boot hinges literally slice through the boot capacity.

On the whole then, I guess I'm not as wedded to hatchbacks as I think. But I would miss the rear wiper.

Quote:
I drool over the classics like the original Ford Fiesta
The original Ford Fiesta was a hatchback! I had one in London, c. 1989.

Design elements are going to march on with time, whether I like them or not. I do think that increasing touch controls, rather than more tactile knobs and buttons, is a safety issue even more than aesthetic, but it looks like the future.

I dislike the body-coloured interior detailing. Not a deal breaker: films can be applied even to small details.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed