Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2022, 17:38   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
Did you get to try Manual variant? with similar pricing as XUV700, mahindra may demand 1.6 lakh premium for automatic. It may be worth saving that much amount from automatic and additionally having better fuel efficiency(?) with MT variant.
Haven't tried the MT yet. Hopefully will get it later this month. Sure manual will be fun with the crazy traffic conditions in Mumbai driving a manual makes no sense at all. Im expecting the AT variant to be 1 lakh more expensive. Add another lakh for 4x4.

That said, the Scorpio N diesel AT 4x4 is what I am seriously considering when the time comes to replace my 2012 Civic AT.
Dippy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 18:16   #197
BHPian

Seeing the much awaited car, I am happily sad.
This is a good VFM for the launch price. Good comfortable driver and co-driver front seat. Good second row seat for three normal size adults - yet to see though how smooth the drive is in real world. Autocar and other reviews talk about that being much better than Scrorpio Classic though. Overall package, at price point makes me happy.

What makes me sad though is obvious cost cutting

1. Wheel / Tire configuration puzzles me - from the brochure, alloys are available only on Z8 in AT trim and Z8L - again 17" for MT and 18" for AT while all other variants get normal wheel with wheel caps. Not even Z8 get alloys?

2. third row seat - they had to somehow make it as three row seating, but didn't want anyone to actually use it. Anyone who is more than four feet tall, cannot practically use it comfortably. There are no AC vents, no obvious creature comforts - charging points, bottle holders etc.

3. third row seat - no 50-50 folding, and they way seat folds is crazy. with only one fold, the height at which it rests, is completely impractical for anyone to keep bags or other luggage without it being thrown on the second row. The way it tumbles forward, liberates more space, but again with uneven floor, impractical to use. Also, it would be interesting to see how it would be managed in real world, for someone with second row folded and third row stops where it stops at tumbled down position. Absolutely pathetic attempt at third row.

4. some of the obvious omissions which everyone has pointed out it seems - (i) auto dimming ORVM (you are asked to shell out 20+ big ones and don't get it when six year old Ciaz has it at less than half the price (ii) wireless charging not available even in Z8 (iii) Power seat not available even in Z8 (iv) there are more, but let me stop

Also, what baffles me is Z6 Diesel not available in 4x4 configuration as per brochure. Why Mahindra, why?

Last edited by Eddy : 4th July 2022 at 18:29. Reason: Spacing for better readability
advaitlele is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 19:45   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Seeing the much awaited car, I am happily sad... Why Mahindra, why?
Because Mahindra wants to sell Scorpio as a 5 door Thar instead of XUV700 alternative/replacement.

Thar is full of obvious misses regarding creature comfort expected out of a 17L Car, so is Scorpio. If you want a proper car with minimal obvious misses, go get XUV700

PS: I am a happy Thar owner. I don't want to mean any offense to anyone.
vellatechie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 19:52   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Because Mahindra wants to sell Scorpio as a 5 door Thar instead of XUV700 alternative/replacement.

Thar is full of obvious misses regarding creature comfort expected out of a 17L Car, so is Scorpio. If you want a proper car with minimal obvious misses, go get XUV700

PS: I am a happy Thar owner. I don't want to mean any offense to anyone.
Slightly off-topic.
I desperately want a 5 door Thar and don't want the new Scorpio-N as a 5 door Thar. Hope Mahindra doesn't skip the actual 5 door Thar.
Scorpio-N is a 5+2 seater with tech features, carpeting and leather. 5 door Thar will score a lot more on the ruggedness front with no floor carpeting, just rubber mats, no leather trims etc.
I would happily upgrade from my 3 door Thar to a 5 door Thar over the Scorpio-N anyday.

Mahindra needs to sort the booking and delivery of their products. 4x4 AT option only available on Z8 and Z8L is a bummer for me as well. Although makes a lot of business sense for Mahindra. Will be interested to see how much 4x4 MT and 4x4 AT actually sells over the regular 4x2 MT and AT.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 4th July 2022 at 19:57.
dr_TJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 20:04   #200
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

A lot of people do think like you do.

The sheer useability and utility of a 5 door Thar will outshine most other wannabe Quasi SUV’s.

Especially in the far away places where the terrain is challenging and the weather is wild.

Take heart. Elsewhere on this very forum it has been reported that the 5 Door Thar field trials have begun.

So it cant be too long before it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I desperately want a 5 door Thar and don't want the new Scorpio-N as a 5 door Thar. Hope Mahindra doesn't skip the actual 5 door Thar.

I would happily upgrade from my 3 door Thar to a 5 door Thar over the Scorpio-N anyday.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 20:38   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Very informative video. Thanks to Velu sir for that simple explanation

There are a lot of discussions about boot space with/without 3rd row folded and features missing and what not. SUVs like these need not be perfect (or no vehicle is perfect for that matter). But, ScorpioN has its fundamentals strong. Its structurally capable and has good dynamics, which is evident with the above explanation. Only a TD is pending from our side to verify

peace
sulliavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 22:38   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motor Vikatan too has got some quality time with Mr. Velu as we have seen with Thar & 7OO earlier. There are lots of details in here with regards to the tech specs in the presentation (english), good for those who want to know more.
There is the first part to this video where Mr. Velu himself drives the Vikatan editor on the high speed track, demonstrates top speed, braking, handling etc

And there were two OOPS moments when you can see workers walking on the test track and later a huge tipper comes face to face with the Scorpio

Watch here

mallumowgli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 00:10   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Screen grabs from this video:
Do notice on the screen presentation curtain airbag covers the 3rd row. But in the very next footage with actual ScorpioN it covers the area till 2nd row only same as shown on the official website.

Curtain airbag covering 3rd row
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpion0002.jpg

Curtain airbag coverage on the actual ScorpioN
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpion0001.jpg
LokiPilaniya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 07:19   #204
BHPian

That's exactly what i was pausing to see. Cheap last minute cost cutting. I really do not understand this mentality. It is usually the children who sit in the third row, why would anyone sacrifice the safety of their children who stand exposed without the curtain airbag coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post
Screen grabs from this video:
Do notice on the screen presentation curtain airbag covers the 3rd row. But in the very next footage with actual ScorpioN it covers the area till 2nd row only same as shown on the official website.

Curtain airbag covering 3rd row
Attachment 2329156

Curtain airbag coverage on the actual ScorpioN
Attachment 2329155
Old 5th July 2022, 07:22   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a good look at it. Some things I observed.

1. There is a boot, it can hold a decent amount of luggage. Boot door is scooped out and is curved.
2. Third row is usable for kids as well as 5'5" adults - three of them. Taller ones can sit for small distances.
3. You can keep some luggage as well as two small humans in the third row as well.
4. It is easy to get into the third row.
5. Old Scorpio especially pre 2014 has the best visibility, followed by Gen3 and then this, because the bonnet height has increased over the years. Scorpio classic would be the best among pretty much all new vehicles.
6. Old scorpio's fixed second row is more accomodating and can fit a fourth person , the new one is spacious for three and I got three of them to sit there, you don't need to be friends.
7. You can stand on the rear bumper, it is steel underneath.
8. First and second row are spacious and seats are perfect.
9. Interiors are very good for the price , nice color scheme, works well for intented utility.
10. You cannot twist the front map lights over to the second row, it gets its own center cabin light.
11. Third row has reading lights like those seen in Duster.
12. Roof rails are thin and flexible in comparison to old one.
13. Footboard is also thin and flexible in comparison to old one, but it is necessary to protect the running board/door.
14. Bonnet is #&@# heavy, we used to sit on the old one's bonnet, this one is even better.
15. You can sit with your arm on the window sill comfortably like in the old Scorpio, so that thick shiny gold chain will be visible
16. Windshield glass felt thick on the knock test, hope it is, tinted glasses all around of course.
17. Felt-like lined wheel well - in a Scorpio.
18. Same sort of lining for engine splash shield underneath.
19. Same sort of cover for all the accessory drive belts.(NVH)
20. I don't remember seeing a viscous clutch fan, so only electric fan.
21. Those thin mechanic boys can stand in the engine compartment , there is plenty of working room.
22. Engine is pushed way back into the firewall.
23. No rain gutter , it has its uses though.
24. Ground clearance is adequate , rear sway bar is tucked in well enough.
25. Aluminium suspension bits - best to keep the tyre+wheel weight as close to OEM as possible.
26. Seating position otherwise is very much like a Scorpio, feels right at home.
27. Air intake is in the grill, behind a splash shield just like the old one.
28. Air filter appears to be a lot bigger.
29. Oil filter looked like a cartridge type as you'd see on MJD engines.
30. Healthy amounts of electric seat adjustment for the driver seat, can accommodate different sized people, it negates any need for steering reach adjustment.

There were about a dozen prospective customers hours after the showroom's official working hours - on a Monday evening. Staff was helpful, requested us not to take pictures. All other vehicles were removed from the showroom floor and one display Scorpio is kept for the crowd to take a look see.

Is it D segment? Who cares. It's a Scorpio for sure.
Kosfactor is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 08:35   #206
BHPian

Have been trying to get feedback for the lower variant diesel engine but no reviews yet. Spoke to the sales guy in Sireesh auto and he said lower spec diesel engine should be available for test drive after 15th . Also he has not been able to confirm if 175 PS diesel engine will come only in AT or in manual also in Z4. Pricing is still a grey area for the other engine and AT. Not planning for Z6 as this would eat up the storage space on top due to sunroof. Had already booked a carens but the build and sturdy nature , along with safety is driving me towards scorpio.if i can put a luggage carrier on top, luggage would be manageable for long drives with 6 occupants.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 09:01   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Also he has not been able to confirm if 175 PS diesel engine will come only in AT or in manual also in Z4. .
As per the details available till now, Z4 would have three diesel variants.
1. 130bhp tune shared with the Z2.
2. 173bhp tune available with Automatic tranny.
3. 173bhp available with manual tranny and 4X4.

So you would have to go for the 4X4 version if you want 173bhp tune with manual in Z4.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 09:44   #208
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Superb, concise and to the point bone-deep observations Sir! Thank you for bringing us back to being plain and simply objective in our perspectives.

Yes indeed there is a great deal positive with this new Scorpio and it is offered at a fine price and we ought to appreciate those positives instead of perpetually viewing and focussing on the shortcomings.

After all, in a world where rattle-trap, tin-can Asian-origin sedans on stilts, with a low safety rating, are masquerading quasi-wannabe SUV’s, can be priced at 18 -20 lacs, then why cant a proper Indian-origin tough, well built, well engineered, go-anywhere SUV be priced like the Scorpio is?

We can sit and nit-pick all we like but ultimately I think this definitely appeal to the far larger and wider majority of consumers and thats what counts in the end.

Let the booking / add to cart/ purchase responses speak!

Quote:
I had a good look at it. Some things I observed.

Is it D segment? Who cares. It's a Scorpio for sure.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th July 2022 at 09:46. Reason: Grammar
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 09:55   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
As per the details available till now, Z4 would have three diesel variants.
1. 130bhp tune shared with the Z2.
2. 173bhp tune available with Automatic tranny.
3. 173bhp available with manual tranny and 4X4.

So you would have to go for the 4X4 version if you want 173bhp tune with manual in Z4.
Thanks ,
Well just for a call from Sireesh Auto that they have petrol availabile for test drive today. As i am interested in Diesel he said to wait for 10 more days. Looks like due to the 173 bhp only being available in Automatic or Manual 4x4 in Z4, it won't fit into my requirement and budget. As i do not have a need for 4x4 or automatic , also prices for both the variants will be high. Waiting for test drive and reviews for the 130 bhp Diesel now which will decide if i will book or not.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 10:10   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Pricing is still a grey area for the other engine and AT. Not planning for Z6 as this would eat up the storage space on top due to sunroof.
Brochure shows roof carrier as official accessory even with sunroof. have a look at it.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-roof-carrier.jpg
rooster.ram is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks