Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2022, 09:55   #541
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
They theoretically could but allowing remote management of such critical components is a risk for disaster in case some malicious agent hacks into your car. Imagine driving along and your accelerator goes all the way down or your electric power steering develops a mind of it's own.
We all know how unscrupulous some dealers can be here. I absolutely do not want a dealership to have remote access to my car's OBD.

However, in the future, all cars are likely to come with such software anyway once the relevant security protocols have been tested and implemented and laws have been passed governing what they can and cannot do.
There can be a simple enable/disable remote management setting, it can be a software menu setting for current cars and can be a physical switch/mode in future. Owner can enable it only when needed. Additionally they can check car should be stationary, in neutral/park and key fob is present, etc. for further safety.

Of course whether the industry is ready to enable this is a different question. Maybe TATA with their already stretched service centers will see this as a way improve their service.
Old 9th October 2022, 03:58   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasidhi View Post
Did you book through KHT motors?

I was told by KHT that there is someone who wants to deallocate the car allotted to him as he was traveling to Kerala. I was told they will get the car allotted to me , which never happened. Now they are saying I am in their waitlist 1, and next allotment will happen to me. My booking date is May 29
Yes that's me. Hope you took delivery (If yes - Congrats). I'm caught up in a personal whirlwind of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
https://www.autocarindia.com/industr...-months-425847

Ask them if they can re-allocate it back to you! As per this Autocar article from yesterday, the deadline will shift back to April 2024
Well I'm OK with next allocation in October/November hopefully. Not in a hurry. Really disappointed that car manufacturers are getting special treatment for such simple change that ensures safety of thousands of new car owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Yes, i had booked ev max intensi teal but changed to jet edition as soon as it launched and luckily they alloted one to mangalore so i ended up getting the 1st jet edition ev max in mangalore district. Car has reached dealership 10 days back on 15th but my wife had forbidden me to take delivery till 26th as it is inauspicious time.
I will be taking delivey tomorrow as its 1st day of Dussehra and good time. The 7.2 kW fast charger was installed at home 4 days back and registration done 2 days back. Ceramic coating was done yesterday and I got the 7d mats from car accessory shop as the dealership did not have ev max 7d mats. Attaching a few pics of the car and charger installed at home.
Very beautiful edition! Congrats on the new car.

Anyone else irritated with interior design missing below simple features in a "luxury" car:
1. Wireless charger under centre console rather then below the arm rest?
2. No large bottle holders in door(coming from i10 find this missing feature really annoying)
3. Wireless Android Auto/Carplay.
4. Cup holder near armrest instead of useless wireless charger which is mostly not featured in Android phones (I would rather have Auto Dimming ORVM as standard feature and wireless charger in luxury )

Any suggestions to add these through accesories/Third party changes are welcome.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th October 2022 at 07:24. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Jake_K is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 20:14   #543
BHPian

Re: My First EV: Nexon EV 2.0 Aka Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by missedapproach View Post

Charger Installation:

Is the charger 3 Phase or single phase? Meaning is it using all 4 wires from meter as input. RYB and neutral or just 2 (1 Phase and 1 Neutral)?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th October 2022 at 23:47. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 10th October 2022, 05:09   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
Is the charger 3 Phase or single phase? Meaning is it using all 4 wires from meter as input. RYB and neutral or just 2 (1 Phase and 1 Neutral)?
It’s single phase (phase and neutral). However most discoms won’t give an electric connection for loads above 5-6 kW as single phase, so you’d mostly have to upgrade to a 3 phase connection if not already.
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 12:22   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
It’s single phase (phase and neutral). However most discoms won’t give an electric connection for loads above 5-6 kW as single phase, so you’d mostly have to upgrade to a 3 phase connection if not already.
Yeah, i have a 3 phase already and would have been happier if the charger was 3 phase as well. 7.2KW is too much current on a single phase and needs unnecessary upgrade of wiring from the distribution box to the meter.
vj_v3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 15:46   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_K View Post

Anyone else irritated with interior design missing below simple features in a "luxury" car:
1. Wireless charger under centre console rather then below the arm rest?
2. No large bottle holders in door(coming from i10 find this missing feature really annoying)
3. Wireless Android Auto/Carplay.
4. Cup holder near armrest instead of useless wireless charger which is mostly not featured in Android phones (I would rather have Auto Dimming ORVM as standard feature and wireless charger in luxury )

Any suggestions to add these through accesories/Third party changes are welcome.
For me personally wireless charger near the arm rest is perfect as it feels the mobile is more accessible.
I have been able to fit in two 1 ltr bottle pretty easily, so haven't been an issue.
I do feel wireless android auto is a miss as most of the times I am charging my phone wirelessly. I am already thinking of buying an wireless android auto adapter which costs around 6-8k.
Cup holder I feel is one of the big misses on the center console. I am living with it, but would have been great if we could have atleast 1 anywhere easily accessible. However if you ask to choose between wireless charger or the cup holder, I would choose the charger as it's actually a fast charger and my Samsung phone does support and charges effortlessly. But TAMO should have put cup holders atleast somewhere for the front occupants.
shamanths3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 17:48   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, i have a 3 phase already and would have been happier if the charger was 3 phase as well. 7.2KW is too much current on a single phase and needs unnecessary upgrade of wiring from the distribution box to the meter.
True! I guess the discom usually upgrades the cable from the pole to meter as part of the payment that you make for connected load increase. But yeah if that is internal wiring, then would involve some labour to get that changed.

AC chargers 11 kW and above run on 3 phase.

I recently acquired a 7 kW charger, and initially I am just planning to limit the current to 20A or so and use it. I have a 3 phase connection with a connected load of 10 kW. To go above 10 kW, KSEB (Kerala) wants me to pay close to 18k, I am not very much inclined to do that.
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 12:03   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_K View Post
Yes that's me. Hope you took delivery (If yes - Congrats). I'm caught up in a personal whirlwind of issues.
Thank You and, Nopes, I didn't get that allocation. However, I was allotted another vehicle by TATA on 01st October, vehicle reached the yard on Saturday, and I completed the PDI yesterday. Hopefully, delivery will happen by weekend.

Planning to do a ceramic coating immediately after delivery. Taking cues from Shamanth in our forum, spoke to Autorush Rakshith and found it interesting. Will be checking with them in detail over the weekend.

One basic doubt: If anybody has used EV in Ghat section, please let me know what is the Mode and Regen Level that should be used for uphill and downhill.
Prasidhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 12:31   #549
BHPian

Quote:
True! I guess the discom usually upgrades the cable from the pole to meter as part of the payment that you make for connected load increase. But yeah if that is internal wiring, then would involve some labour to get that changed.

AC chargers 11 kW and above run on 3 phase.

I recently acquired a 7 kW charger, and initially I am just planning to limit the current to 20A or so and use it. I have a 3 phase connection with a connected load of 10 kW. To go above 10 kW, KSEB (Kerala) wants me to pay close to 18k, I am not very much inclined to do that.
Here in telangana, you pay Rs 1500 per KW contracted load increase. If switching from <5 KW to >5KW. they will come upgrade meter to 3 phase and ask you to get the wiring done by your electrician and coordinate with the line man to switch the wire at the pole (some chai pani involved offcourse).

Or you can contract the work to the Department and they will charge you for the wiring and manpower. Usually for smaller installations, they just ask you to use your electrician only anyway.

You mentioned about limiting current to 20A. is that a feature on the charger where you can specific how much current it should allow? In the OP on this thread i read it was switched to 3.3KW. I know my wiring can support 5KW, so if configuring it to 22 Amps etc is an option, that will be perfect and best of both worlds. But if its either 3.3 or 7.2 then thats a problem and i would prefer upgrading.
Old 11th October 2022, 14:51   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You and, Nopes, I didn't get that allocation. However, I was allotted another vehicle by TATA on 01st October, vehicle reached the yard on Saturday, and I completed the PDI yesterday. Hopefully, delivery will happen by weekend.
I think you had also inquired with KHT post my allocation and then my SA was very livid that I put up the post on TBHP and people were pushing him to allocate cars to them too. It was fun conversation.

Quote:
Planning to do a ceramic coating immediately after delivery. Taking cues from Shamanth in our forum, spoke to Autorush Rakshith and found it interesting. Will be checking with them in detail over the weekend.
Can you please let me know how that conversation goes. I have inquired at multiple places for PPF and unable to justify that cost for the car, but thinking need some protection for sure.

Quote:
One basic doubt: If anybody has used EV in Ghat section, please let me know what is the Mode and Regen Level that should be used for uphill and downhill.

I recently went to Vythiri, and while the ghat section was nothing to speak about on the way to the place, the resort (wildflower) was on a hill and the approach from the gate to the reception was steep inclines with 3-4 hairpin bends. If I were to guess, 45 degree inclines atleast. First time around, the car had no issues climbing up in eco mode, just me and my wife and our 1 yr old. Second time around, two of my friends joined us while climbing up (one of them a bit heavy) and it struggled in the eco mode, but as soon as i shifted to city, it just took off without a hitch. Didn't even have to change to sport! Funnily, my friends were in a petrol i20 and he was not willing to try the climb with 4 onboard, while he made fun of shifting to electric this early all through the way.

Even my office ramp is 45 degree incline and it climbs it from standstill without a hitch.
alok9345 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 16:27   #551
BHPian

Quote:
You mentioned about limiting current to 20A. is that a feature on the charger where you can specific how much current it should allow? In the OP on this thread i read it was switched to 3.3KW. I know my wiring can support 5KW, so if configuring it to 22 Amps etc is an option, that will be perfect and best of both worlds. But if its either 3.3 or 7.2 then thats a problem and i would prefer upgrading.
Sorry, I was referring about the non-Tata 7 kW charger that I acquired. It’s an eo mini, and lets you set the charging current as per your requirement. 6A, 10A, 12A, 16A, 20A, 25A, 30A and 32A. I’m not sure if the Tata branded Exicom charger lets you do that. Considering it’s all done using the software, the Tata technicians might be able to set a custom value.

It’s also good that there is only a one time cost for increasing the connected load. In Karnataka for example, the fixed charge for a connection is a multiple of your sanctioned load. So you pay the one time upgrade fee and also pay a higher monthly fixed cost irrespective of usage.
Increasing sanctioned load by 7 kW in Bangalore would increase your monthly fixed cost by Rs 770 (@ Rs 110/kW), this is before any increase in usage costs.
varkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 21:56   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I was referring about the non-Tata 7 kW charger that I acquired. It’s an eo mini, and lets you set the charging current as per your requirement. 6A, 10A, 12A, 16A, 20A, 25A, 30A and 32A. I’m not sure if the Tata branded Exicom charger lets you do that. Considering it’s all done using the software, the Tata technicians might be able to set a custom value.

It’s also good that there is only a one time cost for increasing the connected load. In Karnataka for example, the fixed charge for a connection is a multiple of your sanctioned load. So you pay the one time upgrade fee and also pay a higher monthly fixed cost irrespective of usage.
Increasing sanctioned load by 7 kW in Bangalore would increase your monthly fixed cost by Rs 770 (@ Rs 110/kW), this is before any increase in usage costs.

What the price of the EO mini charger you are referring to? it is cheaper than tata's 50k?

Yeah i know about KA. Its only a matter of time, eventually all discoms will definitely adopt these pricing strategies once EV adoption increases. Then EV will stop making sense again.

I know that some states don't allow EV charging on the residential meter already, i think MP. We'll see what the future has in store for us.
vj_v3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 03:08   #553
BHPian

The need of the hour is a definition of "true highway range" which is the range you get with 5 adults and their luggage onboard (maybe 5 standard suitcases !) and the car being driven close to its top speed of 140km/h without regen and with AC on. If this number is known and validated by multiple users then everything else can be back calculated.
Sumedik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 18:53   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah i know about KA. Its only a matter of time, eventually all discoms will definitely adopt these pricing strategies once EV adoption increases. Then EV will stop making sense again.
Most EVs can do 5km on 1 kwh (worst case), even 15A charger will charge 2 kWh in an hour and regular should do ~3 kWh. So 10 hour overnight charging will give 100 to 150 km range. Unless your daily average exceeds this or you have two EVs, there is no point in increasing your sanctioned load for AC Fast charging.

There is a parked thread in the Electric car section about this:
Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ctric-car.html (Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car)
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 12:07   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
The need of the hour is a definition of "true highway range" which is the range you get with 5 adults and their luggage onboard (maybe 5 standard suitcases !) and the car being driven close to its top speed of 140km/h without regen and with AC on. If this number is known and validated by multiple users then everything else can be back calculated.
I am not sure what you are trying to solve for over here. In what situation does one go 140km/hr with 5 adult occupants? One should be solving for their majority use case and not extremes. If it's your second car, it becomes a no-brainer for most of us even with today's range and charging infra, if you have an ICE for your "very" long highway runs, just for piece of mind while the electric infra develops for convenience.
alok9345 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed