Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2022, 12:29   #31

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Good review but I felt it was a bit short compared to earlier t-bhp reviews. Maybe the review would have been more comprehensive if there was more time before the embargo ended. Going OT. What was the route of media drives? The scenery and the road looks absolutely beautiful in all the reviews. Planning to go on a drive this weekend.
Old 30th June 2022, 12:32   #32
BHPian

Great review !

Would like to know from you how a manual transmission drives as well.

Overall, ScorpioN has more positives than negatives. We would be seeing a lot of BigDaddy's on road (or Off-road?) in near future

On the other hand, people who are looking for Compact SUVs and now considering ScorpioN (with its prices falling right in line with Creta, Seltos etc), might get anxious with the sheer size of the SUV.

peace
Old 30th June 2022, 12:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Team drove the car the day before, had limited time with the SUV (morning to late afternoon) and have published it today . We will add additional points & observations to this review once we drive the car in Bombay for 3 - 4 days.

As of now, treat this review as "first impressions".

Am going to tell team to fill in details on 2nd row comfort.
Thanks GTO!! Will be great if we can also have a comparison with XUV700 Petrol/Diesel AT too since there are a lot of people, I am sure, who are waiting for Scorpio N review to come out so they can decide on which car to buy?
JKBKS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 13:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Consider me spoiled due to earlier Team-BHP reviews but reading this review for a much awaited car of this year left me wanting for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Couldn't agree more. We are spoilt by usual Tbhp review detail which includes pros, cons, comparison with competition.
To be fair, the second line of the post is this :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Here are our quick and brief observations:
lordrayden is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 13:21   #35
BHPian

In fact, as a prospect here, my confusion hereby goes

1. I am sure 700 and Scorpio n, both, are abuse friendly for Indian roads.
2. Of course the powertrain wise, 700's diesel heart is slightly better off compared to Scorpio n's. But how significant is the difference and does it really matter?
3. I am sure BOF construction is more abuse friendly and appropriate for Indian conditions compared to a monocoque. But 700 is not far lagging. Again, how significant is the difference and does it really matter?
4. Regarding the ride quality, what is the difference between the 700 and Scorpio n? I assume the 700 being a monocoque is more plusher and composed compared to Scorpio n. Even otherwise, is it a deal breaking difference between the 700 and Scorpio n?
4. I am sure the Scorpio n is significantly better off-road capable than 700 for 2 reasons - BOF construction and more off-road aids than 700.
5. Of course, ADAS is one exceptional feature in the 700 which is a miss in the Scorpio n.

So apple to orange (probably red apple to green apple), my understanding and questions are as follows
1. Regarding space, features, space, build quality, reliability, ASS experience, brand value 700 and scorpio n, maintenance are absolutely alike (or negligible differences).
2. In terms of off-road capability, abuse friendly, ride, Scorpio n is better. But is that a deal breaker? How much better or worse is it from 700 AWD or Thar 4*4?
3. In-terms of features, performance, comfort, luxury, handling, 700 is better. But is that deal breaker? How much better is it from Scorpio n?
3. Looks are subjective
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 13:25   #36
BHPian

Excellent review, as always. Are we getting a detailed review like in the past? I'm a fan of [Small yet Significant section which i miss in recent reviews.

I'm in the market for a 7-seater and had fixed my mind on XUV700. When the news of Scorpio N launch came, I decided to wait for the launch. We will be heading to Mahindra showroom to see Scorpio N in flesh and take a call.
Old 30th June 2022, 13:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Can we also have a quick comparo with XUV 700 since these are priced within 3-4L. Not worried about the proper 4wheel drive differentiation but more on below aspects and also by how much % (want to check if it's minor differences or major)
  • Interior quality
  • Space
  • Ride quality
  • Handling
  • NVH levels

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th June 2022 at 13:36.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 13:51   #38
srh
BHPian

Some more information on ride, handling and high speed stability would really be appreciated. Another question that obviously crosses everybody's mind is whether in real world this is really 90% of Fortuner/ Endeavor or even the Meridian. If it is, the the Meridian is basically dead on arrival.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 14:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Upshifting on its own during offroad (that too in manual mode) isn't helpful as mentioned in the original post. On the contrary it'd be a nuisance. Mahindra did it with Thar and has now done it with Scorpio-N as well. They need someone in their team who actually does off-roading to understand and sort this out, its absolutely senseless.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 14:11   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Am a little surprised at this statement of yours.

I have a Thar HT AT. And have been off the road in it in Coorg and Ooty and Dabbaguli near Bangalore and Kabini and Bheemeshwari and all.

When off-roading in general and more particularly when on an incline and / or in treacherous terrain, loose surfaces etc, I always use the manual mode. The M mode ensures far better control in such circumstances.

I always use Manual mode when approaching those long sweeping curves and undulations and hilly bits on the highways too. Largely to ‘cut’ gears based on my own sense rather than wait for the machine to realise that it needs to slow down.

I confirm here that as per my experience with my Thar, when the vehicle is in Manual Mode it does not upshift on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Upshifting on its own during offroad (that too in manual mode) isn't helpful as mentioned in the original post. On the contrary it'd be a nuisance. Mahindra did it with Thar and has now done it with Scorpio-N as well. They need someone in their team who actually does off-roading to understand and sort this out, its absolutely senseless.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 14:14   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Sheel and I got to spend some time with the Mahindra Scorpio-N
Comprehensive and very well written review!! Kudos to the team.
Impressively detailed and equally informative.

The Scorpio N ticks all the boxes for my kind of requirement. A very rare instance in current market offerings.

AT, 4WD, Decent interior, ride, handling and stopping, Adequate Safety, Not so intimidating dash board (not an excessively digital cockpit), RWD - to name a few.

As an owner of 2012 Scoprio VLX 4wd AT, will I buy the new one? Oh boy! Im so tempted. A lot will depend on the pricing on the 4wd AT.
Old 30th June 2022, 14:26   #42
BHPian

Thank you for an amazing and comprehensive review! I remember the first generation facelift back in 2005/06 had come out with an all red (body cladding and everything) option and it just look gaudy, but the new generation carries it off with poise and looks mighty handsome!

The interior definitely looks way more premium than the outgoing model and the rear seat looks comfortable and spacious.
Old 30th June 2022, 15:05   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Some more information on ride, handling and high speed stability would really be appreciated. Another question that obviously crosses everybody's mind is whether in real world this is really 90% of Fortuner/ Endeavor or even the Meridian. If it is, the the Meridian is basically dead on arrival.
We could not test the handling (as it should be), thanks to very limited time with the vehicle, plus to the fact that we were mostly on expressways, but in whatever B-roads we drove, the handling is fair, better than my Scorpio S10 4WD (W105).

Ride - In my books, if I give the new BS-6 Fortuner and Endeavour a 6 out of 10, will give this a 3.5 / 4. The old Scorpio or the Classic at 2 out of 10. Had we got more time in our hands, we ideally would have loved to play with lowering PSI by few units and checking how it does. Recommended PSI is 34 and the SUV had 34 PSI throughout.

High speed stability - This is where it slightly bridges the gap with the D segment SUV's, there still is a gap, but, it is much improved than earlier iterations. We followed the speed limits strictly which is 120 kmph so the impression is unto that speed.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th June 2022 at 15:10.
Sheel is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 15:27   #44
BHPian

Sorry if the question is naïve. Did the booking already start ? I searched online and couldn't find any links. If it has started, can you point me to the correct URL ? Or do we have to go to the showroom to do that ?
Old 30th June 2022, 15:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Ride - In my books, if I give the new BS-6 Fortuner and Endeavour a 6 out of 10, will give this a 3.5 / 4. The old Scorpio or the Classic at 2 out of 10.
Just 3.5 for the ride quality? I would seriously reconsider my decision to book one, if such is the case.

Could you please rate the following, for benchmarking purposes (considering ScorpioN as a 3.5/4) -

1. Hexa
2. Innova crysta
3. XUV 700
4. New Safari

Thanks in advance.
Indepth is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed