Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2022, 09:54   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Great review Aditya, while I don't think the Nexon EV Max is going to drastically reduce sales of the other electric cars I can see a good number of Kona, ZS EV and regular Nexon EV shifting their booking to the Nexon EV Max.

Tata seems to have officially taken the crown of being the biggest EV player with most other Electric Cars being the ultra luxury ones (Jaguar I-Pace, Audi E-Tron) or performance cars (Audi E-Tron GT/Porsche Taycan), only exception being the Mini Cooper SE but I don't think Mini has even sold 10 units of that car in India.

And the few people that do buy Mini Cooper's in India are not looking for an EV and are probably not environmentalists.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 10:09   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Any sort of expert opinions welcome
The Max is the way to go. The extra battery capacity means you can stay off the socket for longer. For a vehicle with this battery capacity & range, I doubt if you'll need to top up charge more than once in two weeks.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 10:13   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Ok- but didn't Tata claim 0-80 in 58min at 50kW charger? Is that just a statistical projection, or result with a real life 50kW charging time, with differential charging speeds at different SoCs as you're indicating?
The quoted 0 to 80% charge time is using a 50kwh charger. It doesn't say that it does 50kw peak. But looking at the graph it seems it might do a 50kw.

The quoted time of 58 minutes is not a projection. It will be approximate true time in ideal temperature conditions. Too cold or too hot a weather will increase the charge times.

The ZS EV 0 to 80% claimed charge time on 50kw charger is 50 minutes. So, 58 minutes isn't too bad.

Last edited by flanker : 18th May 2022 at 10:14. Reason: Typos
flanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 10:18   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Nexon EV XZ+ is 16.24L and Nexon EV Max XZ+ is 17.74L, that's 1.5L difference.
In Pune the XZ+ costs 15.64 L on road after subsidy including all taxes whereas I have received a quote for 19.94 L on road. So the difference is 4 L plus in Pune.
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 10:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
...The car comes with a fortified cabin, dual airbags, ABS + EBD + corner stability control, ESP with i-VBAC (intelligent – Vacuum-less Boost & Active Control),....
How was the brake pedal feel in the EV Max ? Vacuum free braking is kind of a big thing in this segment as the system is usually a de-coupled system where the pedal feel is created artificially to give the driver proper feedback. These systems also allow regeneration when pressing the brakes, blending between regeneration braking and friction braking seamlessly, based on the situation.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 11:20   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolicious View Post
To my dismay, they reduced the ground clearance and increased the height of the floor pan, thereby stripping you of any under-thigh support. I would have much rather sacrificed on some boot space for a comfortable ride.
The ground clearance at 205mm is still very good and I feel scraping the under-belly should be less of a concern. I drive an XUV300 that has a GC of 180mm and I'm yet to scrape the bottom despite taking it through some gnarly roads.

Quote:
That extra bit of weight on the suspension, would force you to be extra cautious around slightly larger speed-breakers or God-forbid you come across a pothole.
They have made the suspension stiffer which is obvious. But the fact that Nexon already had a very sorted suspension means the departure towards a stiffer suspension should not be worrying. Even in the review videos, the talk is more on the lines of how "it is stiffer but does not impede on ride comfort".

But yes, be prepared for some rough potholes creating a jarring experience.

Quote:
Nexon EX Max is worth the hype or is the older product i.e., the OG Nexon EV the better option with the lower price point, significantly lower waiting period and the better rear leg room + under thigh support? Does the extra 2L for the extra 50-70 kms make all the difference?
I think the hype is around the fact that they managed to include a lot of the asks that were there from the customers - especially around creature comforts. In my opinion, the biggest value add of EV Max is the multi-mode regen with the ability to turn it off if needed!

All things considered, personally, I feel the 2L premium is worth it over the regular EV.

Your point on poorer rear seat comfort is valid but it's also highly subjective. I'd say test drive the car to see if it really is a major miss for you personally depending on your usage. Who would sit on the back seat? How often would they sit on the back seat? A couple of inches here and there on paper is nothing is it means nothing to you. However, things like ventilated seats, multi-mode regen, cruise control etc. are features you would find useful in a long-term ownership.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 18th May 2022 at 11:22.
krishnakumar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 11:38   #67
BHPian

Quote:

Ground Clearance

To bear the additional weight, Tata has made changes to the suspension as well. As a result, the Nexon EV Max has an unladen ground clearance of 190 mm.

.. IP67 .. waterproof/dustproof
What would be the practical capabilities of these in water wading conditions. I'm not talking of off-roading adventure, but given the chaotic climate these days, and excellent upkeep of road infrastructure, water inundation is quite common.

Water can run upto running board level of swift dzine in most places,
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_20220515_070333089.jpg

and may reach the levels of Brezza very commonly in my locality.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_20220515_071540666.jpg

I've an electric scooter (cheaper / no license type ROMAI brand) which can happily run through all these and still do not break down. I'm wondering how better is electric cars on this aspect.Keeping the range anxiety etc aside, this may be one good reason to have an electric car if it's able to negotiate water logging.
roby.thomas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 12:52   #68

Have a current booking for Nexon EV (dark ed), was thinking of shifting it to EV Max but Tamo is claiming initial subsidized ev booking slots have been used up and currently there is no State/Centre subsidy in MH for new bookings. My older booking has 1.5 lacs subsidy which will be removed if i change my booking to EV Max or change the showroom as well !! Can someone with current knowledge of the matter, confirm the same. Below is the snapshot of rates without subsidy for new bookings.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-screenshot-20220518-125209.jpg  

sunny_dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 13:15   #69
BHPian

I had gone to test drive Harrier automatic at Hubli, the manager offered the Nexon EV till the Harrier was getting cleaned. I was floored by the Nexon instant torque and got clarified all the doubts about the range, charging on road, 15A charging at homee, the economics, the warranty of 8 years.
After this test drive the 2.0l Harrier automatic drive was lame. The diesel was no match for EV. This is the way to go. The switch to to Electric is now. Remove all your doubts.
bullock-Car is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 13:41   #70
BHPian

BHPians.

There are potential Test case for a Nexon EV users.

Like people used to get increased mileage with Air-condition switched off.

1. During a drive in pleasant weather when A/C or heater is switched off - How much range can be extended?

2. During Day time drive vs Night time drive ( means with lights On) difference in mileage.

3. Wireless charger On / Off

These might look silly for few, but the data will help the power usage in those devices and improve 5 Star rated ACs and Lights in future EVs.
TeddyBear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 13:55   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_dogra View Post
currently there is no State/Centre subsidy in MH for new bookings.
I read somewhere on the Maharashtra transport website that subsidy was till March31, 2022 and that too for EVs with ~30kwh battery capacity. Max would definitely not have that subsidy.
Old 18th May 2022, 14:15   #72
BHPian

Dear Aditya and Blackwasp,

I always love your posts.

As usual this review is fantastic! If I were in the market for this type of product, then I would be on the way to get a test ride!

Just a point on the side, I noticed the time in the photographs. Did you really take the photos at midnight? Or is the clock setting wrong?

Quote:

Tata Nexon EV Max Interior Images

Anyway, I am happy that I am not the only guy who does these kind of things!

I am really looking forward to your next posts/reviews.

Girish Mahajan

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th June 2022 at 16:52. Reason: Trimming quoted post, for easy readability
Old 18th May 2022, 14:20   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Guys, don't kill me for a noob question. What happens to the range if I get stuck in traffic for extended hours? On last 3 occasions, my Pune to Mumbai runs via expressway each way took 6+ hours for approximately 180km distance. Many patches of it were spent crawling at 4-5 kmph in a knee breaking marathon traffic.

If I start with 100% range from Pune at 6AM would I reach Borivali at 1230-1PM with continuous A/C for 180kms in this car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
About using AC, there are YouTubers abroad who have camped in their ZS EV overnight with AC running, it usually drains 10% to 15%. You can assume you will drain 1% of the battery every hour. In the case of Nexon, even if you assume double the drain, it's still 2% per hour which is still very good.
I have been using my Nexon EV for the past 2 years and on an average, it uses 3-4% battery per hour for AC. At an ambient temperature of 36 Degree Celsius under direct sunlight, I have seen the battery drop by 5% in an hour,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I have used AC and infotainment in my Nexon EV at standstill for 3 hours with 1% dip in SOC!
This figure is unbelievable and makes me wonder if my car AC has some issue or the initial batches of EVs came with a different AC system. What was the ambient temperature?
Holyghost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 15:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolicious View Post
I am honestly on the fence as to whether the Nexon EX Max is worth the hype or is the older product i.e., the OG Nexon EV the better option with the lower price point
First and foremost, you should ask yourself if you are convinced to go the EV route. If yes, then your decision between Nexon EV vs. Nexon EV Max should be primarily based on your use case, viz. daily running. Do you really need a real-world range of 300-310 km? Another aspect at play could be the additional features that one gets with Max, which (depending on individual preference) could tilt the decision in favor of Max irrespective of range requirements. Strictly my opinion - if use case is city runs, regular Nexon EV is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
The EV will be primarily used for city commutes and school pickups plus we have a private parking facility with provisions to install a charger.
Given your use case, the regular Nexon EV should be good enough. However, as stated in my response above, take a look at the additional features on offer with Max, and take a call. Purely from a range perspective, the regular Nexon should do for your requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
How was the brake pedal feel in the EV Max?
It does have a little bit of "artificial" feel to it especially when you press it at standstill and low speeds, but one gets used to it really quick. I am talking about my regular Nexon EV with discs at front only. I have found the braking to be more than sufficient given the excellent regen it comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
In my opinion, the biggest value add of EV Max is the multi-mode regen with the ability to turn it off if needed
For folks getting into the EV realm for the first time, it could be an overkill in my honest opinion. I find the default regen behavior/setting of my Nexon EV quite satisfactory and personally, would like to keep things simple, avoiding one potential point of failure in an already electronically complex car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
What would be the practical capabilities of these in water wading conditions
Nexon EV comes with an official figure of 300 mm when it comes to water-wading capacity which, by the way, is same as that of the Nexon petrol/diesel. Additionally, the Nexon EV's motor and battery pack are IP67 certified, which implies that these are (a) Totally protected against dust and (b) Protected against the effects of temporary immersion between 15cm and 1m. Duration of test 30 minutes (source - here.)

Also, Tata Motors claims to have conducted thorough testing on water wading capabilities of the Nexon EV, as seen in the video below:

Having said all this, I'd prefer my Thar over the Nexon EV for water-logged roads any day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
There are potential Test case for a Nexon EV users
Of these, a/c is the only aspect that has any any noticeable impact on range. Based on my experience so far, even with a/c switched off for the most part, you may at best gain an additional 6-8% range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
This figure is unbelievable and makes me wonder if my car AC has some issue or the initial batches of EVs came with a different AC system. What was the ambient temperature?
Good point. Forgot to mention that this was in a basement parking (no direct sun) and on a nice cool day in Bangalore (with ambient temperature being around 24-25 deg. C). If I do the same under direct sun on a scorching day, I'd probably get a drop of 1% per 60-90 min, which in itself is quite good.
cool_dube is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 17:00   #75
Team-BHP Support

Great review. Seeing rains around, I am also curious on how these cars fare in rain and floods. More importantly how safe they are in such conditions. I hope Tata has already looked into those aspects.

A simple thing like, how do you start charging again and how sure are we that wet cases are not seeping into electrical networks of the car.

It may sound like a 101 question on this topic, but would be great to get some perspective on this aspect.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks