Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 11:33   #376
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Tata Motors joins hands with Axis Bank, offers exclusive Electric Vehicle Dealer Financing Program for authorized passenger EV Dealers.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-c2d5f551731247adac633a69a613f024.jpeg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-a51afa09682f4bee80576e7c44cfab71.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:42   #377
BHPian

Question: Has there been cases of EVs being submerged in floods, etc ? A friend is considering Nexon EV however his parking/basement sometimes gets flooded as he lives nearby to coastal area.
I understand that even ICEs are affected by floods but they are not total loss as they can be restored in worst cases. Also the chances of hazard in Floods is not that much.
So, back to question: How are these EVs protected for such scenarios ? Is there some kind of all weather sealing ? Perhaps so much that it actually is better than ICE when it comes to flooding etc. ?
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:49   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanths3 View Post
Tata Nexon EV MAX - Spaceship on Wheels

Attachment 2339072

Hi BHPians,

This is my experience in buying and owning the Max. It's going to be slightly long so please bear with me.
[b]
A nice and detailed review. It becomes interesting especially when I have booked and waiting for one.

A few questions:
  1. Bangalore to Mysore in 1 charge is totally possible provided with any kind of driving. You mean Bangalore to Mysore and Back, right ?
  2. How much did PPF cost you?
  3. How much time did it take for you to charge from mall of mysore?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th July 2022 at 22:51. Reason: Typos
Prasidhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:22   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasidhi View Post
A nice and detailed review. It becomes interesting especially when I have booked and waiting for one.

A few questions:
  1. Bangalore to Mysore in 1 charge is totally possible provided with any kind of driving. You mean Bangalore to Mysore and Back, right ?
  2. How much did PPF cost you?
  3. How much time did it take for you to charge from mall of mysore?
1. Yes, Bangalore to Mysore and return journey in single charge with any type of driving.

2. PPF cost was around 1.2L for the Stek brand.

3. I charged from 48% SOC to 85% which took around 30 mins in 50kw charger. One good news is that the speed didn't drop from 30kwh at any time. However on the normal Nexon EV I observed that charging rate at 9kwh as well even before it reached 90%. In my next travel I charged to 93% even then the rate didn't fall from 30kwh.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th July 2022 at 22:52. Reason: Quotes post edited.
shamanths3 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 17:36   #380
BHPian

Got an internal TPMS installed today (JK Treel), I didn't realise it was this cheap, paid ~ Rs 2500 for all 5 wheels incl balancing and weights. More detailed post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5368076 (Treel (by JK Tyres) launches internal TPMS sensors with Bluetooth)

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_0590.jpg

In other news, drove from 100% to 16% over the last 2 days, and trip meter shows 224 km, and extrapolating that comes to 267 km actual range. The drives were mostly in city mode, driving like I drive my ICE car, no opportunity for cruise control. This consisted of multiple 15-30 km trips, some idling with just the AC on. Ambient temps were mostly around 33-35 degrees with the AC set to 23-24. I didn't check, but I have a feeling that the tyres were in-adequately filled, which might have contributed to the relatively lower range.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_0589.jpg

Will be driving to Bangalore sometime in the next couple of days, would then have the opportunity to test it properly on highways with cruise control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Now the hunt for a proper fitting mat, please do post here if you find a good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmunjuluri View Post
Mine are also pending and they are pushing me to get the regular ones fixed, but I denied and still waiting for EV psecific 7D mats from almost a month now.
So I checked with couple of sellers for 7D mats. Seller UrbanWheels on Amazon (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09LHQ6493/) said it should fit, although they don't have a specific variant and said they have sold to other Max owners and nobody has complained. He was okay for me to return it if I am not satisfied, so I went ahead and ordered it, should come sometime this weekend.

Another seller I checked with is https://www.7dmatsindia.com/, he said he has an EV specific (not Max) variant and it would be a proper fit. I shared my concerns and the video of the Tata mats. He said he has sold to other Max owners and it is a good fit, he even showed a WhatsApp conversation with someone he claims to be a buyer who owns an EV Max, where the buyer confirms its a good fit on the Max.

I will wait for the Hi Art 7D mats from UrbanWheels, if its not a good fit, will go for 7D Mats India. Price after discounts for Hi Art is 4.7k and 7D Mats India is 6.3k.

Last edited by varkey : 28th July 2022 at 18:04.
varkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 11:01   #381
BHPian

Your observations were bang on and I'm sure many EV max owners would agree.
Mine is almost a month old now and has done 900 kms approx on the odo.

The first few days after delivery I didn't try to get the max out of the battery and hence drove like a normal ICE car within city limits. I used ECO and city drive modes (40:60) with seldom use of the sports mode. Amazed at the ease and refinement it offers for the price especially after upgrading from a diesel I20 manual.
I got only 180-200 kms max on a full charge initially, however it kept improving after keeping regen levels between 1-2 and liberal use of ECO mode.
Mostly the AC was on with temp set at 20 since our city was hot ( 35-36 degrees)

However since the vehicle is also used by my drivers for ferrying kids to school and local market trips for my missus, hence there would be a change in driving styles since these guys sometimes floor the pedal to overtake.
I'm getting an average of 195 Kwh/km which I felt was way too high according to the app.
The vehicle gives me realistic range of 200-220 km with a full a charge to 10 percent.
I went to detailing mafia for a combo of ceramic coat and PPF.
PPF was applied in the front bumper, front and rear piano black panels and the piano black panel around the gear selector.

Do you think mine has BMS issue that needs sorting out?
Any tips on how to improve the range efficiency?
I have gone with the 3.3 Kw charger at home since I was skeptical about the 7 Kw one.

Any tips or advice on this regard will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-photo20220702200748-copy.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-photo20220701175130.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-photo20220701175115.jpg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-photo20220702200812.jpg  

Last edited by pradheepsr : 29th July 2022 at 11:11.
pradheepsr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 12:40   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanths3 View Post
the petrol topic used to come up and we used to plan shorter trips. Yes money was not the problem, but somehow we used to feel that paying 90% of the trip budget to Petrol was not worth it.
Congratulations on your purchase! However you traded fuel cost anxiety for range anxiety and the latter is much worse. EV for long trips make little sense as of now and you'll eventually end up planning shorter trips or very specific routes/stops because of it.
Tanmay007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 15:12   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! However you traded fuel cost anxiety for range anxiety and the latter is much worse. EV for long trips make little sense as of now and you'll eventually end up planning shorter trips or very specific routes/stops because of it.
That's a bit pessimistic. I am in the same camp as OP. A simple highway trip between Chennai and Bangalore ends up costing me roughly Rs 10k. The same on an EV will be Rs 1000 and there are plenty of 50 KW fast chargers on this route. I am happy spending another 30 mins in journey time if it can save me Rs 9000.

The EV infrastructure on highways is rapidly improving and you always have the option of charging at your destination once you reach it. I anticipate doing a lot more long-distance driving than today with an ICE when I get my car.
shyampsunder is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 16:22   #384
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice, as well as help, if anybody can, as I have exhausted all my options. Apologies in advance, this is going to be a bit long maybe!

The case is this - I have been evaluating buying an EV for past year or so, and as a combination of rising fuel prices and my growing confidence in infrastructure I decided to take the plunge and as the rumors strengthened for a potential long range Nexon, I found that to be a perfect fit and I took a test drive for Nexon EV on 31st March and booked the Nexon EV (with a promise of being prioritized for the long range version as and when it launches) KHT Motors Domlur. I was very clear with them that I wanted the long range only and was booking early to be prioritized.

The horror of dealing with this dealership started almost a few weeks in, it was difficult for me to get in touch with a point of contact. Till date - I do not have a booking ID/booking confirmation from Tata Motors.

One evening, surprisingly, I got an email with the teaser of EV MAx launch (5th May). The very same moment, I sent out an email confirming the change of my booking. Post that, despite multiple follow ups and calls, not receiving a proper answer, I visited the Domlur showroom, where the SA (this was another person assigned when original SA left) and the team lead promised that the booking change was confirmed and I should expect my delivery end of May or early June. I took that with a pinch of salt and prepared to wait till mid June. I wasn't in the town anyway in the first two weeks of June.

Before I went off, I enquired again with the SA on potential allotment and was told that I was priority 3 at KHT and I should be expecting the vehicle by mid-June at max. By this moment, you wouldn't be surprised that Mid-june passed away, and there was no intimation from KHT and I was already hearing of vehicles being delivered across the country, even in Bangalore, and surprisingly, even at KHT motors (across both dealerships).

I visited the showroom again on 24th June as I had discovered from my sources (later confirmed by the team lead as well), that 4-5 vehicles were delivered at KHT itself. Disappointment for me, considering I was told that I was priority 3 at KHT. During this discussion I was told my file was logged in on 16th May, a full 5 days after bookings opened and after personally being confirmed that the booking was changed on 11th of May, and a full 11 days after I sent the initial email to change the booking, followed by another email on 12th of May. I felt let down due to the delay from dealership's side that had potentially put me lower on the allocation list (if any, at Tata's end)

The same day, the team lead again promised the allotment in next 20 days, as at this point, I was ready to cancel my booking as I was done dealing with such dishonesty and opacity of process. Even those 20 days are long over and there isn't a car in sight. To be fair, I was offered EV Max XZ+ around the 30th June, but since I had booked EV Max XZ+ Lux, I wanted the same model and declined to take that.

For the past 2 weeks I am being told that the car will be allocated in next couple of days and on 25th July, I was connected to Mr. Rahul, sales manager at KHT Domlur, and he mentioned, to my shock, that I was at 98th priority within KHT. Logic - just because I had booked the Dark version of Normal Nexon EV initially, my entire booking was reset and put back in the queue (behind everyone who had upgraded from a teal normal EV booking and whoever made a fresh booking for Max). This had to be a joke and the final nail in the coffin.

I decided to escalate the same to their final escalation point and received a call, from another person (designation unknown) from Domlur showroom saying that people who have their original bookings from Jan/Feb have still not gotten their cars. To which I had a simple response - people who had bookings in late may have gotten their cars though - quite unsure how and why - and again no response to that. They say that i should wait till mid-august and might get the car, that they'll allocate on priority. However, I am done with their promises and have low expectations of getting the car in August as well.

Although, I am not desperate for the car as I do have my Verna right now, but I am impatient at this moment. I am not sure what is the problem in being transparent and giving details and telling customers how the process of allotment works for the dealership and consequently the expected wait time?

I do want advice on whether to cancel the booking at KHT, or make a parallel booking elsewhere (I am already 4 months in)? Is there someone who can vouch for a better experience elsewhere with a SA? What are my other options, or any other advice you might have?
alok9345 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 16:53   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
You're absolutely right in your calculations, however you've missed computing the interest cost, and the depreciation. If one actually computes the TCO of both variants, the petrol one wins. But I guess its a matter of time before the Premium on EV's comes down or ICE is eliminated by new regulations.
Also missing is the cost of time, multiple route adjustment to get near a charger, waiting in queque for hours to get access to charger and time for charging itself. Plus constant fear of running put of charge. Life is pretty convulated itself and adding EV on top of that could be little too much.

Time and convenience are biggest currency and with that logic, EVs will always loose. One has to charge mobile, watch, headphone and multiple other stuff. Charging cars on top of that can be uncomfortable.

However nil NVH makes them cool to drive and non tiring.

Last edited by varun.petro : 29th July 2022 at 16:55.
varun.petro is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 18:01   #386
BHPian

Nexon EV versus Nexon ICE- Just a car-to-car comparison WITHOUT considering any other factors; Nexon EV is a clear winner.

But the cost of the EV over the ICE versions, the range anxiety, time factor, long-distance capabilities, etc mean that the EV is back on par with its cousins .

So as of today, if you want to go for an EV it is for the amazingly quiet cabin and ease of driving. Rest all evens out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice, as well as help, if anybody can, as I have exhausted all my options. Apologies in advance, this is going to be a bit long maybe!

I do want advice on whether to cancel the booking at KHT, or make a parallel booking elsewhere (I am already 4 months in)? Is there someone who can vouch for a better experience elsewhere with a SA? What are my other options, or any other advice you might have?
I got the Nexon petrol from the same dealer. A bit lousy and lazy, but somehow can get the work done. Do NOT ever wait for them to get back or initiate. You need to follow up continuously with every discussion/conversation in writing over mail/WhatsApp. When a booking is made, a proper mail confirmation is delivered. Even after a change in the variant, again a mail should confirm.

I also made a booking, then changed the variant. Everything was through mail which makes it easier to escalate if necessary. NOTHING should be just verbal. A million people walk in to their showroom every day and God knows how many enquiries, test drives, deliveries and bookings. So they are under enormous pressure and are likely to goof up any moment.

And yes, the scenario is not likely to be any different in other dealerships.
Old 29th July 2022, 18:11   #387
Senior - BHPian

Tata motors sold 9300EVs in Q1 of the current financial year, this is almost half of 19K EVs sold in last FY. This news is amazing, could Tata finish with 40K EVs this year?

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...980169219.html
SKC-auto is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 19:23   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.petro View Post
Also missing is the cost of time, multiple route adjustment to get near a charger, waiting in queque for hours to get access to charger and time for charging itself. Plus constant fear of running put of charge. Life is pretty convulated itself and adding EV on top of that could be little too much. Time and convenience are biggest currency and with that logic, EVs will always loose.
Both of you are completely incorrect. There are absolutely zero issues with long distance trips in an EV. I have driven 23k kms in the past 10 months on my MG ZS EV and that has included so many long trips. There are multiple charging options along all major routes and in most cities. Planning is quite easy. You have to stop to rest and eat on long drives anyway. So all we have to do is take a short break of 30 to 45 minutes every 200 kms which is something I would do anyway. If you are going on a 12 hour drive, you are bound to stop for lunch, dinner as well as tea and bathroom breaks. Many chargers are located at food courts and malls along highways. In fact an EV saves time and is convenient as you don’t have to waste time driving to petrol stations and wait in queue. 95% of the time you easily charge it at home. Same can be done at a hotel or if visiting someone. There is electricity everywhere. Even if you end up spending an extra hour on a long trip once every few months, the overall convenience is well worth it. So is paying just Rs 500 for a trip that would cost 5,000 on a petrol vehicle. A lot of chargers, malls, hotels and commercial buildings provide free charging. I haven’t seen anyone giving away free fuel.

Take a look at how many chargers from different companies are available on the busy Delhi Haridwar route when I was charging my ZS last week. As you can see, only one out of 8 or 9 slots is being used by me. This is one of the several charging areas within a few kms on this route. So if all these were busy, I could have easily gone elsewhere. Also take a look at the beautiful food court and food options to enjoy while we recharge. No inconvenience at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-41e02233d05c44d893e068322f7caecc.jpeg  

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-9036e3c1ca2643719a6873b286613b5b.jpeg  

Last edited by Lobogris : 29th July 2022 at 19:29.
Lobogris is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 20:43   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post

I do want advice on whether to cancel the booking at KHT, or make a parallel booking elsewhere (I am already 4 months in)?
Make a parallel booking at another dealer. Let both of them know that whoever gets you the vehicle first will get your purchase. There will at least be a sense of urgency in KHT to get you the vehicle.
Old 29th July 2022, 22:44   #390

Has anyone opted for extended warranty on Nexon EV Max? My car is almost ready for delivery but for last 10 days I have been following up with SA at Wasan Motors, Mumbai, for details on extended warranty and there has been absolute silence on that. I wonder if Tata is not providing extended warranty on Max or if it is lack of initiative from SA or is there some other hidden agenda in this. I have followed up on messages and calls at least every alternate day but no reply on extended warranty details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks