Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 14:13   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
... Wonder what prevented Mahindra from adding a few more centimeters of length to the body....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
..Lesser departure angle.
Must congratulate Mahindra for bringing such a capable 4WD "real" SUV with great features and sorted ride and handling (as per reviews and BoF standards) with great power trains with realistic pricing.
There is no doubt that this is a great new offering/vehicle in in the Indian market.

If you observe all the 7 seaters in M&M's portfolio, somehow they have shied away from providing good boot space. The theme is "No practical boot space with all 3 rows up". This "low luggage space" theme seems to have been well accepted by buyers and users and doesn't look like a real issue.

In the Scorpio-N, the short overhang at the back along with the need to ensure lower floor (and sufficient headroom) for 3rd row passengers and the presence of the spare wheel leads to design constraints resulting in that lesser departure angle.
M&M could have considered adding a bit more of body for some luggage space beyond the rear wheels with the overhang sloping upwards (for better departure angle) as I've illustrated in the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpionbetterreardesign.jpg  

Last edited by for_cars1 : 1st July 2022 at 14:18.
for_cars1 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:29   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay3832 View Post
Hello Everyone! Had 2 questions:
1. Can anyone explain the watts linkage and its advantage (read somewhere that the Endeavour had this and could be one of the reasons for it's superior ride quality for a BoF SUV).
2. Is the ScorpioN a full time 4x4 and you can switch between 4H and 4L only? - Visible from the pics, but could it also be that by default it is in 2WD and Switch to 4H or 4L when required?
1. Not getting into the technical side of it however Watts linkage will allow for a smoother ride (less side to side movement) in wavy or broken roads over higher speeds and you do not need to fight the steering to stay on course after you catch air time. Just to add, it does not mean ride quality will be superior - that will not be the first priority for a vehicle like this.

2. Part time 4x4 - Default 2WD and switchable to 4x4 on slippery surface.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 1st July 2022 at 14:30.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 15:01   #93
MMV
BHPian

Very well written review, in fact did not expect this one (review) to be out so quickly !

With this review, its very evident that based on features and positioning this SUV would eat into sales of cars up to Fortuner. However considering the 3rd row seat layout and size, the mile muncher Innova Crysta will be largely un affected by the Sting of Scorpio, esp. with its slated hybrid version (read better mileage)

Ride Quality and Handling

Quote:

• Go around curves at speed and there's the obvious body roll given the height of the car. What's noteworthy is that the roll is lesser than in the Scorpio Classic and you don't feel that nervous when you carry some speed into a corner in the Scorpio-N. There's a hint of understeer as well.

• Due to the heavy rains, we couldn't push the car hard on some of the twisty road sections, but from what we could gather, the Scorpio-N is a much better handler than the Scorpio Classic.
Would love to hear more on the handling part, esp considering tall design (high CoG), Original Scorpio being infamous for the toppling tendency.

Though not a direct comparable in terms of what the vehicle offers, my final choice of buying a Scorpio (long cherished dream when I saw it 20years back) will be based on a comparison (read TD with family) with Innova Crysta (mind vs heart fight!)
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 16:07   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMV View Post

Though not a direct comparable in terms of what the vehicle offers, my final choice of buying a Scorpio (long cherished dream when I saw it 20years back) will be based on a comparison (read TD with family) with Innova Crysta (mind vs heart fight!)
Vehicles like scorpio are bought only when heart prevails over mind!!
alokk0912 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:16   #95
BHPian

I am really looking forward to this one. Planning to get the 4WD MT Z8.

One issue, other than steel wheels and no allows in a 23L+ car, is that I am sure Mahindra will not give this variant AT tyres and if i want to keep the tyre profile after delivery I cant seem to find any AT tyres for 245/65 R17. so is there no option left other than increasing the profile?

Am I mistaken or this tyre size for AT is actually not available in the Indian market? I have checked many online portals.
kushgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:44   #96

As usual, such a wonderfully detailed analysis and review. One major reason I am hooked to reviews here are the photos that come along, and they are fabulous. I don't think, looking through the same car personally, I might have covered all the nooks and corners as described.

Coming to car itself, Scorpio-N seems like a very capable car for the price range it is competing in. I don't think it wants to mask itself as a Premium SUV in any way, as Mahindra seems to claim.

What it is, is a decent Family SUV that can move more people and more stuff 'safe' from point 'A' to point 'B' with nice road manners on any kind of terrain. I don't think most cars falling below 20L price bracket for a decent mid-range variant can offer all these and more. I am hooked.

Now Mahindra, Bring them EV's to town. Waiting for them.
Old 1st July 2022, 17:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

Lovely review! Thanks Omkar.

How does the diesel engine MT in Scorpio N compares with the one in XUV 500? I did have Scorpio in 2010 and upgraded it to XUV in 2017 which running fine without any hassle. I loved my Scorpio as well!

My first impression on comparison of the two with regards to engine performance is that XUV is still better. Am i correct?

I am not too keen on gadgetry enhancements
Old 1st July 2022, 18:09   #98
BHPian

Just saw the ScorpioN for precisely 3 mins.

It was like looking at the Alturas G4 from the front and even from the side. Well almost.

The interior is supremely improved. Seriously.

I hope to go see it on Sunday to get a closer, detailed look.

Mighty impressive.
fazalmirza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 18:36   #99
BHPian

Amazing review Mahindra has a new champion in the line up
I am definitely looking forward to this for my upgrade from Duster

Ride quality and boot space are the only placed where I am spoiled by current car and I have concerns on Scorpio N. Can any one let me know approx boot space with 3 rows and with 3rd row folded in litres
Old 1st July 2022, 18:50   #100
BHPian

Crisp review as usual, Nice Work.

My two cents on the Scorpio-N:
  • I agree that majority of the things in the new Scorpio are new and so the 'N' justifies the same. However, the reason the side facing seat and the last third row gate complemented each other was that it was a pretty easy ingress and exit. It was an arrangement where more people could board the car in less amount of time.
  • Now the only way to do that is to be dependent on the left side of the second row and climb to the third one. Remember the right side of the second row will not allow you to climb to the third row.
  • Lack of third row AC vents and other utilitarian spaces has actually killed the utility and comfort of the third row.
  • The third row takes a lot of space in the 'third row space' and acts like a luggage in itself defeating the purpose of an otherwise flat surface to keep more luggage.
  • I would consider the new Scorpio-N as a family tourer an utter failure just because of very poor space management.
  • Now who would fit in the whole family and go for an off-road so that the 4*4 system can be tested. I am pretty sure the third row kids (only kids can settle there) would curse the driver. In the earlier version there was almost 360 degrees of space to enjoy due to the arrangement of side facing seats and they were actually the USP of the car. Now you would have to sit completely locked up.
  • So a very bad decision to not include side facing seats that was not only comfortable for kids, but was also comfortable for adults.
  • Also considering that the third row space in the current XUV700 is even a bigger joke than Scorpio-N, now Tata Safari for that reason makes more sense.
  • So if I am looking for a family tourer (strictly for 6/7 people and some luggage), I would still stick with Safari or Innova Crysta with that kind of money (23-28 lakhs range) rather than saving 2-3 Lakhs and going for Scorpio-N.

Why:
  • Engine not less competitive than Scorpio's.
  • (In fact Crysta is known for its bullet proof reliable engines).
  • Space management much better than Scorpio's.
  • (You can stack 4 checkin and four carry-on bags in Crysta and still 5 adults including the driver can comfortably sit in the car, Imagine doing the same in Scorpio)

To summarize, Highly disappointed with the new Scorpio-N. If I were to drive a manual Scorpio, I would still pick up the older one with side facing seat as the Engine was more than adequate.

And for those who drive automatics, I would still recommend Safari or Crysta.

Best Regards,
Achint
achintatri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 19:04   #101
BHPian

Excellent review as always, considering the limited time you had with the car.
Also, those asking for ride quality in the 2nd row, please refer to serveral video reviews on You tube. Sireesh from EVO India was all praise for the vehicle and its dynamics...you could see he was totally in love with the vehicle. He was so smitten by it that he never bothered to give up the steering wheels and sit in the 2nd row. Nevertheless a big thumps up from him.

Renuka though, of Autocar, actually sat in the 2nd row and she was quite comfortable by her own admission. No tossing around like the old Scorpio; she even said that it was good even by Monocoque standards, perhaps not as much as the XUV700 but nothing to complain.

As for the 3rd row, Sireesh (5'9) struggled to sit there. Not sure how tall Renuka is but she found it useable for a reasonable length of time. So I am guessing anyone 5'3 or below would have no issues there.

Hope this helps.

Any idea on the expected mileage figures for the petrol and diesel? Thanks.

Last edited by akannath : 1st July 2022 at 19:33.
akannath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 19:11   #102
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

This decision would have been taken from the Safety testing point of view. With those side facing seats it is bound to fail that test for sure or probably get a low score and given the focus M&M have on Safety they wouldnt want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
Crisp review as usual, Nice Work.

My two cents on the Scorpio-N:

So a very bad decision to not include side facing seats that was not only comfortable for kids, but was also comfortable for adults.

Achint
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:15   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a quick dash to Zuleikha Mahindra at Velachery to check the Scorpio. While it wasn't crowded, people kept coming and checking it out and everyone had a smile on their face.

The new SCORPIO is IMPOSING. Looks way better in person than pics. After sitting in Scorpio, I personally couldn't appreciate XUV 700 as it felt something missing in the interior. The only selling point for XUV is the screens I guess.

Good space in the mid row. Space looked very similar in XUV & Scorpio in all rows. The 3rd in XUV is slightly more usable because of the (less) floor height. Getting into Scorpio 3rd row is a full on excercise in itself.

Am 6'2" and the comparo pics with XUV & Scorpio would give an idea on the size / presence

Without driving, if I may put a suggestion
1. Buy Scorpio if you need an SUV !! XUV can't match the street cred
2. Buy XUV if you want a better 3rd row
3. I liked the seats and brown color of Scorpio over the grey of XUV - gets soiled very fast
4. The demo car had Apollo Apterra tyres

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_125330578.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_125346579.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_125710575.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_125801296.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_125946275.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_125752721.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_125632298.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_125420202.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_125408370.mp.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pxl_20220701_131418765.jpg

PS :: If the ride quality/ handling traits / NVH are not too different, I'll pick up the Scorpio eyes closed over the XUV.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st July 2022 at 20:26.
swiftnfurious is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

I feel Mahindra should offer a 5 seater variant from the factory with no last row. 7 seaters are unused in 90% of the cases.
maddy42 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:23   #105
BHPian

Checked out the display vehicle at a Mahindra showroom. The size and presence of the car was way beyond my expectations. The photos and videos don’t do justice to it. I am absolutely sure that on the road, this will be as imposing (if not more) as any full size SUV - Fortuner, Endeavour, etc. After spending some time with it, I looked at the XUV 700 in the showroom and it looked noticeably smaller (even though XUV 700 is big enough in itself)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
One issue, other than steel wheels and no allows in a 23L+ car, is that I am sure Mahindra will not give this variant AT tyres and if i want to keep the tyre profile after delivery I cant seem to find any AT tyres for 245/65 R17. so is there no option left other than increasing the profile?

Am I mistaken or this tyre size for AT is actually not available in the Indian market? I have checked many online portals.
Are you planning to change just the tyres or rims as well (upgrade to alloys)? If the rims too, then might as well go for R18? Must also be easier to find R18 AT tyres given that several other cars like Fortuner and Thar come with R18 wheels.

By the way, my variant of choice is the same - Z8 MT 4wd. Will upgrade steel wheels to alloys and probably the same tyres (R17 may provide better ride quality?)

Thanks to @swiftnfurious, these are the R17 tyres that you get with Z8L MT. Probably the same with Z8 MT too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
4. The demo car had Apollo Apterra tyres

Attachment 2328187

Last edited by tarunjain : 1st July 2022 at 20:41. Reason: Added more content
tarunjain is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed