Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 12:14   #691
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Hi
Rather mundane question - anyone who went for test drive/physical visit can confirm whether the Z8/Z8L trims have Pre-tinted / UV protection factory fitted glass all round? Having rather sensitive skin, have suffered at hands of traffic police with Scorpio classic a few times all over India for having them... Trust Mahindra has hopefully taken care of it this time
Cheers
Old 25th July 2022, 12:41   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I was checking the Insurance price on Acko or Digit website which was coming close to 81K with all important coverage added with GST for a showroom price of 22.5 Lacs for comprehensive coverage. Why is it so high with the dealer...so much commission ? Surprisingly the cost of RTO is way cheaper in Gujarat than what it is in Mumbai. Straight saving of 2+ Lacs on the top end Z8L D AT 4x4 variant.
Yes, we do enjoy a lower tax rate in Gujarat. I guess it is at 6% whereas Maharashtra levies 15% for cars costing above 20L.

I do agree the dealer is charging almost double for insurance. I will have to talk to him for me getting insurance outside. With a new and hot launch, he may or may not agree.
Old 25th July 2022, 12:45   #693
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
I do agree the dealer is charging almost double for insurance. I will have to talk to him for me getting insurance outside. With a new and hot launch, he may or may not agree.
You can get insurance from wherever you want, there is nothing as such for the dealer to agree or not agree, IRDA regulations provide you the freedom to choose which car insurance you want.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 13:04   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I echo most of your sentiments here, being a Xylo owner myself. I did not feel the engine point you mentioned as i was rather cautious while driving the Diesel AT available for TD, not being used to an AT setup. Felt the cabin to be comparatively silent with good insulation.
Booking will start from 30th July and deliveries are going to start from 26th Sept. I would wait for at least first 2 batches to be rolled out and the initial niggles getting addressed.
Check the cost of the accessories that you wish to fit at the dealer level and compare the price difference in Z8 and Z8L before taking that call. Doesn't make sense fiddling with your new baby even if it is done from a dealer. that's my view. Though the driver side under seat storage from Xylo is a miss and so is a hidden compartment under the co-passenger seat. Xylo E9 also comes with puddle lamps on all 4 doors which are also a miss in the Scorpio.
You are absolutely right! I have the same E9 version which has the puddle lamps The car had lot of features which are really relevant even today.

The accessories roughly come around 1 lakh (alloys, fog lamps, brown seat covers, rear camera) which is still a lakh and half cheaper than the Z8. Projector lamps are the only thing which cannot be retrofitted in the Z6.

The e9 I have is the 2012 which had sorted out lot of things from the earlier xylo, hence the apprehension of the first lot. They always sort out things in the second one.

The ingress to the third row was also a bit cumbersome, there is a small elevation which is an additional workout to get to the last row.
chinmaypillay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:10   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Rear wiper/defogger is a must in India.
I personally feel rear wiper/defogger is only good to have feature. The wiper coverage area is usually very low and without that also the rear glass never became opaque.In India people are used to loading the the boot to the roof and block the view, and due to this we have developed a skill to utilise the rear view mirrors for traffic coming from behind.

It is very much possible to get it installed aftermarket (there are many youtube videos) and the only downside is to get a hole drilled in the fiber boot door.
Old 25th July 2022, 15:29   #696
BHPian

Yesterday, went with the family to the NBS Chowpatty showroom. There were 3-4 families who had come to check out the ScorpioN.
The staff were very courteous and prompt in completing the formalities and providing the TDs.
Since my XUV700 D AT booking shows a delivery date of Feb-March 2024(!!), thought of checking out the ScorpioN and had added it to the Cart too.
We TDd the XUV P AT first and my family checked out the middle row to feel any bumps while I purposely drove over some manholes (unfortunately, there were no potholes on the Chowpatty stretch). They said they didn't feel any.
We then TDd the Scorpion P AT and took the same route. Same smooth ride over the manhole depressions.
By the time we got down from the ScorpioN, our unanimous decision was to go for the XUV700.
The key dealbreakers which ruled out the ScorpioN for us were:
1. Difficult Ingress and Egress compared to the XUV700.
2. Middle seat slightly smaller than the one in the XUV700.Three persons sitting abreast, were most comfortable in the XUV700 than in the Scorpion.
3. Third row bench seat without the 50:50 split; and the tumbledown feature provided, would be a big constraint for proper luggage space.

The ScorpioN would be a great vehicle for those who love off roading - fun to drive no doubt. But the XUV700 would be the ideal family vehicle, comfortable and equally smooth on the road.

I am sincerely hoping that in the coming months, some of the people who had booked the XUV700 will cancel their bookings and plonk for the ScorpioN, thereby expediting the homecoming of my AX7 D AT! Wishful thinking no doubt.
2024 is too far, so we plan to check out the Grand Vitara Hybrid and the Hyundai Tucson.
Best wishes to all those booking the ScorpioN on the 30th of July!
rambomumbai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:44   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaypillay View Post
You are absolutely right! I have the same E9 version which has the puddle lamps The car had lot of features which are really relevant even today.

The accessories roughly come around 1 lakh (alloys, fog lamps, brown seat covers, rear camera) which is still a lakh and half cheaper than the Z8. Projector lamps are the only thing which cannot be retrofitted in the Z6.

The e9 I have is the 2012 which had sorted out lot of things from the earlier xylo, hence the apprehension of the first lot. They always sort out things in the second one.

The ingress to the third row was also a bit cumbersome, there is a small elevation which is an additional workout to get to the last row.
Even mine is Oct 2012 model and the third row seat in xylo is unparalleled. Wife is still not able to accept that ScorpioN, as and when we go for it, will not have that kind of space as Xylo. This vehicle has spoiled us badly in terms of space for occupants..
On the issues, absolutely correct. A friend had the first version and even his propeller was also changed in warranty along with many other things..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddibuddy View Post
I personally feel rear wiper/defogger is only good to have feature. The wiper coverage area is usually very low and without that also the rear glass never became opaque.In India people are used to loading the the boot to the roof and block the view, and due to this we have developed a skill to utilise the rear view mirrors for traffic coming from behind.

It is very much possible to get it installed aftermarket (there are many Youtube videos) and the only downside is to get a hole drilled in the fiber boot door.
I somehow do not agree on this wiper point. Vehicles who have a boot like sedan obviously do not need it. But SUVs definitely need it as the spray from rear wheels during the wet drives get accumulated on the rear windshield. People do not every time stock so much luggage to block the rear windshield in the IRVM but muck and road water in monsoons definitely create visibility issues. Even hatchbacks need it for that matter…

MOD NOTE : You have been repeatedly requested to either edit or multi-quote(QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th July 2022 at 16:29. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 25th July 2022, 16:04   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddibuddy View Post
I miss this feature in my sedan, so I am assuming this is essential in an SUV! There have been so many times when I have longed for a rear defogger and wiper when driving during foggy mornings of north India. People in India are accustomed to driving without a number of safety features (e.g. folded ORVMs). Doesn't mean they aren't essential.
Old 25th July 2022, 17:02   #699
BHPian

Yesterday I finally managed to go the showroom to check out the car.

It is indeed big a vehicle footprint wise. The paint quality is very good. Both the colors in which i believe the Scorpio N looks the best were on display which are black and the dark green.

The doors shut with a reassuring thud but then the first thing that i could feel is how flimsy the door opening grab handles feel. I don't think this has been pointed out by anyone here in the forum or I have missed it. Also one thing was glaring was the not so perfect stitching of the leatherette seats though i absolutely adored the coffee brown color scheme.

Coming to the interiors- the boot interior plastic and the the plastics in general especially the top part of the doors and dashboard are scratchy, when you tap them sounds hollow-ish. Was a real turnoff.

Overall a very good car at a good price offering almost all the things i want. But somehow i don't think this car is for me as a gut feeling. I did not feel special when i sat inside the car. I have not driven the car yet though.

For reference- I drive a 6 year old Ford Figo 1.5 Tdci and every time even now in all these years when i give her a good wash and take her out for that early morning coffee (when NCR roads are devoid of traffic) she makes me feel special.
jackofsome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:16   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoz View Post
I miss this feature in my sedan, so I am assuming this is essential in an SUV! There have been so many times when I have longed for a rear defogger and wiper when driving during foggy mornings of north India. People in India are accustomed to driving without a number of safety features (e.g. folded ORVMs). Doesn't mean they aren't essential.

I am driving from past 30 years without them.But one size does not fit all.So, everyone has their own list of essentials.

Hope I don't ever get stranded in the middle of the road during night due to my non-folding ORVMs.
Old 25th July 2022, 19:03   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Hi
Rather mundane question - anyone who went for test drive/physical visit can confirm whether the Z8/Z8L trims have Pre-tinted / UV protection factory fitted glass all round? Having rather sensitive skin, have suffered at hands of traffic police with Scorpio classic a few times all over India for having them... Trust Mahindra has hopefully taken care of it this time
Cheers
Towards the beginning of the year there was a 'Safety glazing' amendment to the motor vehicle rules and that created some confusion as to whether sun film is now allowed or not.

The creator of this confusion appears to be this factory(glass) applied glazing on the glass that is now allowed. Earlier the tinting material was added into the glass, now it is applied over it. So you can make thinner glass while maintaining some of the properties of the thicker glass.

A long winded answer - Yes, Scorpio N uses this tinted glass, its thinner than older models but darker than a normal tempered glass of that thickness.
Kosfactor is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 20:40   #702
BHPian

Can anyone provide exact information about the 4WD mechanism in Z4 Diesel MT 4WD ?
Since 4EXPLOR Terrain modes, MLD & BLD are not available in this Z4 Model, is it going to be the good old Lever Operated 4x4 Offroader ?
Is there a Test Drive Vehicle available in any Dealership for Z4 Diesel MT 4WD ?
Old 25th July 2022, 21:33   #703
BHPian

Why Ground Clearance of Mahindra Scorpio is less than Kia Seltos or Hyundai Creta? || GC of a Car. / AB Ventures

Source: AB Ventures

Got a very nice video on YouTube explaining officially announced lower ground clearance of Scorpio. It cleared few confusion for me, though the video is on previous generation Scorpio.

Last edited by Arinmech : 25th July 2022 at 21:35.
Arinmech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 23:49   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
I would like to share my views on comparison of ScorpioN with Kia Carens since I have booked the Luxury+ 1.4P DCT variant and waiting for the same:

Compared to Carens, following noticeable features are missing in ScorpioN:
  • Ventilated seats
  • Paddle shifters
  • AC vents in 3rd row
  • Cup holders in 3rd row
  • 12V charging point in front
  • Sliding option in 2nd row seats

So, even though my heart wants a ScorpioN, the mind and my family say go for Carens for all the practical aspects and features we get over ScorpioN.
If I were you and wanted a 7 seater, I would surely look for a car which has a better safety rating. Carens we know has scored poorly and therefore should be your last choice.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 01:30   #705
BHPian

Meanwhile, https://www.financialexpress.com/exp...-tech/2605728/

"Using the scalable AI-based Snapdragon Cockpit Platforms, the Scorpio-N is said to provide a new level of personalisation and natural interaction between a vehicle and its driver, as well as virtual assistance, and ultra-HD, and immersive audio and visual experiences among a host of other features for drivers and passengers."

Hope the stutters and crashes are fixed. In the TD vehicle (Scorpio N) itself, the display was crashing and some features stopped working. The SA's excuse was "Sir, lot of people abuse the TD car, so these software issues occur." Me: "Sure".
AZ911 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks