Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2022, 14:54   #121
BHPian

Re: Citroen C3 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver52001 View Post
They could have given a tachometer at the least. What is this? Alto 800 LXI?
C3 does provide a Gear Shift Indicator. What do you really need a Tachometer for? How is it going to change your driving experience significantly?
venus1975 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 16:34   #122
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus1975 View Post
C3 does provide a Gear Shift Indicator. What do you really need a Tachometer for? How is it going to change your driving experience significantly?
I believe it's helpful in spirited driving and overtakes, one needs to match revs while downshifting to get the torque kick in at the right time,

that's the only use case I can think of.
KI07 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 16:49   #123
BHPian

Looks like a great package. They should've offered adjustable head restraints in both the rows atleast.
Old 9th July 2022, 17:03   #124
BHPian

Quote:
For me the tachometer is to confirm expected behavior of the car in the normal day to day use. For example, i would expect a certain consistent stable idling rpm, or an expected rpm at a given speed. If the behaviour changes all of a sudden, it could be an indication of some problems, that can be discussed with SA.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th July 2022 at 05:03. Reason: Typo
ajayc123 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 13:27   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We need the tach for matching gear ratios, check the cold start point of idling and see by when it settles down to normal revs. Also, unusual RPM should be an indication of adulterated fuel. I check my tach pretty regularly.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 13:31   #126
Senior - BHPian

While I think the packaging could be good, I fear the car may loose out to the current trend of buyers who are mostly interested in gizmos and fancy options on the MID/infotainment screens. I hope C3 sets a benchmark and prove that good engineering and mechanics is more important that bling.
Old 11th July 2022, 15:02   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
We need the tach for matching gear ratios, check the cold start point of idling and see by when it settles down to normal revs. Also, unusual RPM should be an indication of adulterated fuel. I check my tach pretty regularly.
Thank you! As for matching gear ratios, the Gear Shift Indicator should still nudge you to upshift or downshift. The other use case, which was also pointed out by another BHP-ian, is interesting to me. You are basically using it as a troubleshooting tool. IMO, the engine noise should tell you when the RPM is abnormal for a gear. Tachometer can tell you how abnormal it is though.

Anyway, I am not against having a Tachometer. My point is that it is not such an important feature to have in an entry level car like C3 and the target users can live without one.
venus1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 16:17   #128

A bit disappointed (already) with Citroen CC service

I booked a TD in their website for the newly launched C3 model.
The CC promptly gave me a call (call center in delhi or gurgaon most probably) and after confirming my interest for a TD promptly declares that the demo car for TD will be there at your door step. Mind you I am based out of Bangalore.

Next day morning, service rep (showroom) calls up and says you need to come down to showroom for the TD. With only one showroom in entire Bangalore, potential customers are expected to travel a considerable amount of time (considering the traffic scenario, 45 mins in my case) to get the opportunity to test drive the latest launch from an unknown brand with hardly any footprint in India.
As if, I get to see the taj mahal in their showroom

But seriously, why communicate contradictory messages (promises) if you are not able to deliver? that too, when you want to establish your brand in India.
topaz2011 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 09:05   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz2011 View Post
With only one showroom in entire Bangalore, potential customers are expected to travel a considerable amount of time (considering the traffic scenario, 45 mins in my case) to get the opportunity to test drive the latest launch from an unknown brand with hardly any footprint in India.
As if, I get to see the taj mahal in their showroom
I understand the miscommunication on the doorstep availability of TD and it should have been avoided. However, your expectation that they should make the TD car available at your doorstep because they are a new brand and you live in a city like Bangalore is a bit too much, in my humble opinion!
venus1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 12:25   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpprabhu View Post
As a brand it looks more promising and commited towards Indian market. Their showroom was good and the staffs was very professional and well equipped.
Having a good SA doesn't make the company look more 'serious' about it's business, their products and approach does.

Quote:
I personally like the approach what Citroen has taken to focus more on mechanicals rather than features. Features can be added anytime in the product lifecycle and as per their statement the features are included/omitted based on the user survey.
Features can be added based on user survey? Are they selling cars or a phone app? I think it's been said countless number of times that factory fitted equipment is miles ahead than what you can get done with aftermarket parts.

Quote:
To some extend I feel it to be correct, let me evaluate some features based on my usage.

1. Electrically adjustable ORVM: It is convenient but how many times do I use it, In my current vehicle I use it once in 3 months or 6 months just to make sure the motor is not jammed. Sometimes it is excatly in the same position when the vehicle comes back from a service also. So it is rarely used.
2. Manual IRVM: To my knowledge I have never switched it to night mode and I was able to manage it with its original position only.
3. Rear Wiper/Washer: This is something I often use and in city like Bangalore it is a must as the rains are unexpected. May be rarely used in other places but again this is a standard as other manufacturers also provides it only at top ends.
4. Alloy wheels: Not a great deal, it can be added anytime later.
5. Adjustable headrests: Again a convenient feature, may be mostly used in rear seats and I dont see major usage in the front seats.
Here is my take:

1. Electrically adjustable ORVM: It is convenient and very useful to keep a watch on the curbs when parking on a tight street and with hopes of not scraping your alloy wheels.

2. Manual IRVM: India is a land of high beam and not having this is just
good luck wearing sunglasses and driving while this shiny new suv with white LEDs blinds you.

3. Rear Wiper/Washer: if you have ever driven a hatch, you'd know why you need this.

4. Alloy wheels: Not a great deal but hey, if i am spending 7+ lakhs on a KWID, might as well look a bit better.

5. Adjustable headrests: makes sense if you have a different people of different sizes driving.

but hey, everyone for themselves, i find C3 to be just way too blank for a car at that price and couple that with limited service reach, unknown brand image (launching C5 as a premium car didn't help them like it did to Kia)
i doubt it'll make much move.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th July 2023 at 05:54. Reason: Toned down
omranga98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 12:56   #131
BHPian

Quote:
So I am fine in compromising these features for a better engine and ride quality.
Makes perfect sense and this was the exact same reason I skipped Freestyle Petrol mid variant for the beautifully tuned TDCi in the base variant avatar

What I got :

- Central locking
- Dual airbags
- Rear parking sensors
- Manual Day / Night IRVM
- Power windows at the front
- The jewel in the crown - 1.5 TDCi

For my use case this made perfect sense in the world of over priced hatchbacks
Sk8r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:28   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omranga98 View Post

1. Electrically adjustable ORVM: It is convenient and very useful to keep a watch on the curbs when parking on a tight street and with hopes of not scraping your alloy wheels.

2. Manual IRVM: India is a land of high beam and not having this is just
good luck wearing sunglasses and driving while this shiny new suv with white LEDs blinds you.

3. Rear Wiper/Washer: if you have ever driven a hatch, you'd know why you need this.

4. Alloy wheels: Not a great deal but hey, if i am spending 7+ lakhs on a KWID, might as well look a bit better.

5. Adjustable headrests: makes sense if you have a different people of different sizes driving.
Agree with your views, everyone has different preferences. As per my driving conditions and preferences I am ready to compromise on these features. Even base variants of many best selling cars are missing these features so that it does not mean they are bad cars, only the price and the VFM decides.
skpprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:27   #133

Quote:
I understand the miscommunication on the doorstep availability of TD and it should have been avoided. However, your expectation that they should make the TD car available at your doorstep because they are a new brand and you live in a city like Bangalore is a bit too much, in my humble opinion!
Well everyone's perspective is different. With cut throat competition in this segment, Citroen should strive for customer delight and meet these expectations. This would only help them to portray themselves as customer centric while they are building their brand image (rather than making contradictory statements). With only one showroom, this is imperative.

But to each his own, so am quite ok with your thought process !
topaz2011 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 03:53   #134
BHPian

Quote:
1. Electrically adjustable ORVM: It is convenient but how many times do I use it, In my current vehicle I use it once in 3 months or 6 months just to make sure the motor is not jammed. Sometimes it is excatly in the same position when the vehicle comes back from a service also. So it is rarely used.
In 2022, this is a very basic feature. It is also a safety feature as it helps you see a blind spot. I always check every time before starting in case an animal or good forbid, a small child is playing near the car, or something. Even when taking a tight turn it is useful to see if you're running over a kerb or concrete slab or something. Yes you could get outside and check or have someone check it for you, but not right at any price point above an Alto in this age. That said, there are cars that skip this feature in base variants. Scorpio N Z2 for example.
Quote:
2. Manual IRVM: To my knowledge I have never switched it to night mode and I was able to manage it with its original position only.
Trust me, you will manage much better at night with the night mode turned on, especially if the car behind you had high beams on or had led/hid lighting.. Again, this is such a common and cheap feature to implement. Shouldn't have been missed as it is a safety issue. Glare impedes you and fatigues you badly at night time.

Quote:
3. Rear Wiper/Washer: This is something I often use and in city like Bangalore it is a must as the rains are unexpected. May be rarely used in other places but again this is a standard as other manufacturers also provides it only at top ends.
Agreed. But it's a very useful feature that many wouldn't mind paying for. And a defogger is a big improvement during rains.

Quote:
4. Alloy wheels: Not a great deal, it can be added anytime later.
Sure, but they could've done stylised steel wheels like in the Kwid, Kiger etc.
Quote:
5. Adjustable headrests: Again a convenient feature, may be mostly used in rear seats and I dont see major usage in the front seats.
They're called head restraints as they prevent whiplash injury to your neck. In many countries they are a safety requirement.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 10:08   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's the other way around. A gear shift indicator is basically useless, why would you need it when you can see the tacho and hear / feel the engine going to either end of the rev range? Add some inclines/declines into the mix and the pre-programmed shift points become useless. It's like saying why would you need a speedometer, the car will just beep when you cross the legal limit on any road via gps.

On the other hand, a tachometer provides you the opportunity to actually know exactly what rpm you are currently at and downshift/upshift/or leave it in gear accordingly. Especially in small engined petrol cars which barely make any noise anyway until you rev it up high.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks