Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2022, 01:38   #181
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post

So in XUV7OO the curtain airbags reach the 3rd row while in the ever caring Daddy the they end in 2nd row itself.
I recently visited the showroom to check out the car and the showroom in Delhi provided me with the car’s brochure. Although i know this picture you attached is from the online brochure the picture is slightly different.

Here it is clearly visible that the airbag extends to the third row just like the xuv. I think it might be a image rendering issue or some other thing that leads to this confusion.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-715e521a421f4b2598e15e767c743026.jpeg
kushgandhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 07:39   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

Driving the Mahindra Scorpio-N 2.2L Diesel AT

• On the highway, the turbo-diesel builds up speed strongly. You can floor the accelerator and it'll reach triple-digit speeds quickly enough.

• In terms of cruisability, the Scorpio-N can cruise calmly at 100 & 120 km/h at 1,900 & 2,100 rpm respectively.
How annoying/loud was the warning beep/sound after 120 KMPH speeds?
Does it keep buzzing constantly after 120 KMPH?
I read on a different thread that this warning sound can be disabled in certain cars through the aftermarket. Do you reckon this is doable without impacting the warranty? Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 09:10   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
Do we have an idea of what mileage to expect from the Diesel? Any reviews covering this please? I have seen one where they put to test the petrol variant on a long highway drive and it returned 10-11 Kmpl.
You may get some idea in this.
rooster.ram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:22   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
With so much discussed over here regarding the 3rd row and how its rendered useless as no split seats and they tumble forward eating up 40% of boot space, did any one see the layout of curtain airbags in brochure?

So in XUV7OO the curtain airbags reach the 3rd row while in the ever caring Daddy the they end in 2nd row itself.

Also major concern is the absence of the most important airbag: Driver's Knee even in the top most variant. No AC vents for 3rd row too. Such a step motherly treatment with 3rd row..! Why mahindra why?

With all these I really hope Mahindra rethinks and gives us one additional variant with 5 seats and proper flat boot. Flat boot can be created by adding a partition over the dips in the boot.
When they never intended to provide the same treatment to 3rd row, totally missing out the row and having a flat boot would have been much better. God knows what they were thinking.

Anybody from Delhi/GZB/Noida/GGN here who know of white car displayed at showroom near you?

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 4th July 2022 at 10:28.
Old 4th July 2022, 10:31   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
https://Youtu.be/YVWPmbYnSWc
Thanks for sharing our video. We got a consistent 13-15 kmpl from Pune to Delhi. This includes ghats, not caring for economy, load of 5 people, SUV parked with A/C on etc.
BunnyPunia is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 11:00   #186
BHPian

There are umpteen number of videos of Scorpio N now on youtube for automatic gearbox, but only two or three on manual gearbox feedback.

Question to mods, werent there any manuals on offer for the media drive? was there any restriction/ reluctance from M&M on manual versions?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th July 2022 at 11:03. Reason: spacing for improved readability
rooster.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:11   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
Do we have an idea of what mileage to expect from the Diesel? Any reviews covering this please? I have seen one where they put to test the petrol variant on a long highway drive and it returned 10-11 Kmpl.
I saw this video as well. While the driver claims he drove all the way from Mumbai to Delhi during the night driving at an average of 110 KMPH, but at the end of the 23 hour trip, he shows a glimpse of the central console and the average speed for the whole trip is reading as 69 KPH. So my guess is the auto journalist would have done an artificial "stretch-the-tank trip", traveling at 80 KMPH or something making sure to pick the journey time when the roads are empty overnight. M&M have obviously provided him with a ScorpioN and not any other journalist, so would not be surprised if there were some strings attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
https://Youtu.be/YVWPmbYnSWc
Although most reviews claim the 6th gear is tall, however both this review and the team-bhp review say 100 KMPH on the Diesel Auto comes up at 1900 RPM. My Thar 2020 Diesel Auto does 100 KMPH at 1600 RPM. So it does not seem to me that the gearing is all that tall. This could also be because the gear ratio is the same but the engine has to work harder to haul the extra couple of 100 KGs of the ScorpioN versus the Thar. Either way, I do not think the Diesel is going to be a mileage leader. For someone who does a steady 110-115 KPH on highways, I would expect a sub-10 KPL fuel efficiency on the ScorpioN especially the 4WD version with the extra hardware on board.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 4th July 2022 at 14:23.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:22   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I saw this video as well. While the driver claims he drove all the way from Mumbai to Delhi during the night driving at an average of 110 KMPH, but at the end of the 23 hour trip, he shows a glimpse of the central console and the average speed for the whole trip is reading as 69 KPH. So my guess is the auto journalist would have done an artificial "stretch-the-tank trip", traveling at 80 KMPH or something making sure to pick the journey time when the roads are empty overnight. M&M have obviously provided him with a ScorpioN and not any other journalist, so would not be surprised if there were some strings attached.
The ScorpioN was provided to every journalist who wanted to drive it back to their destination city. i myself drove back a diesel AT to Mumbai from Pune after the media drive. Driving at speeds of 70 to 90 kph, I managed around 14 kpl. Point to note, I have a very light foot.

Drove it for a couple of days in urban city traffic in Mumbai and I managed between 10 and 11.5 kpl. This included bumper to bumper traffic as well.
Dippy is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:31   #189
BHPian

Just came across this video where Mr Velusamy explains the Scorpio structure and other details with the actual frame, Body in white etc. It is in Tamil. For those who can follow Tamil, this might be informative.

sreejithkk is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:48   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
I seriously fail to understand this difference between add to cart and payment of booking amount period of 25 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
the Add to Cart will be used by Mahindra to gauge the demand for variants and colours so that they can plan the production cycle efficiently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
The Add to cart is unconditional. The sole purpose of it is analytics; the user-generated date is gauged for variant + color demand per dealership.
While the add-to-cart being used for demand prediction for the purpose of production planning is the stated purpose (and possibly a valid one too), I don't think that's the primary purpose. We should not forget that Mahindra has not announced the prices yet for AT and 4wd variants. These two together will easily be a significant majority of their sales. This means that a majority of add-to-carts between 5th July and 21st July will be done without knowing the prices. If Mahindra's only goal was production planning, it would have been achieved much more accurately by letting customers know prices of all the variants.

Given the expected demand, Mahindra has the luxury of getting a lot of useful data to optimize their pricing for maximizing their profit margins. There will be two opportunities for Mahindra to use this data and optimize their pricing:

1. Based on the add-to-carts starting 5th July, Mahindra will be able to decide how much premium can they charge for Automatic transmission and 4wd. Given the unusual feature disparity between AT and MT of the same variant, it can be expected that even the MT vs. AT pricing gap may not be uniform across variants. For example, Z8 MT gets R17 steel rims while Z8L MT gets R17 alloy rims. But both Z8 AT and Z8L AT get R18 alloy rims.

2. After 21st July price announcement, people may change their carts. This will give them additional data. How will they use it? Let's not forget that all these prices are applicable only for the first 25,000 bookings. New prices will be announced again on 30th July for bookings thereafter. While they can't reduce prices, but what they can still play with is the price gaps between variants, between MT and AT, how much more can the prices be increased, etc. For example, let's say they see a disproportionate majority of buyers going for Z8, they can use this data point to decrease the price gap between Z8 and Z8L to justify the additional features. For example, even in XUV 700, when prices were increased after the first 25,000 bookings, they were increased in the range of 40-50k for all lower variants but only by 10k for the top variants.

As per Veejay Nakra in the Autocar interview, even they are expecting that 70-80% of the sales will be for Z8 and Z8L variants. Prices of those variants is what will largely determine entire Scorpio N's profit numbers.

Last edited by tarunjain : 4th July 2022 at 14:53.
tarunjain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 15:28   #191
BHPian

Finally had a detailed look at Big Daddy and it is indeed the big daddy from looks.

Muscular imposing looks with big tyres and wheel arches. Front is impressive while back invokes no emotion.

Compared both XUV700 and Big Daddy and below are few observations.

- Scorpio look much bigger and badass than XUV.

- Petrol was so silent that I had to ask SA if it was indeed on. Inside vehicle it was silent with nearly no vibration.

- Seats have better cushion and found them to be much more comfortable than XUV. Soft touch points feel premium. 2nd row seats were very comfortable.

- Seats are commanding and you look down on the world below.

- Despite lot of screens, I found interiors of ScorpioN to be much more pleasing and premium.

- Rear AC vents have powerful throw of air and 3rd row will be easily cooled.

- 3rd row is same in both, only fit for children.

- Boot space is same with 3rd row upright.

- With 3rd row folded, Scorpio N may have the worst boot space in any vehicle of this category. Plus floor is uneven. This is the biggest pain point and very diffcult to ignore.

- Rear door pockets have nearly no space on Scorpio N. Keeping 1 litre bottle is not possible. Doors are 1 ft thick, its a wonder why didn't they provide more space.

- Even front door pockets have poor space. My Kushaq has more space in doors than boot of ScorpioN (just kidding).

- Door close softly without making much sound and feels solid.

The displayed vehicle had sunroof malfunctioning and was getting stuck frequently. Showroom was not taking booking and told to do it online.

Overall if VFM is the criteria, Scorpio N is indeed to big daddy of all. D segment dimension and premium quality at atleast Rs 10 lakh less. I don't think it will have any competition for a long time. Expect waiting times in much excess of XUV within few months.

Only if Mahindra could have just sorted out space better, it would have been perfect.

Last edited by varun.petro : 4th July 2022 at 15:35.
varun.petro is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 15:41   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
Just came across this video where Mr Velusamy explains the Scorpio structure and other details with the actual frame, Body in white etc. It is in Tamil. For those who can follow Tamil, this might be informative.
Motor Vikatan too has got some quality time with Mr. Velu as we have seen with Thar & 7OO earlier. There are lots of details in here with regards to the tech specs in the presentation (english), good for those who want to know more.

Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 15:53   #193
BHPian

Just got a call from dealership. While test drives start tomorrow, they don't have automatic with them yet so I guess wait will continue for few more days. Not sure if same is the case with other cities.

Last edited by alokk0912 : 4th July 2022 at 15:57.
Old 4th July 2022, 15:58   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The ScorpioN was provided to every journalist who wanted to drive it back to their destination city. i myself drove back a diesel AT to Mumbai from Pune after the media drive. Driving at speeds of 70 to 90 kph, I managed around 14 kpl. Point to note, I have a very light foot.

Drove it for a couple of days in urban city traffic in Mumbai and I managed between 10 and 11.5 kpl. This included bumper to bumper traffic as well.
Did you get to try Manual variant? with similar pricing as XUV700, mahindra may demand 1.6 lakh premium for automatic. It may be worth saving that much amount from automatic and additionally having better fuel efficiency(?) with MT variant.
Old 4th July 2022, 17:22   #195
BHPian

"Rear AC vents have powerful throw of air and 3rd row will be easily cooled."

The AC vents being at the bottom of the middle row was a problem in XUV 500 and I also experienced the same in XUV700. In XUV, the rear seats had their own vents. But the side passengers of the middle seat often complained that they never felt the cooling/air whereas the one in the middle of the middle seats had frozen knees.

When i saw a similar vent in Scorpio and adding to that, no vents in rear seat, i though that this was a deal breaker in terms of side passengers of middle seat and all the rear seat passengers complaining about a lack of air/cooling.

Is the experience otherwise?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks