Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2022, 23:44   #151
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Good short and crisp review. Can you pls help on below queries:

- I see the tyres as all season (A/S) on vehicles doing that off-roading track, will 4WD vehicle come with these tyres or A/T ?
- Any stat on departure/approach/ramp over angles ?
- Any info on crawl ration in 4L

Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2022, 23:48   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBox View Post
+1
It does seem that the initial idea would have been to include the side-facing seats.

Also, it seems a bit weird to me - why would they have a door handle on the inside for the rear door when you have front-facing seats, or am I missing something? Even the previous-gen Scorpios had this - but then they had side-facing seats

Attachment 2328263

Also not providing a flat floor in the boot is a big miss. At least they could have come up with some kind of a detachable strong floor shelf if understandably the Ladder Frame structure did not provide the convenience to do so structurally!
Worst fear come true could be that the Scorpio N base model still gets launched with side facing seats. This could be due to two reasons:

1 Many Scorpio fans like it that way. So to retain them, they may give it as an option.
2 Force the buyers to buy higher variants. They are already doing so by not providing alloy wheels in W8 MT.

But such seating arrangement fared badly in NCAP so this should stop them from doing so atleast in the initial batch and they might do so subsequently.
Old 3rd July 2022, 00:26   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

If you observe all the 7 seaters ...., somehow they have shied away from providing good boot space. The theme is "No practical boot space with all 3 rows up". This "low luggage space" theme seems to have been well accepted by buyers and users and doesn't look like a real issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

Ref. lack of space in XUV500/700 and now the new ScorpioN when all seats up,
This is intentionally-designed ... and not an oversight. The "purpose" of a lack of boot space is to discourage taxi registrations. .......
For all others the dual-mode Mahindras will definitely work. Believe me, that's why I have booked the 700 for replacing my 10-year-old 500. Cheers!
Thank you for this post, I finally got a logical response for the intentional lack of boot space, that seems to be perfectly fine for non-taxi buyers

After all it cannot be due to any technical limitation to provide the boot space for such capable OEMs.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 3rd July 2022 at 00:29.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 02:51   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
... still wondering whether to go with Scorpio N Petrol AT or XUV 700 Petrol AT (given my monthly usage of 150 kms). XUV 700 Petrol is also giving around 10-12kmpl. So there's not much there.

Other option is I change to Diesel AT engine and start travelling more (at least once a month) !!

But my feedback is that XUV 700 is more comfortable and it can go pretty much anywhere (dont mean off roading), negating the need for a part time 4x4 in Scorpio N
With 150kms/month FE should be the last of your concerns, considering the depreciation, opportunity cost of investment, insurance, maintenance etc one pays over the vehicle's lifetime. I'd say, a quiter car not used (Petrol) is worse than a somewhat loud/rough car which is used (Diesel) - so I'd vote for the Diesel if it makes you travel more, mate. Use those fixed costs better

Unless you go off-road, with your kind of mileage, even vehicle abuse might not be any significant concern, which again tilts things towards the XUV700; but why hurry? I'd say take your call only after a TD - you just might enjoy the familiarity of the BoF you've had for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
5. My driver is barely 5'11 and he had trouble sitting on the passenger side. Headroom was a major issue for him. Had just about 2 finger room at best. I asked him to check the front passenger seat headroom in XUV7OO standing next to us. He had an easy 3 fingers on there. Crazy isn't it. We tried different combinations but eventually resigned to the fact that this monster of a vehicle has less headroom in front. That was a wow moment.
Thanks for sharing the observations mate.

This above is suprising and quite the opposite of what the picture in this post by @nerd1200 suggests, where the complaint was of too much headroom and the seat not being high enough, leading to a poor view. Almsot sounds like Mahindra using differnet seat heights

On a realted note, as mentioned in the Choosing an SUV thread, I have had an issue in the XUV700 passenger seat as well. My head touches the ceiling speaker if I sit without a slouch and bend forward. Though only 6' I'm not one with long legs and do have a long torso. Ingress and Egress to the passenger side is an issue too due to a high seat, as the aperture between the seat and top of door opening is insufficent. Bending forward too is an issue due to the A pillar slanting quite a bit, presumably for aerodynamic purposes. I hope the ScorpioN is better.

Last edited by Poitive : 3rd July 2022 at 02:58. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 06:55   #155
Team-BHP Support

Great review Omkar and Sheel. Its not easy to get this level of detail with just a half a day with the car and limited time to put it out and across. Superbly done indeed.

The Scorpio N is certainly a big step forward for brand Scorpio. I don’t feel as smitten with the exterior looks although the interior snazziness is where its made the most important improvements. The third row design is my biggest disappointment. As someone who loves flexi / modular seating, the third row seems pointless to me. It leaves no luggage room with the seat up, and makes it harder to use the space with it folded down. Dropping two rows creates uneven surfaces and what not. If I were to ever buy this car I’d probably chuck the thing out outright if I could.

Coming to the product itself, while every product has a target audience that it appeals to, for me it falls a bit in no man’s land.

If I wanted a more sophisticated two row SUV, I’d prefer the XUV 7OO with its monocoque design emphasis and the additional plushness it brings to the table.

If I really wanted the additional ruggedness of BOF, I’d pick the 5 door iteration of the Thar for (what I’m assuming) is the additional character it would bring despite the (what I’m assuming) the slight loss of additional space and practicality that the Scorpio N would offer. It would still be more practical than the 3 door Thar and I’m hoping and assuming would still be a lot cooler to use than the Scorpio N (debatable of course).

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd July 2022 at 09:19. Reason: Minor typo.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 06:58   #156

Mahindra ScropioN will shatter all its rivals, No doubt about that. But don't get me wrong here, Is it just me who thinks this SUV is too short in length for my liking? I wish it could have been a bit lengthier to contemplate its massive size.
Old 3rd July 2022, 08:53   #157
BHPian

For those of us who go with Manual transmission of Scorpio N, we will get 17 inch wheels (R17). But most showrooms currently have Auto variants on display which have 18 inch wheels (R18). If you are curious to find out how they look and which tyres come as stock, I managed to find a manual transmission variant at one of the showrooms. Here are some pictures:

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpionr17-4.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpionr17-1.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpionr17-2.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpionr17-3.jpeg

Last edited by tarunjain : 3rd July 2022 at 09:04.
tarunjain is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:16   #158
Senior - BHPian

I’m not in the market to buy a car immediately, but both the Scorpio-N and XUV700 have really made me re-think!

For reference I drive a 2018 1.6 Creta Diesel and my wife has a 2018 Elite i20, and we usually replace our cars once in 5-6 years, so going by that logic we should replace our cars only by 2024 or so. Anyway, this is the reason I did not test drive the XUV700 when it was launched ( also because of the ridiculously long waiting period for the test drive itself in the showrooms )

But I was certainly curious about the Scorpio-N, and checked it out on the day of launch. It just feels very well put together! The third row is the only sore point, when folded you cannot really stack luggage properly and neither is it really useful as a 7 seater due to the space that the third row offers.

I had some time yesterday, so I went with my wife and 10 year old son to test drive the Safari and the XUV700 back to back. I really want to like the Safari, but man, it’s just a whole generation behind the XUV700, in terms of fit, finish and just everything else! The XUV700 is on a whole different level and car is pretty quick and agile! I’m sorry and no offence to any Safari fans, but there is no competition between the two. Many reviews have pegged both of these cars a lot closer, but in reality it’s not so. Mahindra have really engineered these cars very well now.

I’m going to be test driving the Scorpio-N later this week, if it’s not as impressive as the XUV700, then I may just book the XUV700 and wait it out for a year or so.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 10:52   #159
Senior - BHPian

Interview with Veejay Nakra, talks about : Big Daddy tagline, cross shopping with XUV700, AT and 4×4 pricing strategy, having multiple variants, waiting periods and more.

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:07   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by waypoint View Post
However, on the passenger side, I could see wires, some of them having naked ends and which children can lay their end on. Moreover, all of that is expected to be concealed, if it is not, there goes all engineering down the drain due to lack of common sense.

The below is what I have seen in all the Scorpio-N that I have come across till now, 3 of them.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpionunderdashboard.jpg

One just need to slide hand under the dashboard on passenger side to access them - they seem to extend the holding panel of glovebox and they do not require Kanoon Ke Hath. Or one, alternately, easily access them with their toes. For taking revenge with someone, make them sit on the passenger seat and make them put their body parts under the glovebox by putting some kind of bait there for them . Hope, the ability to take revenge by giving electrical shocks is not a hidden feature of this BigDaddyOfSUVs, like it was in Tarzan The Wonder Car. I wonder if any other car has this kind of mess? This is a complete deal breaker for me.

I also wonder about none of the reviews on YouTube covering these hazardous quality issues. In both showrooms, I was told that all these display cars are preproduction cars and the final cars may not have this. I doubt that though. However, no showrooms were aware of these quality issues but they did agree about these being hazardous quality misses and they both promised that they will urgently escalate this appropriately to Mahindra.

As said earlier, I need to look at XUV 700 too carefully now as something like this might be hidden there too - chances are high as this can typically happen when quality aspects were lacking in the processes. If I find such quality issues in XUV 700 too, I will cancel my booking.

Last edited by waypoint : 3rd July 2022 at 11:12. Reason: Corrected bold and italic tags
waypoint is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 12:44   #161
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Dad and I went and saw the ScorpioN again and I viewed it a little more critically today.

Everything is nice about the Scorpio except the luggage bay design and the last row of seats which in my book are superfluous.

Best to have made the Scorpio a 5 seater with capacious luggage space instead of trying to desperately serve this 7 seater fad.

Why not let Innova and XL6 and Carens and all those vehicles serve the 7 seater market and focus cleanly on a superb go anywhere grand tourer - 5 seater plus luggage.

Details;

The third row is irritating. When folded down it becomes like a standalone. When the second row also is folded down there is a big gap in between the second and third rows. The whole luggage bay does not provide a clean flat storage surface.

If the third row is folded and tumbled then there is some decent space but with the third row completely removed the luggage space is better. Sadly just below that third row is a sort of a depression and this doesnt help.

Ideally the whole floor ought to have been flat. And the second row should have tumble folded like the old scorpio and thus created a nice large flat luggage hold bay with the tumbled second row acting as a natural shield against shifting objects of luggage.

They really should have planned good luggage stays and hooks and nets.

In summation Im just saying again- this is a very Imposing vehicle. Very heavy bonnet and good solid feel. Doors shut solidly too. Driving position is lovely.

A perfect go-anywhere, comfortable and tough grand tourer for a family of 4 or 5 and their luggage. All that we have to do is remove that superfluous last row of seats and there we are!

And People: Dont hate me for saying this and dont think Im saying this as a Skoda fanboy. But as a fully paid up Skoda Yeti owner for around 8-9 years, I would ask that we just take a good look at that 13 -14 year old design and how clever it was in terms of variable seating as well as luggage management.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-d64c28f9afe74f7681565aecccfd121f.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-e0e8f6a9caab4e95ae4d51135906898c.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-6839c6ab2fdb48fa9ad39d90857f1a72.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-1529f67454a848dcb9be0933857c6b78.jpeg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-89a81d05ba114e86962776e0da15874e.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 13:47   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why not let Innova and XL6 and Carens and all those vehicles serve the 7 seater market and focus cleanly on a superb go anywhere grand tourer - 5 seater plus luggage.
I couldn't agree with you more and I believe there are no other vehicles in the segment/price bracket with same hardcore capabilities on offer as Scorpio-N.

I've plans to upgrade my car next year around festivals and I'm specifically looking for a proper 4x4 with minimum 5 seats + luggage capacity. Scorpio-N ticks everything but I'm still in hope for the 5 door version of Thar.

Btw I saw some posts mentioning that 3rd row doesn't have a latch or hold mechanism when folded and tumbled. There is a strap under the 3rd row on the right side which can be looped around 2nd row headrest to lock it in place.
Old 3rd July 2022, 14:50   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Everything is nice about the Scorpio except the luggage bay design and the last row of seats which in my book are superfluous.

Best to have made the Scorpio a 5 seater with capacious luggage space instead of trying to desperately serve this 7 seater fad.

Details;

The third row is irritating. When folded down it becomes like a standalone. When the second row also is folded down there is a big gap in between the second and third rows. The whole luggage bay does not provide a clean flat storage surface.

If the third row is folded and tumbled then there is some decent space but with the third row completely removed the luggage space is better. Sadly just below that third row is a sort of a depression and this doesnt help.

Ideally the whole floor ought to have been flat. And the second row should have tumble folded like the old scorpio and thus created a nice large flat luggage hold bay with the tumbled second row acting as a natural shield against shifting objects of luggage.

They really should have planned good luggage stays and hooks and nets.
Scorpio N ticks many good boxes over its previous avatar and current competition.
However, there is one aspect that needs to be considered by a prospective owner - something which is lightly touched by many reviewers but pointed here my many bhpians.
It is about the luggage space - not just about the lack of it but how inefficiently designed it is even with seats folded away .
To begin with, there is no sparewheel on the tailgate (boot door) , but under it. In that case, I don't find any strong reason for the boot to have been designed as a swing out gate rather than a open up hatch.
Swing out type tailgates were the norm when SUVs had sparewheels on tailgate and rear passenger used to climb in from the back .
But they have their disadvantages-
1. on a down/up slope, they need to be carefully operated otherwhise can lead to unintended closing in or swinging out.
2. Also, a swinging out gate needs more space , especially important when the vehicle is reversed against another vehicle or a solid object like wall/lamp post/tree etc.,
3. Swing out tailgates rarely open more than 90deg. So, they do block a part of the boot opening space which makes it tricky when loading oversized objects.

I have been driving a TUV 300 for past 5 years and many times during this ownership I have come across these shortcomings of swing out tail gate.

Clearly in this case of Scorpio N, they should have gone for the open-up hatch type of door, which would have avoided all those disadvantages. They only reason I can think of for still retaining this old trait is to give SUV vibes differentiating Scorpion N from XUV700.
Once we somehow get over the tailgate design, we have to come to terms with how seats fold down/out to liberate boot space when needed. Even Tiber does excellent job of space liberation by giving ample options to re arrange seats. M&M overlooked this aspect and it is upto prospective buyer to decide how important this space management is to their usage.
deetee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 15:00   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
With 150kms/month FE should be the last of your concerns, considering the depreciation, opportunity cost of investment, insurance, maintenance etc one pays over the vehicle's lifetime. I'd say, a quiter car not used (Petrol) is worse than a somewhat loud/rough car which is used (Diesel) - so I'd vote for the Diesel if it makes you travel more, mate. Use those fixed costs better

Unless you go off-road, with your kind of mileage, even vehicle abuse might not be any significant concern, which again tilts things towards the XUV700; but why hurry? I'd say take your call only after a TD - you just might enjoy the familiarity of the BoF you've had for years.

Thanks for sharing the observations mate.
Thanks for the inputs Buddy Just came back from Mahindra showroom after looking checking out the new Scorpio. Below are my observations:

1. It really looks big and the pictures don't do justice to its actual size and road presence. It does deserve the moniker of Big Daddy
2. Once could sense the its ruggedness (over XUV700) just by sitting inside for a few minutes. I checked out XUV 700 again after this
3. 3rd row seats are suitable only for small kids

With this a lot of my doubts (reg XUV 700 or Scorpio N) have been resolved too. Given my minimal running and to avoid the pitfalls of future Diesel engine bans in other metros, I have decided to go for the Petrol variant. And XUV700 AT fits the bill for being more fun, comfortable and easier to drive.

Having said that if I were to be 10 years younger, I would have bought Scorpio N in a flash...its that kind of a car !! It is a very tough decision to not select the new Scorpio after driving it for last 13 years. So I will keep it too
JKBKS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 15:48   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Having said that if I were to be 10 years younger, I would have bought Scorpio N in a flash...its that kind of a car !! It is a very tough decision to not select the new Scorpio after driving it for last 13 years. So I will keep it too
On a lighter note, age is just a number and you can still enjoy scorpio with jackets, boots et al Best wishes for a great ownership experience with your XUV 700!
alokk0912 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed