Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2022, 10:45   #301
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Another interesting thing is, I installed the Tata Motors Service Connect app, entered the VIN, used my mobile number to get the OTP and I could see the vehicle details already updated and tagged with my details. I also installed the Z Connect app, and that too seem to be already activated. Last sync is on June 23rd at the location of Tata Motors plant in Pune.

Today when I checked with the SA, said he will track the vehicle transit details and let me know soon approximately when the vehicle would arrive. I had also asked to share the price list and details of the accessories, but the SA in general seems a bit lazy and hasn't shared it yet.
Hey Varkey! The situation is ditto with me as well. My car was billed last month on 27th and after installing the ZConnect app the location is still shown as Pune plant.

I checked with the showroom and they have spoken to the Plant directly. They were informed that since billing for July has started only from 7th, they are waiting for the slots in the train to be filled. They are sending new cars to Bangalore via Trains (Maybe due to the increased costs for Truck transit). So as soon as the slots are filled for the train, they will be loaded and sent.
shamanths3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 11:52   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanths3 View Post
Hey Varkey! The situation is ditto with me as well. My car was billed last month on 27th and after installing the ZConnect app the location is still shown as Pune plant.

I checked with the showroom and they have spoken to the Plant directly. They were informed that since billing for July has started only from 7th, they are waiting for the slots in the train to be filled. They are sending new cars to Bangalore via Trains (Maybe due to the increased costs for Truck transit). So as soon as the slots are filled for the train, they will be loaded and sent.
Ah great! Mine is shown in the app as billed on June 30th (same as what the SA told). I just got a message from the SA saying the vehicle would reach the yard on Monday, so that's good news. The yard location is also very close to a railway station so it could be coming by train like you said as well.

Yard is around 20 km from the showroom and my house, so I'll check with the SA if the vehicle would be brought to the showroom or I need to visit the yard for the PDI.
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 13:05   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah great! Mine is shown in the app as billed on June 30th (same as what the SA told). I just got a message from the SA saying the vehicle would reach the yard on Monday, so that's good news. The yard location is also very close to a railway station so it could be coming by train like you said as well.
Are you able to track the car as well using zconnect?
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 13:07   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Are you able to track the car as well using zconnect?
Nope, last update on ZConnect is on June 23rd at Pune. Will know on Monday if there is an update on ZConnect once it reaches the yard.
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 14:43   #305

Quote:
Nope, last update on ZConnect is on June 23rd at Pune. Will know on Monday if there is an update on ZConnect once it reaches the yard.
No it won't untill your ZConnect KYC is complete and has become active, till then it will keep showing the vehicle location as factory only. It did happen the same with me, even after taking the delivery the location remained static till the app got active
mago is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 08:56   #306
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone charged the car at 50kw DC charger from 10% battery soc. Autocarindia says Max can only charge at 29kw even though it comes with a 50kw dc charger. Please post the charging curve.

Old 9th July 2022, 10:35   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Did anyone charged the car at 50kw DC charger from 10% battery soc. Autocarindia says Max can only charge at 29kw even though it comes with a 50kw dc charger. Please post the charging curve.

https://Youtu.be/5XhPT_zzj08
I would suggest taking these youtube reviewers with a pinch of salt. Yes there are few good ones, but they are not EV drivers, and know almost nothing about driving an EV, yes, even the well known channels as well. They drive it like an ICE and then say so many wrong things. Again, not saying all are like that, but I would suggest you watch videos of people who actually own an EV, ex Noise Faktory.

Coming back to the point, the Charging at 50kw depends entirely on the Ambient temperature and the remaining battery percentage. So the charging speed actually drops gradually as the battery is being filled. So if you start charging at around 10% it will charge at a higher rate and then gradually reduces to avoid overheating. Also in places like Bangalore and other colder climates, the charging might be faster as most of these reviews are done either in Delhi or Mumbai.

Similar thing has been observed in ZS EV as well, although the drop is not so drastic. However I think Tata can fix it with a software update. Tata may not be known for after sales service, but they are very good in terms of listening to customer feedback especially for EVs.

Last edited by shamanths3 : 9th July 2022 at 10:38.
shamanths3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 20:45   #308
BHPian

Hey Guys,

So my car is finally on transit (via Truck, don't know why they said Train before) and my delivery is planned for 17th after PDI and everything.

Anyone thinking of getting the PPF done for the Max? Also I was told that installing an USB Dashcam will void the warranty. Any idea on this as well.

Please do suggest if you are thinking about any other must have accessories like Scuff plate etc. Although I do want scuff plates, showroom only had illuminated and I don't want any new internal wiring done in my EV
shamanths3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 23:12   #309
BHPian

I'm going through a brainstorming regarding buying the Nexon EV max or something else, but suddenly a fact struck my mind for which I need suggestion from existing Nexon EV & EV max users, this is regarding charging.
I live in a housing complex where we frequently experience power cuts, say about twice daily. Now, we do have 24x7 backup but that is limited to 1.2 KW only. So whenever we switch on any high KW equipment like AC during backup support, the changeover switch juts downs us, and as soon as we manually switch off the equipment 1.2 KW is back powering lights fans etc.
Now, say overnight charging of the Nexon EV max is going on, there is a powercut, the genset kicks in, the lights come back, but within seconds the EV max starts drawing power triggering the shutting down, then?
Can I electronically stop the EV max from charging so that the drawing stops? Or I need physically down the MCB by visiting my parking spot 4 levels down? Can we switch ON/OFF charging from phone/laptop?
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 00:14   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Now, say overnight charging of the Nexon EV max is going on, there is a powercut, the genset kicks in, the lights come back, but within seconds the EV max starts drawing power triggering the shutting down, then?
From what I understand, You should not connect the charger to the ACCL, the charger should be connected directly to the main supply, this way the genset and charger are not connected, your Nexon EV charges only from mains power supply.

Your AC, geyser and other higher wattage appliances also should be connected directly to the mains, not to the ACCL and genset.

Owners can confirm if charging session can be stopped from the app or not.
SKC-auto is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 06:41   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now, we do have 24x7 backup but that is limited to 1.2 KW only.

With such a small backup, pls do not connect your electric car’s charger or any other high power appliance like AC or geyser or dishwasher into your line with backup. They should be connected with your mains only.

It seems your genset and mains are running through common wiring with a simple changeover in between. That’s not right. The system is that two wiring circuits must run together inside your walls. One for mains, and the other for your inverter or generator. This way, you can connect your lights, fans and refrigerators to the backup line, leaving the heavy items on the mains. You get the flexibility of choosing what goes on the backup line and what does not, depending on available load and your needs. Should you get a bigger inverter or generator in future, any electrician can switch more individual points from mains line to backup line.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 10th July 2022 at 06:47.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 16:19   #312
BHPian

I may connect the charger directly with my supply mains bypassing the backup line. Now regarding other high KW appliances through a separate wiring, that’s not possible right now. The wiring for the entire housing complex is this way and this has been for years. An AC or an oven or geyser whenever switches on with backup line, the changeover trips. And automatically switches on as soon as the high power drawing equipment is switched off. And this is the case for about 150 apartments. Let me speak to our maintenance manager.
arpanjha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:01   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An AC or an oven or geyser whenever switches on with backup line, the changeover trips. And automatically switches on as soon as the high power drawing equipment is switched off. And this is the case for about 150 apartments. Let me speak to our maintenance manager.
You should not worry, the ACCL has a current limiter for the genset, so when it sees high current the changeover shuts. But, it's a good idea to connect to the mains, to avoid running to turn off the car charging.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:21   #314

I'm based out of Hyderabad and in June took some test drives for various EVs. Took one of the Tigor EV (Dealer A), MG ZS EV and the Nexon EV Max (Dealer B). Finally (my wife, daughter and I) decided and booked the EV Max XZ+Lux 3.3kw variant from Dealer B. All my TD have been at the dealers showrooms. The prime reason for this was to evaluate the showroom experience. The SA at Dealer A was completely clueless about EVs although the manager was really knowledgeable.

I visited the MG showroom closest to my home and found the experience pathetic. We were left waiting for over 30m, and no one approached us to even have a discussion. Instead I visited another MG dealer and even though they were far busier, had a more positive experience. The car even though larger than most 5 seaters I have driven, was easy to drive with the 360 degree camera very usefull when taking turns. However the under thigh support and the driver/passenger seating wasn't comfortable to my liking. For a car priced over 25L lack of ventilated seats and auto IRVM was a real deal breaker. Plus they had a waiting period of 10months and when I enquired about the excite version and what features it would have, they were non-commital. Also informally they said that they weren't sure that it would actually launch considering the long waiting periods for the exclusive version.

I visited Dealer B for the TD of the Nexon EV Max and even though the raised flooring resulted in a knees up position, we could get away with having our legs under the front seats, since we're not particularly tall. While I found the space less than the MG ZS EV, the seating was lot more comfortable. So we finally booked it and the dealer mentioned a waiting periods of 20-24weeks. However post booking other than the receipts, I wasn't provided any booking confirmation. So I kept following up with the dealer and finally was shared a screenshot in their booking system with the "Opportunity ID" mentioned. This took over a week.

In the meantime I called other Tata Dealers and "Dealer A" mentioned that for the Max XZ+Lux with 3.3kwh charger, their waiting period is around 3 months, and is longer for other variants. Other dealers also mentioned anywhere from 16-19 weeks. When I called up the SA at Dealer B, he said it will come sooner but this is what they were told to tell customers. I got a call from a third dealer (Dealer C) and I raised the concern with their SA (who was a lady) and I told her that I already booked with Dealer B but that I could consider booking with them if I got it sooner and also a lower insurance cost (since others were quoting upwords of 92K). She said if you are getting different waiting periods from different dealers, I should book with the others as well since it is completely refundable. Also she said that I did not have to take the insurance from them and could get the same outside. Furthermore she said she could raise the booking for 1/2 of the booking amount. So while I paid 21K for the first booking, I paid 11K for the second. This person was more responsive and by the next day got a receipt for both the invoice and the booking confirmation.

Now in order of the overall dealer experience, I found Dealer C's to be the most responsive. Dealer B however has the closest service center followed by Dealer C and Dealer A. The closest showroom by time is Dealer A, and by distance is another dealer (which I did not consider because the service center is too far away).

All showrooms are able to provide a Nexon EV within a few weeks as people have changed the booking to the EV Max. If the Nexon EV had all the other features of the EV Max (except for the larger battery and the ventilated seats) I would have probably booked it instead.

I was hoping that the pricing for the Toyota Hyryder would be competitive enough for me to consider it over the Nexon EV Max. But unlike Haryana, there are no benefits in Telangana for Hybrid cars.

So I am looking for advice on the following:
  1. Is booking with multiple dealers the right thing to do? Other than the opportunity to get cancelled bookings reassigned, would Tata motors prioritise delivery to some dealers over others?
  2. While I do not need the car till February (the earliest I can resume working from office due to renovation work), my concern is price increase due to the 6 airbags rule and due to the exemptions of road tax for electric cars being limited to the first 5000. I would expect around 20K per airbag. For purely city driving I do not see the need for side/curtain airbags. I've been driving cars since 2002, and driving cars in Hyderabad since 2009.
  3. I currently have a 3phase power connection with contracted load of 5kw. My peak usage (RMD) in summer has been just a little over 3kw. Would I need to increase the contracted load to be on the safe side? I stay in a rented apartment and the meters/distribution system is under 10m from the one of the two parking lots assigned to me. This parking lot is also exactly 3 floors below my flat, and coincidently is exactly where the provision for the air conditioning system is. I currently do not use air conditioning in summer (do not liked closed rooms), but that could change going forward as air coolers are beginnning to get a bit inconvenient. I have got signoff from the owner on installing the charger in the parking lot subject to approvals from the apartment association.
  4. My office as part of the renovation work is setting up couple of EV charging stations in the underground parking. So even if I do not get approval from the association, charging will not be a constraint going forward. For now the closest EV (Fortum) is around 6km away at an Indian oil petrol bunk. How do those that do not have charging facilities at their homes manage with public chargers?

Last edited by Aditya : 11th July 2022 at 17:53. Reason: Spacing
Old 11th July 2022, 12:53   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
It seems like you're really an EV expert and know this subject better than everyone else.
Hey S2! I wouldn't call myself an EV expert here , however i have researched a lot for more than 2 years (from the day Nexon EV was launched) before buying my own EV Max. Also i have been an avid follower of Teslas and their growth from the time they put a battery on a Lotus (Not sure if any of you remember the scene from SUITS). In my past research i feel there is a lot of miscommunication, pushbacks for the adoption on ICE. Just today I read a news with half truths (https://www.motorbeam.com/tata-nexon...tly-to-afford/) .

So, no not an expert, but i try to research on the things before forming an opinion. Also i follow many EV experts who knows 1 or 2 things about EVs, so i would recommend following them and getting as much input as possible. EV owners are i feel easy approachable and are open to answer any of your questions. So please feel free to DM them when necessary. Few examples for youtube channels are Noise Faktory, Plugin India, Rahul Kaushik etc. They are very passionate and have owned an EV in the past or present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I'm sure you've gone through this post, but still think otherwise, due to your expertise in this field.
Yes, i went through this post on the day it was posted. I should thank Zeon Charging for posting the graph TBH. If you check the graph, seems the charging started at around 58% and its charging at 30KW and it reduced drastically above 80%. This is the expected behaviour.

I am still waiting for Tata to say something about the charging limits they have put as it seems too aggressive as the charging never went aove 30kW and they might update the software over the next update cycles. Also as i have said earlier, the car that was taken to Zeon Charging was most likely a review unit and all of the reviews happened in Mumbai and Delhi (Delhi also dont have Zeon Charging yet), so most likely Mumbai. Hence due to higher ambient temperature the charging might have never gone above 30kW.

Once i recieve my car, and i have a charger on my way to my hometown with 50kW support, i will charge here and update to see if there is any difference between Bangalore and Mumbai.

PS: I have learnt a lot since joining Team-bhp as well as there are many enthusiasts here. So please do read their comments but also do your research to ascertain the validity (including my posts ) .
shamanths3 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks