Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2022, 15:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Sorry if the question is naïve. Did the booking already start ? I searched online and couldn't find any links. If it has started, can you point me to the correct URL ? Or do we have to go to the showroom to do that ?
No, it hasn't. You can add the variant to cart on 05th July and make the final confirmation on 30th July. Some dealers are taking KYC documents (Aadhar+PAN).
atluri_rkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 15:42   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Ride - In my books, if I give the new BS-6 Fortuner and Endeavour a 6 out of 10, will give this a 3.5 / 4. The old Scorpio or the Classic at 2 out of 10.
Sad to hear this, ride comfort of Fortuner itself is not upto the mark (personal opinion). Tata has done a fabulous job in their SUVs in this aspect. I was not expecting miracle knowing it is maintaining legacy of earlier iteration, but was still hopeful that only known weakness of Scorpio shouldn't become a deal breaker. Now waiting for a TD to find out whether it is atleast tolerable to me.

Also as someone asked, whether vehicle with panoramic sunroof suits better for a person having motion sickness?
Old 30th June 2022, 15:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

Not a fan of Scorpio or XUV700, mainly because I am not a SUV person. Will anyday prefer a sedan or in worst case a 5 seater crossover like Tiguan, X1, Kushaq etc.
But we have to really give it to Mahindra. 3 products (Thar, Scorpio and XUV700), each catering to a set of SUV customers. And they are just so much better than previous generations and offers tremendous value compared to the competition. And on top of it solid safety ratings. No wonder their cars have so much waiting period. I am sure Scorpio will run in to months of waiting too. Mahindra totally deserves this success.

Last edited by sunikkat : 30th June 2022 at 15:48.
sunikkat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 15:50   #49
BHPian

I drive a 2020 Jeep Compass - Limited Plus 4X2, but the Scorpio N has me drooling. Even though I haven't seen it in person, I especially like the size, the imposing stance, the BOF construction and better ride handling and cornering, despite BOF. Kudos to Mahindra for doing this. If they had launched this in 2020, buying the Compass wouldn't have been that easy for me.
Old 30th June 2022, 15:56   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

All the recent launches by M&M had tumbled sales wise till just a few years ago including the XUV 500. Their new launches with the signature "O's" were going nowhere. The Scorpio and Bolero were M&M's bread a butter, till the XUV 300 and the new generation Thar came along. The XUV 700 launch in 2021 added a lot of punch to their portfolio.

The Scorpio N it is hoped, will be able to resurrect M&M into the top four slots in the list of Indian carmakers.

But a word of advice. The seat's lumbar support, USB port and some shining object/s from the front facade could soon be withdrawn just like they have done very recently for the Thar. The prices will remain the same though. Hence, desirous buyers need to rush to M&M showrooms to get their Scorpio N. But a word of caution here. The first generation has niggles that they usually rectify in the second generation. So it's a tight rope walking.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 16:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Can you please elaborate more on this. Isn't this the case with every third row car. Yet one is able to remove it. My use case is a 5 seater with a plan to remove these seats on day 1.
I have a similar query and requirement. Would help to get some clarity on this.

Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 16:30   #52
BHPian

Good, honest review. I was almost ready to book it, but am inclined not to , for the following reasons:
1. The middle row is not sliding and hence..
2. Third row is literally unusable for seating, neither is..
3. The boot usable with all rows up and even tumbled, does not give a flat floor. So, you can't carry people, neither can you carry luggage.
4. The ride quality is suspect. Just marginally better than older Scorpio. I was expecting better , with the use of FSD and Penta link suspension.

It will definitely give people the feeling of "My ride is bigger and more powerful than yours".

Hope when I take a TD soon, i am proved wrong.

How I wish Tata relaunches the Hexa soon!!
adg_andy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 16:42   #53
BHPian

Thanks for the review.
I'm not a big fan of SUVs, but, one like Scorpio has obvious advantages. Seems it's much improved from its predecessor in all respects, kudos to M&M. Interesting to watch how they price the automatic variants.
Old 30th June 2022, 16:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
1. The middle row is not sliding and hence..
2. Third row is literally unusable for seating, neither is..
3. The boot usable with all rows up and even tumbled, does not give a flat floor. So, you can't carry people, neither can you carry luggage.

How I wish Tata relaunches the Hexa soon!!
Perfectly summarized.

These are significant flaws and big hurdle in tilting the decision in its favor for me as well. Almost every other car gives the flexibility to remove/tumble third row and use a flat bed for luggage. We all know that 3rd row are not not comfortable to grown ups for longer journey even in Fortuner/Kodiaq segment. But why sacrifice the other use case for remaining people who want to use it to haul luggage and a 5 seater.

Seems there has to be an accessory like ecosport where that tray was placed in boot at a higher height than floor. This will give a level surface to place luggage flat.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 30th June 2022 at 16:45.
Old 30th June 2022, 16:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
No, it hasn't. You can add the variant to cart on 05th July and make the final confirmation on 30th July. Some dealers are taking KYC documents (Aadhar+PAN).
Thank you for the quick response. Guess I will have to wait then. Also want to see the interior of the Z6.
Old 30th June 2022, 17:06   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Sad to hear this, ride comfort of Fortuner itself is not upto the mark (personal opinion). Now waiting for a TD to find out whether it is atleast tolerable to me.
Please do take a TD and do update.

Very few body on frame SUV's have their ride sorted, Tatas had, but somehow the seats were somewhat flawed (personal opinion). The best body on frame SUV I have experienced was the Pajero SFX. (Not mentioning expensive SUV's as it would not be fair).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Good, honest review. I was almost ready to book it, but am inclined not to , for the following reasons:
4. The ride quality is suspect. Just marginally better than older Scorpio. I was expecting better , with the use of FSD and Penta link suspension.

Hope when I take a TD soon, i am proved wrong.
Please do take a test drive. And do please update :-).

Ride is better than the Scorpio Classic, maybe my quoted numbers have disappointed BHPians, but my objective was to say that though it has improved by a significant margin (you have to experience this), but it has not reached that threshold yet.

Considering the price and the pedigree (poor ride) I will say, it has done quite good for what it has achieved, sure it is no Hexa or a Crysta, but then they can't do what the Scorpio-N can and vice-versa.

Thanks.
Sheel is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 17:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone explain the logic behind the pricing of Scorpio N? I cannot understand it at all or I have not given it enough thought may be. How can Mahindra have two flagship products which heavily overlap each other in terms of features, engines, size and of course the price. Wouldn't Scorpio N make a dent on XUV7OO sales and vice versa?
Yeah, I know Scorpio might be the more off roader, macho product while XUV7OO is more of a sophisticated, polished, urban vehicle. But these differences are subtle IMHO.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 30th June 2022 at 17:21.
Old 30th June 2022, 17:23   #58
BHPian

Scorpio-N is a SUV and the suspension design should be hard even though it’s a 5-link. In the above Innova and other vehicles are in the Crossover and multi-utility where as Scorpio-N is a proper SUV. Expecting it can do all sorts of off-roading, hence the design. From design perspective, it fills all the parameters as an SUV, it all personal preference that when someone wants ride quality, then there are other vehicles like Innova and XUV7OO that justify it.

Mahindra has done a wonderful job. If we expect that 5-link suspension needs to be mellow it won’t take off roads, then there comes a price tag of adjustable suspensions where damping can be your inputs based on the programmed terrain.
yogeshnaik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 17:23   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Considering the price and the pedigree (poor ride) I will say, it has done quite good for what it has achieved, sure it is no Hexa or a Crysta, but then they can't do what the Scorpio-N can and vice-versa.

Thanks.
Thank you! No wonder, this forum has such a fan following. No where else we will find such perspectives which we all can trust blindly as unbiased.

I have a 16 year old scorpio and will go ahead and book one anyways. However, it always helps to set the expectations from the reviews and inputs from teamBHp. May the force be with you, always!
alokk0912 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 18:04   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Ride - In my books, if I give the new BS-6 Fortuner and Endeavour a 6 out of 10, will give this a 3.5 / 4. The old Scorpio or the Classic at 2 out of 10. Had we got more time in our hands, we ideally would have loved to play with lowering PSI by few units and checking how it does. Recommended PSI is 34 and the SUV had 34 PSI throughout.
Well going by %age value vs. %age price comparison (which I think was started by GTO for Civic vs City), one can get 60% of the ride quality (3.5 vs 6) for 55% of the price . I believe it can be improved further with adjustments to the air pressure, better quality tyres and some after market fitments in the suspension. Scorpios and Boleros are favorites of mods for experiments thanks to the ruggedness and abuse friendly nature. In fact, there can be solution to the third row issues as well as I read it's bolted (and hopefully not welded) so can be taken out. And, it's only a matter of time that someone (hopefully on our DIY sub-forum) comes up with split seat mechanism (perhaps at the cost of voiding mechanical warranty). I hope M&M is more flexible on that front than our largest car manufacturer who cancels the warranty even if one bolt is from outside irrespective of however unsafe its cars are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Can anyone explain the logic behind the pricing of Scorpio N? I cannot understand it at all or I have not given it enough thought may be. How can Mahindra have two flagship products which heavily overlap each other in terms of features, engines, size and of course the price. Wouldn't Scorpio N make a dent on XUV7OO sales and vice versa?
Yeah, I know Scorpio might be the more off roader, macho product while XUV7OO is more of a sophisticated, polished, urban vehicle. But these differences are subtle IMHO.
Well if you compare XUV7OO AX7 MT (INR 19.85 Lacs) with Scorpio-N Z8 MT (INR 17.49), the difference is INR 2.36 Lacs (or approx. INR 3 Lacs on road). 15% difference ( 3 Lacs on 20 Lacs+ vehicle) is big enough to have two categories of vehicles in your menu especially when there is some overlap and not full cannibalization of the target market. However, INR 2 difference Lacs between Z8 and Z8L is difficult to digest. For XUV7OO, the difference between AX7L and AX7 is lower (INR 1.8 Lacs) and the former has much more goodies thrown in compared to the later.
TSIched'Out is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed