Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2023, 20:24   #2266

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

First things first, thank you all for continuing to post about the Scorpio N. It was of immense help in zeroing in on the variant I booked last week - the Scorpio N Z4 D 2WD AT in Pune, with expected delivery in February 2024 .
Albeit subjective, the following in order of priority helped me clarify the choice of this model -
  1. Finding a VFM considering current prices, waiting periods and inflation. This, I say again is very subjective and can encompass a wide spectrum of views or opinions. None of which is being milled on.
  2. Consequent to previous, the inevitable price hikes either by the manufacturer themselves or due to government mandated requirements (incoming RDE & 6 airbag rule for passenger cars) were factored in based on January 2023 prices.
  3. Comparatively lesser tech (read lifestyle features) vis-à-vis higher variants. Am drawing this conclusion from my experience in maintaining vehicles as they age. My family's vehicle ownership period is of a reasonably longer period (10+ years) and the learnings are cumulatively drawn from this. Additionally, this also opens up options for authorized upgrades and better control on our budget by way of increased ability to pick and choose the features/upgrades we want instead of having to go with pre-selected ones. For example - am not a great fan of sunroofs or leather/leatherette seats and will not choose to pay extra for it.
  4. Acceptance of the cloud on the future of ICEs, especially diesels. There are many schools of thought on this and the unpredictable regulatory ecosystem does not make it any easier. Of course, as far as I'm concerned I hope well made/maintained ICE's are given a serious thought by the authorities before taking impactful decisions.
Scorpio N was the last vehicle that was test driven. Before that it was the fifth generation Honda City, Toyota Hyryder Strong Hybrid, Nexa's XL6 & Grand Vitara Smart Hybrid and the trail ending with Scorpio Classic & XUV 700 in the diesels band.
The two strong contenders were the always rumoured to launch & similar to Honda HRV abroad - the HRV in India and Toyota's Innova Hycross Hybrid. With no official news of the former and the latter's VX Hybrid variant beyond our budget the requirement to book a vehicle was a priority. Our current vehicle is an ageing Toyota Corolla petrol of 2003 make.

The factors that will put pressure on cancelling the Z4 and opting for something else will be -
  • Extension of delivery estimates & increase in prices beyond our threshold. This in real terms would mean the price gap relative to Z6 & Z8 is excessively narrowed down. Will not be opting for an upgrade to higher variants and starting the clock again.
  • Removal of existing features which downgrades the variant in my perspective.
So, this was a very brief outlook on choosing the variant and some of my thoughts behind it. If it helps someone it would indeed be great.

Am currently researching on dealer provided alloy upgrades to 17 inchers (or maybe the 18 inch ones as well). From what I have gathered so far, upgrades to 18 inch alloys/tires require a kind of calibration/modification to some sensor of the odometer. If anyone has any insight on upgrading to 18 inch alloys, specifically and it's calibaration/impact on the odometer please do share.
The search for a decent accessories outlet in Pune is proving to be a tricky one. Most of the videos on YouTube are usually based in New Delhi, at least in the videos I have viewed so far.

Thank you for reading this brief post. Hope to update this with specifics as I gather more information/insights.
ziffius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 03:40   #2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEJSINGH View Post
I believe we do have a serious chronic suspension issue in the vehicle of people feeling road surfaces and minor road undulations into the vehicle.
This is most possibly a suspension issue or a steering issue, but something is not right, as vehicles feels as if wheels are are juddering vertically and this constant katak-katak movement whilst driving vehicle even on fairly smooth roads.
Hi, I got my Scorpio-N Z8L AT delivered on 15 DEC 2022 from Pothens Mahindra, Ernakulam, Kerala. I noticed this juddering the moment I left the showroom and informed my SA to which he was clueless. At first he told me this can be informed during my first service, however my first service had to be carried out in Tamil Nadu. Nobody had a clue of what I was saying regarding the issue. Just before returning back to Dubai, I wrote a detailed mail to the M&M customer care and they responded well, looping the M&M Area Service Head and the dealer Service manager. They collected my vehicle about 3 weeks ago and told me it was a steering box design flaw and they have received multiple complaints. They claimed the steering box was replaced, however, the juddering is still prominent Feels like driving a 10-15 year old car. Wanted to know if your problem was resolved. If so, what did the service center do to resolve the issue?

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th February 2023 at 07:04. Reason: Please avoid quoting the full long post. Thank you!
sanjumathew89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 21:37   #2268
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjumathew89 View Post
Wanted to know if your problem was resolved. If so, what did the service center do to resolve the issue?
I had the exact same issue with the steering. Mahindra finally replaced the steering rack under warranty. Issue has been significantly reduced but not totally resolved. The juddering is still felt very rarely. I am ok with that because its really a pain to get the Service center folks to agree to the issue.
SDK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 10:52   #2269
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Hi owners!

Any updates on Apple Carplay for Z8L?
Old 18th February 2023, 14:49   #2270

Folks need one help!!

I own Scorpio N Z4 D AT. Couple of weeks back, while parking my car, I inadvertently bumped on a small pole which was not visible from inside. Though, there was a small dent on bumper due to this impact; however I started noticing one wierd thing after this incident. Whenever I go on a long drive on highway and I release the accelerator after pressing it for long, i get one wierd krrrrr noise for half a second. This happens only on highways and that too driving a car for long at 90-100 kmph. Service center people are unable to dignose the issue. Can anyone help me with the probable cause for the same?
Old 20th February 2023, 16:14   #2271

Cheers on the amazing thread! I have booked Z8L D AT 4WD and hopefully to get it by next week.
adi_tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 16:33   #2272
BHPian

Hi all, my friend has booked a Z8L P AT and expecting delivery this week. He was wondering what accessories he should go for from the dealer and which ones he should get from outside. I tried searching the thread but was not able to find a list (I might have missed it). Can someone please help me out.

Thanks!!
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:08   #2273
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikh_oberoi View Post
There are plenty of garages that can match the quality.

Anyways, what's the expense for getting the ppf reinstalled on the door?
Hi there, it depends on the ppf that you have used. The installer needs to have loose material to do one door. So you may have to wait for some time. An entire roll would cost a lot. Mine was STEK so was expensive. I paid 11K for reinstalling on the door and I had to wait for almost a month for him to have a loose sheet just for the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amahale View Post
Hi all, my friend has booked a Z8L P AT and expecting delivery this week. He was wondering what accessories he should go for from the dealer and which ones he should get from outside. I tried searching the thread but was not able to find a list (I might have missed it). Can someone please help me out.

Thanks!!
Hi there,

When I got my delivery, there were no aftermarket accessories. So I got the following from the dealer itself.

1. Some chrome addons (Not the entire kit). I think this is not yet available in the aftermarket. So get them from Mahindra itself.

2. Mudflaps - You can get these from a dealer or aftermarket

3. 7D Mats - Please get these from the market. The dealer ones are not great. Too many gaps

4. Rain visors - The ones coming from Mahindra are good ones, There are also ScorpioN embossed ones available on carhatke I believe for about 1600 bucks.

5. I also got roof rails. The basic one with two bars. However, you should put it only if you regularly go on drives with extra luggage that needs to be stowed on top. It produces wind noise once you cross 60 kmph. I am now used to it but many find it irritating.

6. Front and rear bumper add-ons. You must get these from Mahindra. They are useful and they look good also.

7. Sun shades. The ones from Mahindra are really good.

8. Bumper corner protector - Little things but useful

9. Illuminated scuff plates - The ones from Mahindra are very nice and classy.

10. Pedal covers - Up to you. You will need to figure out which one you like and go for it.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd February 2023 at 11:44. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
chipsnchops is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 17:11   #2274

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoz View Post
Mahindra 18 inch alloys cost slightly more than 70k.
Congratulations on the new Z4 and thank you for responding to several queries regarding upgrades done. Everest White was my first choice before settling on Dazzling Silver for Z4 booking at my end.
I too intend to upgrade alloys to either 17 or 18 inches from the dealer. Request your patience for another query please,
Does upgrading to an 18 inch alloy require any changes to odometer settings which is originally calibrated for a 17 incher?
Old 22nd February 2023, 18:15   #2275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amahale View Post

Thanks!!
The dealer will send it to your friend, an online accessories brochure - Z8L is fully loaded trim, no accessory other than floor mats are needed. Ask your friend to go for the most expensive floor mat, it fits well and feels nice under the feet.

If the dealer insists on something just tell him that your friend would like to buy something like extended warranty for that money than accessories.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 19:45   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziffius View Post
Does upgrading to an 18 inch alloy require any changes to odometer settings which is originally calibrated for a 17 incher?
No worries! Upgrading the tyre will cause odo error and as far as I know the dealer won't correct it. You will have to live with it. Depending on the tyre size you are upgrading to, you can check the error percentage using online calculators. A 1 or 2% error won't even be noticeable.
rodeoz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 13:43   #2277

Hi,

I need a bit of advice for choosing between 4WD and 2WD as I never owned a 4WD before. My 4WD experience is limited to test drives only (rough patches and simple non-tarmac surfaces by the side of the road). In all these places, I really didn't need to go beyond 2WD (never needed to go to 4WL or 4WH). That was an AT with 400NM torque; don't know if an MT can manage that with 370 NM torque.

I don't think I will ever get into the kind of hard-core off-roading that they show in youtube videos, but I might go occasionally (read once or twice in lifetime) to snow areas, but might go off the road a bit more often when I visit hill resorts and rural areas. Driving on the beach where water meets sand would be good too.

With the above requirements, do I really need a 4WD? If 2WD suffices, do I have to necessarily go for an AT (for the extra torque it provides) or would I be ok with an MT as well? I am only talking about D variants.

Any light you could throw would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd February 2023, 14:02   #2278

Does anyone experience a mild whistling sound inside the ScorpioN cabin when driving in highways above 80kmph? If we turn on music, we don't hear that sound. Without music, it can be clearly heard.

Spoke to the dealer and they told me that they will check this during the 1st service. Would be helpful to know if anyone had this issue and got it fixed.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2023 at 14:06. Reason: Minor formatting...
Old 23rd February 2023, 14:15   #2279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearmusiclover View Post
With the above requirements, do I really need a 4WD? If 2WD suffices, do I have to necessarily go for an AT (for the extra torque it provides) or would I be ok with an MT as well? I am only talking about D variants.
Depends on your usage. If it is majorly city driving and you see yourself in crawling traffic, then sacrificing AT for 4x4 wouldn't make sense. Afterall, you will drive it 100%, but of that the off-roading bit needed will be less than 5%.

But if you want a manual and can stretch to the 4x4 , would be good to have. Who knows, maybe you will get bit by the off-roading bug. That said, if you really see yourself using 4x4 only once or twice during the lifetime, then best to go for the 4X2 AT version.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 15:20   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathiravansub View Post
Does anyone experience a mild whistling sound inside the ScorpioN cabin when driving in highways above 80kmph? If we turn on music, we don't hear that sound. Without music, it can be clearly heard.

Spoke to the dealer and they told me that they will check this during the 1st service. Would be helpful to know if anyone had this issue and got it fixed.
It's probably the turbo kicking in, above 2200 RPM as far as I know.

Most Viewed