Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 19:51   #721
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
My wife is 5'3"ish and she was comfortable in the 3rd row.
People of this height should find it comfortable for some time but still the under thigh support would not be adequate as even a 5 ft. person will seat with knees up. But for lying down it shouldn't be an issue for even a 5.5 ft person. Depends on the use-case.

Quote:
For instance, Mahindra has not given Auto dimming IRVMS in XUV700 (any feature for that matter) even after 9+ months of its launch, so there is very less chance of them adding above features in Scorpio-N (in next one year)

And FYI, there is inclination for 2nd row seats.

peace
Mahindra, may not make changes until all the backlog is cleared as it might lead to losses for the manufacturer and bad reputation in the market if existing orders are not completed and cosmetic changes are introduced which will definitely not come free of cost owing to change in assembly lines. I also wonder, why is an auto-dimming mirror so important that every vlogger or even here, people speak of it. Just a press of a small latch is all it takes to use the dimming function. Why so much talk about it then ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
My bad, I meant Curb weight, looks to be some sort of auto correct, can't edit the post now.
Scorpio-N should definitely be heavier by 150-200 kgs. owing to higher mass of the chassis and rear differential and propeller. With the 4x4 hardware, it should be even bulkier by 50-100 kgs. The bonnet itself is like 23-25 kgs.
rahulya007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:30   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
My bad, I meant Curb weight, looks to be some sort of auto correct, can't edit the post now.
Quoting posts from the Choosing an SUV thread and the XUV thread below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Some observations, notes, and guesses about the ScorpioN
  • Fuel Efficiency: A significantly lower FE than the XUV700 due to it being a bit heavier at about 1900kgs vs the 1742 to ~1800 kgs of the XUV700; worse aerodynamics (greater height and width, also A pillar is...
  • Torque: For Diesel and Petrol MT both of which are 370Nm, Torque to weight ratio calculated at 1900kgs is ~195 Nm/Tonne. Hector and Harrier are about 207, Compass at 211 and XUV700 at about 233....
    The 195 vs 233Nm/tonne would likely feel significant while driving, unless the gear ratios are lower. If they are, it might further hit FE....
Let us see how it eventually pans out. Comparing the above guesses with the Test Drive experiences would be fun.
The 1742kgs was based on:
Quote:
Originally Posted by talha View Post
The Unladen Weight is mentioned to be 1742kg in RC, for variant AX7L AT (Petrol).
The 1900kgs is based on Mr. Valuswamy from Mahindra mentioning it in passing in the launch presentation. Specific details were not mentioned then. More specific details (with variant specification) are welcome

Last edited by Poitive : 26th July 2022 at 20:32. Reason: Formatting
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:31   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I also wonder, why is an auto-dimming mirror so important that every vlogger or even here, people speak of it. Just a press of a small latch is all it takes to use the dimming function. Why so much talk about it then ?
I was just replying to the previous post with an example since he was expecting they make changes to the boot, 2nd row and 3rd row inclination, seat movement and 50:50 split for last row seats of ScorpioN.

Mahindra has not given 12V socket in the front or middle row of XUV700 or ScorpioN. Opps sorry, such a small thing, we shouldn't be talking about it
sulliavi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 21:55   #724
BHPian

Quote:
I was just replying to the previous post with an example since he was expecting they make changes to the boot, 2nd row and 3rd row inclination, seat movement and 50:50 split for last row seats of ScorpioN.

Mahindra has not given 12V socket in the front or middle row of XUV700 or ScorpioN. Opps sorry, such a small thing, we shouldn't be talking about it
Enjoyed the quote!

Truly sellers market. When they have a waiting period of 2 years for some of their models, why would they bother? However, I am just wondering if they have any other reasons for these design decisions? Most of these feature are minor ones in the lerger scheme of things.

Last edited by alokk0912 : 26th July 2022 at 21:57.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 22:20   #725
BHPian

The costing mathematics is:

INR 5000/- saved due to omission of 12 VDC 180 Watt charging socket in the front console and elsewhere (and a higher rated fuse on board, higher electronics rating) + Auto IRVM+ ZYZ common features expected in ~ 2 million INR car X 24 months (waiting period) X 6000 units per month production capacity= 720 million INR saved.

Please treat this as an example and no need to consider it as actual case.

For a car buyer with purchasing power of 20-25 million INR, 5000/- price increase is almost next to nothing. However, for the manufacturing company it is a huge sum of money saved.

Only handful of technically oriented users will complain about absence of 12 VDC charging socket in the front section/ console of the car, and a single socket of 120 Watt (10 Amp capacity) in rear wall of 3rd row. If at all an180 Watt socket is possible to install from aftermarket, I shall have a strict administrative access control for the usage of these sockets to safeguard the power electronics.
Old 26th July 2022, 22:44   #726
BHPian

Early on these 12V sockets were primarily used for accessories like chargers, tyre inflators or may be car refrigerators. With USB ports (B,C etc.) coming in almost all cars which serves the purpose of phone charging, plugging an accessory and tubeless tyres reducing the dependency on tyre inflators to a larger extent, the usage primarily remains for the refrigerator which is typically kept in the boot. USB ports tend to solve most of the accessories requirements for power plugs. Even rechargeable tyre inflators are available nowadays..there are battery operated portable car washers too possibly killing the use of the 12v lighter sockets. Most of the accessories which come with that type of a plug usually have 3-5 mtrs of cable with it which can be plugged at the rear of the car and taken to the front with ease.

What savings it brings or potential electrical issues arising out of its misuse can also be a reason for providing minimum of such ports.

In olden days, cars were crude or without much electronic fanfare. With ECUs taking up more responsibilities and cars becoming more gadget savvy, i feel its fare to not provide too many of sockets to avoid expensive damage to car electronics.

Last edited by rahulya007 : 26th July 2022 at 22:46. Reason: More info addition
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 00:13   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Good decision I would say. I am 5'9" and 3rd row was definitely not for me. My daughter is 5'3" and she was all right and I think it should be ok for short distances. However, as you mentioned, it is very subjective.
Thanks for your feedback on the 3rd row. I will take a call after seeing it in person. The tallest person in my family after me (I am 5'9) is just about 5'3. So all down to actual experience sitting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Was planning to book Scorpio N but cancelled as its not meant for 7 people or to carry luggage which Carens can easily do. So will not end up booking Scorpio N and would leave it in cart. Security wise it is 3 star rated, But it checks all the boxes in terms of space, features and comfort. Also its within the budget, will get it 4 lakhs cheaper than the Z4 i was booking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
Completely agree. I was also tempted to cancel my Carens booking for ScorpioN. But on checking the ScorpioN physically, apart from the road-presence and commanding seating position, it did not check other boxes in terms of space, features and practicality.

Z8 Petrol AT was the one I was looking at, which is comparable to Carens 1.4P DCT Luxury Plus. But looking at the ScorpioN AT prices and the lack of features and convenience even in Z8 compared to that in Carens, decided to abandon the cart and will not book the ScorpioN.
I can fully relate to your reasoning as I was in a similar boat till a few days ago. But my use case is slightly different. Its primarily for my parents who will be using it for 90% of time. The 3rd row will only be used by my kids (8 and 12 yrs) when we visit India once a year and have 3 or 4 trips with parents etc. So safety of my parents was paramount and since they dont drive, we are at the mercy of drivers all the time. I wouldn’t be able to live with the constant fear of owning a "less safe" vehicle that will be used by my parents. For self driven use cases, this may not be such an issue. Besides, our drive will be 80% highways, so safety becomes more critical I feel.

Having said that, I am not hung up on ScorpioN. It may not be the vehicle for me and I will take a call after physcially experiencing it in Aug.
Have kep my options open for now, others in the list are:
1. Marazzo (but diesel and DPF related issues nag me especially when my parents are not auto experts at all)
2. XUV700 AX5 Petrol: Out of budget for now, but may need to stretch if nothing else works
3. Used Innova Crysta
4. Used Hexa AT

If none of the above work out, I will put my money in for the Grand Vitara and hire a taxi when 7 seating is needed.

Quote:
My wife is 5'3"ish and she was comfortable in the 3rd row.
Quote:
People of this height should find it comfortable for some time but still the under thigh support would not be adequate as even a 5 ft. person will seat with knees up. But for lying down it shouldn't be an issue for even a 5.5 ft person. Depends on the use-case.
Thanks for your feedback. I am pinning my hopes on the fact that average height in our family is quite low. Not too concerned about luggage space with all 3 rows up, we can always consider a roof carrier.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th July 2022 at 09:36. Reason: Very minor edit.
Old 27th July 2022, 05:23   #728

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanahanin View Post
Would appreciate any help. In any case scorpion is running very close to XUV700 price points and has very less to show for it. Low luggage space, cramped 3 row, pricy 4WD limits the amount of off roading work you can extract out of it are just some of the things I observed.
So I have an interesting observation on your post, I heard a lot of Mom, Dad & Sis. Seems the missus & kids are not configured yet but when they come in the equation the requirements turn on the heads, the comfort, safety and flexibility that the kids require is entirely different than the paternal set of folks. Also adding my 2 cents to your doubt, I get the Top 2 Functional requirements as follows.

1. You have highway use with low local traffic - AT won’t suit as it would hit the mileage as well considering that the ScorpioN bottom AT has hydraulic steering, AT fuel spend, ethanol mix the AT bottom is gonna give you 3-5 KM less than MT.

2. You want an SUV - Mahindra’s are good IMO, Toyotas are super overpriced and they have body roll as well, even Alcazar. I see trails of ORs about how amazing and reliable Toyotas are but I think the markets should be future looking. Buying Cretas & Innova’s just coz they were good for the past 15 year does not warranty the will perform the same in the next 15 years holding that the market exerts the same pressure on all players. May be Toyotas/Suzukis/Hyundais are cutting corners we just don’t know yet.

The amount of Kia’s & Creta’s I see is like I used to see M800s when I was a kid.

Everything else I feel is 19/20 (unnis bees)

Last edited by Sheel : 27th July 2022 at 07:51. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
warbug is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 08:14   #729

Very nice comparison.

+ Scorpio N :
Absolutely Loved the front and side look, very imposing.
The seats are very commanding.
Brown seats and dashboards are more premium and practical

-ve Scorpio N :
The pricing for 4Xplor model is completely off the mark. I was hoping the top of the line scorpio to be cheaper by at least 3 lakhs if not more than the XUV700, given what all it miss over XUV.

The design of 3rd row seat is completely lame. They could've gone for Innova like side up seats if front facing 3rd row is required for NCAP.

Given the size, two side cameras would have been great value as 360 degree . Front camera is also only for the top end. doesn't make sense.

Don't know why M&M doesn't have 2nd and 3rd row sliding seats. makes a lot of sense for SUV to optimize space.
tkumarabhishek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:09   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
Its primarily for my parents who will be using it for 90% of time.
If it's for your parents, do check ingress and egress very carefully. It's a high vehicle and you need sidesteps and grab handles to get in/out. Also check the body roll in the back seat. It has improved leaps and bounds over the outgoing model, but that doesn't mean it's an ideal car for being chauffered around.

Scorpio N's target audience seems to be young brats who mostly drive alone or with a sidekick, Gujjar proudly written on the back, who want to make a big impression.

It may not be ideal for elderly folks.

Last edited by naru80 : 27th July 2022 at 10:15.
naru80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:24   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
Its primarily for my parents who will be using it for 90% of time.
If it is primarily for your parents, then you should definitely check it out physically even before having ScorpioN in your list.

I took my parents to the showroom to see the ScorpioN. They had a hard time climbing into it and even experienced some pain in the body. It was a deal breaker for me then and there. Even the SA suggested we better have a look at XUV7OO instead of ScorpioN for the elderly.
Knightrider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:10   #732
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, didn't understand anything in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbug View Post
Seems the missus & kids are not configured yet
What does this mean?

Quote:
AT won’t suit as it would hit the mileage as well considering that the ScorpioN bottom AT has hydraulic steering, AT fuel spend, ethanol mix the AT bottom is gonna give you 3-5 KM less than MT.
What does hydraulic steering has to do here and what is AT bottom and what is this ethanol mix?

Quote:
Toyotas are super overpriced and they have body roll as well, even Alcazar.
Did you observe this personally?

Quote:
Buying Cretas & Innova’s just coz they were good for the past 15 year does not warranty the will perform the same in the next 15 years..
Why?

Quote:
The amount of Kia’s & Creta’s I see is like I used to see M800s when I was a kid.
So what?

Quote:
Everything else I feel is 19/20 (unnis bees)
is what? and what is in the bracket?

Sorry to pin point, but it was totally confusing in the lot.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:33   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
If it is primarily for your parents, then you should definitely check it out physically even before having ScorpioN in your list.

I took my parents to the showroom to see the ScorpioN. They had a hard time climbing into it and even experienced some pain in the body. It was a deal breaker for me then and there. Even the SA suggested we better have a look at XUV7OO instead of ScorpioN for the elderly.
I was about to say the same thing that if it's for elderly, ScorpioN is not the vehicle for you. Hector plus, XL6, Alcazar, Carens, Safari are the options which will suit your needs for a 7 seater and even the XUV7OO. Ingress and Egress should be lot easier in these vehicles. Doctors used to recommend WagonR for elderly patients or those with back pain issues as you just sit in it like you sit on a chair at home. don't have to stoop or climb in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkumarabhishek View Post
-ve Scorpio N :
The pricing for 4Xplor model is completely off the mark. I was hoping the top of the line scorpio to be cheaper by at least 3 lakhs if not more than the XUV700, given what all it miss over XUV.
If you compare the pricing of Z8L D AT 4x4 model and the XUV7OO D AT AWD model then the difference is about 3 lacs or more. Both the cars are for a different breed of people and hence has different characteristics. For the same reason, where XUV7OO has an electronic parking brake, ScorpioN has a mechanical or manual as it may be more beneficial as ScorpioN is also meant for some serious off-roading where electronic brake might cause an issue. If you have read some blogs here about the submerged cars in south India monsoon last year, many cars with electronic brakes with electronic brakes had to be overridden eventually mechanically as the motor had jammed. On the other hand, AWD is beneficial while driving on slippery surfaces and not necessarily useful for off-roads without the low range gearbox or MLD/BLD.

Quote:
The design of 3rd row seat is completely lame. They could've gone for Innova like side up seats if front facing 3rd row is required for NCAP.
Not sure if that would again make sense as folding the seats side up would again mean limiting the side space instead of the space at the back of the middle seat but Innova like folding seats would have required extra mounting hardware and a mounting hood at the center of the boot floor thereby again having different opinions from people.

Quote:
Don't know why M&M doesn't have 2nd and 3rd row sliding seats. makes a lot of sense for SUV to optimize space.
For a vehicle capable of off-roading, the sliding mechanism might have faced sliding forces thereby inducing noises or play at a later date or even reducing the sliding effectiveness. Though sliding would have helped to improve the leg room at the rear, it would rather turn out to be a maintenance issue in the long run. Also, the one touch tumble would have become in-effective in that case. Even if it was made functional, it would have meant the sliding rails causing injuries during ingress/egress.

Front seats might not have that problem as the weight and length of the seats would be for a single person only.

I am not a design engineer but felt these could be logical reason for not having a sliding mechanism for middle row. Safari has a slider for middle row but that can't be taken for off-roading being just a FWD.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th July 2022 at 14:10. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts. Request you to be more vigilant about this.
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 12:15   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
My mistake, i was asking for the Scorpio N in Dazzling Silver, haven't seen any video of it.
Just search the Youtube for "Scorpio N colour options" and you will find a video where Scorpios in all the available colours are parked next to each other along with a walk through of various angles of the vehicle in those colours.
Old 27th July 2022, 12:28   #735
BHPian

Quote:

For a vehicle capable of off-roading, the sliding mechanism might have faced sliding forces thereby inducing noises or play at a later date or even reducing the sliding effectiveness. Though sliding would have helped to improve the leg room at the rear, it would rather turn out to be a maintenance issue in the long run. Also, the one touch tumble would have become in-effective in that case. Even if it was made functional, it would have meant the sliding rails causing injuries during ingress/egress.
I do not think this could be the reason. Fortuner has sliding middle row seats and I am sure it goes for Off-roading. M&M probably has some peculiar reason for not having it in XUV500, XUV7OO and now in ScorpioN. Only known to them them

Swami

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks