Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2022, 00:02   #631
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Doing a toss up between Z6 Diesel MT and Z4 petrol AT - I really want the automatic as it’s just 50K more than Z6 Diesel. But then again the thought of single digit fuel economy is scaring me.

Wonder why Mahindra doesn’t at least show photos/videos of the lower variants so that we at least know what we are getting for our money.
You can answer it yourself by estimating your usage. Let me simplify it for you.

Both will cost INR 18 Lacs on road in Delhi give or take. Assuming current regulations, vehicle life span in Delhi is 15 years for Petrol and 10 years for Diesel which means capex wise diesel will cost you extra INR 60,000 per year over petrol (ignoring opportunity cost and difference in maintenance costs for the time being). Lets say Diesel (at INR 90/L) will deliver 12KMPL vs Petrol (at INR 100/L) delivering 7KMPL, you need to drive approx. 9000 KM per year extra to pick diesel (and even more if we consider opportunity cost and higher maintenance costs for diesels). So take your call and book accordingly. My advice would be to go for Petrol AT. Your left knee will thank you and you will be saved from the half brained/baked "banning all things diesel" guidelines which will come into force in due course.

All the best!
TSIched'Out is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 00:32   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Doing a toss up between Z6 Diesel MT and Z4 petrol AT - I really want the automatic as it’s just 50K more than Z6 Diesel. But then again the thought of single digit fuel economy is scaring me.
Some more points to consider:

* I dislike the pain at each fuel pump visit so tend to favour diesel, but with the Scorpio N, the petrol engine is going to be significantly better than the diesel (petrol should feel similar to the XUV700 and the diesel does not - as posted in the report on the Choosing an SUV thread).
* Further the FE of the Scorpio N is likely to be quite poor even in Diesel. Petrol could well be atrocious. (some comparison to the XUV700 diesel on the above-mentioned report). The XUV700 petrol is poor to start with, and the Scorpio N being further lower might feel too painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
...Assuming current regulations, vehicle life span in Delhi is 15 years for Petrol and 10 years for Diesel which means capex wise diesel will cost you extra INR 60,000 per year over petrol ...
To add to this, also consider:
* Diesel can be sold at just before 10 years to a buyer outside Delhi/NCR, so the depreciation loss might be lesser than calculated above.
* The above becomes easier if your car is registered in a different state as for Gurgaon or Noida etc.
* If you anyway intend to keep the car for 9-10 years, the main difference between diesel and petrol depreciation would be the extra hassle (and cost) of selling it out of the city. A diesel one is likely to fetch a better price, but that is only a guess.

~~~~~

The above, of course, goes for a toss with another ruling from NGT. Rather painful how an unelected body can just come up with such rulings and make one give away a well-functioning diesel vehicle duly registered for 15 years in 10 years.

OT:
While it questionably helps the pollution levels significantly in Delhi, the environmental-unfriendly waste created in manufacturing the car are not optimally used by forcefully junking cars well before their good-life only based on age.

Last edited by Poitive : 23rd July 2022 at 00:51. Reason: Refinement, added link.
Poitive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 01:39   #633
BHPian

Mod Note:
Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread.
We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to the discussion.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd July 2022 at 14:43. Reason: Please see the moderator note!
achilles101 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd July 2022, 02:02   #634

Went for a TD with my family in my hometown in Maharashtra, there were somethings that were clear in my mind before the visit.
1. AT would be preferred
2. The car is going to be for my family and I had to keep future needs in mind.
We went and were provided a Z8L AT trim to TD. We also took a manual AX5 XUV700 for a ride and did an analysis between both.

Scorpio
  1. Felt premium and the interiors were nice. It gave a very commanding view of the road. Mom loved the extra legroom in middle row (was given considering our current car is an i10 magna which is roughly 10 YO)
  2. The sunroof felt puny compared to XUV700, mom loved it initially but liked the sunroof XUV700 more.
  3. Mom and me liked the macho styling of the Scorpio, though I got to admit the initial reports and opinions of the rear looking ugly were 100% true and my mom was the first one to pick on that. Maybe it was the color but the rear of scorpion is ugly, in her words "it looked a taxi vehicle"
  4. The Rear seats and luggage space are a joke. XUV definitely wins here hands down. One advantage of XUV is we can fold rear seat partially to have 6 sitting and extra luggage. For scorpio you can either seat 7 people uncomfortably or put some luggage in.
  5. The electronic kit was new and I quite liked it. Especially since i was thrown off by driving AT first time. The rear cameras etc. helped.
  6. The suspensions were good but not magical, the amount of body roll was very noticeable. My mom didn't like it but she was okay with it. Surprisingly we couldn't make out a lot of difference between this and XUV700 except the body roll was much more noticeable in scorpion
  7. I liked the green color the most. Given black and white are common and come with their own headaches Green was the best of the lot for me and my family. My father though wanted to go for white.
  8. As much as i loved it the looks were pretty okayish IMO. Yes it looks imposing but the looks wear out after a while
  9. The premium for AT and 4wd are too much. While 4wd was not even close to the must have list I wanted to see if i could squeeze it in by stretching my budget but 2.45 is a no go. Surprisingly the premium for AT was soo much that my father convinced me against it. Given the traffic in my hometown is non existent and the vehicle would mostly do highway runs, my father said there was no need for AT. I agreed half-heartedly and the bookings in my small town basically seem to reconfirm his angle.
  10. Waiting times are at this point impossible to predict. The assumption is if everything goes well the earliest we would get our car would be sometime next year. Given we were no where close to the Z8L model budget wise we had no hope seeing the car in the next 6 months.
XUV700
  1. After the price reveal I was sure that my dream car wouldn't fit in our budget so I turned to XUV700. It was the best car for all our use cases.
  2. The Monocoque chassis was the best for our choice of terrain. As much as I'd want to do offroading the car would be limited to highway runs and there was no pressing need for a BOF style chassis. I wanted too but I didn't need it.
  3. The bodyroll was considerably lower. Suspensions were on par IMO but I couldn't understand the differences so I'd say no comments on this particular aspect.
  4. The car felt more premium, my dad loved it and so did my sister. Looks wise both internally and externally XUV700 was better and in a word 'posh' instead of macho. The white (which is what my father wants) looks ultra premium and the subtle chrome finishes etc. make this a better looker. The rear also looks miles better than Scorpio.
  5. The luggage space feels much bigger than scorpion and the option of partially folding rear seats makes this a no nonsense option.
  6. Unofficially I was quoted around 3-6 months to get AX5 MT petrol delivered. This was reasonable for me and the had the exact same model in a different color available for deliver.
  7. The car has spent much more time in the market. Little niggles and problems would've been sorted out from my understanding. The comment on this thread about introductory pricing being slightly low due to expected niggles in a brand new product was in my mind and this is what caused me to lean towards XUV700
  8. Oh and before I forget, my sister absolutely loved the Panoramic sunroof in XUV700.
Given all this points we have decided to go with AX5 Petrol MT version for XUV700 instead of the Scorpio-N. I would love to hear the forums opinion on the choice. Some doubts I have now
  1. Would it be better to get MX variant and add accessories?
  2. Is AT worth extra 2 lakhs? Given the run would be in small town and highways. I felt the clutch and gear shifts we very smooth in XUV700.
  3. Any major miss on choosing petrol?

Would appreciate any help. In any case scorpion is running very close to XUV700 price points and has very less to show for it. Low luggage space, cramped 3 row, pricy 4WD limits the amount of off roading work you can extract out of it are just some of the things I observed.
kanahanin is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 06:06   #635
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanahanin View Post
Some doubts I have now
  2. Is AT worth extra 2 lakhs? Given the run would be in small town and highways. I felt the clutch and gear shifts we very smooth in XUV700.
  3. Any major miss on choosing petrol?

Would appreciate any help. In any case scorpion is running very close to XUV700 price points and has very less to show for it. Low luggage space, cramped 3 row, pricy 4WD limits the amount of off roading work you can extract out of it are just some of the things I observed.
Great observations here, With respect to your doubts:

If your budget allows it to go for the AX5, else if you only need features on the MX, you may go with it, but the list of features of AX5 over MX are quite a lot though:(listed below)
· Dual HD 26.03 cm
(10.25“) Infotainment and
26.03 cm (10.25“)
Digital Cluster screens
· Navigation
· Amazon Alexa Built-in
· Wireless Android AutoTM
· Wireless Apple CarPlay
Compatibility
· AdrenoX Connect with 1 yr
free subscription
· 6 Speakers with Sound
Staging
· 3rd row AC*
· 2nd row seat with armrest
and cup holder*
· 2nd row 60:40 One-Touch
Tumble*
· Flexible Boot Space (3rd row
50:50 split with recline)*
· Personalized Safety Alerts
· LED DRL
· Fog Lamps
· Rear Wiper & defogger
· Selective Unlock
· R17 Diamond Cut Alloy
· Skyroof
· LED Clear-view Headlamps
with Auto Booster
· Latest Gen Electronic
Stability Program*
· Drive Mode*
· Curtain Airbags for all rows
· LED Sequential turn
indicators
· Cornering Lamp
· 2nd row Map lamp

It depends on how much you value the convenience of an AT. Given that you feel comfortable with the Manual, go with it.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 07:42   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
A 30 lakhs OTR Bangalore Scorpio! Never thought I’ll see that.
Inflation and a combination of other factors continue to raise prices. I know people who paid around 55 big ones for a Fortuner and 14 big ones for an i20.
Old 23rd July 2022, 10:37   #637
BHPian

Having owned a Scorpio CRDe (2005-2013), a XUV 500 (2013 - now) and Innova Crysta G AT (2022), I strongly believe that expecting a car to last 15 years is not practical. Choosing petrol over diesel in Delhi NCR just because the registration life is 15 years, we ignore many other aspects. Once these cars cross 1lac mileage and about 10 years irrespective of mileage, overall fitness deteriorates. You feel like changing the car and some things like rust, parts not being available etc force you. Now, when the change to EVs is unavoidable, it makes sense to buy a diesel and change in within the 10 years to an EV.
slylenser is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 10:38   #638
BHPian

Is it possible to buy the Scorpio N Z6 and convert the middle seats into captain seats that slide? That would meet my requirement perfectly, and save several lacs over the Z8L (6)
slylenser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 11:05   #639
BHPian

30 lakh Scorpio. Wow. A couple of price hikes and it would have quietly replaced the position of the Alturas in the Mahindra line-up. No takers for the Alturas in past couple of years however competent it may have been, but the Mahindra marketing has made the Scorpio into an all conquering sub-brand. Have to give it to them.
achyutaghosh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 11:12   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
30 lakh Scorpio. Wow. A couple of price hikes and it would have quietly replaced the position of the Alturas in the Mahindra line-up. No takers for the Alturas in past couple of years however competent it may have been, but the Mahindra marketing has made the Scorpio into an all conquering sub-brand. Have to give it to them.
Perfect observation. They are charging a premium for the brand and expect to get enough customers willing to pay for it. And depending on the success of this, I will not be surprised if they would be selling 4WD AT versions at a premium to XUV after a year or so.

Just as a side bar, just saw on new Brezza thread that its AT has a premium of 1.5L!! In that context, 1.96L for scorpio looks ok :-)

Last edited by alokk0912 : 23rd July 2022 at 11:27.
Old 23rd July 2022, 11:46   #641
BHPian

Pricing AT and 4WD at a steep premium especially when people have comparable set of numbers from the same manufacturer (XUV7OO) is a pricing mistake IMHO. While INR slide from 73 to 80 against USD (considering AT and 4WD modules are imported) may have some part to play here, such a steep increase especially on AT variants (vs XUV7OO) is not digestible. M&M had a tried and tested strategy of shocking introductory price coupled with incremental escalations in a short period of time (which worked brilliantly for both XUV5OO and XUV7OO). However, they have missed the woods for the trees here. Nobody would have stopped M&M from increasing the prices once they get initial 25K bookings in 55 mins (with website not accessible for 54 mins). And those incremental increases would have continued every quarter thereon once they got a good start (XUV7OO now costs more than couple of lacs on the road over introductory prices across variants that too without delivering the initial bookings). And they anyways would have capped their downside on the lower margins of initial 20-25K deliveries, which BTW is also manageable by delaying the variants with thin margins (looks like they are doing it for XUV7OO). Sadly that's not the case here.

Also, someone made a comment about the True Scorpio fans would buy it nevertheless. Well, I am not sure if they will like/understand existing Scorpio taken to the power of N (both in terms of design and price). And they will always have Classic to fall back on.

Hence, I believe the sophisticated (and value conscious; and TBHP member) customer who wants AT, safety and creature comforts but found value in Scorpio N basis initial euphoria may still choose XUV7OO over Scorpio N. For the erstwhile core market, lower trims (Z2/4/6 MTs and Z4 MT-4WD) would tick all the boxes (with side facing seats thrown in after GNCAP is done).

So the question is, will Scorpio N bring in volumes for M&M just like XUV7OO/5OO? We will have our answer in the next few months. Until then, consider it a lottery: invest INR 2,100 (10% cancellation fee) on 30th July and save a lac or two after taking delivery if it turns out to be a success. All the best!

Last edited by TSIched'Out : 23rd July 2022 at 11:54.
TSIched'Out is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 12:30   #642
BHPian

This might be some unpopular opinion here, but the 1.96 lakh difference between MT and AT for the Z4 Variant is actually not bad at all. Higher tune engine in the diesel version, plus safety tech. So the 1.96 lakh premium can be justified. For Z6, MT and AT price difference is not justified. The same features, but a 1.96 lakh premium for convenience of Automatic.

I was expecting a shocker of an introductory price for the AT and 4X4 variants as well. But the current pricing was somewhat expected.
I was never considering Z8 or Z8L anyway.
It will be interesting to know what the ratio of MT to AT is and also 4X2 to 4x4.
Not the bookings, but the actual deliveries.

I am in a state of limbo now. I have a Thar Diesel AT Hardtop now, but with all things considered, I want to switch to a Scorpio-N Z4 AT (yes, 4x4 to 4x2 sadly).
When will Scorpio-N deliveries begin, given that Z4 is the second base variant?

Another issue I face here is, It is extremely difficult to sell a Automatic and 15-16 lakh plus car here in Assam.
So, the timing of selling the old and getting the new car will be a gamble.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 23rd July 2022 at 12:37.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 12:55   #643
BHPian

Actively hunting for a second-first car, first being a Maruti hatchback, no guts venturing out on highway drives. I'm looking at Petrol SUVs alone.
Test drove XUV 700 and Scorpio-N back to back on Friday and i still feel Scorpio-N is VFM compared to my second only choice of Kia Carens. Carens Luxury Plus is 22 lakhs on road Bangalore vs Z8L G AT at 26.5 lakhs. Price as quoted by carwale.com. I get a much safer SUV and commanding driving position. Exact same driving position that we loved earlier in our 2014 CR-V (Sold).

Scorpio-N vs XUV 700 observations
1. Scorpio had 2k in odo vs XUV at 15k kms
2. Slight seat vibrations in XUV vs nil in Scorpio.
3. Super silent inside Scorpio vs slight engine growl in XUV
4. XUV audio for same song played from spotify with same 3D sound setting, felt much better in XUV.
5. Scorpio-N is just a four seater, second row middle seat is not comfortable. Didnt test in XUV
6. Scorpio second row comfort is miles better than new gen Thar. Me or my family wont complain for long drives. XUV not tested.
7. Drove both cars in same roads and traffic conditions. Not much difference, both are fantastic to drive and take U-Turns.
8. Scorpio had wierd door lock issue. Looks a design flaw.
9. No speed sense door lock in Scorpio-N. Big safety miss. I'm writing this as sales advisor asked me to manually lock before the drive. Not sure if point 8 and 9 are related.
10. Driver vision Scorpio over XUV, me and my wife 5'10 and 5'8, ergonomically both are cars felt comforting.
11. Third row useless in both.
12. Can install roof rack in Scorpio whereas XUV you cant.
13 Must to upgrade: rear and front camera quality grainy in Scorpio. .
14. Must to upgrade: Speakers

Point 12 sealed our decision towards Scorpio.
vinbie2019 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 13:21   #644
BHPian

Just a correction, the last row of the scorpioN does have a hook hidden in a small pocket underneath the seat which is to be engaged in the second row headrest to avoid the third row from tumbling over on the luggage.

I have a Xylo E9 and a similar seat configuration and also a similar hook in a now 10 year old vehicle. Why would Mahindra not provide something in a new vehicle which it did in a vehicle 10 years back or may be even more.

Considering the cost of the XUV7OO AX7L MT variant and the cost of the AX7L AWD AT, the difference is around 3 lacs. While estimating the cost of Scorpio N, i had expected the cost to be higher than Z8L MT by a similar margin but it turned out to be around 1.5L more. I would have wanted the 4x4 AT variant to be around 22.49 or 22.99L but the cost is higher by around 90K compared with the higher expected price. If we consider the price difference of AWD XUV7OO which is 3 lacs then the cost of similar variant in ScorpioN seem justified given that it comes with a proper 4x4 system with low range gear box and 4 modes which would be way more capable than the XUV7OO AWD.

A person ready to buy the ScorpioN with all the hardware for around 27L OTR would not hesitate much if the price goes a tad beyond 28L. i have added the Z8L AT 4x4 model in Dazzling Silver as wife and son don't want another white colour (Xylo is already in pearl white). Black looks ravishing but unfortunately we don't buy black things (except some things which are unavoidable) so that colour is ruled out. Green also looks good and a unique one but it needs to be seen on road.

Having lived with a Xylo (2nd Gen) for almost 10 years now, i am sure the Scorpio hardware will not disappoint. Wife still has the XUV7OO in her mind but i have 1 vote more of my son on my side so I am sure the election or selection would be won by me.

Regards,
rahulya007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 14:57   #645
BHPian

Need some advise- Since the Z6 has the same infotainment system as the Z8, will it be possible to get the Z6 variant and have the rear camera and TPMS incorporated with after market accessories? Will this be possible and does it make sense?

Also since I have recently attained Senior Citizen status, I was keen on getting an Automatic. However seeing the price differential of almost 2.5 lakhs and also considering that the clutch on the Scorpio during the test drive was quite light , is it wise to consider the MT at my age with the Knees getting a bit wobbly. To put it in perspective I have been driving MT cars for the last 30 years and love them.
Ganapathy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks