Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2022, 17:10   #1861

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

I took delivery of my Scorpio-N Z8L Automatic deep forest on 7th October. Having driven it for about 700kms now, mostly within city my experience has been excellent.

Purchase Experience: Had done PDI at Koncept Mahindra, Gurgaon a week prior to delivery and found everything to be in place. Delivery process was smooth since the Navratras rush was over & the sales executive spent good time explaining the features, documentation etc. So overall the car delivery experience was equally great.

Service center visit Experience: On the day of delivery, it was drizzling and by the time I picked the car, it was late evening. Thus, while driving back post temple visit, what prominently struck me was the mis-aligned high beam. Similar to the feedback from some buyers, both high & low beam had similar focus which mad the drive back home quite uncomfortable.

Ultimately, I visited the service center post a week of testing the car in different lighting conditions. The service manager at Koncept Mahindra (Raghav) is a true professional and does care for customer feedbacks, so without wasting much time he assigned a technician and got it resolved. Now I have a seamless night drive with the high beam focusing on the right point.

Niggles: Other than high beam focus, I haven’t faced any issues so far that I could complain of. Things like Rear seat space and unavailability of AC, rear wiper reach, front and real camera fps quality, manual IRVM were all known facts to me since I did multiple test drives before finalizing the Big Daddy.

Mileage so far is around 7 to 7.5kmpl which I believe is fine considering the Gurgaon traffic, break-in period etc. Hopefully with time, this should get a bit better, but one should not expect a drastic change since this is a Petrol Automatic beast rides on 200 Horsepower. Have a Gurgaon to Jaipur trip planned soon, so I will be able to share my highway ride experience, mileage etc. soon.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 26th October 2022 at 16:39. Reason: Minor edit
Car Enthusiast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:14   #1862
MMX
BHPian

To anyone in Mumbai keen on getting a Scorpio N Z 8 L G AT 7 Seater BS6 , DEEP FOREST COLOUR immediately please DM me as I’ve been allotted one and it’s ready in the yard but I’m not currently planning to purchase it
MMX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:47   #1863
BHPian

1. I am getting figures in the range of 12.5 in heavy city traffic and 15+ on the highways within the speed limits i.e 90 km/h.

2. A Mahindra user for the last 8 years I can vouch for the reliability of the mHawk engine. I have mentioned it earlier in the forum I think 99% of the customers wont face any mechanical issues with the engines in the its lifetime given proper car is taken by following the maintenance schedule and not ignoring the warnings that pop up. Electronics are somethings that can fail in any car, hence the extended warranty should give you that peace of mind.

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the update. My dad himself is waiting for a delivery. The variant, Z8 MT, is also an MHawk. There reason for that?
1. The petrol unit is more powerful and therefore more fuel-consuming. Now that is only an issue because I live in hills. If city dwellers from plains are getting approx. 15kmpl, the hilly regions will reach 10 I suspect. Petrol is still an option but that depends on your reply the lines below.

-I have been reading and finding out issues with bs6 diesel engines in general. My father will generally drive the SUV below 300 or 400 kms in a month. And I recently found out that diesel should be preferred only when you are going to cover a lot of kilometers. So that might cause issues to the Diesel unit in my case.

Your views on that, please.
Error402 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 13:40   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Enthusiast View Post
I took delivery of my Scorpio-N Z8L Automatic deep forest on 7th October. Having driven it for about 700kms now, mostly within city my experience has been excellent.
Congrats on the new addition to the family and wish you endless joy with it

Would be great if you could post some pictures please, I too have ordered a Deep Forest colour. Thanks
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:41   #1865
BHPian

Today, I got the chance to drive my Scorpio N (AT Z8L 4X4) for 150 km on the new expressway Samruddhi Mahamarg from Mumbai to Nagpur with a speed limit of 120 kmph.(This expressway is not yet open to the public now)

I could use the cruise control for 100 km. Kudos to the Indian manufacturer for engineering such a masterpiece. Stability and performance are next levels.

Mod Note - Do not mention any illegal speed limits.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th October 2022 at 21:53. Reason: removed high speed reference.
hrishi_dypim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 10:18   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Error402 View Post
1. The petrol unit is more powerful and therefore more fuel-consuming.

...... And I recently found out that diesel should be preferred only when you are going to cover a lot of kilometers. ...

Your views on that, please.
A diesel engine is significantly more efficient compared a petrol one(of same capacities) due to:

1)The higher energy density of diesel per unit of fuel, takes less amount of diesel to generate the same energy compared to petrol.
2) The very design of a diesel engine using just higher compression and heat for fuel ignition compared to the spark based ignition makes the diesel engine much less fuel sipping and efficient.
3) In frequent stop and go conditions, diesels can just lug the load effortlessly with its high torque and less fuel wastage with low revs.

BS6 diesel exhaust design may not be as niggle free as the robust BS4 models, but diesel is still the preferrable choice especially for large capacity engines.
Its another matter if higher fuel costs doesn't bother the user, but the high petrol consumption and frequent refills does pinch in some way and makes it less practical for long distance touring.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 27th October 2022 at 10:25.
for_cars1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 13:12   #1867
BHPian

So it's just dpf changes, that's popped up in BS6. The rest goodness remains? Man, I am not gonna change it then.
Old 27th October 2022, 19:54   #1868
BHPian

I assume there is no official niggles thread for the Scorpio N yet, so posting here.My car is just 4 days old and I'm still trying to figure things out.

1. Does anyone know the latest version of the software on their unit for a 2WD Diesel Automatic? I haven't updated the system or got Android Auto, Adrenox activated yet but when I do, would like to ensure that I get the latest version.

2. Everytime the car starts, the default mode is Zap. Is there a way to change it to Zip permanently?

3. Can the auto start stop be disabled permanently?

4. Any details of the e-sim in the car?
Old 28th October 2022, 08:03   #1869
BHPian

I don't prefer driving in night on highways but for some reasons I got to drive my Scorpio N(Z8L AT 4X4) in night with fog light and high beam on.
I had very tough time driving this SUV as the visibility of the lights were very poor.
Vehicles from opposite lane were creating more problems by distracting, but I managed that.
Only time I found lights are working and there is visibility when there were no lights from other vehicles on road and road was dark.

So my drive was like when the road was dark i was driving at speed of 70-80 and when there was no visibility I was pressing the break and driving at speed of 30-40 on the support of visibility of fog light.
There is no any problem with my SUV or it's lights, all are functioning good but impact of the lights is not good.

Other owners of Scorpio N, please confirm if you are also facing such problem with lights.

Any solution/suggestion from seniour members are highly appreciated.
hrishi_dypim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 12:29   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
SCORPIO-N 2000 KM UPDATE

- The car has low ground clearance. Now Mahindra has always been smart to reduce ground clearance on paper to avoid taxes but still the actual experience was nice. In the XUV 500 they lowered the sump guard to evade taxes and reduce cost. On paper when I read the ground clearance is 187mm I thought its again one of those tricks, but the car scraps on patches my XUV would have glided on when taking the obstacle straight on. This is a worry.
Could you some how try to test if it can pass over any obstacle of 220 mm at least? Because this is what scorpio classic can pass over. In that perspective, it would give a comparison between the two. More people are exposed to the classic version than the N version, so this would set an important perspective to people.
And, of course, thanks for the detailed update.

Last edited by Zappo : 28th October 2022 at 16:13. Reason: Please quote only the relevant portion instead of the whole post.
Old 29th October 2022, 11:06   #1871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster666 View Post
Reporting a slightly distressing incident with my new Z8L D AT 4x4.

I had got a bug deflector installed on the day of delivery itself. It was an original Mahindra accessory, installed by the showroom staff
I had a similar incident with my Thar where I had the black front grill cladding part installed. It added to the aesthetic quite nicely, however it was also attached with only double sided tape. The part flew off once I crossed 100 kph on the freeway. Luckily I managed to retrieve it and the dealership has now re-attached it. They claim to have used better tape this time and that it won't come off again. I take that with a big pinch of salt, as it is fundamentally not a good way to mount and attach these parts. The amount of pressure caused due to air resistance at the front edge is very high due to the non-aerodynamic shape of these SUVs. The pressure also increases dramatically with speed. Double sided tape cannot withstand such high pressures and the part is going to fly off sooner or later. This can cause accidents as you say, and road transport authorities should take a note of this irresponsible design behaviour of some of the automakers and put in place a penal mechanism.

Link to my post with the details of my incident: .https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5395307 (My 2020 Mahindra Thar Review (Mystic Copper)!)

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 29th October 2022 at 11:09.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 16:40   #1872

Hi all,

Always wanted to be a part of this elite group & take this opportunity to thank the Moderators for allowing me to become a member of this community. Thanks!

This is my first post & will be sharing my side of the story related to SCORPIO N.

This is my 5th planned vehicle (Maruti 800/IndigoCS(D)/Dzire(D)/Ecosport TDCI) and had always adored the Scorpio Cult for everything it offered although it defied law of physics in its design & structure. My friends own Scorpio & I have driven/travelled extensively with them only to see my passion increasing for the product with every passing day. My Ecosport already completed 1.8 Lacs KM (in 5 years) & I was prospecting for a new vehicle/upgrade (with old Scorpio top in the list) when the SCORPIO N announcement came. I was delighted to know that my dream vehicle is getting upgraded after 20+ years in service & I could own a better featured & safe vehicle without loosing it's original stance & charm. So I too was online before time on the D Day to play the fastest finger competition with no success initially but was eventually included in the Introductory pricing a couple of days later. I felt like the most blessed & happiest person that day. However, got little disappointed when delivery dates were announced & mine was planned for Apr'23. The variant I booked was Z8 Diesel (AT) / Deep Forest.

Come Navratra's & I was outside the Mahindra Showroom to see how it looked on roads from a distance. Ever since I have been keenly observing them whenever they pass by & even followed them to see the road presence & also if they made any difference the way Scorpio is infamously popular for.

My critical 4 observations were:-
1. ScorpioN undoubtedly feels good in most department than the previous Scorpio (excluding height) and is a true upgrade keeping in mind that we are in 2022 & the product is at par with competition who are loading safety & features in their vehicles with every passing day.
2. ScorpioN is truly an Urban car with off-roading capabilities which will be loved by family & friends alike.
3. The price point of the product is fantastic. So much in offer at so little a price.
4. Mahindra's have put their heart & mind in making this iconic product a success because failure was never an option for it's engineers.

My 4 takes:-
1. After seeing SCORPIO N on road for quite some time now, I somehow started feeling that it looks huge but does not command the respect Old SCORPIO used to get.
2. I felt ScorpioN has less commanding seating position as compared to the Old Scorpio. And for some, Body Roll in Old Scorpio is what they have grown up with & just love it.
3. ScorpioN surely has better dynamics, performance & tech but die hard fan of Old Scorpio will always like it the Old School type feel with minimal gizmos & Macho feel charm it brings with it.
4. ScorpioN looks more sophisticated & tender than the Bold-Boxy look of Scorpio with bonnet scoop, chunky side cladding, a kinked roof and the distinct roof rails which has gained love from masses for past two decades although a debate continues on its stability, dynamics & safety aspects.

And then I realized, I was the second type...

Walked into the local Mahindra Showroom with my better half. Met my old Sales Consultant (ScorpioN guy). Requested Test drive of new Scorpio Classic S11 Black. We both Fell in Love. Booked Scorpio Classic.

"Heart wins over Mind!"
BONDAY is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 17:10   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
I assume there is no official niggles thread for the Scorpio N yet, so posting here.
Although I’m glad that there is NOT a niggles thread but I hope I can answer your queries to my best knowledge.

1.) There is an update due on my vehicle and the current package version on mine is 10.08.75, so clearly that one is outdated and mine has Android Auto enabled. And a quick way to check if your unit is updated or not is to slot the gear in reverse and if the HU shows a small Scorpio N on the side or if your rear view camera feed is not full screen by default that means you are running the beta/pre-production version.
2.) There’s no way to select Zip permanently as it is the sweet spot tune that makes the car fun enough while keeping the fuel efficiency in check. You need to select the drive mode everytime you push the ignition, but I’m sure a simple software update can fix this so be sure to put this in your feedback call from Mahindra, they do listen.
3.) Again, much like the drive mode selector the auto start-stop (ASS) also resets itself after every ignition cycle. Although I’ve heard that the XUV500 didn’t have this; the ASS used to get and remained turned off until the button was pressed again.
4.) The e-sim in the car is of Vodafone-Idea, it has pathetic coverage, and the connected car features also are more of a gimmick as they don’t work half of the time or take a long time to connect and the AdrenoX app is glitchy as well, it shows that the car’s boot/door is open even after it is closed and locked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim View Post
Other owners of Scorpio N, please confirm if you are also facing such problem with lights.
By its very virtue white LED’s are not the best for Indian road/highway conditions unless one has those aftermarket bright blinding white ones which light up the roads ahead like it’s afternoon, which clearly is illegal and makes one more prone to accidents by blinding the other person coming their way, I experienced this first hand a couple of years back on my then new XL6 which has the same setup, during fogs and areas lit by white LED streetlights or when hit by the beams of other cars the headlight literally fades away into the surrounding making the driver feel like the headlamp is off at times, so unfortunately, the issue you are facing is the Achilles’ heel of LED’s. But still get the focus of your headlamps checked during your next service just to be sure that the beams are focusing in the right way.

Also on a different note, has anyone else been facing this peculiar issue where when you get out of the car after turning it off and push the lock switch on the door the MID says “Key in Vehicle” and refuses to lock the vehicle until it is turned off-on again? And yes the key is always in my pocket so clearly it is a glitch.
I hope the update fixes this issue.

Regards,
Shrey
Shrey1230 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 01:13   #1874
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the ScorpioN Diesel AT, 4X4

Am not a fan of BS6 diesels, an AT transmission & body-on-frame SUVs, but still went to take a test drive of the ScorpioN. I must say, I came out impressed!
I was looking for a diesel manual, but the test drive vehicles available were a petrol MT and a diesel AT 4x4, I opted for the diesel.

My observations-

What I liked-

Excellent NVH.
A smooth AT gear box.
Excellent low end torque. Stop and go on inclines is effortless.
The hill hold assist along with the AT gear box will make uphill driving on hills with stop-go traffic an effortless job.
Though the dimensions are large, this car can be driven very easily in city. The controls are light.
Even though the steering is light, there was no nervousness at high speeds.
The brake bite was progressive and confidence inspiring.
Body roll is quite sorted for a body-on-frame SUV of this size. The ride quality, though not plush, still was good. It surpassed my expectations.
No complaints on the fit and finish part. Panel gaps looked even, no rough edges either.
It's a huge leap ahead from the previous gen Scorpio.

Overall a big thumbs-up.

What I didn't like-

The third row felt crammed.
The Z4, 4x4 should have atleast gotten the MLD. The front BLD still can be skipped!
The rear lost its composure when driven over a rumble strip at a higher speed.
The acceleration is decent, but not brisk.

Only if Mahindra can sort the DPF related issues with their BS6 diesels, this car is real VFM. Few days back I test drove the Hyryder AWD, which is priced at Rs 19.22 L on-road in Kolkata, whereas the ScorpioN Z4 MT 4X4 is priced at Rs 18.65 L on road felt more VFM to me. Though the Hyryder V awd is much more loaded with features compared to the ScorpioN Z4, the powerful diesel engine with the low range gear box and the tough build takes the cake for the N! On the other hand, the Hyryder/Vitara will be a more niggle free and a safer buy!

In the below link I had shared my take on the Hyryder AWD-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5427753 (Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review)

Few pics from the drive-

Looks good!

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_3924.jpg

Size comparison with Bhpian Mountain_deep's Duster AWD

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_3925.jpg

With the XUV300 and Duster AWD

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_3926.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_3919.jpg

A neat, well-protected underbelly.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_3920.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_3921.jpg

A commanding view.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_3922.jpg

I was accompanied by Bhpian Mountain_deep and Bhpian DogNDamsel12 for the test drive. Both of them were also impressed driving the car.

Last edited by Samba : 30th October 2022 at 01:38.
Samba is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 14:19   #1875

Dropped off my vehicle for 1st service. Pointed out minor fitment issues. The plastic top of driver side seatbelt is popping off regularly. Asked it to be replaced. Dont have any headlight or steering alignment issues per them but still feel LED low beam is not very good. But its the nature of white LED lights to blame. Attached image shows the issues per their system to be rectified.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20221030141432__01.jpg  

blackfox is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks