Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 00:46   #2056
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Hi Guys,

I'm shopping for alloys for my Z4 expected to be delievered this month.

Can someone confirm the PCD of the Scorpio N? I was under the impression that it was 5X 114.3, same as the Thar, XUV700 and Scorpio Classic, but Neo Wheels lists 5x139.7 as the PCD and only shows those options. I had arranged for some nice Radi8 wheels with a dealer, but I've put it on hold due to this confusion.

Can the new owners help please?
Old 12th December 2022, 10:09   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim View Post
Yes, have seen this video, in this rear wheel rubbing the wall at particular offroading scenario which is Axle articulation so this new tyre will also rub,cant do anything on this.

I think the stock tyre was 1 kg lighter. today i drove after changing the tyre on pune mumbai expressway and did a bit of offroading especially axle articulation and felt the difference which was positive in all the aspects.
I had all the negative thought before chaging the tyre and so it took 5k running before changing the tyre.
But will continue observing for any negative side effect as you have highlighted about suspension
I request testing whether the new tyre is touching the inner wheel-well wall by loading the car with 5 passengers and some luggage, i.e. when the suspension is under full-load condition.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 10:22   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm shopping for alloys for my Z4 expected to be delievered this month.

Can someone confirm the PCD of the Scorpio N? I was under the impression that it was 5X 114.3, same as the Thar, XUV700 and Scorpio Classic, but Neo Wheels lists 5x139.7 as the PCD and only shows those options. I had arranged for some nice Radi8 wheels with a dealer, but I've put it on hold due to this confusion.

I'm pretty sure Scorpio N PCD is 114.3. Previous gen Scorpio/Thar had 139.7 PCD. Even for previous gen Scorpio, the PCD changed to 114.3 in 2014. I think Neo wheels is showing wrong sizes.
Old 12th December 2022, 10:29   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

Can someone confirm the PCD of the Scorpio N? I was under the impression that it was 5X 114.3, same as the Thar, XUV700 and Scorpio Classic, but Neo Wheels lists 5x139.7 as the PCD...

The PCD is 5x139.7, I got this measured since I will be upgrading the alloys. This is apparently the same as the old Scorpio.
ROG_AK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:45   #2060
BHPian

I had posted these links on another thread. There seem to be conflicting numbers.

I am not sure about the authenticity of the site though.
This site says ScorpioN and Thar are the same. XUV7OO is larger.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mahi...corpio-n/2022/
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mahindra/xuv700/2022/
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mahindra/thar/2022/
Old 12th December 2022, 11:47   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeringWheel View Post
I'm pretty sure Scorpio N PCD is 114.3. Previous gen Scorpio/Thar had 139.7 PCD. Even for previous gen Scorpio, the PCD changed to 114.3 in 2014. I think Neo wheels is showing wrong sizes.
I stand corrected. PCD of Scorpio N does seem to be different from XUV700. I was also thinking it is same and was on a look out for alloys with 114.3 PCD.
Old 12th December 2022, 14:33   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mahindra Scorpio-N scored five stars for adult occupant protection and three stars for child occupant protection.

The Mahindra Scorpio-N was tested in its basic safety specification fitted with two frontal airbags and ABS. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and side curtain airbags are not standard however curtain airbags are standard in the majority of units produced.

The lack of three point seatbelts affected the child occupant protection result, limiting it to only three stars.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-capture.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th December 2022 at 14:38.
volkman10 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 14:48   #2063
Distinguished - BHPian

So just when they started production of the lower variants this result has also come - nice timing.

However given the car`s popularity it was perhaps GNCAP who needed this test to be done rather than M&M, nevertheless results are as expected.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 15:06   #2064

Re: What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?

Is this a build quality issue or just a "freak incident"..

Hello All, this happened on 8th December 2022. I was with my family returning home from a one day trip to alibaug. Just a few meters away form my place a guy on his scooter over took me form the left and came a little too close due to which i had to steer to the right. Immediately there was a thud and the car fell on its face to the right side. I knew this wasn't good and i could hear the under body scraping the road.

As i parked the car on the side and got out to see what had happened, i just couldn't believe what i saw. The front right tyre had burst and completely dislodged (time 5 pm).

This happened as the tyre scraped the divider seen in the image attached, possibly the tyre burst immediately on touching the divider and then as the wheel hit the standing divider face first. I was doing around 20 odd KMPH as this is an internal lane and has people moving around.

I opened the "with you hamesha" app can called the customer service number, they asked me what had happened and sent me a sms to share my exact location (time 5.15 pm). I was told that RSA team will reach out to me to further assist with the towing. But no one called for the next 30 odd mins.

As no one called i reached out to the service manager at the goregaon workshop who asked me to hold on for a bit as he would be reaching out to someone form the RSA team. Getting impatient i called the customer care number once again who told me that the RSA team was trying to reach me but my number wasn’t reachable. This was strange as i had also provided them an alternate number.

Note that the direct toll free number (18001027006) for RSA kept asking me to self- register as all their agents were busy, but I never received an sms to do the same.

Finally I received a call from the RSA team who sent me a link on sms to share my location. Then they asked me a few questions related to the incident like how and what had happened.

While they said that the TAT for a towing van to reach me was 1 hour, I received a call from the towing van in 10 mins around 6.30 pm.

They also told me that the car will be towed the car to the nearest service station which as per my location was Mira road, instead of my preference to take the car at NBS Goregaon.

A hydraulic towing van was sent instead of a flat bed as my wheel was dislodged and it would have been impossible to get the car on a flat bed.

Car was dropped at mira road service center around 8 pm.

The survey by the insurance company has been done and I am now awaiting their approval, my only hope is that everything gets covered.

I want to raise this with Mahindra as well, can someone help me with an email if where this concern can be raised?
Attached Images

Last edited by ameyagaje : 12th December 2022 at 15:16. Reason: spelling correction
ameyagaje is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 15:15   #2065
BHPian

Scorpio-N has just recd a 5 star NCAP rating. That should settle the dust!

[ATTACH=MahindraScorpio-N-2022-fact-sheet.pdf]2389167[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MahindraScorpio-N-2022-fact-sheet.pdf (1.19 MB, 348 views)
slylenser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 15:25   #2066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Mahindra Scorpio-N scored five stars for adult occupant protection and three stars for child occupant protection
Kudos to Mahindra!!!
Should be a slap on the face for those Gravitas (read Harrier XL) afficiandos who had said BoF would not be as safe as monocoque vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Mahindra Scorpio-N was tested in its basic safety specification fitted with two frontal airbags and ABS. Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and side curtain airbags are not standard however curtain airbags are standard in the majority of units produced.
They had recently made ESP as optional in all variants, though guess it wouldn't make much difference to the current testing.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:09   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra All-New Scorpio-N becomes the first body-on-frame SUV to secure 5-star Global NCAP rating.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-fb_img_1670841531891.jpg

Press Release

Quote:
Mumbai, 12 December, 2022: Mahindra & Mahindra, India’s leading SUV manufacturer with a history of making safe SUVs, now creates a new milestone in this journey. The All-New Scorpio-N becomes the first body-on-frame SUV to secure a 5-star rating in the Global New Car Assessment Programme’s (GNCAP) new crash test protocols, which came into effect from 1st July 2022.

The All-New Scorpio-N has achieved 5-star and 3-star rating for Adult and Child occupant safety respectively. Moreover, Scorpio-N also complied with additional tests including pole side impact, pedestrian protection UN127, electronic stability control (ESC) according to GTR8 and its fitment, and side head protection airbag fitment. As a result of this, Scorpio N becomes the first body-on-frame SUV to achieve 5-star rating in the new GNCAP’s crash test protocols.

Launched in June 2022, the Scorpio-N becomes Mahindra’s third SUV after the XUV700 and XUV300 to secure a 5-star rating. The Mahindra XUV300 became Mahindra’s first SUV to earn a 5-star adult safety rating along with India's first ‘Safer Choice’ Award (by GNCAP) in 2020 followed by XUV700 in 2021. Also, Mahindra’s other body-on-frame vehicles Thar and Marazzo have received 4-star rating in 2020 and 2018 respectively. Mahindra is thus setting a new benchmark for making safe SUVs for India.

Commenting on this recognition, Velusamy R, President Automotive Technology and Product Development, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. said, “Safety is an integral part of our product development process. By securing a 5-star rating in the new Global NCAP crash test protocols, the All-New Scorpio-N becomes the first Global NCAP 5-star body-on-frame SUV. Achieving best-in-class safety performance for the All-New Scorpio-N is a demonstration of our unique product development approach towards body-on-frame vehicles. Our mission is to make safer SUVs. The third-generation body-on-frame platform has been engineered to deliver best-in-class safety for the All-New Scorpio-N by efficiently absorbing energy to maximize occupant protection and also to maximize comfort while delivering authentic SUV attributes.”

Commenting on this recognition, Alejandro Furas, Secretary General of Global NCAP said, Global NCAP congratulates Mahindra on its continuing commitment to safety, achieving five stars for adult occupant protection under our new, more demanding crash test protocols.

The All-New Scorpio-N is acknowledged for its thrilling performance, unmissable presence, premium crafted interiors, sophisticated ride and handling, ‘Go Anywhere’ capability that bristles with technology. Now, with a 5-star rating in Global NCAP new crash test protocols, it enhances the Scorpio-N’s reputation as one of India’s most desirable SUV.
Some notable safety features of the Scorpio-N* are:
· Next Gen Body-on-frame Platform
· 6 Airbags
· Driver Drowsiness detection
· Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
· Latest generation ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) + EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution)
· Hill Descent Control
· Hill Hold Control
· Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)
· Roll Over Mitigation (ROM)
· Ventilated Disc Brakes (Front + Rear)
· ISOFIX/ i-SIZE Compatibility
· Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
· Front & Rear Camera
· Front & Rear Parking Sensors
· LED Sequential Turn Indicator
· E-call & SOS Switch
· AdrenoX Connect, Alexa Built-in
*Features may differ by variants

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th December 2022 at 16:12.
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:10   #2068
BHPian

Re: What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?

Great that the N got 5 star rating in the new global NCAP rating! Further it is mentioned in the Autocarindia article that the bodyshell as well as the footwell area of the Scorpio N were stable and the latter was capable of withstanding further loadings. This is reassuring and gives me peace of mind. I will be the only one driving my vehicle.

Coincidentally, today morning I got a call from the dealership to confirm if I intend to accept the delivery. So expecting my N before mid-Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyagaje View Post

Is this a build quality issue or just a "freak incident"..

As i parked the car on the side and got out to see what had happened, i just couldn't believe what i saw. The front right tyre had burst and completely dislodged (time 5 pm).

I am not an expert but looks like the tyre took the impact at its weakest spot - the same reason why one should not brake while cornering sharply.
Thank you for sharing the photos. Now I see what Kosfactor mentioned in the review thread regarding aluminum components in the suspension.

Last edited by NT_GT : 12th December 2022 at 16:40. Reason: Quoting another post.
NT_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:22   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Kudos to Mahindra!!!
Should be a slap on the face for those Gravitas (read Harrier XL) afficiandos who had said BoF would not be as safe as monocoque vehicles.
Well said and should be car of the year, hands down.

Though Scorpio N was leading the charts by a huge margin on Team-bhp poll, this should clear doubts, if anyone had any.
atluri_rkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 23:16   #2070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeringWheel View Post
I stand corrected. PCD of Scorpio N does seem to be different from XUV700. I was also thinking it is same and was on a look out for alloys with 114.3 PCD.
Same boat here. I even bargained hard and got some Radi8 R8CM9 wheels which would have looked wicked on the ScorpioN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
The PCD is 5x139.7, I got this measured since I will be upgrading the alloys. This is apparently the same as the old Scorpio.
Thanks a lot boss. This is not the same as the Scorpio though. Original Scorpio came with 5x160 and the 2014+ models switched to 5x114.3 AFAIK. It was the XUV500 which came with 5x139.7. And the Thar DI before that.

Initially, I thought that it would be a good thing as the XUV did have a nice selection of patterns, but this isn't the case. Neo wheels has about 6-8 designs, Plati has about 15 and all of them feel rather ordinary. On the upside you do have access to some nice off-road steel wheels, though they are 16 inches. And I don't know if the ScorpioN can take 16-inch wheels, or if the -ve offset that most XUV wheels have will make the tyres foul with the arches.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-plati.jpg

Plati collection

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20221212-230006.jpg

Neo Wheels collection
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed