Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2022, 01:38   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
Well this morning was like a dream coming true. My 4Xplor scorpio N delivered on day 1.
1. The alignment of the vehicle is slightly out. The car is moving left, ...

2. The steering feels light and great but the road can be sensed from the steering wheel. Every bump every uneven surface every texture comes through the steering wheel, though it’s not a deal breaker but a bit weird for me. Would like if experts can share their opinion on this.
Many congratulations on getting what might be the first Scorpio N on the forum Wishing you many happy miles with it.

1. Though ideally such issues should be taken care of before delivery, I think too much is made of a slight left pull of a vehicle which can be set via a wheel alignment (often seen on Harrier+Safari threads). It is easy for the alignment to go off - at times, even one hard strike to the tyres (especially front) - such as hitting a pothole at speed - can get the alignment off. I hope it will be nothing more than an hour or two to get the alignment right. Same for the headlight adjustment. Good tyre shops often do a better job of alignment, but on a new vehicle better to try to get it sorted at the A.S.S.

2. What you describe quite matches what one might expect of a good communicative hydraulic steering; only the detuned Z2 and Z4 models have that on the Scorpio N, IIRC. This could also be due to some part of the steering system being loose, so better to get it checked.

From what I recollect of my drive, I could feel the finer undulations of the road via the chassis+suspension (seat, feet/floor) and not really on the steering.

Further thoughts:
Though unlikely and only a dream: What if Mahindra has an electro-hydraulic steering in this one?!!
This could give it the character of being communicative as described, yet be soft due to the electronic part. This is like getting the best of both worlds. (In such steerings there is a hydraulic pump, which whose pressure is additonally modified via electronic means).

From what I drove and expect, it almost certainly would not be an electro-hydraulic system, but that too could be deceptive based on the specific steering design and mapping of the electronic part with it's influence being up to a higher speed (something which just might be different between TD vehicles and production cars).

To get over this fantasy, one needs to check if there is a place to pour Hydraulic Steering Oil.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 06:56   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
1. The alignment of the vehicle is slightly out. The car is moving left
2. The steering feels light and great but the road can be sensed from the steering wheel. Every bump every uneven surface every texture comes through the steering wheel
3. The major issue i faced during my drive back home from dinner. The headlights are completely out of focus. The low beam is fine but the highbeam is, as of now, completely useless. It is focused on the road at the level of fog lamps.

Attachment 2362154
Congratulations on getting your vehicle on the first day!

I have a feeling your points 1 & 2 might be related. I have observed similar behaviour on the feather-light EPAS of my XUV300.
Once wheel alignment is off, I can feel every bump, every undulation or spike on the road surface, to the extent that the steering feels jiggly.
Getting the wheel alignment right fixes these in an instant.
The same is true if the tyre pressure difference in the front 2 wheels increases significantly, ~5psi
You can check if both your front tyres are at the correct pressure and go for a wheel alignment.

3. Check the hotspot of both the beams against a wall. The high beam hotspot should be right above that of the low beam.
It is difficult to assess the hotspot of Reflector-LED high beams on city roads as there is excessive scattering of light in such setups and you would only be able to see the light being reflected off the foreground.
This is one of the major grouse with Reflector-LED setups and very few vehicles get it right.

My recommendation would be to shoot an email to Mahindra right away. Any issues observed in the first week must definitely be documented, more so if it is right after delivery.

Given you're one of the old timer Mahindra owners, you know these issues aren't something that Mahindra can't fix.
Happy motoring and eagerly looking forward to your ownership review and the finer details
anantpoddar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 09:49   #1608
BHPian

Quote:

2. The steering feels light and great but the road can be sensed from the steering wheel. Every bump every uneven surface every texture comes through the steering wheel, though it’s not a deal breaker but a bit weird for me. Would like if experts can share their opinion on this.
On my TD vehicle, I felt the same thing on a patch of rumble strips. It felt odd but I didn't know what the problem was and now I know.
The steering vibrated a lot on those strips and I thought there was some problem with the suspension.
Btw, congrats on your car.

Last edited by shikh_oberoi : 27th September 2022 at 09:53.
shikh_oberoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 09:50   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
Congratulations on getting your vehicle on the first day!

3. Check the hotspot of both the beams against a wall. The high beam hotspot should be right above that of the low beam.
It is difficult to assess the hotspot of Reflector-LED high beams on city roads as there is excessive scattering of light in such setups and you would only be able to see the light being reflected off the foreground.
This is one of the major grouse with Reflector-LED setups and very few vehicles get it right.

Did exactly this when i came home but forgot to click pictures of the same. The high beam throw is way below the low beam. As i mentioned it’s almost like turning in fog lamps rather than high beam. I have called the advisor and I’m planning to go to the service station today.
Old 27th September 2022, 12:04   #1610

I took delivery yesterday at 0700 AM in Chandigarh, great experience with Mahindra overall sales team. Vehicle had less than 15 Km's at time of delivery.

Issues:

Headlight issue:
Yes I have the same issue i.e. Focussing @ high beam.
The right one looks appropriately where intended, however the left one feels like it has fallen down and focuses a streak much lower than intended. Its not crisp evenly spread light.
Not sure how they will sort it out. This left one also tends to bend to the left.

Suspension/ steering noise/ uncomfortable undulated feeling:
So yes, I have an issue here too.
So over big bumps/ potholes etc vehicle manages those just fine and suspension does its job well.
However say you are driving on a normal fair condition road with maybe very minor undulations that should not be felt into the vehicle or affect the vehicle, as suspension is not really much at play there, you can fell very light judders, something like say the Shocker mounting wasn't exactly tight or there is very little play in the mounting or is just slightly loose. Its like a very light more or less constant Katak Katak feeling in the vehicle from the front. You know the feeling when you done 250K Km's on a SUV and the Shocker mounting is just beginning to wear out, well you can feel that same thing here. The thing is when the biggie pothole is encountered, suspension works just fine.

Being a Toyota Fortuner & Isuzu Vcross customer have never come across such nonsense. I think Mahindra have issues with quality control, good reliable tech/test/ sign off staff & attention to detail is missing, and even when something is noticed they let it pass.. They are not yet ready to sell 28 Lacs On-Road product.

Quote:
Did exactly this when i came home but forgot to click pictures of the same. The high beam throw is way below the low beam. As i mentioned it’s almost like turning in fog lamps rather than high beam. I have called the advisor and I’m planning to go to the service station today.
Hi Kushgandhi, congrats!!

Please do let us know the adjustments they make and where on the headlight or what troubleshooting they carry out, please take pics of all adjustments they do and where they do that, will help many a here, appears this headlight and suspension Katak Katak noise is a common chronic Scorpio N issue.

Hi Admin, please could you initiate a Scorpio N niggles thread.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th September 2022 at 16:59. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
TEJSINGH is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 12:26   #1611
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats
That is a dream spec one. Black, top end variant, manual with 4x4.

Quote:
I felt the same in my TD. It was a diesel automatic 4x4. The steering would give the slightest wobble in small rumble strips and undulations. Not a strong kickback like some hydraulic steerings, but felt like something loose at the front end. Ofcourse, it shouldn't given it is an electric power steering. The feeling was so minute that others who drove on the TD didn't feel it.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 13:11   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEJSINGH View Post

Please do let us know the adjustments they make and where on the headlight or what troubleshooting they carry out
So went to the service centre first thing in the morning. A brief test drive and the guy immediately noticed the off alignment. That was rectified.

Then the headlight assembly was checked for focus. It was way off from the level it should be at. The first picture is shows the low beam the second picture shows the high beam. I have highlighted where exactly the focus of the lamp is.
It’s way below the low beam
And the left light is lower than the right one plus it’s also not aligned well horizontally.

The solution for this was really easy and quick.
There are a couple of screws on the back of the headlight assembly.
One for height adjust of the beam. And one for horizontally adjusting the beam. The car was parked in front of the light chart, the lights were adjusted and the issue was rectified. So it’s an easy fix but shocked to see how the company didn’t do it before deliver The vehicle.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-852bb105e6ed4fbda5b9b4c178daaf88.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2132eaaeae2e48829e2024daeab4252e.jpeg

For those interested. Here is a shot of the 4Xplor version from underneath. The chassis is protecting the transfer case and transmission well. A good sump guard with oil drain cut outs.
One thing Is it’s a bit flimsy. Will report any issues I face.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-462bc8846eac43798174c9c00f262fb9.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-7fec325b475a40f29a6758aca20a4c3b.jpeg
kushgandhi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 13:18   #1613
BANNED

Quote:

For those interested. Here is a shot of the 4Xplor version from underneath.

Good to see the underbody pics and good to know there is adequate protection.

What underbody coating/rust protection is recommended? 3M? https://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/...erbody-coating

Are there underbody parts that should not get any coating/rust protection because they will fail if they are painted/coated?
LearnerForLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 13:30   #1614

Quote:
So went to the service centre first thing in the morning. A brief test drive and the guy immediately noticed the off alignment. That was rectified.

Then the headlight assembly was checked for focus. It was way off from the level it should be at. The first picture is shows the low beam the second picture shows the high beam. I have highlighted where exactly the focus of the lamp is.
It’s way below the low beam
And the left light is lower than the right one plus it’s also not aligned well horizontally.
Thank you Kushgandhi,
Please could you send pictures of the adjustment screws for the headlight, vertical and side to side please? Many thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 27th September 2022 at 17:00. Reason: Please quote *ONLY* the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Old 27th September 2022, 14:55   #1615
BHPian

Congratulations to all new owners.

Anyone got the RC book or any other document that gives the kerb/ dry weight of the vehicle?
Old 27th September 2022, 16:47   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
Did you discuss the second problem - steering wheel giving feedback from suspension as if there is something wrong - My Z8L 4WD AT also has it and I am wondering whether this is a feature or a bug?
Old 27th September 2022, 16:52   #1617
BHPian

Dear owners of Scorpio N, please throw some lights on the FE readings and how are your experience with the Automatic transmission. I guess some of you have already driven it for 100+ km by this time.

Kindly share your experiences in city traffics and if any highway stretches were covered.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 16:59   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Did you discuss the second problem - steering wheel giving feedback from suspension as if there is something wrong - My Z8L 4WD AT also has it and I am wondering whether this is a feature or a bug?
The Service manager assured me, after a drive, its fine and its the chassis that vibrates as in the case of BOF vehicles And some vibrations may creep in from the steering mounted on the cabin floor. Not a very satisfactory answer but he offered me to drive any other vehicle and see its the same.

He then said any problem in the steering system is covered under warranty so I can relax and not worry about this. So I guess it's neither a feature or a bug but just how things are in the Scorpio N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Dear owners of Scorpio N, please throw some lights on the FE readings and how are your experience with the Automatic transmission. I guess some of you have already driven it for 100+ km by this time.
I have Driven it 145 KMs in a day. It was purely city drive as I was out with family then friends did a proper Dilli Darshan with the car. The 4wd MT is giving me 13.2 Kmpl on the cluster. After a proper run in I am expecting 12-13 in the city and 15 on the highways with normal driving.

One more thing the Owners manual of the scorpio N is now live on the Withyouhumesha website.

https://storagewyh.blob.core.windows...rs-Manual.html

Last edited by kushgandhi : 27th September 2022 at 17:08. Reason: Adding quote
kushgandhi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 18:16   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
The Service manager assured me, after a drive, its fine and its the chassis that vibrates as in the case of BOF vehicles And some vibrations may creep in from the steering mounted on the cabin floor. Not a very satisfactory answer but he offered me to drive any other vehicle and see its the same.
Congratulations on the new vehicle! How do you find the brakes in city driving conditions? Also, please let us know about the suspension and ride quality in city.
Old 27th September 2022, 20:53   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A good sump guard with oil drain cut outs.
One thing Is it’s a bit flimsy. Will report any issues I face.
I remember reaching underneath the front end and touching the plastic guard, disappointed that it was flimsy. But then again, thought I must have touched the skid plate thingy and the real sump guard must be of good plastic.

Though the stock ScorpioN underbody feels far better thought out than the stock Thar underbody IMHO.

Most Viewed