Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:34   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

A great review of an iconic product lineage. The product has definitely evolved especially the bouncy ride part.

Also the point I keep thinking is if one needs space + first 2 rows, the luggage space remains very fragmented. Is there any clarity on that aspect? I would still prefer this be used in a 2+3 mode rather than 2+3+2. Given that need that boot remains questionable.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:35   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Shelby View Post
last minute thought to remove the side facing seats... can't get over the stupidity of putting a vertical hinged door... shows the laziness and carelessness... good looking car ruined by sheer laziness... hope they fix this in the next iteration...
I am not sure how much thought you have put before making those statements.

This is not like a software bug to fix in the next iteration. Stupidity to put vertical hinge? Sir, this is called as Scorpio N for a reason. It is evolved out of Scorpio, something that lived through two decades in all its glory and now how does it makes sense to comment that you rip apart its head and tail?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 2nd July 2022 at 09:52.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:52   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
One issue, other than steel wheels and no allows in a 23L+ car, is that I am sure Mahindra will not give this variant AT tyres and if i want to keep the tyre profile after delivery I cant seem to find any AT tyres for 245/65 R17. so is there no option left other than increasing the profile?
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-tire.jpg

This is the stock size. Tire's nomenclature is AS by MRF Wandered size in our media car, (no AT / MT or HT), I am not sure what does AS stands for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
From what I gathered, the most common AT tyres readily available here in India in 17-inch is the old Fortuner size 265/65R17 and that's one option you possibly could upsize to, though the difference in circumference is around 3.4%. Ideally 255/65 R17 AT tyres would had been perfect upsize, but that appears like an odd size not available here.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:13   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Attachment 2328255

This is the stock size. Tire's nomenclature is AS by MRF Wandered size in our media car, (no AT / MT or HT), I am not sure what does AS stands for.
A/S - All Seasons perhaps! If so, not sure how it suits Indian long hot climate and 2-3 months cold, though it should offers maximum traction in wet condition, as well as better grip in dry condition.

A few videos on Night lighting

And different colors in close up

Last edited by iTNerd : 2nd July 2022 at 10:19.
iTNerd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:31   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Shelby View Post
The side facing seats were most probably dropped due to negative impact on safety rating. And i personally am not a big fan of them.

But what baffles me is how it seems to be a last minute thought to remove the side facing seats. I just can't get over the stupidity of putting a vertical hinged door on this car. And then that tumble third row seat. It just shows the laziness and carelessness of the M&M team. A perfectly good looking car ruined by sheer laziness. This is where the non-indian brands even with thier lack of features and bells and whistles leave Indian brands behind.
I hope they fix this in the next iteration.

It actually irks me enough that I've convinced my brother in law to not book the Scorpio N.
+1
It does seem that the initial idea would have been to include the side-facing seats.

Also, it seems a bit weird to me - why would they have a door handle on the inside for the rear door when you have front-facing seats, or am I missing something? Even the previous-gen Scorpios had this - but then they had side-facing seats

Name:  2022mahindrascorpio47.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  97.3 KB

Also not providing a flat floor in the boot is a big miss. At least they could have come up with some kind of a detachable strong floor shelf if understandably the Ladder Frame structure did not provide the convenience to do so structurally!
BoxBox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:51   #126
BHPian

All this talk about Big Daddy and you get luggage space much less than even Thar, with all 3 rows of seats up. Even if you think you can compromise on the luggage space, the third row (just like the XUV and Classic) is best suited for kids at best.

I just dont get why M&M won't properly address the 3rd row space. There is always some catch. Wonder if the back seats were raised about an inch and half, at least thigh support would have be decent, considering they had a kink in the roof for the headroom part.

How difficult would it have been to add sliding rails to the second row? Adding to that, saw a review video showing one touch Tumble down only for one side on the captain seat variant.

Strange omissions on a car that talks about being Big.

While I believe it is leap and bounds ahead of the Classic, i still think it could have been a lot better.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd July 2022 at 11:44. Reason: u = you. No SMS language please. Thanks.
daywiz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 11:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I see Michelin is offering Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyre (255/60R18 112W XL SUV), which might be a perfect size match to what Scorpion N offers as their stock size. Not sure what does '112W XL" mean, and would you recommend getting the Scorpio's stock tyres exchanged with Michelin immediately after the delivery?

Typically, how much would the tyre dealer offer for newly exchanged stock tyres straight off after delivery of a new vehicle?

Please share your views/input. Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:07   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
PS :: If the ride quality/ handling traits / NVH are not too different, I'll pick up the Scorpio eyes closed over the XUV.
Few more thoughts as I gather.

1. You have to use the side step and "climb" into the car
2. Even while getting out, I had to use the side step, inspite of me being 6'2"
3. The front seats can accommodate a wider frame than mine
4. Both XUV & Scorpio didn't have the key inside the vehicle when I say, I could still operate all power windows; but couldn't turn on the head units in both cars
5. None of the doors felt heavy !! May be because I am used to the heavy Fiesta doors - same with XUV.
6. I have had space issues in the Scorpio classic in the driver seat and middle row - ScorpioN is much better
7. Lots of headroom in the middle row too, in the Scorpio
swiftnfurious is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:13   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
All this talk about Big Daddy and you get luggage space much less than even Thar, with all 3 rows of seats up. Even if you think you can compromise on the luggage space, the third row (just like the XUV and Classic) is best suited for kids at best.

I just dont get why M&M won't properly address the 3rd row space. There is always some catch. Wonder if the back seats were raised about an inch and half, at least thigh support would have be decent, considering they had a kink in the roof for the headroom part.
Seriously, this whole 3rd row goof up in space management can still be corrected by just offering a 5 seater variant.

Just engineer a flatter floor to gobble up a lot of luggage, stuff etc.

Try an inch and a half with custom made cushions or even a blanket.

By the way, have a look at this vibration test. Incredible feat for a Scorpio.

fazalmirza is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:20   #130
BHPian

My theory about retaining the boot opening mechanism from the inside is that once GNCAP rating is out, M&M will start offering it with the side facing seats as well. There is a huge demand of this product in the rural areas and for security detailing purposes who would need side facing seats. For one, 4 people can sit in the side facing seats (with a bit of squeeze, a common phenomenon in rural areas) and second, security detail can jump out from the boot door to take care of the "Boss" whenever needed.
TSIched'Out is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 13:21   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post

By the way, have a look at this vibration test. Incredible feat for a Scorpio.

Perhaps the YouTube fellow has not experienced mHawk before.

The very utilitarian Bolero's 3 Cyl mHawk will put many premium diesel engines to shame when it comes to NVH.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 13:44   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I am not sure how much thought you have put before making those statements.

This is not like a software bug to fix in the next iteration. Stupidity to put vertical hinge? Sir, this is called as Scorpio N for a reason. It is evolved out of Scorpio, something that lived through two decades in all its glory and now how does it makes sense to comment that you rip apart its head and tail?
A bit more thought than M&M did before releasing a car where the tailgate doesn't make any logical sense. If they have planned the car throughout with the side facing seats then they didn't consider third row safety a major concern in the design phase. Third row safety as it seems was an after thought. They compromised on user experience and usability and made an ad-hoc change in the name of safety last minute. And btw you're still sitting on bolted seats that'll play like a musical instrument after a while.

A responsible big daddy would have reiterated the design and integrated the third row properly and fixed the tail gate accordingly even if it delayed the launch. Or bit the bullet on safety and just gone with side facing seats with a promise to update it later.

This in my book would be either laziness or utter disregard for the consumer thinking the fanboys would just eat it up and we'll fix it later if they notice it. Or hey atleast we have them more bells and whistles.

If it was a software bug i would have been more forgiving cause they are hard to find. This keep glaring back at you and saying how could you miss this? This is a major usability flaw.

Also Scorpio Classic is a behemoth of the Indian SUV market and this is a goodlooking iteration of it. But just because you come from a great pedigree doesn't mean you can't be criticized for your flaws. And this sort of a flaw is unforgivable in a 20L + car. Can you imagine a Hyundai launching a car that has this sort of a flaw. M&M and Tata if they wanna compete with the foreign car companies in thier country they can't just keep using misdirection with thier bells and whistles to distract from such glaring usability flaws.

And to be honest i didn't rip apart it's head and tail.. just the tail.
Eleanor_Shelby is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:09   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Came across this fuel effeciency test. Mumbai to Delhi. Started at 5pm and drove through the night.
Petrol Auto: 10.73kmpl
Real life could well be lower due to more crowded highways and poorer roads. The engine being run in might help FE though.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=teJtbHiT1Pc&t=957

He talks of other aspects as well.
Saw this video yesterday and still wondering whether to go with Scorpio N Petrol AT or XUV 700 Petrol AT (given my monthly usage of 150 kms). XUV 700 Petrol is also giving around 10-12kmpl. So there's not much there.

Other option is I change to Diesel AT engine and start travelling more (at least once a month) !!

But my feedback is that XUV 700 is more comfortable and it can go pretty much anywhere (dont mean off roading), negating the need for a part time 4x4 in Scorpio N
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:46   #134
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Trying to answer each of your queries here as a Michelin Pilot Sports 4 user ( car tyres).
Pilot Sport SUV tyres are mostly road and highway usage focused.

They definitely score high on ride comfort, reduced braking distance at highway speeds, excellent traction around corners including the sweeping curves that one encounters on highways, excellent performance including braking in wet conditions.

These are made of a softer compound and their flexible sidewalls will also help in road noise reduction.

Yes they are a worthy upgrade to the stock tyres being offered on the Scorpio and various other SUVs.

112W XL - 112 means the tyre can handle a load of 1100-1150 kg per tyre. W is the speed rating and in this case means that under optimal load conditions these tyres are able to be driven at a maximum speed of 168 miles per hour or 270 kmpl. XL means Extra Load carrying capacity basically heavy duty.

If your envisaged usage pattern is primarily with family and 90-95% on-road and highways with perhaps some very occasional need based driving on mud tracks, trails and non paved surfaces, then these Michelin Pilot Sports 4 SUV tyres are definitely worth buying and installing immediately after purchasing the new Scorpio.

In order to get the best value for your OEM tyres you will have to make the arrangements to have these Michelins ready at your friendly tyre dealer and drive straight there immediately after taking delivery of your Scorpio so that you ensure that the OEM tyres are as good as brand new.

Else you can buy the Michelins in advance and while the Scorpio is still with the dealer and provided you’ve finished the payment formalities, you can switch the tyres over. And take the ‘unused’ OEM ones to your tyre dealer. In this latter scenario you’ll have to consider how far off your Scorpio dealer is from your Tyre dealer because you will have to drive there very slowly so as to get the new tyres properly balanced and aligned auto ensure their care and longevity.

However, whichever way you go, in order to extract a good bargain for your OEM tyres you ll definitely have to haggle a bit with the tyre dealer.

You should be able to get approx 60-70% of the price of a new tyre of the same size and spec to be offset gains your purchase of the new Michelins. Sometime you may be lucky and get more. There is no thumb rule in this case - it is all down to your relationship with the tyre dealer and your haggling skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNL_Bandi View Post
Typically, how much would the tyre dealer offer for newly exchanged stock tyres straight off after delivery of a new vehicle?

Please share your views/input. Thanks.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd July 2022 at 14:53.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 15:12   #135
BHPian

Also, it seems a bit weird to me - why would they have a door handle on the inside for the rear door when you have front-facing seats, or am I missing something

I think it is for safety and exit of 3rd row passengers in case the car topples due to accident.
Gaddibuddy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed