Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 16:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Guys, don't kill me for a noob question. What happens to the range if I get stuck in traffic for extended hours? On last 3 occasions, my Pune to Mumbai runs via expressway each way took 6+ hours for approximately 180km distance. Many patches of it were spent crawling at 4-5 kmph in a knee breaking marathon traffic.

If I start with 100% range from Pune at 6AM would I reach Borivali at 1230-1PM with continuous A/C for 180kms in this car?
A very valid question and worry.

EVs are super-efficient in slow-moving traffic because of their regen functionality.

About using AC, there are YouTubers abroad who have camped in their ZS EV overnight with AC running, it usually drains 10% to 15%. You can assume you will drain 1% of the battery every hour. In the case of Nexon, even if you assume double the drain, it's still 2% per hour which is still very good.

One reason I want to get an EV is to sit in the car for hours worry-free without the guilt of burning fuel.
shyampsunder is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 16:38   #32
BHPian

The reviews are now ending abruptly, I really like small tits/bits team uses to add at the end of section after every review.

In the car, it's a complete package in itself, but could not fathom why Tata cannot rule this tiny irritant like miss-aligned pieces, crude aux button etc.
Sach_511 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 16:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
You'd end up consuming little power on EVs when not moving, unlike ICE when a stationary car has a running engine. This is precisely why EVs excel in stop go traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
EVs are super-efficient in slow-moving traffic because of their regen functionality.

About using AC, there are YouTubers abroad who have camped in their ZS EV overnight with AC running, it usually drains 10% to 15%. You can assume you will drain 1% of the battery every hour. In the case of Nexon, even if you assume double the drain, it's still 2% per hour which is still very good.

One reason I want to get an EV is to sit in the car for hours worry-free without the guilt of burning fuel.
Excellent. Very reassuring! I shall pass this info to someone I know who had same doubt
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 17:02   #34
BHPian

Great review as always
Hope Tata brings out more and more models & tech to common people at affordable prices. Wishing them all the success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach_511 View Post
The reviews are now ending abruptly, I really like small tits/bits team uses to add at the end of section after every review.

In the car, it's a complete package in itself, but could not fathom why Tata cannot rule this tiny irritant like miss-aligned pieces, crude aux button etc.
+100

Whenever a review comes up in Team-BHP, I used to read the "Other points" section first. Missing it now a days.
Asish_VK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 17:39   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The car has an ARAI-certified range of 473 km (125 km more than the regular Nexon EV). You can expect a real-world range of ~300 km. The Max also gets a 7.2 kWh fast charging option.
It's 437km ARAI range, please fix the typo. And the 7.2kwh is AC charging option it's not fast charging option. Fast charging is 50kwh DC.

Quote:
• Loads of features over the standard Nexon EV such as fast charging, ventilated seats, auto-dimming IRVM, Sport & Eco modes, multi-mode regen, cruise control, air purifier, wireless smartphone charging, sunroof and more
It should read "faster (higher) fast charging" than just fast charging, the original nexon EV supports fast charging as well, which is 25kw (21kw in reality)

Quote:

Tata Nexon EV Max Cons

• Needs a charging point installed at your home parking spot. This is not doable for many people
• Lack of charging infrastructure & ~300 km range limits long-distance / highway usability
• Long “full tank” charging times in comparison with an ICE car. Overnight charging is best
You can still use an EV without home charging, I have been doing it for over two years with Fast charging at BESCOM and charging at office. It might not be ideal, but it is not problematic either.

Quote:
The price difference to the equivalent petrol AMT variant is a whopping 6.84 lakh (Rs. 5.54 lakh for diesel AMT)!
If we factor in Road tax, this figure narrows down drastically. Petrol XZA+ DT is 15.75L, where as top end Nexon EV Max might be around 20.7L. Of course, this varies from state to state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Is there confirmation about the charging capabilities of both versions of the EV Max? Do both versions (with and without 7.2kW charger) come with 7.2kW on-board charger? Do both versions support 50kW DC charging?
Yes, the onboard charger is 7.2kw, so it can do 50kw DC charging and AC 7.2 when you find one, regardless of the model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
I read somewhere that in the non Max Nexon EV, the onboard AC charger supports the 3.3KW charger only and cannot support higher charging rates. Is that true?
Does this mean that the onboard unit for the 7kw charger is different from the 3.3KW model, which are 2 different car models available for the MAX. OR is the extra 50K for the external charger and the internal components are same for both. In which case, we can just get the lower model and procure the 7kw charger later if need be?
if the above is true, Does this also mean the existing 30kwh model of nexon ev will also support 7kw charger or is there something different on the new models internally.
Yes, Original Nexon EV, supports only 3.3 (2.7kw in reality) even if you plug it into higher charger, it will only charge at 2.7kw and 21kw DC.
in MAX, the onboard charger supports 7.2/50 charging rates, so you are good there.
DarthVeda is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 18:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Great review!

Tata has come up with a compelling package. You got to wonder if this is the MG ZS EV killer, especially the upcoming Excite model which will be approximately 2 lakhs more expensive than the Nexon.

If Tata can improve their production capacity and reduce the waiting period I think the cars will be flying off the shelves. They were also really sensible in keeping the original EV as well to cater to the city only customers at a lower price. Making the 7 KW charger optional was also really smart unlike MG and Hyundai.

I hope this pays off for Tata to bring in cars with usable features at good prices.
I suspect that MG will have to rethink the pricing and feature set of the ZS EV. They will need to differentiate ZS EV sufficiently from Nexon Max to justify a price premium, and also ensure that the price premium is within reasonable limits.

My wishlist for MG is as follows -

a. Raise the equipment levels in the Excite model to include everything which Exclusive has, except for the sunroof and self driving features.

b. Bring in the full-fat self driving feature (for which the hardware already exists), auto-dimming IRVM, front parking assist etc to the Exclusive model. Toss in ventilated seats to be atleast on par with Nexon.

c. Slash pricing of both Excite and Exclusive by 2 -3 L.

d. Definitely bring in the long range model, and price it where the Exclusive currently stands.

e. Smart pricing such as charging separately for the fast charger for only those who need it.

Without these, MG will find it really hard to push ZS EV against a competent Nexon EV Max.

Last edited by qaqa : 17th May 2022 at 18:16.
qaqa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 18:21   #37
BHPian

Great going Tata motors !!

I think the success of Nexon EV is more to do with its looks, especially the front, where it looks more or less like a traditional car than plane jane EV looks.

I use a Verna P AT and get a mileage of 9-10 kmpl. I pay 14k EMI for the car and 15k petrol every month. I think Nexon EV max makes a perfect sense for me considering 1 Rupee/km running costs. But the EV scooters burning frequently makes me think 10 times before making any move. I will wait for at least another 2 years before making the EV move.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 18:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sach_511 View Post

I have the highest regard for Team-BHP reviews and trust these reviews a lot.

However, I do notice that the official reviews on Team-BHP nowadays tend to be shorter and less in-depth than the reviews of old. Not sure if this is a stylistic choice to cater to the preferences of the changing user-base.

I for one do miss the details which used to get picked up and reported. For example, the review does not go into how exactly the much larger battery pack was accommodated - did the floor height increase, or did the GC reduce? Is the new motor any more noisy when compared to the original (ZS EV's new motor apparently is much quieter?). What was the WH / KM for sedate and aggressive driving..etc etc.

If the test drive was part of a TaMo media drive event, I suppose there would also have been opportunity to discuss with the TaMo team. It would be nice if the reviews could also have a section capturing inputs that were obtained from the manufacturer Eg: whether a GNCAP rating for the EVs is in the works, how Tata intends to meet the 6-airbag rule etc.
qaqa is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 19:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post

I for one do miss the details which used to get picked up and reported. For example, the review does not go into how exactly the much larger battery pack was accommodated - did the floor height increase, or did the GC reduce? Is the new motor any more noisy when compared to the original (ZS EV's new motor apparently is much quieter?). What was the WH / KM for sedate and aggressive driving..etc etc.
This video has some good info on GC, Floor Height etc with the bigger battery pack.

On a side note - there are no front cup holders now.

Sandegov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 20:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
The extension of usable range to 300 kms removes some range anxiety, though it’s not ideal yet(400 kms is a good number)
Having owned an e2o (with a modest range of 80-90 km) and now owning a regular Nexon EV (with a real-world range of 200-220 km), let me tell you that range anxiety is as overhyped as DPF issues, if not more With a tad more planning, one can use his/her EV in as stress-free a manner as an ICE car, when it comes to city use. Of course, highway usage is a different ballgame altogether, as our charging infrastructure is still ramping up, albeit quite rapidly. The real-world range offered by Nexon EV Max should be more than enough for city use as well as short highway trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
A real world 300km range doesn't seem probable unless someone is really driving for range
A good rule of thumb for the real-world range of EVs is ~70% of ARAI certified figure, anything beyond that is being unrealistic/optimistic. The ARAI certified range for regular Nexon EV is 312 km and I have been consistently getting 210-220 km with regular usage - a/c on most of the time, infotainment on all the time, headlamps/wipers being used as needed, 2-3 people on board, etc. Of course, one's driving style plays a major role here and as the review says, EVs are similar to turbo-petrol engines in being less forgiving on spirited drivers. I have seen folks extract up to 250-260 km on the Nexon EV but more than driving, it becomes a driving test wherein you are constantly monitoring the MID for your wh/km, driving pattern, thereby completely losing the fun aspect of driving an EV. Given this, 300 km is very easily doable on the Max - that said, only real-world usage from owners can corroborate this.

Quote:
is the extra 50K for the external charger and the internal components are same for both.
That is correct. All variants of Nexon EV Max come with the same onboard charger which is capable of working with either input.

Quote:
In which case, we can just get the lower model and procure the 7kw charger later if need be?
Yes, you can, once Tata Motors decides to sell it separately, which is not the case right now.

Quote:
Does this also mean the existing 30kwh model of Nexon ev will also support 7kw charger or is there something different on the new models internally.
No, the regular Nexon EV has a different onboard charger which is NOT capable of fast AC charging at 7.2 kW.

Quote:
What happens to the range if I get stuck in traffic for extended hours?
That is the beauty of EVs, they do not consume battery at standstill. The peripherals like AC, infotainment, etc. consume negligible battery - I have used AC and infotainment in my Nexon EV at standstill for 3 hours with 1% dip in SOC!

Quote:
If I start with 100% range from Pune at 6AM would I reach Borivali at 1230-1PM with continuous A/C for 180kms in this car?
Absolutely! In fact, you can do this in the regular Nexon EV as well, with a little restrained driving style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
But the EV scooters burning frequently makes me think 10 times before making any move. I will wait for at least another 2 years before making the EV move.
Please do not compare electric scooters to electric cars, most players in the former market using cheap Chinese component without any regards to safety and quality assurance, and getting their license suspended in the process. Electric cars are very safe and I do not recall any untoward incident being reported on these of late. I have been using EVs for 6+ years now without any issues. Please do consider getting one soon, as it fits your use case to the T.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th May 2022 at 21:13. Reason: back to back posts merged.
cool_dube is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 20:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The company has put more than 25,000 EVs on Indian roads,
Wow! That itself is at least 1.2 crore litres of fuel, 1 lakh litres of engine oil and 50k litres of transmission oil not consumed per year!

(@ 40 litres of fuel a month, 4 litres of engine oil per year and 4 litres of transmission oil every two years per ICE car).
Gansan is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 21:00   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I suspect that MG will have to rethink the pricing and feature set of the ZS EV. They will need to differentiate ZS EV sufficiently from Nexon Max to justify a price premium, and also ensure that the price premium is within reasonable limits.

My wishlist for MG is as follows -

c. Slash pricing of both Excite and Exclusive by 2 -3 L.

d. Definitely bring in the long range model, and price it where the Exclusive currently stands.
Couldn't agree more.

When you look at the prices in UK, the MG ZS 51kwh costs £27745 for SE variant (equal to our exite) and the trophy variant (equal to our exclusive variant) costs £29995, the long range 72kwh SE version costs £29995. So by that logic, I think MG should either drop the price or get the long range version and price it the same as current exclusive version.

All the tit bits like panoramic roof, 6 speakers, rain sensing wipers aren't worth the Rs 4 lakh price premium of the exclusive variant.

Last edited by aim120 : 17th May 2022 at 21:02.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 21:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Petrol / Diesel Nexon carry a 5-star GNCAP rating. Nexon EV is still unrated
Great review as always.

But, unless and until the vehicle is crash-tested and gets a poor score, I don’t get the idea of having it in the Cons section.

Regards,
Vaishak Murugesan

Last edited by Sheel : 17th May 2022 at 21:32. Reason: Please do not quote an entire post. Please quote selectively. Thanks.
vaish9925 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 21:05   #44
BHPian

A really point on and crisp review as always

TAMO has launched the Nexon EV max at the price of 18-20 lakhs (approx Ex-showroom) . Now , i wonder where will the Tata Curvv be placed . Will we be seeing the normal range Nexon EV being discontinued ?? Will the Curvv be priced above the Nexon EV Max ??

OR some much wilder speculation

1 - TAMO will kill the Nexon and replace it with the Curvv , first they will discontinue the Nexon EV and then place the Curvv EV version in place of the Nexon EV and then the ICE Nexon will also be replaced by the ICE Curvv

OR

2 - TAMO can rebrand the Curvv as the new Nexon , this looks as the most viable choice . The Nexon name sure carries trust nowdays and is TAMO,s one of the best sellers in the sub 4 meter space . I hope they utilise that name and not ditch it .

What are the thoughts of other Bhpians on this ?
Old 17th May 2022, 21:09   #45
BHPian

Test drove the Nexon EV for the first time ever today!
Must say me and my better half were speechless about the car and the tech it came packed within.
We’re contemplating on selling our I20 diesel and making that switch to an EV.
We were blown away by the manner in which the vehicle did its job silently at the same time delivering that kind of instant torque for some fun drives.
Since the dealer had only the standard Nexon EV and not the EV max, we’re now in two minds whether to go for it or to take the TD of the Max and then take a call.
We were really awestruck with our TD experience today being first timers for EV and must say that we’re rather convinced that the time to make that switch from ICE has come.
Since the EV (if we get one) won’t be our primary car, we need to decide on signing the dotted line .
Is it going to be the EV or the EV max?
The dealer promised a waiting period of atleast 3 months for both.
PS: The EV will be primarily used for city commutes and school pickups plus we have a private parking facility with provisions to install a charger.
Any sort of expert opinions welcome

Last edited by pradheepsr : 17th May 2022 at 21:12.
pradheepsr is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks