Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2023, 20:56   #2356
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Guys, is anyone using a 12v socket extender for the N. Something like this?
Attachment 2436056

How long should the extension cable be so that it can reach near the USB port (conventionally where the front 12v charging socket is located).
Maruti has something similar for 400Rs. Ordered from their website. Let's see if they deliver. Boodmo also had the same part listed but they never delivered and I had to cancel the order. The ones listed on Amazon are all costly. Considering you will use this in conjunction with the wire of an existing tool (tyre inflator or vaccum cleaner), this should suffice.

Otherwise it is a real pain to use the 12V socket on the N. Even the tyre inflator with the longest cord barely reaches the front right wheel. Not sure what was the logic behind providing this socket in the boot.
rodeoz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 05:23   #2357

Dear BHPians,

The Big daddy has arrived and am glad that I chose PPS in Lavelle Road, and I came to know that it was a new showroom, and the team went all the way to help me in getting my Scorpio N Z4 Diesel AT as soon as possible and got it delivered on 31st March 2023.

Upgraded the alloys to OEM as i was little skeptical on the aftermarket as the PCD for scorpio-N was 139.7. Also, I liked the stock alloys anyways and they look a lot elegant in my opinion. Added few basics like floor cover, seat cover, bumper protection etc.

Immediately on the way back from Lavelle Road to Kothanur, felt the big difference of AT and how smooth it was in bumper-to-bumper traffic and absolutely loved it. Waiting to take it on the highway on Sunday to open it up and will share my experience.

A big thank you to all BHPians who helped me in clearing my doubts and making my decision. Need some help in adding Reverse camera connected to the ICE itself. Would appreciate any reference in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20230402-5.11.47-am.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20230402-5.11.48-am-2.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20230402-5.11.48-am-1.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20230402-5.11.48-am.jpeg  

nandakumar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 08:19   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandakumar View Post
Need some help in adding Reverse camera connected to the ICE itself. Would appreciate any reference in Bangalore.
I am considering Z8, which lacks front camera and front sensors. Is it possible to add these from outside without voiding warranty?
Old 2nd April 2023, 14:47   #2359
GKU
BHPian

Took delivery of my Z8L D MT on 31st March. I had booked the vehicle on 12th Jan , so I waited 78 days in total. Overall experience with PPS Mahindra (Kanakapura road ) was good. I was given multiple test drives (MT, AT, Petrol, Diesel, XUV700). Salesperson had brought the vehicle twice to my residence without frowning. I asked for PDI, they gave PDI without any excuse, I had informed them about my preferred time for delivery, they obliged and kept everything ready without any issues. I would rate overall experience high.

Just before delivery formalities.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-car-1.jpg

Taking delivery.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-car-4.jpg

Apart from car, PPS gave us box of chocolate and pooja kit

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-cho.jpg

Soon after delivery, took the vehicle to temple for pooja, as I had made prearrangement there. My brother’s family joined us for pooja and lunch at temple. Since vehicle was giving low fuel warning earlier, Took it to fuel station for a tank full (gulped 47ltrs of Diesel). In the evening, we went out for dinner and ended the day with ice cream at Naturals (one of the best ice cream money can buy IMO)

At temple, after pooja
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-car-3.jpg

Next day (1st April) afternoon decided to go for little long drive. My wife suggested Swati delicacy at Hasan-Mangalore highway, which is around 100KM from my home. Started at 4PM , took outer ring road and joined NH48 at Gorguntepalya. Road was really good, but I maintained speed between 70 to 90. Reached Swati delicacy at around 6PM. Had little snacks and coffee there. Food was average but amenities were extremely neat and clean.We started return journey around 7 PM , it was already dark and traffic was moderate. Reached home around 9 PM. Odo reading at the end of Day 2 was 387KM. So basically I have driven it for 247KM (Odo reading was 140KM when I took the delivery)

On our way to Swati delicacy we saw another SN

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-car-8.jpg

At Swati Delicacy parking

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-car-7.jpg

Likes and dislikes after 2 days and 247KM

Dislikes

Since there is lot of initial excitement, I really can’t think of any dislikes in just 2 days , though I feel gear shift can be further improved and refined. I felt 2nd to 3rd shift is slightly notchy ( I am just nitpicking here ).

• One of the surprising aspect is handling. This being BOF, I was expecting least in handling department (cornering, quick line change), but this vehicle is miles ahead of my expectation and behaved really well on highway corners at 80 to 90 speed, extremely satisfied here. ( I am not enthusiast , always drive within speed limits, please take proper precaution based on your driving style )
  • Extremely refined and silent engine (My brother and brother in law also observed it).
  • Punchy and eager to surge ahead. even the zip mode is sufficient for city.
  • Felt easy to maneuver in city (by SUV standard)
  • Steering wheel is joy to hold and operate. If there is a beauty contest for steering wheel and I am the judge, I will give the first price to Mahindra’s steering wheel and its twin peak logo. I love them both. (I would disqualify Hyundai verna's steering wheel from even contesting )
  • Controls and buttons are within reach, intuitive and easy to operate.
  • Sound quality from Sony is good. I have 3 way active crossover, tri-amp setup driven by 6 class ab discrete (Circlophone) amplifier at home. I feel this Sony system is somewhat close to my home set-up(at lower volume).
  • If I can trust onboard fuel efficiency figures, this car is fuel efficient for its size and power . 19.2 KMPL for round trip of 200KM. in that , at least 70KM involved Bangalore ring road traffic.
  • Coming from 2008 swift , headlights of Scorpion N is pure delight , it light up the high way like I have never seen before.
  • Well sorted ergonomics and comfort
Accessories added.

Just mud flaps and screen protector from Mahindra and I bought 7D mats from external vendor. Mat is of very good quality but fit is slightly above average ( may be it need time to get adjusted) I paid 4200 including shipping, I feel they are VFM.

Floor mat quality

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-floor-mat.jpg

Floor mat fit
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-car-2.jpg

Fuel efficiency details

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-car-6.jpg

Lovely steering wheel though photo is not doing justice to it

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-car-5.jpg

GKU is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 15:48   #2360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
[*] Sound quality from Sony is good. I have 3 way active crossover, tri-amp setup driven by 6 class ab discrete (Circlophone) amplifier at home. I feel this Sony system is somewhat close to my home set-up(at lower volume).
Congratulations, wish you many miles of exploring a new lifestyle, please use this vehicle a lot, it will change the way you travel.

Gear shifts will get better in some time, make sure to press the clutch pedal all the way down, hope the mats won't interfere with its travel. You will need to feel your way around the 7D mats and make sure they fit well, else they will touch the door panels which can interfere with music.

If you reset the music system and play through Android auto or Carplay , the sound quality would remind you of audiophile grade systems. You'll enjoy music a lot in this vehicle.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 16:58   #2361
GKU
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Congratulations, wish you many miles of exploring a new lifestyle, please use this vehicle a lot, it will change the way you travel.
Thanks Kosfactor. I agree with you on sound quality of Sony system.

One more thing I noticed and pleasantly surprised was bottle holder accessibility on all 4 door. Many reviews (autocar and few other ) mentioned that accessing door storage is very difficult due to lack of space. Not sure if there are modification to BS6.2 version but accessing water bottle is extremely easy. You will have to reach for bottle diagonally not vertically.

you can see me reaching for bottle from right side 2nd row seat

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-bottle.jpg
GKU is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:01   #2362
BHPian

[ATTACH=boot space.jpg]The longer the wait, the more the doubts creep in. Still unsure about the compromised luggage bay. Tried a demo with a TD vehicle and seems like it'll fit 3 full sized trolleys comfortably, but a fourth would be a squeeze or maybe even impossible to fit. Which is quite unfortunate as I've been used to the XUV500 boot, and previously the Skoda Octavia, both of which could compfortably hold 4 pieces of check-in luggage and squeeze in a bit more if needed.[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=saboot.jpg]I had recently noticed that Mahindra had provided a storage bin and an extra tray for the unshapely boot area on the South African variants, and was wondering if they would provide something similar on the Indian variants.[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=ScorpioN toolkit.gif]
Then I recently saw a video of the Z6 variant for India, where Mahindra seems to have taken a different approach and used the lowered area of the boot to store the toolkit. Even though this approach takes away from the vertical space available, the level surface allows you to properly utilise the width of the boot and may make it easier to squeeze in 4 pieces of luggage side by side (needs to be verified, but that's my hunch).[/ATTACH]

Have any of the recent Z8Ls on the forum had such an arrangement in the boot? Haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-boot-space.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-saboot.jpg  

Attached Images

ask99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 20:14   #2363
GKU
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
Have any of the recent Z8Ls on the forum had such an arrangement in the boot? Haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.
Yes , I have Feb 2023 manufactured Z8L D MT 2WD 7str-BS 6.2. I have flat boot area as shown in the picture .

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230403_195713591.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230403_195840522.jpg
GKU is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 22:01   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Yes , I have Feb 2023 manufactured Z8L D MT 2WD 7str-BS 6.2. I have flat boot area as shown in the picture .
Good to know. I'm surprised this update hadn't been pointed out by anyone yet!

Would you possibly be able to check if the tray cover can be removed to expose the storage spaces behind the toolkit (like in the image from the South African variant above)? Much appreciated 👍🏽
Old 4th April 2023, 09:59   #2365
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2436703

Attachment 2436704
Thanks for providing this update. Could you confirm if the floor has been made flat in a permanent way (raising the floor, etc.) or an additional board has been put on top of the U-shaped floor that's present in the vehicle by default?
Old 4th April 2023, 11:18   #2366

Wow. That is a good thinking by Mahindra. I got delivery of my Z4 AT which is of Feb 2023 Manufacture, but the boot is uneven. I am thinking of checking in aftermarket for a foam toolkit with cover to make the boot flat.
Old 4th April 2023, 12:30   #2367
GKU
BHPian

Quote:

Would you possibly be able to check if the tray cover can be removed to expose the storage spaces behind the toolkit (like in the image from the South African variant above)? Much appreciated 👍🏽
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Could you confirm if the floor has been made flat in a permanent way (raising the floor, etc.) or an additional board has been put on top of the U-shaped floor that's present in the vehicle by default?
This is like parcel tray, easily removable. I would say overall setup is nicely done. foam frame is screwed to floor not sure how easy/difficult to remove it. You get 2 additional pockets of storage underneath the "parcel tray". One more slight disappointing aspect was tyres. Just realized they are Bridgstone Ecopia , I thought Z8L will get apollo apttera

Sorry for poor image quality, my basement is not so well lit , phone camera has poor low light performance and I am lazy to shoot in DSLR and transfer image.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230404_120704501.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230404_120727285.jpg
GKU is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 21:47   #2368
BHPian

Some conservative/judicious real-life fuel-economy data for the Scorpio-N Petrol manual.

Since today is a holiday, had a leisurely outing to a place 50km away. The onward trip was driven leisurely after lunch, I had no intention of finding the highest possible AFE. Moreover the destination was at a higher elevation compare to where I started from. The result is this.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-onward.jpeg

Now regarding the return journey, I was interested in finding out the max possible AFE. So, intentionally driving so. I tried best to hover around 70km/hr in 6th gear and no hard acceleration. The average gradient of the return journey likely helped a bit ("hill assist" ), but not much - at most 1kmpl. The result is impressive for a 2-tonne, 200-bhp SUV!

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-return.jpeg

Last edited by NT_GT : 4th April 2023 at 21:54.
NT_GT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 11:34   #2369
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I am really glad they made this change, because this was a very deal braking annoyance for me. I know it may sound strange and nit-picky, but this bugged the hell out of me.

Quote:
Good to know. I'm surprised this update hadn't been pointed out by anyone yet!
I was reading the old Autocar India review online and they had updated the review with this information. Hence, I started searching for pictures of this and came back to this thread. The Scorpio N is back on my short list .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandakumar View Post
. I am thinking of checking in aftermarket for a foam toolkit with cover to make the boot flat.
I dont' think they would have made any changes to the sheetmetal, so I am sure if you order these parts from the dealer, it can be retrofitted.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 16:12   #2370
BHPian

There has been another cycle of price hike for Scorpio-N and XUV7OO with effect from 4th of this month.
The way delivery dates are shaping out we have to brace ourselves for price hikes every quarter.
PhoenixInRising is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks