Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 15:16   #1066
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
Any other folks from Hyderabad and experiences between VVC motors and Automotive Mahindra? Specially post sales servicing as one can go to any service center post delivery.
My view is M&M service will be improved considerably in the coming days. Just think about the new customer profiles of the new Thar, XUV700 and Scorpio N in comparison to earlier customer base. The customer profile now will have more urban customer presence, well informed and connected, demanding and cost sensitive. Also, their product profile has become technically more complex. So, their service need to be better now.
Old 8th August 2022, 15:20   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
Y
- Who the hell provides all season tyres on a 4X4. That should be the first mod, still deciding between Apterra/Dueller and Geolander
Can you share what tyre size you are considering? I do not find any worthy AT Tyres in stock size. Don't wish to upsize to 265 section, section width is already high and increasing it further may damage the FE/ Drag/ Handling? or am I overthinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Mahindra Scorpio-N Diesel Automatic Review

• Mahindra is closely guarding its utility vehicle fortress. • What stands out is how smooth the Diesel AT is. I was driving at 20-40 km/h with the engine spinning at 1,500-1,800 rpm

• On the highway, the Scorpio-N Diesel AT is a great cruiser. You can maintain speeds of 100-120 km/h all day long. It's quite the mile-muncher.

• Even at 90-100 km/h, all you hear is a mild hum from the diesel engine and it’s a likeable hum. Some diesels sound good, while some sound bad and are clattery; all you hear here is a mild likeable hum. Good stuff.

• Perhaps, as a downside of the abovementioned points + the Scorpio’s breadbox aerodynamics + fat weight + power on tap + torque converter AT, the round-trip FE I saw was 11 km/l. Which is just average (pun intended).

• Ride quality is much, much improved over the earlier pogo-stick-like bumpy Scorpio, but it is still a mixed bag. The suspension is compliant in 70% of situations, liveable in most, yet very fussy in some (e.g. bad roads taken at crawling speeds). Additionally, ride comfort is better on the front seats than the middle row – 2nd row passengers will find the suspension to be extremely busy, even on the expressway.
That being said, the Scorpio-N has no magic carpet ride like a Renault Duster. Low speed ride quality in the city is way better than the likes of the Fortuner, I might add.

• While the ride is compliant, it is a busy suspension @ 100 km/h.
Many thanks for the wonderfully enlightening drive review.

FE is quite low, I would wish it to be 13 km/l. Is it because the vehicle is not run in completely?

Ride quality of Renault duster is phenomenal, however as you have mentioned the Scorpio N beats Fortuner in ride quality that means it is more than livable. And with the size of the vehicle we may not expect more at this price point.

Thanks once again.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th August 2022 at 20:05. Reason: Please capitalize where required. Thanks.
rooster.ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 15:30   #1068
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi GTO - great review.

I guess you drove a Diesel Auto 2WD. Performance seems to be just about adequate. My worry is, if we add the 4WD gear and the attendant weight, would it slow down the car even further. It is not that one wants to zip around in this car at high speeds, but a good level of power and grunt on tap is a basic requirement to enjoy any vehicle for us enthusiasts. In my Thar Diesel Auto, I feel I could use some more reserve power in many situations such as while overtaking on two lane roads or hill roads.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 16:06   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
Can you share what tyre size you are considering? I do not find any worthy AT Tyres in stock size. Don't wish to upsize to 265 section, section width is already high and increasing it further may damage the FE/ Drag/ Handling? or am I overthinking?
I think as the vehicle starts coming on road, you'll see more options coming up in the market. At times, dealers may not be stocking such sizes if not too many vehicles wear them. post 26th Sept, there should be an increase in options from almost from every other brand available in India. Geos might be available in 255 or 265 size which is not a significant upsize as such. but suggest you wait for sometime.

All Season tires do not make sense in our climate to my knowledge. All Terrain are more sensible.

Also, you are not overthinking..high rolling resistance will increase handling and cornering but also impact FE negatively.
rahulya007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 17:29   #1070
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
All Season tires do not make sense in our climate to my knowledge. All Terrain are more sensible. .
Where on Mahindra's official website have they mentioned All Season tires for the ScorpioN? I am unable to find this in the brochure which just talks about the size. Are you looking at the TD vehicles and saying they are All Season tires?

Last edited by MetalClank : 8th August 2022 at 17:30.
Old 8th August 2022, 17:37   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Where on Mahindra's official website have they mentioned All Season tires for the ScorpioN? I am unable to find this in the brochure which just talks about the size. Are you looking at the TD vehicles and saying they are All Season tires?
I think i saw that written on one of the TD vehicles…on another vehicle, i saw AT2 which i guess were Apterra or may be wanderers AT2.
Old 8th August 2022, 17:55   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Page #1 of this thread has a close up of this tyre.

What you see is A\S rated tyres - you can read that as All Season, however you will see that they are also M+S rated, that is mud & snow and then you`d notice that it has Traction A rating - that is good in the rain too.

Like the vehicle in itself, everything seems to be where its supposed to be.

As far as I have seen, most of the mainstream A\T tyres available in the market are of the All season tarmac variety. Do not waste money on a tyre swap, apart from a fat bill, no other benefit.
Kosfactor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 19:53   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

What you see is A\S rated tyres - you can read that as All Season, however you will see that they are also M+S rated, that is mud & snow and then you`d notice that it has Traction A rating - that is good in the rain too.

Like the vehicle in itself, everything seems to be where its supposed to be.

As far as I have seen, most of the mainstream A\T tyres available in the market are of the All season tarmac variety. Do not waste money on a tyre swap, apart from a fat bill, no other benefit.
Thanks for the perspective. That seems fair. Lets see how these tyres perform in real life conditions before deciding on replacing.
Old 8th August 2022, 19:59   #1074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A bit touchy question, in almost all drag races between the Fortuner and the Scorpio N, the Scorpio N is not the first to leap but it is almost always the first to take over/reach the end line! The Fortuner struggles to keep up with the Scorpio N specially as the initial speed picks up. ..why would this be the case?

We can assume some of these videos may be biased/rigged/unscientific
My guess is these are Fortuners from pre-2021. These got weaker 165hp/420NM engines. From 2021, Toyota introduced a Variable Geometry Turbocharger, and bumped up the output to 204hp/500 NM. There is no chance the Diesel ScorpioN can beat the latest Fortuner, but it is very likely that it does beat the pre-2021 Fortuner in the 0-100 run. But the petrol ScoprioN will stand a chance to beat or at least equal the latest Diesel Fortuner in the 0-100 run with its sub 10 second timing.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th August 2022 at 20:01.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 20:28   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

I humbly disagree on this point. The tread pattern of a Thar CEAT Czar A/T and Scorpio Wanderer A/S are quite different. The A/T on Thar are capable tyres and there are so many videos where stock tyres have performed their function in off-roading setup. But if you look at the videos of Scorpio, be it DDSravi in ladakh or even that launch event video in slush, the tyres were failing to grip since channels were not getting cleared of mud and hence sliding due to non traction. So in my humble opinion their is a marked difference in off road performance of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
I am looking at 265 section only, tyre calculator shows difference of less than 2% so it is alright I guess, ofcourse fitment can be checked only on swapping so let us see.
Bluebird_7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 20:34   #1076
BHPian

Quote:

• One differentiator from the XUV700 is that the monocoque XUV feels very urban, whereas the body-on-frame Scorpio feels very rough & tough. It has a feeling of robustness and feel-good factor to it.
Excellent review as expected GTO !!
It would be great if you can add one more section of the key pros and cons of both Scorpio-N and XUV700.

As far as my observations go, I feel that Scorpio 4*4 seems a better bet when compared to XUV700 AWD.
But, in case of the 2WD variants, I still feel that XUV700 is slightly better.

I would love to hear other member's views also!
Old 8th August 2022, 20:44   #1077

A driving enthusiasts’ view of the Scorpio N Diesel 4WD AT

… Keeping my notes specific to the drive.

Test track:
• About 7 kms on highway roads, with moderate traffic on Bangalore Hosur rood. Max speed 70 kmph.
• About 8 kms of bombed out tarmac and slushy roads, at speeds one would not normally dare explore.
• Test drive vehicle was new. Odometer showed less than 100kms.

The good:
• Commendable overall refinement, on smooth or bad surfaces.
• No creaks whatsoever. Car feels it’s well put together and can handle abuse.
• NVH levels (upto 70kmph on decent roads; upto 40kmph on bombed out roads)
(1) Engine – fairly quiet, under most conditions.
(2) Outside ambient noise – reasonably well supressed.
(3) Road noise – fairly well supressed on tarmac. Will say admirably supressed on broken patches.
• Adequate throttle response; minimal turbo lag.
• Easy to use drive aids – 4WL, 4WH, Surface modes, Front camera switch etc.
• Vertical movement on bad patches – excellent control (tested at moderate speeds)
• Front and side visibility. Good sized ORVM’s.
• In general, easy to drive. Will appeal to women drivers as well.

The not so good:
• Pathetic rear and front camera resolutions.

What you could get used to:
• Grabby brakes.
• Ergonomic idiosyncrasies / quirks. I’m 5’7’’.
• Lateral movement – well, let’s says laws of physics do apply. (Passengers tend to be less appreciative of the laws of physics)
• Lack of telescopic steering.

Worrying:
• Lack of steering weight at speed.
• Also, lack of feedback. Likely to be hard to sense when the vehicle's tires were running out grip and starting to slip.

My personal take:
• Scorpio N, in 4WD AT guise, appears to be a truly capable machine. If you can afford and willing to use this 30-lakh car, for what’s its truly designed purpose, i.e., take the worst of Indian roads and explore roads that need 4WD, think it’s a great buy.
• If you are not going to use it to its true potential – you end up with an un-needed gas guzzler. That’s passe.
Sober_Motorhead is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 20:44   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

• Even those with a delicate lower back will find the back support to be satisfactory. Has electric lumbar adjustment.
Is this a new addition? The top variant I checked out at launch had just the rudimentary 6 way power adjust for the driver's seat along with a manual knob for lumbar adjust.

Quote:
• I have said this before with the Thar and XUV700 also, I am super happy with how Mahindra and Tata are tuning their AT gearboxes with their engines. They are doing a fantastic job. Tata did a better job with the Harrier / Safari ATs (which use FCA’s 2.0L diesel) than Jeep could manage with its own engine! And this is where they are nailing it. Many competitors don’t offer a Diesel AT combination. Mahindra has gone a step further than Tata by offering a very competent (fuel economy aside) Turbo-Petrol AT too.
I agree 100%. I ruled out the diesel jeep compass due to how lethargic the 9 speed gearbox was. I was initially hesitant about checking out the Tata safari since it had the same engine as the compass and being a bigger car with a normal 6 speed torque converter, I expected it to be slower. That was not the case at all and it was surprisingly responsive. When I see the long waiting lists at Mahindra, I still sometimes think about just getting a Safari and calling it a day but the fear of getting another lemon brings me back to reality.
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:20   #1079
BHPian

Quote:

• While the ride is compliant, it is a busy suspension @ 100 km/h. Even on the expressway, you can feel the joints, there is movement from the bottom, yet it is acceptable. I was sitting in the second row and could feel that the suspension was very busy. The front seats have a distinct advantage in terms of ride quality. This is not a Hexa or even XUV700 for that matter.
Thanks GTO, for the enjoyable yet comprehensive review of The Scorpio-N!

The reference to HEXA and the suggestion of HEXA being possibly the benchmark here, to compare with, particularly caught my eye! Infact, it is the Hexa against which that the Scorpio N is best compared with.

Infact when i was watching the Technical presentation given by Mr Veluswamy, the Head of Engineering and Production at Mahindra during the official launch event, it was clearly evident that Mahindra has virtually implented most of the elements that are the USPs of The Hexa in the Scorpio -N and that too with added refinement/improvements - Increased width, lowered height (viz the Scorpio Classic), Engine Torque, Suspension setup (both front and rear), Increased tyre size (tread and sidewall height) to name a few.

Do Check out the url

It would be wonderful if someone would do a deep dive comparison between the two 'Big Boys' respectively from Tata & Mahindra!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th August 2022 at 11:23. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
theZULU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:56   #1080
Senior - BHPian

OT :
Quote:
Stunning roads & views through & through:
Attachment 2342546
This pic deserves a post in the deserving thread (What I love about driving in India)

Last edited by shancz : 9th August 2022 at 10:57. Reason: added OT discl
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed