And the competitor starts hitting hard!

Volkswagen Virtus Review-city-vs-virtus.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-city-vs-virtus-2.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-city-vs-virtus-4.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-city-vs-virtus-5.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-city-vs-virtus-7.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-city-vs-virtus-6.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-city-vs-virtus-3.jpg

Even the other competition isn't spared.

Volkswagen Virtus Review-city-vs-slavia.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 16:00   #287
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

After the launch of the Honda City 5G, the mid-size sedan segment has been divided into two halfs, the lower segment (Ciaz, Verna, City 4G, Vento) and the higher segment (City 5G, Slavia, Virtus). The lower segment cars are mostly budget-friendly like the Ciaz Zeta, Verna S+, City 4G V and the Vento Highline all at 10 lakhs ex-showroom. (The Vento is not out of production yet.)
City 4G and Ciaz are truly the lower halfs with top-ends at 10-12 lakhs Ex-showroom. We can say that the Verna and the Vento are in the middle for their size and price, and the City 5G, the Slavia and the Virtus the higher segment. People who wanted to buy the Virtus but didn't like the price and built can still check the Vento as it is still in production.

Last edited by MADisMynAMe : 11th June 2022 at 16:30. Reason: Addition of Virtus' cons
MADisMynAMe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 16:50   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not buying! Not in the foreseeable future, but VAG fanboy I am, I have a soft spot for Honda too. If I was buying, I'd be looking closely.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 18:35   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And the competitor starts hitting hard!
I'm in splits. Reminds me of this. Do you have a source for this?

The Virtus Comfortline also has a lot of 'must-have's (100% subjectively speaking) the City 4 doesn't: electronic stability control for example. Obviously it is unreasonable to expect that in Honda dealer training material, but in that case Honda and their partners should take reasonable care to keep it confidential. This is not something you would expect from a manufacturer who usually has very responsible and conservative communication policies.
Old 11th June 2022, 21:35   #290
BHPian

Regardless of whatever the shortcomings that VAG cars have, I don't think the Honda City 4G or 5G are superior to the VAG Twins. Period.

The 1.5 NA engine on the Honda is a very reliable and good engine, preferably for sedate driving. I'm no fan of their CVT either. But if they think they can underestimate that 999cc TSI engine claiming 500cc less than Honda Both the engine options in the VAG Twins are miles ahead of competition. So as the TC and DSG (I'm not an advocate for DSG in India, still I prefer that over lousy CVTs) Whatever competition says, it is a fact.

Last edited by igemini : 11th June 2022 at 21:37.
igemini is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 23:16   #291
BHPian

Test drove the Topline 1.0 TSi AT today and was honestly impressed. Much has been written about the engine, and it does live up to its reputation, especially since I am coming from the 1.5 TDCi on my Ecosport.

What really caught me by surprise is the very perceptible difference in interior fit, finish and plastic quality as compared to the Slavia. It’s no longer a dealbreaker, and City loses its slight edge with that tacky infotainment unit.

Have some reservations regarding the long term reliability of the small engine with higher power output, yet seriously considering putting down my money for the Topline AT - in Curcuma Yellow!

Last edited by Pequod : 11th June 2022 at 23:19.
Pequod is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 23:22   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbops View Post
Today cancelled the booking of 1.5 GT in palace cross Bangalore.
  • Checked with my family and Friends who drive Vento, they say the Virtus is not even close in terms of built
  • 22.4L for a newly launched model is way too priced with so much cost cutting wth quality
  • the DSG gear box is another gamble ,, i have read a lot of post in this site and i am not ready to compromise my peace
  • will be going with Honda city , i don't know if i did the right thing . But didn't want to take any chances :(
IMO, it looks like an impulsive decision. You should have first gone and checked out the car in person before cancelling the booking as your experience might have been different. In terms of interior fit & finish, it may be a downgrade compared to Vento but in terms of structural build, it's DEFINITELY NOT.

Attaching proofs of 4 accidents - 2 of Kushaq, and 1 each of Slavia and Taigun. Both Kushaq accidents were major but occupants escaped unhurt/with minor injuries. Vento/Rapid owners saying that build quality has gone down, please check these you will surely be surprised:

yatesh.92 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 07:06   #293
BHPian

For those wondering about the build quality of the Virtus - I was in the same boat, and I would say do not make any assumptions without checking the car out in the flesh.

Owners of the older VW’s may find it somewhat (?) inferior, but it can be safely said that the Virtus has been exceptionally well built and is the current segment best. It goes something like Virtus >> Slavia >>> City ~ Verna. Crude graphical representation, I know

The doors and bonnet have a good amount of heft and close with a pleasing sound. Shut lines and panel gaps are consistent, and the car feels solidly put together. Period.

And did I mention the plastics? It’s still hard to the touch, but definitely not low rent like the Slavia. Not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by Pequod : 12th June 2022 at 07:08.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 10:44   #294
BHPian

Is it true that the seats are different in the comfortline and the highline? It seems the sales person mentioned that from highline and above the bolstering is different from the base comfortline. Can anyone confirm the same.
Old 12th June 2022, 12:01   #295

Just got the price from VW SA. I booked a Rising blue GT. The on road price is 22.3 lakhs in AP.

They added a zero dep. insurance of 93k in it. Extended warranty (not included) is 25k for 5th and 6th years. SA asked me to go with Service package which is same 25k for 4yrs instead of the Extended warranty. Also there is another Service package worth 60k for 5 years and it comes with a spare battery, couple of wiper replacements, consumables and brake pads etc. I just asked for the warranty. They were not sure if the DSG is covered in it. I am guessing it isn't.

Need your help in deciding which options to opt out. Will the comprehensive insurance bumper to bumper with pedestrian and third party coverage, medical etc be cheaper outside? if so, what coverages should I be adding into the insurance.

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Doc 06-10-2022 11.44.pdf (940.3 KB, 590 views)

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th June 2022 at 16:20. Reason: Attachment tags
Old 12th June 2022, 17:11   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Just got the price from VW SA. I booked a Rising blue GT. The on road price is 22.3 lakhs in AP.

Extended warranty (not included) is 25k for 5th and 6th years. SA asked me to go with Service package which is same 25k for 4yrs instead of the Extended warranty.
Thanks in advance

Please do go ahead with the extended warranty without a second thought. While the service pack will cover you for the regular service bills and it is beneficial in the long run against cost creep during service, check with the SA if you can pick this at a later date if needed.

But like GTO and others have stressed from time to time. Extended warranty (especially for the DSG) is an absolute must.
IceManMK1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 17:42   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Virtus GT Plus 1.5L DSG Test-Drive Experience

Volkswagen Virtus Review-d9b418652de047cf9e2e32a4485f8bb4.jpeg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-bab891f78f894f29bcbfd11356c4df4e.jpeg

* Didn’t click any picture from the test-drive since I was alone and don’t prefer using my phone for clicking pictures while driving. These pictures are from the Topline Virtus 1.0L TSI MT which was standing inside as a display car.

Had visited BU Bhandari VW to test-drive either the Virtus or Taigun 1.5L DSG, since I wanted to experience the highly praised 1.5L TSI. The Taigun had gone for a home visit so the Virtus it was.

Simply off the hook; the test-drive Virtus looked absolutely smashing in the Wild Cherry Red with blackened out bits! People turn back to re-look. Loved the Blue colour (exclusive on the Virtus) with the diamond cut alloys on the Topline 1L TSI as well!

A major topic of discussion; the AC was cooling like it should in the 1.5L TSI, we were just two in the car though, the SA and me.

It’s important to note, for someone coming from a Hyundai or Maruti, the newer Škoda/VW 2.0 cars feel like an upgrade. But if you’re already an owner of an older VW/Škoda then the chances of the newer models impressing you will be lesser!

So for me my comparison was between my 17’ Creta and the Virtus. Here the Virtus’ doors feel much more heavier and close with the proper thud. Where the Hyundai feels built for within city limits (test-drove the Alcazar before the Virtus and the difference in terms of steering weight, accelerator pedal feel, brake pedal feel and even heftiness of the car was completely the opposite), the Virtus feels like a proper expressway cruiser.

Finding the perfect seating position was easy and slotted the car in D and set off. The creep was slightly lesser than I expected compared to my Creta’s sting creep from it’s 1.6L P AT.

The DSG was hesitant to move at slower speeds (a typical DSG trait), but once speed picked up it was very hard to fault. Gearshifts were lightening quick as the speeds picked up.

The engine response is absolutely phenomenal! Leaves several cars biting the dust, a joy to drive on divider-less roads where quick overtakes are required. No need to smash the throttle as well, 40-50% throttle input will do the job.

On rough roads, some of those creaks and rattles could be felt, but on smooth roads it was silent.

In no time, the car reaches 80kmph, the steering could definitely have done with slightly more weight, at 80kmph I felt that the steering lacks heft.

I will go onto say, this 1.5L TSI + DSG is simply the best powertrain available currently in India at the 20Lakh OTR mark, period.

I was thoroughly impressed with the Virtus overall, my cousin brother has picked up a Kushaq 1L AT as well and the Kushaq was no different as well. Yes the interiors may feel inferior in terms of quality but as a package I like the newer Škoda/VW 2.0 cars.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 12th June 2022 at 17:52.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 20:20   #298
BHPian

Curcuma yellow dazzles in the evening sun
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-227d67f868994f01a16fd1673a3d296c.jpeg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-a4b284977a5f438fb57594a995901330.jpeg  

Pequod is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 07:26   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post

Need your help in deciding which options to opt out. Will the comprehensive insurance bumper to bumper with pedestrian and third party coverage, medical etc be cheaper outside? if so, what coverages should I be adding into the insurance.

Thanks in advance
Try to push the booking to end of June which will be a quarter end and might get additional discounts. If you already own a car NCB from existing policy can be transferred to new car. Dealers make a seizable commission on Insurance premiums. Negotiate hard and don't be apologetic about that. Service package can be taken later also. Extended warranty upto 5 or 6 yrs is a must and would suggest not to ignore.

Last edited by prabhu7944 : 13th June 2022 at 07:29.
prabhu7944 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 12:57   #300
BHPian

Downloaded the brochure and it says even the mid variant has auto climate control. All the videos I've seen so far on YouTube suggests otherwise. If it's a mistake in the brochure, I am surprised such big groups like VW do not double check their documentation before publishing to the public. Or am I missing something?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf brochure-virtus-2022.pdf (6.29 MB, 776 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks