Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2022, 12:06   #661
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Getting the vehicle delivered on Thursday finally. I have taken the leasing route via my employer. The vehicle was allotted early August and was waiting for the paper work to be completed since around the 20th August.

Did a prelim check last Saturday at the yard, despite being a bit unwell. Will do a proper PDI during the delivery.

No major accessories except for the aluminium pedals and the mud flap. Planning to go for 3M mats and the crystalline series sunnfilm ( through a vendor I know) , which is transparent but far better than the coloured ones , basis what I read.

Any views from the bhpians who have installed these recently.
Collected the vehicle on the 15th and have come for installing the 3M CR70 sunnfilm as Carspark Sholonganallur. Initial days , but amazed with how good the car is so far. Breeze to drive around , doesn't look like a mid size sedan at all. Have not faced any AC issues at all. Looks like the next set of Virtus will have the 8" Infotainment system.

Only major grouse so far is I find the external mirors too small to my liking, have to stick out my neck too often.

I will share a detailed post probably in a month's time. On a long drive next weekend, just waiting for the coming week to pass soon..

Anyone who is looking for a new car and has Virtus in their list can just go ahead and book this blindly.

P.S: The SA advisor mentioned that the tyre pressure has been set at 45+ and this will be set to 33/35 after the first visit at 1000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-img20220917wa0000.jpeg  

thiagust is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 12:40   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S: The SA advisor mentioned that the tyre pressure has been set at 45+ and this will be set to 33/35 after the first visit at 1000 kms.
Congrats on the the car! 1.0/1.5/AT/MT?

Regarding the air pressure, please change it to 33 immediately. What the SA has said seems to be in ignorance. Air pressure is maintained at 45 from the factory to prevent flat spotting of the tires in storage. Please get this sorted at the earliest for your safety and of those around you.

Have a wonderful ownership and please keep us updated!
Turbohead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 13:20   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Congrats on the the car! 1.0/1.5/AT/MT?

Regarding the air pressure, please change it to 33 immediately. What the SA has said seems to be in ignorance. Air pressure is maintained at 45 from the factory to prevent flat spotting of the tires in storage. Please get this sorted at the earliest for your safety and of those around you.

Have a wonderful ownership and please keep us updated!
Thanks for sharing this info , I wasn't aware. Will get this corrected straight away. It is a 1.0L topline Auto.
thiagust is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 15:32   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Anyone in Bangalore contemplating to get a XUV 7OO instead of Virtus GT after the water situation?

BUT suddenly this Water situation in Bangalore has had me thinking if I should better get a SUV (very specifically XUV 7OO).
I own a Tata Hexa. Thanks to the floods in my basement, it was a total loss in just 3 feet of water. Not sure the XUV7OO will help. Besides, wading and standing in a few feet of water are two different things. In the latter case, even cars with good ride height and wading depth may run into issues.
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 17:57   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post

Even though I had booked Virtus few months back(awaiting my delivery), I was in 2 minds whether to switch to a SUV. I think the ground Clearance on offer by the Virtus would take me anywhere but even then I would have to baby it over big speed breakers.
Yes the Xuv has a good seating position but due to the high CG the speed at which it travels is quite apparent. 80 feels like 100 incase of Xuv and Vice Versa for the Virtus.

How is the performance of LED Headlights in the Virtus ?
My brother (another TBhpian @tsi_niks) took delivery of the Virtus last week in Pune. We drove the Virtus 1.5 from Pune to Ahmedabad last weekend. The road from Mumbai via Vapi to Ahmedabad has a quite a few bad stretches with potholes the size of craters. It also currently has a number of diversions with broken patches. The car had 4 occupants and also their luggage. The car did not scrape even once through the journey. I have owned a few sedans and I can safely say this is the best when it comes to ground clearance. You are correct that this car can take you anywhere. It has enough of both - power and ground clearance.

Have driven the Virtus enough at night too, in cities and highways, and I would rate it good. White light has its own limitations. It simply doesn't work when it rains. I have found the low beam on the Virtus very useful in cities and on the highways. I have used a combination of both low and high beam, and low beam and fogs. The yellow light from the fog lamps just illuminates the road better I feel. If I were rating XUV700 lights a 10/10, I would rate the Virtus an 8.5 on highways and 9/10 in the city.
acquillew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 09:19   #666
BHPian

Broke the 15kpl barrier for the first time!

Volkswagen Virtus Review-ab3e3bd5ab8b40e5b8b863d94ff845e4.jpeg

Pretty sedate drive by my wife, who’s a newbie. She usually drives an i10 NIOS AMT, and having driven this, she’s kind of astounded by the steering feedback and the wolf in sheep’s clothing that’s the 1.0 TSI

Last edited by Pequod : 18th September 2022 at 09:21.
Pequod is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 22:51   #667
BHPian

2000 kms update.

After delivery on 9th Sep, we (bhpian@acquillew and me) started from Pune to Ahmedabad next day. Run in period of 1000kms was done in 5 days as Pune-AMD is approx 700kms. Performance was very smooth on highway which had good as well broken patches throughout. Pune to Mumbai, we got a mileage of 22KMPL but it reduced to 16.5 once we hit city traffic and then broken patches till Vapi. Now this is a pretty good mileage considering we were 4 people onboard along with our luggage (4 medium size suitcase along with 2 backpacks).

Weekend arrived and the eagerness to take out the GT resulted in a short trip to Jodhpur-425KMs from our place. The route is scenic till we reach the stretch near Mount Abu but the conditions of the road have become pathetic with rains around.

Back to the car, it feels planted always no matter what the scenario is. From Polo, yes this feels less corner friendly but no way it is a bad handler just that Polo was much better. Lot of space at the rear means people at the back are happy (after Polo's rear seats) and your drives are more engaging. And then the performance, just one word-EXCITING, one tap on the pedal and it lets you know why those 3L extra were spent, car zooms past everything on road whenever needed-DSG is super smooth and quick to react to your inputs-just brilliant.

To add to all this we got a mileage of 18.3 kmpl both sides with same number of people and luggage as above. Adding few snaps from the trip, along with the healthy mileage numbers recorded.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-31ec4262f99e43d59aa5912771df1af0.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_4022_2.jpg  

Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_5315.jpg  

Last edited by tsi_niks1989 : 18th September 2022 at 23:01.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 22:38   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Anyone in Bangalore contemplating to get a XUV 7OO instead of Virtus GT after the water situation?
I always loved sedans and I was in your situation a year and half back, I really loved the Rapid Rider for that lovely tsi engine, build quality, handling, and VFM. Remember, this is pre-floods time but still, I've changed my mind and decided to go with a pseudo SUV type of car.

Factors that influenced my decision are:
1. Roads and potholes.
2. Powerful LEDs from other cars, scooters, autos etc. (XUV700 solves this problem partially)
3. Low commanding driver's seat height in sedans.
4. Better range because of diesel engine's efficiency.

After thinking and test driving multiple cars, I've decided to go with the XUV700 MX D. The XUV700 doesn't handle like a sedan, its expensive than a sedan, slightly difficult to handle in traffic and parking but it's practical and gets the job done really well.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 19th September 2022 at 22:52.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 13:21   #669
BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase! The headlights of the Passat have made a comeback in the Virtus. looks menacing.
Agree with Ramki on the LEDs. have given up car driving in the night now, thanks to the roads, and the road lighting, plus these new LED headlights popping up on almost every vehicle. Its only my Himalayan for now in city usage too. Anyone tries to light me down with their LEDs, they get a taste of 4800 lumens worth of Maddog Scout-X. Brings them back from their stupid high beam fog.
100Kmphormore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 21:27   #670
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Virtus GT race car, Built by VW Motorsport to ITC (Indian Touring Car) regulations.

Quote:
Will debut the 1.5 TSI engine in Indian motorsport. Tuned and boosted to 215hp & 300Nm. Mated to 6-speed sequential gearbox & running on MRF 17-inch rubber on Wheels India rims
Name:  20220920_212558.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  20220920_212600.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  20220920_212602.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  74.2 KB

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20220920_212608.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20220920_212611.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus Review-20220920_212613.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 20th September 2022 at 21:29.
Venkatesh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 22:02   #671
Team-BHP Support

VW sure knows how to make their race-spec Cup cars but sucks when it comes to the multitude of special editions with sticker jobs.

Just look at those wheels man! The larger discs at the front, discs at the rear, exhaust muffler tips at the sides.
Gannu_1 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 07:10   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Volkswagen Virtus GT race car, Built by VW Motorsport to ITC (Indian Touring Car) regulations.
This was just matter of time, mainly considering the void that Polo and Vento cup models created with their exits. Looks killer and should definitely give ideas for lot of folks for the mods - bigger wheels and lowered suspension totally changed the looks of it.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 17:07   #673
BHPian

They have heavily advertised GT loud and clear. And this red looks beautiful on this car. It is a tad darker than the Sunset Red shade on Polo and Vento. The color is high in demand too and gives the car a subtle and a sporty character at the same time.

Man would the car fly off the shelves if they put that tuned 1.5TSI under the hood paired with a DQ250/DQ380/DQ381, name it R line (Skoda -> RS) model with GTI type alloys, stiffened dampers and shocks, better responsive, communicative and heavier steering wheel just like what Hyundai did with the N-line, lower the ground clearance to 160mm, put alcantara seats with black roof liner. proper virtual cockpit and price it 25L ex showroom.

Am I asking for too much ? Well a powerful well handling car with Skoda Sportline type interiors would make it glamorous little rocket on road. I hope they bring something like this on the Indian Roads soon. A car, good to drive, a joy to own and a head turner on road with premium or sporty appeal under 27L OTR competing with SUV competitors. I wonder why would people compromise on a well packaged car for ground clearance? I believe if Tata can gain market share with mech better products, Volkswagen/Skoda can too with well packaged premium products in a budget.
FrAgile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 18:41   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the next set of Virtus will have the 8" Infotainment system
Is there any firm confirmation on this? I thought they were unable to fit the 8" one the Virtus & Taigun.
kaushiksudra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 19:27   #675

I currently own the city 2018 V MT model for about 4.5 years now and have driven around 20k kms. This is my first car, and am in dilemma to keep it or upgrade it looking at the recently released cars, be it XUV 700/Virtus/Slavia. My mind says - keep it, but my heart asks for an upgrade. In this state of mind, I have started to test drive all the new cars, especially the three above. I am not looking for anything specific. Just want to drive all the vehicles and see if i can connect with any of them, so that i can convince my mind.

Yesterday, test drove the virtus 1.5L DSG. The dealer was pleasant and very accommodating enough to send the car to my location. The car arrived during the morning hours. It already had run about 5k kms. I was pretty excited, called my wife and brother in law to accompany me during the test drive.

Things I liked about the car,

- The build quality both interior and exterior is miles ahead of the city - no comparison.
- No rattles/squeaking noises what so ever. I drove the car across bad patches near my house and I could feel the difference between my city and the virtus.
- The leg room in the back seat was huge.
- The boot space is pretty huge.
- The car creeps very nicely, automatically delivers power during creep, based on the incline.
- The ground clearance is good enough to not scrape anything.
- Has six airbags and kind of ticks my box for safety event hough the ratings have not come out.

Things I disliked,

- The quality of the interior does not feel premium at this price point. It is like sitting inside a hatchback (~6L). Does not come anywhere close to the city.
- Size of the steering wheel. I felt that the the city's wheel was a bit large for me, Virtus' felt larger. I couldn't feel the compactness, the connect.
- Both me and my wife when sitting on the rear seat, felt that it did not offer enough lower back support. This is something very important in my opinion since I travel long distances with my family.
- I am not sure why the rear seats are foldable. IMO, they do not fold enough to serve as a sleeping platform for campers like me, nor they do recline enough to get into a comfortable sitting position.
- The area around the sunroof is pretty soft.

Overall I felt that it is a driver's/racer's/enthusiasts car alone, fun to drive around. Very less care has been taken to make it suitable for elderly people and other family members.

Verdict: I feel that, if city was not my first car, I would have purchased this eyes closed. I also plan to keep the car I purchase over a long period of time, so I am not sure if this car would suit my family. As I age, family automatically becomes a priority. Planning to test drive other cars as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks