Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2022, 20:22   #31
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If shopping in this segment, I will head to the service/ stores of both and ask for replacement costs of DSG and then decide based on wherever is cheaper
+1 and also the Service center competence. You don't want to suffer like this and many more in this forum.
Old 6th May 2022, 20:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbops View Post
While i was watching the Autocar India review, they did mention about the MT gear box for 1.5 . Below is the link for reference.
Totally agree with you. Even I observed Gavin's comment while watching the review and was surprised by that.
I have booked a 1.0 MT Virtus as there was no 1.5 MT available. But if at launch they confirm a 1.5 MT I will surely change my booking to that.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th May 2022 at 02:20. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 6th May 2022, 20:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, I do not understand the efforts put by the VW group in having 2 cars based on the same platform for a tiny market they are targeting. Probably, would have made sense to have cheaper models in Skoda & premium in VW.
Make that 4 cars currently with the Kushaq/Taigun combo. They are essentially selling a dozen variants of essentially 2 cars (Taigun & Slavia) . Of course, Hyundai/Kia are doing the same with the Seltos and Creta, but that's about it. Hyundai and Kia are essentially separate entities in India itself unlike Skoda-VW India. Also, Kia is bringing in sufficient distinction with its Carens and Sonet lineup. And finally, they are selling more than 4-5 times the number of cars across the mid/upper C segment cars than Skoda-VW.
Having said all of that, my personal experience with VW Polo was quite good, its service cost never felt exorbitant , no feeling of having been cheated during service, and DQ200 also behaved quite well. I hope these sedans do well. They look nice and worthy of an upgrade from say, a hatchback or a regular sedan like the Ciaz/Dzire/Aura/Tigor.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 6th May 2022 at 20:48.
Old 6th May 2022, 21:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Frankly, I do not understand the efforts put by the VW group in having 2 cars based on the same platform for a tiny market they are targeting. Probably, would have made sense to have cheaper models in Skoda & premium in VW.
Wouldnt that be other way around? - that is if they would have made cars distinct the operating costs would have been higher. In this case most of the parts, vendors etc might be more or less same and hence the cost less too.
Also this multiple products are actually bringing them more sales than ever. For eg: Kushaq alone doesnt have the potential to hit 5k sales in India considering the Skoda dealer network, petrol only model, reputation of Skoda service and multiple other factors. Infact even before Taigun launched they never did more than 3k. Now with Taigun and Kushaq together they are hitting close to 5k monthly. Similar would be the case for Slavia and Virtus - individually I dont think either of this would do 5k even if one cease to exist, but combined they might do close to 5k.
So from my point of view its not a bad strategy overall - lesser cost in developing the products, staying relevant in the market and getting more profits than before

Last edited by sunikkat : 6th May 2022 at 21:08.
sunikkat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 21:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If it is backed up with the right hardware, USB C can deliver more charging power. (USB-informed techies please comment!). Those with devices which can use that power would be glad not to be limited by the "regular" USB socket.
That's USB PD ports you are referring to. I don't know whether they come as standard on any model. However, some car chargers do provide USB PD (65 W) support on devices that do provide the option; includes smartphones, tablets and some ultrabooks.

Link to one available on the market
https://www.stuffcool.com/collection...e-a-qc3-0-port
subie_socal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 23:30   #36
Team-BHP Support

Can someone pls. tell me what features are additional in the Virtus vis a vis the Slavia?

So far all I can see is that the Virtus misses features but doesn't have anything additional. The features missing are quite a few as mentioned in review:

- no smartphone holders on the front seatbacks
- no ticket clip on the windshield
- no elastic band in the doorpad to keep items in place, or even something as simple as the small reflective tapes on the doors
- no subwoofer!
- no clever bottle holder

The Virtus does look smashing but the alloy wheels seriously are very boring and cheap design looking.

The Slavia has a better alloy wheel design and overall the better package with the features and the option of 1.5L TSI MT.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 23:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
- no smartphone holders on the front seatbacks
- no ticket clip on the windshield
- no elastic band in the doorpad to keep items in place, or even something as simple as the small reflective tapes on the doors
- no subwoofer!
- no clever bottle holder
I still don't get how much will they be saving from deleting such simple but efficient features. Bean counters have gone all blazing in with Virtus!
subie_socal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 00:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
So far all I can see is that the Virtus misses features but doesn't have anything additional. The features missing are quite a few as mentioned in review:
Another feature difference is that Slavia gets a TPMS system while Virtus gets a tire pressure deflation warning system instead. I am not sure if the latter is a subset of the former or is it something better.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th May 2022 at 02:20. Reason: Quote trimmed.
skarthiksr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 02:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone pls. tell me what features are additional in the Virtus vis a vis the Slavia?

The Slavia has a better alloy wheel design and overall the better package with the features and the option of 1.5L TSI MT.
Oh, oh - oodles of chrome!

You're right; the Slavia is the more complete package of the two, including some rather nifty touches, along with the tasty 1.5 MT powertrain (which may be available on the Virtus at launch).

I found the Virtus's design to be neutral on the outside, but I'd much rather prefer the Slavia's interior. Expectedly, both the cousins mirror each other in the performance and dynamics department, so the choice will be largely down to design preferences (inside out) and service quality of the brands.
RoverX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 02:39   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
New car: @ Rs.20,00,000
New cables: @ Rs.299
you won the internets today with this comment. i was thinking the exact same thing. USB-C cables aren't too expensive.

coming back to the car, I think deleting the subwoofer wasn't the best idea. I wish they kept it and probably deleted something else to lower the costs vs a slavia. those red inserts on the dashboard come to mind.

VW has been receiving flak for quite some time for their hard plastics all over the world. I am very surprised why they haven't worked on this feedback. In today's world hard plastics just look cheap irrespective of how well they are put together. the panel gaps and the exterior finish is spot on.

seriously considering the 1.5 instead of a used octavia. not sure where I'll land as I just cant find a worthy octavia anywhere in delhi-ncr. (looking for post 2019 with virtual cockpit or a VRS230). I think lowering springs and 17 inch wheels should take care of the weird rear overhang, and might make it look a bit more sporty. it is a smart looking car, I just think they've ruined it a little to add some GC.

i wish they didn't delete the subwoofer though.
amitverma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 07:51   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
if they would have made cars distinct, the operating costs would have been higher. In this case, most of the parts, vendors etc., might be more or less the same and hence cost less.
My question is, why does the VW group need similar cars from group companies. Can they simply not focus on one of the models instead and build numbers? Or even simpler, they could have given all sedans to Skoda and kept SUV with VW.

Quote:
So from my point of view it's not a bad strategy overall - lesser cost in developing the products, staying relevant in the market and getting more profits than before
I will not go for predicting numbers, but if we take March numbers for Kushaq & Taigun, collectively, these are less than 6K. If VW had launched just one model instead of these two, do you think they would have sold only half?

The challenges of having different models in CKD are immense. This will also reflect in ownership costs down the years. Regarding Hyundai/ Kia, they do much higher numbers, and Kia is perceived as a superior brand (from my tiny office circle- I may be wrong)

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th May 2022 at 07:56.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 08:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I will not go for predicting numbers, but if we take March numbers for Kushaq & Taigun, collectively, these are less than 6K. If VW had launched just one model instead of these two, do you think they would have sold only half?
It’s all speculation at this stage, but that’s what I feel. I don’t think Kushaq would have done 5k units even if Taigun wasn’t available. Skoda dealer network is less and there are many who would not buy anything from Skoda with the perception they have ( mainly Skoda is responsible). For same reason many wouldn’t buy Taigun. So I doubt individually they would have made only 60 to 70% of their combined numbers. And that’s where if we see Kushaq numbers were more or less same Pre and Post launch of Taigun. Also personally I think Kushaq and Taigun have different design language. One is youthful while other is matured.
We would be surprised, but still there are vast number of people who still don’t know that Skoda is part of VW. Infact my cousin who got Polo couple of years back did not know that VW owns Skoda, Audi, Porsche etc. Even bad there are people who don’t even know what is the BHP or Torque numbers of the car they have. And they see these as cars from 2 competitors

Last edited by sunikkat : 7th May 2022 at 08:18.
sunikkat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 09:30   #43

In the Autocar review, at around 6:50, the reviewer states that VW has hinted the possibility of a manual transmission for the Virtus 1.5 by the time the vehicle gets formally launched. That would be a clincher. Keeping fingers crossed and awaiting inputs from fellow members here.
Old 7th May 2022, 09:45   #44
BHPian

Slap on some Bilstein shocks, remap the ECU and delete the chrome - you’ve got the perfect sleeper here. Would pick this over the Slavia any day!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 09:55   #45
BHPian

Great review that was much awaited!

Full props for VW for getting a sedan in a market that is otherwise dominated with compact SUVs.

I really like the Virtus but what they have done with the pricing has essentially made the car enter Jetta territory more than VW Vento/Rapid area making it somewhat inaccessible to the market segment of the latter. I would not have any problem shelling out close to 2 million bucks for an international model like Jetta but can't say the same about the Virtus, which I feel the dilemma that many current VW owners face when they think about the value proposition over their current VWs vs the cost for this new car.

Nonetheless, this car is a win for all sedan lovers, hope other companies follow suit for the same!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks