Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 23:41   #1351
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Thane
Posts: 104
Thanked: 111 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
Thanks. If the kerb weight of heaviest XUV is 2040 kg, then that leaves just 431 kg for 7 people. May be someone who has got an XUV can confirm from the RC book. Otherwise weight vs torque comparison is going to cast a shadow on my heart vs mind decision.
Found these on tbhp.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5344098 (Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5149144 (Mahindra XUV700 Review)
rooster.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 23:44   #1352
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 298
Thanked: 330 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
Thanks. If the kerb weight of heaviest XUV is 2040 kg, then that leaves just 431 kg for 7 people. May be someone who has got an XUV can confirm from the RC book. Otherwise weight vs torque comparison is going to cast a shadow on my heart vs mind decision.
One thing to note here is the vehicle is considered as 5+2. So going by that if we have 5 adults of average 75kg weight and 2 kids of 35 kg each then that sums up the total weight it carries. I am considering the 431 kg you mentioned above.

Link shared above shows GVW as 2670 kgs for 4WD variants so even if we consider 500 kgs as passenger + luggage weight still the vehicle weight is 2170 kgs.

If you are comparing the power to weight ratio, in comparison to XUV700, then also consider that Scorpio is a BOF and a RWD which definitely is an advantage over XUV700. A loaded RWD will aways perform better than a loaded FWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
I confirm that there were cars with dazzling silver colors in the yards around plant.
How i wish you had a foto of it…was it the same shade as of XUV700?

Last edited by rahulya007 : 24th August 2022 at 23:54. Reason: Added quote
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 23:47   #1353
BHPian
 
Indepth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Mohali,Punjab
Posts: 127
Thanked: 515 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

After watching ScorpioN making video, first thing that came to my mind was cost of producing a BOF like this.

I started wandering which one of the two Mahindra's shall cost more to produce - The XUV 700 or ScorpioN (features aside).

ScorpioN is priced higher than XUV700, if one takes out the value portion of additional features on XUV700. All this when ScorpioN prices are introductory.
So, does it mean ScorpioN is more costly to produce than the XUV? Or is Mahindra just going for relatively larger profits on ScorpioN?
Compared to competition, still ScorpioN is a bargain, this being just a comparison to XUV.

Last edited by Indepth : 24th August 2022 at 23:48. Reason: Spelling
Indepth is offline  
Old 25th August 2022, 02:26   #1354
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,169
Thanked: 2,633 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Came across a comparison report mentioning that the Scorpio N has a much longer braking distance.

The Scorpio N needs 7 to 10 metres more to stop compared to the XUV 700 from 100 kmph to zero which is huge.


Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th August 2022 at 02:28.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 10:28   #1355
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 891 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Came across a comparison report mentioning that the Scorpio N has a much longer braking distance.

The Scorpio N needs 7 to 10 metres more to stop compared to the XUV 700 from 100 kmph to zero which is huge.

https://Youtu.be/hQZKSzqlvac
Yes. We will have to live with this fact. The XUV is a monocoque and the ScorpioN is a body on frame, there is a centre of gravity and weight distribution issue which would affect the inertia. Also, the test has to be under perfect conditions for us to determine if the ScorpioN is extremely poor in braking performance when compared with the XUV, will have to take this video with a pinch of salt. Eg. what about the tyres, new ones versus grippier ones? What about the rubber on the road? Did the XUV go after the ScorpioN and got the benefit of added rubber on the road, a la Formula 1?
TheARUN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:23   #1356
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 298
Thanked: 330 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Yes. We will have to live with this fact. The XUV is a monocoque and the ScorpioN is a body on frame, there is a centre of gravity and weight distribution issue which would affect the inertia. Also, the test has to be under perfect conditions for us to determine if the ScorpioN is extremely poor in braking performance when compared with the XUV, will have to take this video with a pinch of salt. Eg. what about the tyres, new ones versus grippier ones? What about the rubber on the road? Did the XUV go after the ScorpioN and got the benefit of added rubber on the road, a la Formula 1?
Absolutely Agree. Plus what is the age of the XUV selected for this test vs the Scorpio. XUV brakes must have had a break-in already while the Scorpio is a relatively new product with very few kms on the odo, may be. Also, the weight difference will also play a part here. Aerodynamics.

So far, many people here have mentioned about the bite of the brakes being too sharp on the Scorpio during their TD's.
FWD's have a pull mechanism, where as RWD's push the vehicle. Can this also lead to difference in braking distance ? Both vehicles come from the same brand and have all 4 discs, then why this difference. There has to be some differentiating factor which is not spoken in the video which is misleading.

Also, those 0-100 figures do not really matter in the real world. No one races day-in day-out with such vehicles. It is obvious that XUV has higher tune than Scorpio and has lower weight and better aerodynamics so talking it is half second faster or slower shouldn't be a matter of concern anyways.
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:59   #1357
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 337
Thanked: 328 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
The GVW for 7 seater + 4WD Scorpio N was certified as 2670kg, while the 7 seater + AWD XUV700 was certified as 2471kg, so I'd expect around a 200kg difference for kerb weight too.

So you're getting a >10% heavier vehicle with >10% lesser torque compared to the XUV700.
Any idea what it is for Petrol Z4 AT?

May be its too early, has anybody evaluated the All Terrain tyre options for lower variants without compromising the side profile?

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 25th August 2022 at 12:07.
saurabh041086 is offline  
Old 25th August 2022, 14:13   #1358
BHPian
 
ishlinea7260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: .
Posts: 471
Thanked: 534 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Are there any all terrain tyres in 255/50/R18 set up?
Was searching online and both BF Goodrich and Yokohama have sizes in 265/60R18.
Either prospective owners have to be content with stock HT set up or upsize the tyres and risk voiding the warranty.
ishlinea7260 is offline  
Old 25th August 2022, 14:44   #1359
Team-BHP Support
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea (Bihar)
Posts: 9,311
Thanked: 13,786 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Are there any all terrain tyres in 255/50/R18 set up?
Was searching online and both BF Goodrich and Yokohama have sizes in 265/60R18.
Either prospective owners have to be content with stock HT set up or upsize the tyres and risk voiding the warranty.
Stock size is 255/60 R18. In India, I donít spot any manufacturer with this size, but BF Goodrich does have this size Internationally.

All International tire manufacturers (almost all of repute) have tire in this size, but with current Make in India, procuring tires is not that easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-30999e5c915941e080e0c573f83e04ee.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_1028.jpg  


Last edited by Sheel : 28th August 2022 at 08:59. Reason: Updated image format.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:53   #1360
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 337
Thanked: 328 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Stock size is 255/60 R18. In India, I donít spot any manufacturer with this size, but BF Goodrich does have this size Internationally.

Not able to attach actual tire size image, hence its via a zip file (not on PC so).

All International tire manufacturers (almost all of repute) have tire in this size, but with current Make in India, procuring tires is not that easy.
Seems 265 65 R17 is the most common size available in market. At least for for R17 equipped Scorpio N it is an ideal size with variance <2%.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 16:05   #1361
BHPian
 
kushgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 102
Thanked: 881 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Seems 265 65 R17 is the most common size available in market. At least for for R17 equipped Scorpio N it is an ideal size with variance <2%.
The Variance isnt <2% the tyre size in the 17 inch wheel size is 245 65 R17
when you calculate the variance is >3% which is not really recommended when you consider speedo and odo accuracy. It also effects the suspension and steering components.

This makes me question the accuracy of the speedometer and the odometer in the AT and the MT. although not a lot but for every 10,000 km on the odo either of the two wheel sizes will have a difference of about 170 km. So does the auto and the manual have different speedo calibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Are there any all terrain tyres in 255/50/R18 set up?
Either prospective owners have to be content with stock HT set up or upsize the tyres and risk voiding the warranty.

With lakhs of scorpio N that will be sold in the coming years I am sure manufacturers will make these size tyres. It will be a big market that cant be ignored. So ATs and HTs of 245 section and 255 section will be readily available from major brands soon.

Last edited by kushgandhi : 25th August 2022 at 16:10. Reason: Proof read
kushgandhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 16:32   #1362
BHPian
 
krinpit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 110
Thanked: 147 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav6464 View Post
Just found this short Scorpio-N review video on Instagram. It seems like sometimes to worry about.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChPVm...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

The speaker above is so close to the sunroof and uncovered. As per the reviewer it may get damaged with slightest of rain.

Whats your take on this...
Any further update on this issue? Is this by Design or as someone attributed this to pre-production vehicles?
krinpit is offline  
Old 25th August 2022, 17:17   #1363
BHPian
 
carthick1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CJB-Driel
Posts: 675
Thanked: 2,795 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Video making reminds me of the Tesla Gigaberlin Drone fly-through footage :

carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 17:24   #1364
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,169
Thanked: 2,633 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
It is obvious that XUV has higher tune than Scorpio and has lower weight and better aerodynamics so talking it is half second faster or slower shouldn't be a matter of concern anyways.
If we consider each vehicle in isolation, the braking results may be good in their respective vehicle class (BOF and Monocoque). The vehicles should be driven within their limits and its good to be aware of them.

However, in relative comparison, even factoring the tyre condition, the XUV stopping 30 feet before a Scorpio N is a lot by a huge margin. Shows how good the XUV is as a road/highway car. The Scorpio N of course has its own merits.
for_cars1 is offline  
Old 25th August 2022, 18:51   #1365
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 337
Thanked: 328 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
The Variance isnt <2% the tyre size in the 17 inch wheel size is 245 65 R17
when you calculate the variance is >3% which is not really recommended when you consider speedo and odo accuracy. It also effects the suspension and steering components.
Probably i unknowingly compared with 255 60 R18. Sorry for the confusion.

But that opens up the question. Do companies calibrate speedometers with each tyre size on offer? And with reference to which tyre size do they sticker the ground clearance with?
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks