Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2022, 14:35   #451
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Is there any procedure or trick to have a longer type test drive? In Kolkata, I had a very brief TD of about 1.5 km and the SA was ready to provide another longer TD with family. But here in Gurgaon, the SA of Mahindra dealership says it will be a brief TD. I wanted to take it over some bad roads/ no roads and through the hill type twisting highway.

Finding bad roads and no roads are pretty easy in the outskirts of Gurgaon. We have mini Spiti and mini Ladakh everywhere between the highway and old Gurgaon sectors. And pahari road towards Faridabad is a good place to simulate the hill roads.

But the sales person says only 1-2 km drive will be possible. They are not willing to go for a 10 km TD. Can someone provide reference of good SA or dealership of Gurgaon please (through PM).
Old 15th July 2022, 16:25   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Is there any procedure or trick to have a longer type test drive?
Go to a showroom. Whip out your phone camera. Talk loudly and incessantly into it. Use a lot of "bhai", "maaza aa gaya", "Mahindra ne kya gaadi bahani hai", "manna padega", etc. Tell them you're a social media influencer who wants to show his fans how great the Scorpio N is.

Last edited by naru80 : 15th July 2022 at 16:35.
naru80 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 17:20   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any procedure or trick to have a longer type test drive? In Kolkata, I had a very brief TD of about 1.5 km and the SA was ready to provide another longer TD with family..
Give them a cheque and prebook (add to card) it , if they accept it - some dealers may not as well if their numbers are filled.

Now you can ask them to call you whenever they are ready for a longer test drive. If you change your mind, you can always cancel the booking.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 17:21   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can someone please explain whether the RWD will be sufficient in similar snow condition (few inches of snow, upto 6 inches) or 4x4 will be essential.
Depends on how deep the Snow is. I have seen Gurkhas being driven on Snow with just 2wd. Dry ICE is where you will definitely need 4x4 with good tyres, personally experienced this at Manali. We had to go to Solang valley. Hired a 4wd Bolero which effortlessly went over dry ice like a champ. If I had the budget, would definitely settle for a 4x4.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 15th July 2022 at 17:24.
rakesh_r is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 17:36   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
..Use a lot of "bhai", "maaza aa gaya", "Mahindra ne kya gaadi bahani hai", "manna padega", etc. Tell them you're a social media influencer who wants to show his fans how great the Scorpio N is.
Ha ha ha...good suggestion

But here I am, a bong dada, dropping couple of rasogullas here and there while speaking Hindi! And I look too much serious. Anyway I'll share my experience tomorrow.

The 12V socket is 120W, that means 10Amp fuse. Is it sufficient for the tyre inflators for filling up these big tyres?

Also, how to refill air into the spare tyre mounted externally below the boot? By releasing the lock and taking down the tyre or in the mounted position and crawling into the space? (By the way there was one cut portion on the boot carpet, flap type. Below that there was a rubberized cap securing the opening and then there was the mounting lock nut.)

The 4x4 will have steel rims and not the alloys. Is it to keep the introductory price low or suitability for off-road applications? Personally I am ok with steel rims.

Last edited by RijuC : 15th July 2022 at 17:38.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 23:42   #456
BHPian

So was looking at the Scorpio-N today (yet again), this time with/for a friend who's shopping in that segment and wanted to try it out. Noticed a nifty feature in the Z8L.

The front parking sensors come with a cool "Auto obstacle detection" feature. A biker suddenly decided to cut us off while we were crawling in traffic and the front sensors started beeping.

This is something that's common in germans (Octy, Passat, etc.) wherein when you're driving at under 15KMPH and there's an obstacle at front, it automatically detects it and turns the OPS on.
Old 16th July 2022, 01:21   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
This is something that's common in germans (Octy, Passat, etc.) wherein when you're driving at under 15KMPH and there's an obstacle at front, it automatically detects it and turns the OPS on.
For any car with front parking sensors, wouldn't they remain on/active at all points in time? If not, how does the car know that I am parking and would need assistance from the front sensors?
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 02:25   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk_kapoor View Post
Wherever there is less traction RWD vehicles will struggle more that FWD as there will be less weignt on the tyres to keep then pressed down.
This is likely to be true for a level surface. However, on an inclined surfaces (eg mountain roads) gravity directs more load onto the rear wheels than front, even more so if the vehicle is loaded. So, for surfaces with lesser traction, a FWD is likely to fare better in plains while a RWD would be better in hills. Black ice is an entirely different animal though with extreme slipperiness, like a glass sheet on the road surface. Putting on snow chains is the only non driver skill dependent solution I've seen to work.
Vtach is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 02:34   #459
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
For any car with front parking sensors, wouldn't they remain on/active at all points in time? If not, how does the car know that I am parking and would need assistance from the front sensors?
When it comes to VW(Jetta, Passat and likes), the front parking sensors can be engaged by 2 methods-

1. Manually pressing the park assist button which engages all the sensors.

2. If you engage reverse, the sensors(both front and rear) turn on automatically.

So yes, until the time you slot in the reverse gear, the front parking sensors don't work. The sensors stop working once you cross 15 kmph. I think that this approach is much better than them being on at all times as otherwise the beeps will get irritating for the driver. I am pretty sure that most if not all manufacturers follow a similar approach.

With aftermarket front sensors, manual switch is the only way to engage them. I don't have experience with the recent VAGs so maybe they have introduced a new automatic sensor activation feature. Not sure if I really appreciate this feature though, especially in our driving conditions(bumper to bumper). Though if the sensors activate only if there is a sudden movement/obstacle, then it is not too bad a feature to have.

Last edited by AYP : 16th July 2022 at 02:38.
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 11:02   #460
BHPian

It is extremely annoying to see Mahindra missed out the telescopic steering on the Scorpio. Being 5.5 feet in height, I've to move the seat all the way to the front due to the long clutch travel (tried the petrol manual) and it's super uncomfortable with steering all the way in the front . So auto it is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
As AYP mentioned, that's how it works on VAG (Jetta and Octavia that we have had/have respectively). But it also turns on when you shift from P to D (again on VAG, not sure about the Scorpio). This is even more annoying when you're in B2B traffic or stop go traffic and you've to turn it off every time manually. I would have said the front camera is more than enough but it's super laggy in the Scorpio however I prefer the camera than the sensors. IMHO, the front parking sensors are useful if the car is going to self park, and if not, it's more of an annoyance than a boon. Aftermarket solutions would be better in this case as you can turn it on only manually and system doesn't irritate you - but the disadvantage is that, while parallel parking both the sensors will give sounds at different volumes making it super confusing
Old 16th July 2022, 12:23   #461
BHPian

Hi all, just did a quick visit to check out the ScorpioN and here are two key cons for me, others please share if it’s the same for other cars in the segment-
1. I’m a little over 6’2” and found my head almost touching the roof.
2. Being slightly heavily built, I found the contours on the front seats to be a bit problematic. As in I was sitting quite tightly fit, so my guess is anyone even slightly more heavily built will find it travelling long distances tiring.
rajk15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 12:36   #462
Senior - BHPian

I went to the Kollam, Kerala showroom yesterday after calling and sharing my added-to-cart screenshot. I was promised a test drive then and we reached the dealership sharply at 2pm, the agreed upon time. We already have a booking for the XUV700 in the same showroom, slated for APR 2023 delivery. Our mission was to evaluate both cars and if the Scorpio N is found OK, go for it.

No test drive cars were present; in fact they don't even know when one's available.

Tea, Coffee and Frooty were on menu, and we elected the latter.

Checked out a petrol manual L variant that was on display. We were one of the three parties checking out the Big Daddy. Thank God, I somehow got a chance to sit on the driver's seat for 5 minutes. A 700 AX was displayed next to it, and that made our job easier.

We unanimously found the Scorpio N inferior to the 700, both internally and externally. We also found whatever the pros and cons the TBHPians have discovered, are all absolutely correct. This includes the loud Ka-tang sound you hear when you operate the one-touch seat tumble.

However, while unmistakably a Mahindra, the car somehow looks distinctively different from the 700. This is actually a whopping achievement by the Mahindra design team. The expression, emotion and unwritten statement that the Big Daddy conveys is entirely different from the 700. This car will surely going to have a cult following. The 700 AX owners will pamper themselves in the gizmodome that engulfs them but will later move on when version 2.x or 3.x of all those technologies arrive.

The staff was very courteous, well-mannered and pleasant. They might have assumed that since we already have a booking for the XUV700 AT AWD , chances of we booking another 4WD SUV from the same marque is next to nil. Not blaming them for that assessment.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 16th July 2022 at 12:40.
sandeepmdas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 12:43   #463
Team-BHP Support

One small bit I recalled while I was driving my Scorpio S10 4WD yesterday. Accidentally hit a pool of water, it splashed my entire windscreen, the older Scorpio used to do the same, this ScorpioN does not.
Sheel is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 19:34   #464
BHPian

Finally got to Drive Scorpio-N Z8L 4XPLORE Manual. I had chance of experiencing the vehicle as a 2nd row passenger as well as a driver, the former being my first end-user experience. Both drive durations were between 15-20 minutes and happened one-after-another.

I was offered by a family to come along with them for drive as a co-passenger, who were just ahead of me in the queue for test drive and I instantly happily accepted their offer. The family had a 4.5 years kid with them who occupied the middle seat in 2nd row.

My experience as 2nd row co-passenger -

P1) 2 Six footers sit back to each other comfortably with about 4-6 cm of knee room
P2) Bottom side (seating side) of 2nd bench is about an inch shorter than XUV 700
P3) Most passengers will climb up by using Side Foot Step (SFS)
P4) 2nd row passengers sit high and taller ones would be able to see the road ahead through the gap between ceiling and top of front seat
P5) Tyre noise does come into cabin but not so intrusive that it bothers during conversations or low volume music
P6) The small potholes do not filter through the cabin, however, larger potholes cause some amount of lateral movements in cabin, however, it is well contained, also the vehicle never bottomed out and the kid in the vehicle was very comfortable
P7) Sharper turns still throw passengers sideways and body roll will be felt however that throw is well contained
P8) I Could see the roofs of all the private vehicles on road
P9) 2nd rows feels very airy and all co-passengers in both the drives enjoyed the test drives and did not feel any discomfort at anytime

When I got to drive, one family requested to accompany me and I let them be my co-passengers during the drive. They had about 18 months old kid with them which restricted the way I had originally planned to take the test drive. However, I still tried few things after checking on with my co-passengers' comfort levels each time and always kept them informed about the things I will do next and any care that they need to take. At all points, I made sure the the kid is safe and comfortable. The cute baby slept by the time we returned to the showroom

Now to observations as driver -

Driver's Cabin

D1) I climbed up to driver seat by using SFS and A-pillar grab handle was pretty useful and here I found the driver seat to be an inch shorter in size than XUV 700
D2) It took no time to find my correct driving position - I was set to drive within a min
D3) Ergonomically the vehicle looked sorted, I had no struggle in reaching for any buttons and I found all controls at their intuitive places or usual places
D4) Clutch is light and gears slotted perfectly each time but clutch travel is long which I got used to quickly
D5) Steering is light and precise and responded on slightest of input
D6) Wing mirrors are large and so do all rollable windows providing excellent view of surroundings
D7) I was sitting possibly at the lowest seat settings but still I could see the bonnet edges well and that along with the light steering and good visibility in the cabin makes manoeuvring such a large vehicle easy and almost effortless, including parking it

Driving

D8) Though SAs are claiming that turning radius is 5.1 metre (M) but for a 4.662 M vehicle that seems unrealistic however, it definitely seems to be turning in about 5.5 M, hence, U-turns in this will not be daunting
D9) The engine pulls vehicle's weight well without any acceleration input - please recall that 4 adults were onboard here but it still pulled - I forgot to observe the the speed but in 2nd gear it seemed to be about 15-16 and it was still pulling itself in 3rd
D10) The engine almost always had power available on demand and seemed to be best in power delivery in about 1500 to 3500 RPMs range, however, there wasn't much to extract after 4000 RPMs except the cluttering sound
D11) No jerks come through steering column when driving through potholes or speed breakers at 40kmph and cabin remains settled with minimal lateral movements however, vertical movements can be felt
D12) This car does have noticeable body roll: After taking permissions from my co-passengers I swayed the car for about, may be, 3-4 seconds, and then the tail was making screeching sound and was willing to be thrown around; I stopped right there and did not continue swaying
D13) Later I drove through two queues of parked cars taking sharp turns forming shape of numeral eight at 30-40kmph and here too the tail was being thrown around making screeching sound and rear passengers were getting unsettled. I stopped after making one eight shape.
D14) Given (D12) and (D13), I would never take sharp manoeuvre in this car beyond 80kmph, it may topple at high speeds. My SA also agreed that it can happen but he stated 150kmph as possible speed but I would not believe that and keep this car below 81kmph for any sharp manoeuvring
D15) Brakes felt good and precise but I could not test them properly as I had a kid on board
D16) I touched 130kmph twice and the car was planted and I found steering to be light to my liking but it is something which I got used to soon
D17) The headlights have average throw and may be good for speeds upto 100kmph which was way below my expectations given the headlights XUV 700 is equipped with; in these lights I would not drive beyond 80-85kmph

I will have few more drives in coming days as I did not have the kind of drive which I was looking for. However, still, this drive made me aware about it's few limitations and I am sure that there are some more waiting to be discovered.

Since I was at a showroom, I inspected XUV 700 to confirm on the earlier stated possibility of quality miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waypoint View Post
The below is what I have seen in all the Scorpio-N that I have come across till now, 3 of them.

Attachment 2328537
I need to look at XUV 700 too carefully now as something like this might be hidden there too - chances are high as this can typically happen when quality aspects were lacking in the processes. If I find such quality issues in XUV 700 too, I will cancel my booking.
And the above possibility turned into reality, XUV 700 is worse in that regard. One just need to be at eye level lower than the glovebox housing of XUV 700. I wonder what challenges M&M have in properly finishing a product, especially when fixes are as primitive as providing an appropriate plastic housing/cladding? Their argument of barring kids from front co-passenger seat looks an escapist's argument to me.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th July 2022 at 08:11. Reason: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post. Thanks.
waypoint is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 20:40   #465
BHPian

I'm really confused right now. Did a test drive of Petrol AT, and I was floored by the power. I will be upgrading from my 7-year-old 1.1 Lakh km old Ford Ecosport Diesel. I had booked a Crysta GXA earlier but this TD has prompted me to cancel that booking. With the kind of running - approximately 1500 km/month and 10-year NGT ruling in NCR does diesel make sense or should I go ahead with the Petrol?
BB311 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks