Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 20:27   #106
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
Planning to get the 4WD MT Z8.

I cant seem to find any AT tyres for 245/65 R17. so is there no option left other than increasing the profile?
I would consider 265/65 R17 BFGs if I plan to replace tyres.
LokiPilaniya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:33   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
I am really looking forward to this one. Planning to get the 4WD MT Z8.

One issue, other than steel wheels and no allows in a 23L+ car, is that I am sure Mahindra will not give this variant AT tyres and if i want to keep the tyre profile after delivery I cant seem to find any AT tyres for 245/65 R17. so is there no option left other than increasing the profile?

Am I mistaken or this tyre size for AT is actually not available in the Indian market? I have checked many online portals.
From what I gathered, the most common AT tyres readily available here in India in 17-inch is the old Fortuner size 265/65R17 and that's one option you possibly could upsize to, though the difference in circumference is around 3.4%. Ideally 255/65 R17 AT tyres would had been perfect upsize, but that appears like an odd size not available here.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:56   #108
BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra for upgrading leaps and bounds in all three of their recent cars from their respective previous generations. Both Thar and Scorpio have been updated as such that now they are not only rugged and abuse friendly but are also much more comfortable, upmarket, safer and have almost all the features.
Also after seeing Mahindra giving sliding seats in 2nd row a miss in both 700 and Scorpio N, I am getting a feeling that it's strategical decision and may be they want only their XUV 900 to be considered as a proper 7 seater.
Old 1st July 2022, 21:37   #109
BHPian

After watching N no of Youtube videos and reading almost all the posts from Team BHP, today couldn't resist to check out the beast in person. Headed to Anand Mahindra in Bannerghatta road in Bangalore and pleasantly surprised to see in person. Man this car looks so butch and truly justifies the Tag line of Big Daddy of SUV.

The large profile tires, the aggressive design , the visibility from the front seats, the dashboard layout blown me out. The build looks to be tough and the door closes with a nice thud. Like many have said you really need to see in person to justify the Big Daddy of SUV. The only bummer was the third row and the boot space. The third row is not at all comfortable for me even I am 5.6. Strictly for kids I would say.

Awaiting the test drive next week and would most probably will do the pre-booking with the SA. I am pampered with drive of my Duster and let's see what Big Daddy has to offer.
SNayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 21:47   #110
BHPian

In my opinion, I would get rid of the 3rd row seat if possible and use this as a 5 door version of the thar with more creature comforts and decent road manners with enough off road capability for my use.

I am sure many 5 seat suv hunters will probably think along the same lines. Has anyone figured out if the 3rd row can be removed for good?
ajitmoses is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 22:28   #111

A tastefully modified Scorpio N with blacked out bits will be super interesting. Full credit to @zephyr_designz.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-290691433_597103388397902_4300361280805827121_n.jpg  

hardikj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 23:04   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
  • So a very bad decision to not include side facing seats that was not only comfortable for kids, but was also comfortable for adults.
The side facing seats were most probably dropped due to negative impact on safety rating. And i personally am not a big fan of them.

But what baffles me is how it seems to be a last minute thought to remove the side facing seats. I just can't get over the stupidity of putting a vertical hinged door on this car. And then that tumble third row seat. It just shows the laziness and carelessness of the M&M team. A perfectly good looking car ruined by sheer laziness. This is where the non-indian brands even with thier lack of features and bells and whistles leave Indian brands behind.
I hope they fix this in the next iteration.

It actually irks me enough that I've convinced my brother in law to not book the Scorpio N.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd July 2022 at 09:28. Reason: fixed quote tag
Eleanor_Shelby is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 23:17   #113
BHPian

ScorpioN Suspension comparison vs Fortuner

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx1H_LD3G...d2N-uvlNyvER_T

With Fortuner and Endeavor

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx0lGfYyR...3-rUd0g5SuwaFR

Now, let's see how it really is when I get to drive it.

I found this reviewer giving probably the only direct comparison to D segmenters, while all the rest seem to be only referencing the ride quality of the previous generation Scorpio.
fazalmirza is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 23:17   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
I would consider 265/65 R17 BFGs if I plan to replace tyres.
So true. I have 265/65 R17 on my S10 AT (Apollo apterra AT2) and they are phenomenal. Have already finalised 255/65R18 Apollo Apterra AT2 if I get the Z8L AT 4x4 version.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-87db27d2b5a744f8bf93be6cc5b20408.jpeg
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 23:29   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Shelby View Post
  • So a very bad decision to not include side facing seats that was not only comfortable for kids, but was also comfortable for adults.

The side facing seats were most probably dropped due to negative impact on safety rating. And i personally am not a big fan of them.

But what baffles me is how it seems to be a last minute thought to remove the side facing seats. I just can't get over the stupidity of putting a vertical hinged door on this car. And then that tumble third row seat. It just shows the laziness and carelessness of the M&M team. A perfectly good looking car ruined by sheer laziness. This is where the non-indian brands even with thier lack of features and bells and whistles leave Indian brands behind.
I hope they fix this in the next iteration.

It actually irks me enough that I've convinced my brother in law to not book the Scorpio N.
Mr. Mahindra can walk upto the 7OO design team and ask them 'not to spoil it with handles', and yet he cannot ask his Scorpio team to give a proper tumbling 3rd row seat. I wonder.

By the way, the second row is not fully tumbleable. If that's even a word. But why Mr. A.G. Mahindra.

Everything, well, most things about this car is above par, but, for not so intuitive seat folding setup.
The Fortuner, too is a ladder frame suv, could have benchmarked this against it. Easy.

Probably copy paste last 2 meters of the Endeavor or Fortuner, become a World Daddy SUV.
Probably.

ScorpioN vs Xuv700

A nice comparison.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd July 2022 at 09:57. Reason: Back to back posts.
fazalmirza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 00:01   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitmoses View Post
In my opinion, I would get rid of the 3rd row seat if possible and use this as a 5 door version of the thar with more creature comforts and decent road manners with enough off road capability for my use.

I am sure many 5 seat suv hunters will probably think along the same lines. Has anyone figured out if the 3rd row can be removed for good?
Yes it can be removed it's bolted using nuts and bolts. When I went to check out the car couple of days ago another buyer did flip the 3rd seat and took measurements and he also confirmed from the sales representative that 3rd.row can be removed . He had plans to carry his pet and camping equipment's.
Dushie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 00:52   #117
Senior - BHPian

Came across this fuel effeciency test. Mumbai to Delhi. Started at 5pm and drove through the night.
Petrol Auto: 10.73kmpl
Real life could well be lower due to more crowded highways and poorer roads. The engine being run in might help FE though.

He talks of other aspects as well.
Poitive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 00:57   #118
BHPian

Rear of Scorpio looks way too tall due to vertical lights. I did some ugly job in photoshop and now it does look wide. What do you think? This can be done with black vinyl wrap to get the same look.

Original
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpion2.jpg

Edit
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpion0.jpg

Edit with black spoiler
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpion1.jpg
LokiPilaniya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 03:59   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
Rear of Scorpio looks way too tall due to vertical lights. I did some ugly job in photoshop and now it does look wide. What do you think? This can be done with black vinyl wrap to get the same look.

Original
Attachment 2328239

Edit
Attachment 2328237

Edit with black spoiler
Attachment 2328238
Nice!
What if the applique above the number plate is blacked out, or given the chrome treatment?
fazalmirza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay3832 View Post
Hello Everyone! Had 2 questions:
1. Can anyone explain the watts linkage and its advantage (read somewhere that the Endeavour had this and could be one of the reasons for it's superior ride quality for a BoF SUV).
2. Is the ScorpioN a full time 4x4 and you can switch between 4H and 4L only? - Visible from the pics, but could it also be that by default it is in 2WD and Switch to 4H or 4L when required?
Watts linkage is not anything new. Infact it is quite an old setup, the advantage over a panhard link is that it dampens side by side movement on undulations which is a feature of many body on frame SUVs. If you google it up, you will see it is a uniquely shaped horizontal rod connecting the two rear wheels, has little to do with vertical ride quality and actual helps side by side movement damping. You can read more here: https://mechanicalengineering.blog/w...d-application/

The scorpioN is a 4*4 and not an awd. It is primarily a rear wheel drive and using the 4*4 low/high button you can drive the front wheel whenever you wish.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks