Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2023, 10:59   #2311
BHPian
 
vredesbyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Freeport 7
Posts: 747
Thanked: 2,611 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
No timeline for CarPlay to be provided. How hard can it be to get this done for your highest end and top selling vehicles?
It is probably stuck with the QA department not allowing a buggy mess to be pushed on to the systems.

Fine, they can take their own sweet time but not being able to give customers a timeline is sad and irresponsible.

More so because I abhor android auto. No system-based native music player, full of bugs and can't touch the phone when connected (even input destination on phone screen as keyboards on infotainment screens are not nice).

Just hope they are able to solve it before the end of the year.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 11:10   #2312
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,244
Thanked: 9,087 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post

More so because I abhor android auto. No system-based native music player, full of bugs and can't touch the phone when connected (even input destination on phone screen as keyboards on infotainment screens are not nice).

Just hope they are able to solve it before the end of the year.
If your phone is nice , Android Auto works flawlessly, that has been our experience. There are some phones where either some access related settings or battery saver etc will mess with AA, but otherwise no problem at all.

There is an inbuilt music player - Amazon music, you can access it only through Alexa as far as I know - plus it has a whisper mode so you can use it even when others are sleeping. It's a giant Alexa speaker practically, given how accurate Alexa is, you'd get used to it in no time. Some things like opening sunroof and navigation using MapMyIndia are easier to use with Alexa than pressing buttons. But if you don't like Alexa you can always use Google assistant or Siri once Carplay is in - for all the phone related functions.

You have to use either Carplay/ Android auto or Amazon music through Alexa to get full immersive music experience, even in peak traffic you would be completely isolated from all the mess around, it's fantastic.
Kosfactor is online now  
Old 12th March 2023, 11:12   #2313
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Pune, Mumbay
Posts: 300
Thanked: 941 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Alexa is banned from my home and will never be allowed into my car.
We already give big tech far too much information as it is.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 11:20   #2314
BHPian
 
vredesbyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Freeport 7
Posts: 747
Thanked: 2,611 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If your phone is nice, Android Auto works flawlessly, that has been our experience. There are some phones where either some access related settings or battery saver etc will mess with AA, but otherwise no problem at all.
I guess it is time for an upgrade. It is a OnePlus 9R. I've had similar janky experience on these three: LG V30, Galaxy Note 9 and OP9R across three different vehicles.

Carplay? Well, it has been flawless in over 10 vehicles.

Quote:
There is an inbuilt music player - Amazon music, you can access it only through Alexa as far as I know - plus it has a whisper mode so you can use it even when others are sleeping.
That is great but more than half the time, I play music from the phone's local storage (I am old fashioned). If the music app doesn't work well with AA, the it's game over. Old trustworthy apps don't have support anymore and everyone just wants online music streaming.

Quote:
You have to use either Carplay/ Android auto or Amazon music through Alexa to get full immersive music experience, even in peak traffic you would be completely isolated from all the mess around, it's fantastic.
You are talking about the 3D positioning and acoustics, right? The sound system is indeed amazing. Only wish there was a way of doing it without amazon and on locally stored media.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 12th March 2023 at 11:21.
vredesbyrd is offline  
Old 12th March 2023, 13:15   #2315
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,244
Thanked: 9,087 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
That is great but more than half the time, I play music from the phone's local storage (I am old fashioned). If the music app doesn't work well with AA, the it's game over. Old trustworthy apps don't have support anymore and everyone just wants online music streaming.

*Snip*

You are talking about the 3D positioning and acoustics, right? The sound system is indeed amazing. Only wish there was a way of doing it without amazon and on locally stored media.
You will need to pay for a streaming service, you can always download your favorite playlists locally in the highest quality available or the app will auto download what it thinks you like.

USB drives are supported, provided you have CD quality rips it would do a good job, else just use a streaming service like Amazon, Spotify, YT music etc. I do not think any of the smartphone mirroring compatible streaming services would support using locally downloaded music - could be wrong here.

Having an audiophile grade system at home, I made peace with physical/online media long ago, it was not worth the hassle anymore and without going digital all that equipment will become very expensive wooden furniture.

There came a device called Chromecast Audio , it has optical audio out which the Amp was happy with and still works well, dynamic range /clarity , all of that good stuff, and it still works after all these years.

In other words - you have to subscribe to Amazon prime at the very least or some other streaming service.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 22:03   #2316
GKU
BHPian
 
GKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 89 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

I went for PDI on Saturday, could not complete it as it was already late in the evening (Better half and kid were accompanying me and they were not very happy about me holding 4 page checklist ).

Odo reading was 65KM. Checked exterior, all seemed ok. Opened bonnet to check engine bay, everything was neat and clean but... I felt engine bay was very hot, so much so that metal rod which supports bonnet was difficult to hold due to heat. Not sure this is normal, (this is my first Diesel car and first time opening the bonnet of car above 1300CC ). There was coolant in the tank and engine oil was present.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230311_182253710.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230311_183230130.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230311_181525453.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2023 at 03:32. Reason: Typos, spacing. Please proof read.
GKU is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 23:41   #2317
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Pune
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
I went for PDI on Saturday, could not complete it as it was already late in the evening
Congratulations on your scorpioN.
want to know one thing what's the color of your footsteps. As I have heard somewhere that all models now coming with the silver finished footsteps.
Does anyone knows about this.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2023 at 03:32. Reason: Quote trimmed.
AlbertPintu is offline  
Old 13th March 2023, 07:29   #2318
GKU
BHPian
 
GKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 89 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertPintu View Post
Congratulations on your scorpioN.
want to know one thing what's the color of your footsteps. As I have heard somewhere that all models now coming with the silver finished footsteps.
Does anyone knows about this.
Thanks . as footsteps were still inside the box, I could not see the colour. but I remember seeing them on display vehicle (Z8L-D-AT-6str), it was not silver finished.
Do you know any variant which came with silver finish earlier ?
GKU is offline  
Old 13th March 2023, 10:21   #2319
BHPian
 
vredesbyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Freeport 7
Posts: 747
Thanked: 2,611 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You will need to pay for a streaming service, you can always download your favorite playlists locally in the highest quality available or the app will auto download what it thinks you like.

In other words - you have to subscribe to Amazon prime at the very least or some other streaming service.
See, the whole point here is that yes I do have a prime subscription and do use Amazon music when driving through the city but I have specific playlists for highway and hill driving which amazon music can never fulfill

Basically, are two points here:

1) I do not like using android auto. In Manipal, I had no choice but to use it as it was a 2017 XUV500. Less than optimal experience. Similarly painful when I use it on my 2018 Vento.
Google Music was a damn good app (although, a little vanilla) for playing local music. I must thank google for killing it and forcing youtube music on us.

2) Carplay is on a whole different level. Works fantastic and butter smooth no matter where I use it, be it a 2018 Swift or a 2020 330i. Plus, the OS has a dedicated music player which plays local files

I guess I have to bear with android auto till the M&M people finish their UAT on carplay and finally roll it out to production
My question is, those 3D sound settings (sound field depth, etc.) that I saw in the menus, will they work with things other than amazon music, like for example, PowerAmp playing local files or a USB stick?

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scaaarp.jpg

I really want to experience a super wide and space-filled bassy soundstage with my crappy game playlists and hand-curated selection of rock and metal tracks. That's about it.
In each of the test drives, I was so engrossed with the driving dynamics and the engine that I totally forgot about the sound system. What I did try on my last test drive was play radio that played bollywood music.
It did sound good but I cannot fully understand a system with music of poor taste. Maybe I'll go for another test drive (with a USB cable) and try blasting some Hans Zimmer and Bullet For My Valentine.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 12:02   #2320
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2
Thanked: 3 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertPintu View Post
Congratulations on your scorpioN.
want to know one thing what's the color of your footsteps. As I have heard somewhere that all models now coming with the silver finished footsteps.
Does anyone knows about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
Thanks . as footsteps were still inside the box, I could not see the colour. but I remember seeing them on display vehicle (Z8L-D-AT-6str), it was not silver finished.
Do you know any variant which came with silver finish earlier ?
Congratulations, GKU! Hope to cross paths in BLR

Per my dealer, the colour of the footsteps are silver for Z6 and above. It is black for the others. Footsteps for my Z8L-P-MT-7s are silver finished.
wiserHooman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 12:28   #2321
Senior - BHPian
 
Kosfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: COK\BLR\MYS
Posts: 3,244
Thanked: 9,087 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
My question is, those 3D sound settings (sound field depth, etc.) that I saw in the menus, will they work with things other than amazon music, like for example, PowerAmp playing local files or a USB stick?
Once AA\ CP(as in XUV) is connected you can play through any app, if the source is good the system in the car will splice and dice it through all the available speakers.

Although I have not tested video files, I remember from the demo that it can decode multi channel audio etc from USB source. I have tried Netflix and Youtube videos through AA, you can hear the effects well.

What I can confirm however is that you can feel the chill when Puthu Vellai Mazhai starts playing and the glass breaks, you can hear the synth and the delay drum effect going all around the cabin with Madonna`s frozen. Not getting into dark side of the moon, that is for you to hear or MJ`s beat it.

Reset the system to default settings because whoever designed it knew what they were doing.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 15:13   #2322
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7
Thanked: 11 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertPintu View Post
Congratulations on your scorpioN.
want to know one thing what's the color of your footsteps. As I have heard somewhere that all models now coming with the silver finished footsteps.
Does anyone knows about this.
Congratulations for your Scorpio N! I also got delivery of my Scorpio N Z8L 4x4 AT few days back. Hope you must be enjoying your drive
adi_tourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 19:47   #2323
BHPian
 
mukeshc18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 23
Thanked: 12 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Folks in Bangalore who are waiting for car delivery, may want to check with dealers. Today, I went to test drive XUV700 and scorpio N. SA confirmed few Scorpio N in the stock readily available.

I am mostly going to opt for 700 as I am OK to wait for few months but people who are keen on Scorpio can give it a try.

Disc: This is what I heard from SA while TD. Since, I was not interested in Scorpio N after TD, I did not inquire much. Not associated with Mahindra but happy to provide more details, if required.
mukeshc18 is offline  
Old 13th March 2023, 20:47   #2324
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Amchi Mumbai
Posts: 152
Thanked: 671 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshc18 View Post
Folks in Bangalore who are waiting for car delivery, may want to check with dealers. Today, I went to test drive XUV700 and scorpio N. SA confirmed few Scorpio N in the stock readily available.

I am mostly going to opt for 700 as I am OK to wait for few months but people who are keen on Scorpio can give it a try.

Disc: This is what I heard from SA while TD. Since, I was not interested in Scorpio N after TD, I did not inquire much. Not associated with Mahindra but happy to provide more details, if required.
That's more or less the case everywhere, my dealer in Mumbai has many Z8L's lying with him, one of them a 2022 manufactured version on which he is offering a discount of 15-20k (verbally communicated).

Mahindra overproduced Z8L's while keeping others waiting for lower variants.
Gaur is offline  
Old 14th March 2023, 10:15   #2325
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 34
Thanked: 96 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiserHooman View Post
Congratulations, GKU! Hope to cross paths in BLR

Per my dealer, the colour of the footsteps are silver for Z6 and above. It is black for the others. Footsteps for my Z8L-P-MT-7s are silver finished.
I think Z8Ls are provided black footsteps. Mine is Z8L from the 1st lot and it has black footsteps; also, I have seen Z4s with silver footsteps! May be M&M has decided to change the color scheme
Rahkehs is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks