Old 9th May 2022, 12:30   #1
Team-BHP Support

2022 Mercedes C-Class Review

Mercedes C-Class Review

Mercedes C-Class Pros

• Stunning looks & design . Matched to solid build quality too
• Premium quality interiors, supportive seats, filled with technology
• Useable rear seat, with better legroom than before
• Wide range of engines; powerful 265-hp C300d for enthusiasts, workhorse C220d and a C200 for sedate drivers
• Smooth & competent 9-speed AT gearbox
• Well-damped suspension offers mature ride quality
• Fun to drive (with the right engine)! Communicative chassis & excellent high-speed manners
• The C220d (especially) & C200k are reasonably fuel-efficient for the segment
• Equipment such as seat kinetics, latest-gen MBUX, panoramic sunroof, memory seats, electric steering adjustment…
• Top notch safety kit, runflat tyres, powerful brakes & a suite of electronic aids to keep you safe

Mercedes C-Class Cons

• C200 petrol’s 1.5L drivetrain feels just about adequate. Best for chauffeured use or for calm owners
• There is no bigger or more powerful petrol engine option (like the C300d)
• Rs 55 - 61 lakh ex-showroom pricing is stiff! We find it overpriced
• Boot space (already at a premium) is drastically impacted by the spare wheel on the floor
• Better as a 4-adult seater than 5
• BMW’s 330i is the more fun-to-drive petrol sedan
• IMHO, the faux leather seats just don't cut it at this price point (3-Series gives real leather). No ventilated seats either
• Styling is more of an evolution than a revolution. Also, looks very similar to other sedans in the Mercedes range
• While it’s not unusual for premium sedans, you need to be careful on bad bumps. This car with 4 people and luggage bottomed out a few times during our Mussoorie drive

This review has been jointly compiled with Axe77. Thanks to him for the expert observations!

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2022 at 08:09. Reason: Adding prices :)
Akshay1234 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Introduction

Mercedes had lined up every generation of the C-Class starting from the W201, which dates back to 1982 up to the most recent W205.

The W201 was never really called the C-Class but was called the “Baby Benz” model series, although the spiritual DNA of the C-Class is clearly visible even in it. It was only from the W202 onwards that the model was formally christened the C-Class. That generation ran from 1992 until 2000.

The C-Class made its India debut with the W203 generation, back in 2001. The W206 will be the fourth model of the C-Class to be sold in India. It was the W205 that marked the design shift towards its bigger siblings and earned the tag of Baby S. The W206, continues the design evolution of the Baby S look. It clearly has a more mature and evolved design over its immediate predecessor.

Emulating the S-Class is not limited to just the external and internal looks. Mercedes has stated that the new C-Class derives a host of its innovations and digital advancements from the flagship S-Class such as the latest (second) generation MBUX NTG 7.0. It definitely carries a sophistication that seems a class above its immediate competition. The hi-resolution central display too is inspired from the S-Class and sports an 11.9-inch LCD touch screen and Car to X communication technology. Given our limited time with the car, we could not, of course, try some of these features out.

All in all, visually, both externally and internally as well as in terms of the level of tech available, it is fair to say that the W206 sets the benchmark in this segment for others to follow.

2022 Mercedes C-Class Review-img8700.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2022 at 12:31.
Akshay1234 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

Exterior

The W205 brought about the most significant change in the design language of the C-Class and was the first iteration which earned it the title of "Baby S". The W206 continues that progression for the C in a more 'evolution' over 'revolution' approach, nevertheless incorporating marked improvements in the car overall, which is evident both inside as well as outside. It's hard to fault the design whatever angle the car is shot in and the increased proportions give it an even more mature look.

The distinct Mercedes family look. One can argue it looks too similar to the other Mercedes cars today:

Keeping if classy. A sole C200 badge at the back gives the rear a clean, uncluttered look. Notice the trim styled to look like fake exhaust tips on the lower part of the bumper, which is, again, very similar to the W205:

Viewed side on, its perfect proportions are evident. Also one can really see here that it's quite an evolution of the W205 design, though with the added length visible:

Front three quarter view. It is difficult to choose between the current BMW 3-Series and the C-Class. Both are handsome designs, but with their distinctive family look. However, with each newer BMW adopting ugly oversized radiator grilles, the stage is set for Mercedes to comfortably win in the exterior looks department:

Signature Mercedes tail-lights at the rear:

Classy looking headlight design, continuing the "Baby S" theme:

Radiator grille is a distinctive feature, with the vertical Maybach-esque vertical slats:

A closer look at the front bumper. I daresay the lower section looks a bit drab with all the black plastic and could have done with some aluminium trim:

The two lower Avantgarde trims gets 17" alloy wheels with a design that is nothing to write home about. For a car that is otherwise a design statement, I think they could have done better. The 17" wheels shod with 225/50 section MOE run flat tyres provide a fairly supple and comfortable ride. The C300d gets 18" alloys with a different design:

Sharp LED tail-light design, again, continuing the evolution of the design language:

Last edited by Aditya : 17th May 2022 at 09:57.
Akshay1234 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Interior

The interiors are definitely a step up from previous generation's and in line with their more recent offerings. Most materials in the car are premium to touch and feel. Overall, the cabin is an extremely plush place to be in with the increased dimensions reflecting in the additional space available for front as well as rear passengers. The large iPad like vertically oriented infotainment head-unit is fairly intuitive to use.

Large bold pin stripes on the front dash certainly add a unique touch. They can be a touch polarising though. Some owners may prefer a more discreet look and while it does look grand initially, we can imagine a bold pinstripe finish something one might outgrow over a period of time:

Dashboard is distinct detailing and designed to give a rich and luxurious feel. The surface was fairly hard to touch though and as we mentioned before, we're not sure if such a bold design would be to everyone's taste. That said, it is, for now, likely to please more people than offend them:

Drivers cockpit area is well laid out and pleasing to look at and be in:

Steering wheel follows the design theme of newer Mercedes models. The array of buttons can seem a bit busy but once you're used to them, you'll find that it's handy to have most of the controls offered on the steering wheel itself. The sliders though, are a hit or a miss as many a time they don't pick up movements and one has to repeatedly attempt to register a movement - similar issue to the S-Class. I think all newer Mercedes steerings will have this issue. Do note the steering adjustment is electric, which was present in the W204, but missing in the W205:

Bright and clear instrument cluster, but without any 3D option like in the S-Class. It's still a pleasure to look at and displays all relevant information:

You have the option of displaying the maps on the instrument cluster, if you wish:

Service menu display shows all the important information one would need. I don't understand why Mercedes doesn't allow one to switch the tyre pressure units to PSI. Would make many chauffeurs' lives much easier:

Rotary light switch and the handbrake switch placed conveniently. Anyone who has driven any Mercedes of late will be comfortable right away with all controls in familiar positions:

Doorpad houses the seat and window controls and even the boot release. Switches for the mirrors have a touch like operation. The seat adjustment switches are similar to the S-Class, where you touch the area you want to adjust rather than the switch itself moving. Note that there are memory settings for the driver and passenger seats - something missed on the last-gen vehicle:

Burmester sound system does its job well. The Burmester 3D system on the C300d would be much better though:

Front seats are extremely comfortable and supportive with a host of electronic adjustments including under-thigh support. The headrests are electronically adjustable for height too - a segment first feature:

Center facia looks good. Everything exudes quality. Interiors have been something Mercedes has been acing off late:

Air-con vents have a beautiful modern design with ambient lighting:

Seat kinetic settings (for the driver and front passenger seats) are interesting. When activated, the seat moves just a bit every now and then so that the driver (or passenger) is not in the same position for extended periods. The change in position is really very minor and not intrusive at all while driving:

Many settings for the ambient lighting, including multi-colour options. Mercedes does ambient lighting the best:

The car is equipped with Active Brake Assist. We're still not convinced that this is apt for Indian conditions. Both Axe77 and I had some unsettling moments when the Active Brake Assist unexpectedly kicked in while driving in traffic. We tried to simulate the same situation again, but we couldn't. Overall, it will certainly take some getting used to for people unfamiliar with the feature:

Well designed cupholders. Wireless charging pad on the front right is designed such that the phone remains in place when it's charging. A USB C port for Apple CarPlay connectivity has been provided:

Deep storage compartment under the center armrest is felt lined and has two USB C ports:

Touch controls for the sunroof. One has to slide his finger over the switch area to use it. Check out the cool textures and ambient lighting around the panel which gives it a floating appearance:

An area where the new C-Class has shown the biggest improvement over the W205 is the space in the rear. The new car is 65 mm longer in length and has a 25 mm longer wheelbase. The increased length has been well utilised in providing much better leg room for the rear passengers. I'm well over 6' tall and could comfortably sit in the rear with the front seat adjusted for myself. The headroom was poor though. Notice the sunshades provided for the rear windows, and one for the rear windshield, which is electrically operated. BMW has stopped giving these of late on the 3-Series:

Boot space, like most cars in this segment, is moderate at best. Unlike the BMW 3-Series, which now has a raised floor under which the space saver is kept, the C-Class carries its space saver on the boot floor like its bigger siblings - extremely inconvenient for stowing luggage on those long road trips. Between the four of us sharing the car, the boot was pretty much filled up with our luggage and camera equipment:

Last edited by Aditya : 17th May 2022 at 09:58.
Akshay1234 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

Driving the 1.5L Turbo Petrol AT

On this drive, we drove the C200 petrol. Though we will certainly have a follow up post for the C300d, which will be the enthusiasts' choice, the C200 is what we managed to get our hands on.

This C200 has a 1.5L engine, which generates 201 BHP and 300 Nm. It comes with a 48v mild hybrid system. The mild hybrid part of this is an integrated starter generator that sits between the engine and the transmission and takes over the role of the alternator and starter. It can also provide a power / torque boost. When quick acceleration is required, the electric motor helps by providing up to 20 BHP and 200 Nm of torque. It also helps with energy generation when it's not giving any output in terms of power / torque. This also functions as the starter and I have to say, the start-up is super smooth and non-intrusive. This is possibly one of the few cars in which I didn't feel the need to turn off the idling start stop simply due to the smoothness of it all. All 3 engine options in the W206 C-Class come with this system.

The W205 facelift had the same 1.5L engine with the EQ boost feature and ISG, but I think, it may have been discontinued after a while, though I'm not really sure why. That was slightly lower on power at the time though.

Sitting in the driver's seat, it all felt a little familiar. Firstly, because of the new vertical screen and the instrument cluster, which was reminding me of the S-Class we drove a few months ago. Secondly, the driving position and overall dimensions / visibility reminded me of the W205 C-Class. It feels more like an evolution than a revolution.

This drive was in Mussoorie, which meant a lot of gradient changes and lots of twisties. There were enough bad patches of road thrown in too, to give us a realistic judgement of how the C would behave in most conditions.

Pressing the engine start / stop button felt like it did nothing, until I noticed the RPMs were a shade below 1,000 and the engine was idling. There was no starter noise or even slight vibrations upon starting.

Getting a move on, one wouldn't immediately notice or feel that the engine is downsized. The EQ boost (additional power / torque provided by the ISG) helps at low rpms and low speeds in hiding some amount of turbo lag and adding a bit of pep. So the vehicle responds like it has a 2L engine. While driving around with part throttle, the drive train is silent and refined and one will have to strain oneself to hear any engine noise at all. The car moves in a relaxed manner, never really lacking in power or torque. However, the moment you ask for a little more, you can hear the 1.5L engine straining a bit, even though the C-Class does move reasonably quickly. This strained noise probably wouldn't have been present in a 2L engine. It is one thing which is a bit off putting for me being an enthusiastic driver. Though apart from the perceived strain due to the noise, the C200 isn't slow by any means and does get going. I'm certain though, that the C220d will be a better drive for enthusiasts, apart from the much more powerful C300d of course.

The 9G-Tronic gearbox, which is now a Mercedes staple, does the job well and without being intrusive at all. Shifts are smooth, and apart from taking maybe a tad longer than I would have liked for kickdown, it doesn't seem confused and is usually in the correct gear that one would need. In this plain Jane C200, it probably isn't calibrated for the enthusiast and it shows. Personally, I prefer the ZF8 of the BMWs. The 9G-Tronic gearbox now also has a coast function, where it completely disconnects from the engine (due to the ISG being in the middle), and the engine is actually switched off. One can see the engine coming back on as the speed reduces or once acceleration is requested. One aspect which was a bit disappointing was the response of the paddles, which I found slow.

With the 17" wheels and the tyre pressures a bit high (hovering around 39 psi), the ride quality was surprisingly well damped. While the W204 C-Class was very supple and settled, the W205 was a bit clunky when it came to the ride. Since the W205, the C classes have had MOE tyres (Mercedes term for runflats) and this W206, in spite of having them, didn't produce any clunks or thuds while tackling even larger bumps, which was very nice. In this sense, it does feel like a baby S-Class simply because of the silent way in which the suspension works and the overall mature feeling of the ride.

I have to mention, the stability over bad roads which is excellent and the C-Class just ate them up even when we went over them at a slightly higher speeds than we should have. It was unfazed. Once the speed picks up, the ride flattens out even more and high speed stability is good too. What surprised me was that when we pushed it a bit, the chassis felt like it wanted more, which was unlike the previous C-Class cars I have driven. In spite of the underwhelming drive train, pushing the W206 around the twisties was fun with the steering relaying a good amount of feedback and body roll being negligible. It's no BMW when it comes to handling, but let's just say that Mercedes is getting close!

Overall, I'll have to say the C-Class has matured and it feels like an excellent all-rounder in terms of ride, handling and even the drive (though the 200 wouldn't be my choice of drivetrain).

Disclaimer: Mercedes invited Team-BHP for the C class test-drive. They covered all the travel expenses for this driving event.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th May 2022 at 09:57.
Akshay1234 is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 12:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

re: 2022 Mercedes C-Class Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2022 at 12:33.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2022 Mercedes C-Class Review

Nice crisp review of the new C. Its indeed a nice evolution from the outgoing model, and it’s not a muted one like how it happens with some VAG cars. Though understated, the car has got immense road presence and the proportions looks perfect. And they have nicely differentiated this from the smaller siblings (say the A-Class sedan), especially with the interiors.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:18   #8
BHPian

This might be off topic, but is Mussourie really the best location for a media drive?

The main roads are narrow with loads of traffic and the lesser known and travelled roads see their fair share of traffic as well. Did driving a wide and long car like the C class and then shooting pictures on the road, pose any problem?

Review is fantastic, as always.
Doonite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:37   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great review, Akshay & Ameya. Thanks for sharing this with us . Mercedes has really gone to town with this W206-gen C-Class. The solid build etc. are all as expected, but the increase in rear legroom (which has historically sucked in the C), as well as being more fun-to-drive are pleasant surprises. The design is absolutely stunning. Just love the style & presence from the pictures. Can't wait to drive the C300d . Must say though, that the outgoing W205 car still doesn't look outdated from the outside (it does from the inside).

Surprised that there is no larger petrol (e.g. 2.0 turbo-petrol) in a market that is moving to petrols in such a big way. Also, I hope that Mercedes prices this sensibly. It is a seller's market and all that, but luxury car prices have gotten insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
This might be off topic, but is Mussourie really the best location for a media drive?
More than the roads, manufacturers choose locations based on uniqueness (to impress journos), convenience to bring in people from all over the country, logistical ease, hotel availability, mood & preferences of the senior management, scenic spots & routes etc. That's why Goa is a favourite for media drives (about 40% of all media drives are held in Goa). However, as any reviewer will tell you, it's tough to cruise at 100 - 120 kmph consistently in Goa. There go your high speed observations! It's all twisty & narrow roads.

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2022 at 13:40.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Very Nice and crispy review.

Wonder why will MB India not have enough C300 for media drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
The weather must have been the reason. It's peak summer in most places. They could have done differently and perhaps picked Sikkim or any other NE state instead. Maybe the practicality of the Airport (Dehradoon), a good resort & good mountain roads factored in this destination over any other hill (cool weather destination)

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th May 2022 at 13:41.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:45   #11
BHPian

Comprehensive review as always.

Looks good on the outside and gorgeous on the inside.

I found the previous generation petrol drivetrain with the 7 speed gearbox extremely sluggish (atleast on my E200, hence sold it within a year!). So it seems, status quo remains wrt the MB, BMW, Audi trio for this segment-

- design, highly subjective and hence personal choice
- luxurious interiors - C class
- quality interiors - A4 (or is it the C now?)
- ride quality - A4
- drive train / performance - 3 series
- price / VFM - A4

That makes me wonder if the new Octavia (even with the price increase) is still great VFM with a 2 L turbo petrol, good quality interiors, a 600L boot (for those trips that folks like me do quite a lot) and a practical spare (in the style variant).

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th May 2022 at 16:47. Reason: Fixing spacing.
FAIAAA is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:58   #12
BHPian

Mercedes has lost the NCR market for sure - petrol dominates here and giving the option of only 1.5L mediocre engine will make people flock into the BMW showrooms.

Also it's a let down in terms of dimensions. While the wheelbase has increased by 25mm to 2,865mm the 330Li dominates with a wheelbase of 2,961 mm.
sid_deb is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 14:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A very crisp review, and to the point like always .

Love the looks of the W206, especially head-on and front 3/4 quarter. At the rear somehow I can’t digest the shape of those abruptly ending taillights on the bootlid. And why do those fake exhausts even exist, atleast BMW is continuing some meaty real dual exhausts on the 330i

Interiors of the new W206, draw a heavy inspiration from the bigger S, similar to the W205.

In reality even today the W205 looks so contemporary, that the W206 seems more like a evolution than revolution.

The alloys on the Avantgrade trims are very similar to what are offered on the A-Class, didn’t like them at all and the C300d W206 gets almost the same alloys as the C300d W205.

Engine spec-wise the C200 even with the 1.5L petrol looks powerful enough on paper, but for a premium sedan (60L OTR atleast) getting a 1.5L is a big No whatever the specs may be on the paper.

Like always the C220d will be the most in demand variant, with C300d being the performance oriented version being picked only by certain people only (will surely be expensive as well, if the W205 C300d was anything to go by). Finding a W205 C300d in India is extremely rare, MB India didn’t sell many due to the high cost.

Where other manufacturers are providing big turbo-petrols as performance oriented versions, Mercedes-Benz has done it with the 265hp diesel which I feel is a good step because a diesel is a diesel and driving in a pedal to metal manner will also return a good Fuel Economy, not at all possible with a 2L turbo petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Mercedes has lost the NCR market for sure - petrol dominates here and giving the option of only 1.5L mediocre engine will make people flock into the BMW showrooms.

Also it's a let down in terms of dimensions. While the wheelbase has increased by 25mm to 2,865mm the 330Li dominates with a wheelbase of 2,961 mm.
3 GL slots in between the 3 and 5 so comparing the wheelbase of the W206 C with the 3 GL is not right. Compared to the regular 3 the new C has a 14mm longer wheelbase.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 9th May 2022 at 14:35.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 14:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Even from the pictures these interiors oozes quality. It looks rich, premium and pricey. I might be a minority, but really not for Mercedes selling this as a baby S Class. That's a clear message that the car is going to be expensive. And seeing those pictures, I am very sure this is indeed going to be very expensive. These C Class should have stayed C Class and not mini S Class.

Though I will buy a BMW over Mercedes, as its my childhood dream car, the insane pricing from Mercedes will only give opportunity for BMW and others to increase their prices too.
How I wish these manufactures really give a trimmed down version with all engine options, safety features etc. and reduce the interior quality and other features a bit and price it aggressively. Personally I wouldn't need such rich interiors but would want to buy these German cars for pure mechanicals that they offer.

And this is where this C Class actually scares me. When I am ready to upgrade from Octavia to a 3 Series in a couple of years, god knows what's the price is going to be.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 14:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
More than the roads, manufacturers choose locations based on uniqueness (to impress journos), convenience to bring in people from all over the country, logistical ease, hotel availability, mood & preferences of the senior management, scenic spots & routes etc. That's why Goa is a favourite for media drives (about 40% of all media drives are held in Goa). However, as any reviewer will tell you, it's tough to cruise at 100 - 120 kmph consistently in Goa. There go your high speed observations! It's all twisty & narrow roads.
Soon this may change what with CO2 measurements applying too all facets of business operations. If companies are choosing Laptops and Data Centers based on their CO2 emissions, targeting how much a media event emits CO2 will soon be measured when sales & Marketing comes into control mechanisms.

Volvo is already attempting this and soon all will follow.

Going to a remote site means hauling all the cars to the site,the event management support staff and their commute and most importantly, Media folk and their commute to these remote locations.

If I was doing the CO2 assessment and recommendation to Auto OEMs, this is on top of my list. Quick win.

Having said so, these events are also necessary evils. How much one will choose to live with is to be seen.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed