Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 12:35   #1246
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

After Reading so much about speakers in the last few posts, And me too changing the model from Z8 to Z8L I went on the official sony website.

The company claimed that it has the exact same system on both the Xuv and the scorpio.
well the website says differently. Although a small difference the scorpio has 4 tweeters, 2 of which are above the front passenger and drivers, These are 25mm drivers. Whereas the XUV has 2 tweeters only on the A pillars and all the 4 roof mounted speakers are 50mm wide range surround speakers.

Not only they differ in size but they also differ in Functionality. surround sound speakers are completely different from tweeters.
As pointed out by the official Team Bhp review, these are a notch below the XUV700.

Cant believe Mahindra just lied on stage and still claim it is the exact same system.
The below pictures will explain it perfectly.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20220817-12.26.34-pm.png

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20220817-12.26.53-pm.png
kushgandhi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 13:06   #1247
BANNED

One thing that always bothers me with all cars (not just Scorpio N) is the ease with which panels can be put back once they are removed (for example door panel removed to repair window motor etc).

What I have noticed is that the panels are fitted (pressed into) with specific type of plastic expanding screws. These screws tend to break after the first removal almost always. They removal and refitting also tends to mess with the holes into which these plastic screws go into.

For the Scorpio N, there is so much cladding and that makes me worried.
Old 17th August 2022, 14:28   #1248
BHPian

I came across this article and it talks about open C vs boxed frames. Toyota betting big on open C versus American truck manufacturers strongly believe boxed frame are the best.

https://www.treadmagazine.com/featur...-versus-boxed/

Any idea what kind of frame Scorpio-N uses? Velusamy talks about rigidity and flexibility, but not on frame technicals.
Old 17th August 2022, 15:00   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post

The company claimed that it has the exact same system on both the Xuv and the scorpio. well the website says differently. Although a small difference the scorpio has 4 tweeters, 2 of which are above the front passenger and drivers, These are 25mm drivers. Whereas the XUV has 2 tweeters only on the A pillars and all the 4 roof mounted speakers are 50mm wide range surround speakers.
Not only they differ in size but they also differ in Functionality. surround sound speakers are completely different from tweeters.
Yes, I saw this and found the information different for both the vehicles. Though the system might be same in terms of tuning etc. but the speaker difference is there for the top 2 speakers. May be the internal cabin space in these 2 vehicles is the reason this speaker change is done otherwise there is no logical reason for it. Or may be the position of the sunroof is such that it gives more space to fit a 5" speaker in XUV but only a smaller one (2.5" in this case) for the Scorpio. I guess the Sunroof in XUV starts a bit behind as compared to the Scorpio. Not sure though. Need to know the reason for speaker changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
What I have noticed is that the panels are fitted (pressed into) with specific type of plastic expanding screws. These screws tend to break after the first removal almost always. They removal and refitting also tends to mess with the holes into which these plastic screws go into.

For the Scorpio N, there is so much cladding and that makes me worried.
For my car, I have removed the door panels at least a dozen times for various reasons and put it back without any fuss. Also, these plastic pins are available as spare parts in the service center or you can buy them from after market accessories shop as well if you take a sample one. My only concern is the after market guys often tend to use a (-) screw driver to open the handles or such panels and cause a minor plastic deformation at the point. These things should be used with specific prying tools which are available in market for DIY guys.
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 16:43   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinbie2019 View Post
I came across this article and it talks about open C vs boxed frames. Toyota betting big on open C versus American truck manufacturers strongly believe boxed frame are the best.

https://www.treadmagazine.com/featur...-versus-boxed/

Any idea what kind of frame Scorpio-N uses? Velusamy talks about rigidity and flexibility, but not on frame technicals.
The ScorpioN is an adaptation of the Thar frame and the Thar is an adaptation of the CJ frames, hence it would be safe to assume that it is a box section

Let me check, there are Mahindra pick-up truck photos with only the cabin and also photos of the Scorpio chassis at the Madras facility, that should seal the deal
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 04:51   #1251
BHPian

I don't know how much substance there is to the claim made in this video but siddharth mentions that Mahindra anticipates higher number of bookings for automatics so much so that first batch of production for ScorpioN are all automatics.

Timestamp : 13:10-13:15

Last edited by BleueNinja : 18th August 2022 at 05:19.
Old 18th August 2022, 07:40   #1252
BHPian

Mahindra would have noticed that kind of demand from the pre-booking carts and planned the production accordingly. And, across segments, the trend is perhaps moving towards the ATs. Easier to drive, FE gap isn't much and TC being a proven technology.
Old 18th August 2022, 08:28   #1253
BHPian

A lot of our discussions assume that production vehicles will be better finished than the demo vehicles available for test drives now. In some other discussions, I have even heard people say that Mahindra is taking in all the negative feedback about split 3rs row seats and might incorporate in production vehicles.

Personally, I don't believe any of this to be true. Demo products are meant to showcase the best a company has to offer. They knew there would be scrutiny of the demo vehicles, why would they miss out on small things like a plastic cladding?

If anyone knows someone high up in Mahindra, would be good to know if they are planning to improve the production vehicles.
slylenser is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 08:32   #1254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav6464 View Post
Just found this short Scorpio-N review video on Instagram. It seems like sometimes to worry about.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChPVm...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

The speaker above is so close to the sunroof and uncovered. As per the reviewer it may get damaged with slightest of rain.

Whats your take on this...
If it provides any relief, I checked the leaked version of the Scorpio N instruction manual (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...l?#post5335501 (Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N)).

In this leaked manual, this caught my attention. If the driver starts the wipers, the car will notify the user to close the windows and the sunroof.
Attached Images

MetalClank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:52   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The ScorpioN is an adaptation of the Thar frame and the Thar is an adaptation of the CJ frames, hence it would be safe to assume that it is a box section

Let me check, there are Mahindra pick-up truck photos with only the cabin and also photos of the Scorpio chassis at the Madras facility, that should seal the deal
These days most vehicles of this type would have a closed \ boxed chassis. Mahindra NGCS from the Armada days is a closed chassis, their pick up trucks will also use something similar.

3rd gen hydroformed chassis as seen in 2014 Scorpio is the base for the newer vehicles like Thar, Scorpio N, TUV, Scorpio classic etc. There is noticeable difference in the way a 2013 Scorpio would drive vs a 2014 because the drive train is different including the chassis.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 11:25   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

So here is the history as much as I know:

1. Bolero is adapted from the history books
2. Scorpio Gen 1 was the Bolero + IFS
3. Bolero got updated to IFS
4. Scorpio got updated to Rear Coil springs (1450 track IIRC)
5. Thar Gen 1 got the Scorpio Front + Rear Leaf springs (1450? track for CRDE)
6. Scorpio got upgraded to Hydroformed chassis (1500 track)
7. TUV got the shortened Hydroformed chassis (1500 track)
8. Thar Gen 2 adapted the Hydroformed chassis with new dimensions 1520 track (IIRC)
9. Scorpio has new hydroformed chassis with a wider track and a longer wheelbase with significant stiffness added at critical places.

While the architecture may be similar, some of the critical components are changed.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 14:48   #1257
BANNED

Question on boot cladding of Scorpio N : What is inside the cladding that makes the cladding so thick? There is no speaker here for sure, so cannot figure out what is stuffed inside it?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpiofatbootcladding.jpg  

Old 18th August 2022, 15:02   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Question on boot cladding of Scorpio N : What is inside the cladding that makes the cladding so thick? There is no speaker here for sure, so cannot figure out what is stuffed inside it?
I think, this cladding also covers the rear wiper motor which might have led to the bulge, but if you have seen it keenly, the cladding is curved to make some storage space and as per the curved rear end of the vehicle, so necessarily there might not be anything inside, just some hollow space and some sound deadening material may be.
Old 18th August 2022, 15:07   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
In the older versions, even with the speakers, it wasn't this thick. Also, this part could be replaced with damping fiber material.
Old 18th August 2022, 15:41   #1260
BHPian

My biggest grudge against M&M is that they are providing only 2 airbags in lower variants of Z2/Z4/Z6 Scorpio N. The Indian car manufacturers like TaMo, Mahindra and Mahindra are praised for their safety Orientated approach. Then why this step-motherly behaviour for the big daddy? Keep it safe altogether.

Regarding the pre-production unit and gap for the ceiling mounted speakers, wirings dangling from dashbroad etc.- similar exposed/ visible wirings were reported for the new gen Thar rear hatch glass part during initial days and reviews by Auto-magazines (I remember Zigwheels covering this issue on their YouTube channel). Did M&M rectify those issues of Thar in the final production units? Or similar issues of XUV700? Then we get the answer to all our doubts whether these will be rectified in final production units of Scorpio N or these will remain there to prove Indian Desi companies can never archive the finished product levels of Japanese/ Koreans/ European mass market brands.

Last edited by RijuC : 18th August 2022 at 15:51.

Most Viewed