Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 00:47   #751
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

There are a few things that bother me with respect to choosing Z8 MT 4WD over Z4 4WD

1) LED headlamps - with the suspect performance in rain and fog. Halogen anyday for me.
2) I do not want a Sunroof and have something which has a chance of failure during a long ownership.
3) Price difference too.

Besides this, has anyone noticed the wheel well lining material? It is not smooth plastic like in my Duster or Seltos…. it has a felt/suede like surface texture which might retain some residue while hosing it down.

Another query was whether third party MLD (Eaton MLD) could be used on the Z4 4WD

Thanks.
Old 28th July 2022, 01:44   #752
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
A few questions about the base model:
I feel Z2 is missing front grill chrome, and the images I have seen made it look like the big daddy of wagon R. Whereas in XUV700, if you get fog lamps fitted, the front facia is the same as the top model. I never felt anything missing in XUV700MX interiors. The touch screen and MID is actually the same as the one coming in scorpioN.

Last edited by navin : 28th July 2022 at 11:30. Reason: Spelling and Grammar
Gaddibuddy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th July 2022, 09:29   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
If Mahindra reads this message their reaction would be like:
If you check earlier posts, I predicted this delta price for the AT and 4x4 variants in this post dated 16th July:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
I am expecting another 1.5-1.7L additional for AT, and 1.5-2L for addition of 4x4.
Since I am not from Automobile industry, didn't know exactly what are various margins and hedging costs. And if you consider exchange rate fluctuations etc. my price estimation prediction was not bad.

Mahindra shall hire me as an estimation engineer I do this work in a different industry. And the waiting periods are almost in sync considering the lead time semiconductor and electronics components industry are confirming to their customers.

Last edited by RijuC : 28th July 2022 at 09:31.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 10:35   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddarthab View Post
There are a few things that bother me with respect to choosing Z8 MT 4WD over Z4 4WD.
I too am in the situation, struggling to decide between z4 4WD and z8 4WD apart from the cosmetics and non-functional differences, am looking at the TCS which is one of the most important safety feature.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th July 2022 at 18:17. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant portions of posts only.
Old 28th July 2022, 12:37   #755

Quote:
Another query was whether third party MLD (Eaton MLD) could be used on the Z4 4WD.
I have the same question, the Z4 seems the most obvious choice for someone who needs a rugged 4x4. I think we'll have to wait for actual deliveries to start so that a few mod houses can have a gander at the drivetrain components and determine the feasibility of this.

Please do post any updates on this if you are able to find a solution.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th July 2022 at 18:17. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant portions of posts only.
Old 28th July 2022, 14:02   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another query was whether third party MLD (Eaton MLD) could be used on the Z4 4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG03 View Post
I think we'll have to wait for actual deliveries to start so that a few mod houses can have a gander at the drivetrain components and determine the feasibility of this. .
It would be great if M&M can offer the Eaton MLD as an optional fitment for the lower variants of Scorpio-N. They had used it in quite a few TUV300s to mitigate the wheel spin issue (in some cases, under warranty too, IIRC). Due to this, I guess their ASCs would be familiar with the SOP, and not much of extra effort would be needed on any Scorpio-N specific training.

Related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...f-shelf-6.html (Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 28th July 2022 at 14:03.
Old 28th July 2022, 15:00   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Besides this, has anyone noticed the wheel well lining material? It is not smooth plastic like in my Duster or Seltos…. it has a felt/suede like surface texture which might retain some residue while hosing it down.
The material is similar to what's there in my Yeti and (ex) Laura. No issues with washing it over and over again. On the contrary, it helps with cabin insulation to a significant degree.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 15:01   #758
BHPian

Took an extended TD of both Scorpio N and XUV700 petrol ATs. I went during a weekday morning and had both the cars to myself for an hour since there was no other prospective customer.

According to the SA, Mahindra has told dealers that Z8/Z8L and Z4 deliveries will be prioritized. Waiting times will be max for Z6. He claimed all 25k bookings will be delivered before 2023. (all of this is the SA's info, not sure how trustworthy.) The pre-booking interest is overwhelmingly for diesel despite NCR rules.

Coming to the drive, I felt Scorpio was the (slightly) better place to be if you're in the driver's seat. For everything else, XUV700 is better. Because of the dash layout, XUV seemed wider even though it is not. Both are ridiculously easy to drive despite their size. Scorpio turning radius was better than XUVs. Both MIDs showed an average mileage of between 5 and 6.

Last edited by naru80 : 28th July 2022 at 15:06.
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 17:48   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
After the visit, not sure.
Today I got to TD Scorpio N at India Garage, Mysuru. Initially I got a message from the Sales guy that Z4 MT 4WD is available, but when I reached dealership for TD, it was mysteriously absent. When inquired, I was told that the vehicle has gone for service . Anyway, since I wanted to experience how the MT works in Scorpio N, I drove the Z4 Diesel MT version in green color.
Before TD I did a few measurements with a measuring tape;
1. GC at the bottom of the lower arm of the front suspension is exactly 200mm. Hence, GC will be a bit higher for other parts of the body
2. The floor of the vehicle is 2 feet high up from the ground. Hence elderly people and anyone with mobility issue must keep that in mind. Also, during ingress and out in wet or slippery condition, one should be careful not to slip and fall.
3. The driver and passenger seats are 21 inches wide (end to end) and about 16 inches of back support (balance is the side contour). Hence, people with a wider body like me, finds it uncomfortable to seat in these seats for long time as the side contour was pressing against my rib cages. In a long drive situation, it may be a serious problem. I measured the seats of XUV 700 and it has got about an inch or inch and half extra space, which makes the seats more comfortable.
4. The inside width of the car was exactly 5 feet or 1524 mm (door to door) in front and middle rows. In the third rows it was less (about 1300 mm, approximately, as I could not measure from inside)

Now coming to the drive experience,
1. The clutch was reasonably light (compared to my Duster) and the steering was also light. The manual gear shift is also very smooth. Overall, it is not at all straining.
2. There was minimal noise inside cabin. I did switched off the AC and ICE to see cabin noise.
3. Apparently there is no bad or broken road nearby the showroom (as told by the sales person) because of which I could not check the suspension on bad road. But they said, they are going to have a off road track somewhere in Mysuru soon, where all these features could be tested
4. Although on even road, the suspension is smooth, the vehicle shuddered with a thud on a couple of potholes where I could take the vehicle on at about 40km speed. I would say Duster negotiates such potholes a bit more smoothly
5. Also, even with 370 nm of torque, I could not experience the pressed-back-to-seat kind of pulling effect, while speeding up in low gears. It pulls, but rather uneventfully. Here also Duster 110 ps a bit more exhilarating.
6. Taking U Turn was not much of an issue, although I could not test it on a narrow street. However, I could reverse park it at a very narrow and tricky space at the dealership (the sales guy was visibly scared, when I told him I am going to park the vehicle myself at the dealership parking bay). The reverse camera is not great (a bit grainy) and I had to trust on ORVM to park.
7. The guy said diesel would give about 11/12 kmpl and petrol would give 8 or 9 kmpl. Not a very impressive figure for petrol, especially for those thinking of long drives.
8. Apparently, Mysuru dealer has already got 300+ inquiries (add to cart) and about 100 payments. Impressive numbers if he is correct. However, that means, if M&M, goes by their promise of price protection of the first 25K, It is quite a bleak chance to get it.

I have also booked Suzuki GV Alpha Allgrip. I have not seen the car yet, but reading reviews here are some pros and cons (although it may seem insane to compare these two).

Pros (GV AWD over Scorpio N-petrol)
+Better mileage
+ Availability of 4WD/AWD in Petrol (Scorpio N only has 4WD in Diesel)
+ Lesser cost vis-a-vis features (e.g. panoramic sunroof etc.)
+Similar or slightly more GC

Cons
- Street presence (Sleek horse vs Big Bull)
- Build quality, toughness (Scorpio N is a BoF) and possibly bad road ability (although I have not driven GV, but Scorpio's suspension seems tough)
- Under powered engine. Although it promises 100 PS, but nothing compared to Scorpio. Same on torque numbers, although it can only be ascertained after driving.

May be BHPians who have already seen GV can add more insight to this.
-

Last edited by aah78 : 28th July 2022 at 18:18. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant portions of posts only.
Ulysses is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 18:12   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Sorry, didn't understand anything in your post.
Apologies to have confused you.

What does this mean? - Reading your post I understand that you were with your Parents & Sister, hence the perspective of a Wife + Kids was missing - the way I said it was supposed to be on a lighter note, quite possibly confusing & apologies have been asked for.

What does hydraulic steering has to do here and what is AT bottom and what is this ethanol mix? - The Z4 ATs have PA-hydraulic steering's that affect milage, the ethanol blend in petrol that's at 10% today affects petrol vehicles milage as well - the way I said it was, quite possibly confusing & apologies have been asked for.

Did you observe this personally? - Yes the cars are in my family and I drive most regularly.

Why? I cant make it simpler, sorry cant explain this further.

So what? So its time to look beyond Kia's & Hyundai's, Trust Indian manufacturers to deliver similar if not a better product. Give Tata's & M&Ms the same fair unbiased mindshare. e.g. Reliability - everyone wants that and Hyundai & kia deliver it, all I say is, its quite possible that Tata & M&M deliver as well but you don't see it on the streets, see there is the difference in what the car buyer thinks vs what he does. Maybe he likes the Scorpio-N, its in his budget and every other parameter is met, he goes and buys a Kia Carens, because of the confirmation bias. I have seen my friends & family do this so I can vouch. I hope you understand.

is what? and what is in the bracket? - Its what you call 19 - Nineteen & 20 - Twenty in Hindi - Unnis & Bees, Had I not confused you so much, this would have made sense. You may safely ignore this

Last edited by aah78 : 28th July 2022 at 18:19. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant portions of posts only.
Old 28th July 2022, 18:18   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
My friend who has a lumber business was seriously considering the Scorpio-N due to its all-terrain capabilities and ability to move people as well. He is OK with the prices, but would also like to consider other options, just so he can choose an alternative if the need demands it, so if you wouldn't mind could you please tell me what other cars are you considering?
Of course. I am not an off-roader and I was looking at the Scorpio N only for being a huge fan of the old scorpio (despite its shortcomings). But looking at the prices and the value offered as a daily drive, it makes no sense to go with the Scorpio N.

Now I am looking at Alcazar / Safari / Carens or I might wait for the new Hector facelift to make my decision. All these cars I had rejected due to one reason or the other.

Alcazar - Good vehicle although expensive and low FE
Safari - I am looking mainly at Petrol
Carens - Overall the best of the lot as a value proposition except for it's safety rating.
Hector - I had booked one last year but had to cancel due to personal reasons. I might again go with this one if the facelift is good enough.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 19:09   #762
BHPian

Quote:
3. The driver and passenger seats are 21 inches wide (end to end) and about 16 inches of back support (balance is the side contour). Hence, people with a wider body like me, finds it uncomfortable to seat in these seats for long time as the side contour was pressing against my rib cages. In a long drive situation, it may be a serious problem. I measured the seats of XUV 700 and it has got about an inch or inch and half extra space, which makes the seats more comfortable.
I think the seat width and comfort should be a personal point to be checked for the reason that every body frame is different. I would suggest, people taking a TD and writing a review should specifically mention it was comfortable/ not comfortable to them. Otherwise, generally people would think the seats are not comfortable in Scorpio and more in XUV. No offences meant.

Quote:
4. Although on even road, the suspension is smooth, the vehicle shuddered with a thud on a couple of potholes where I could take the vehicle on at about 40km speed. I would say Duster negotiates such potholes a bit more smoothly
The vehicles with all the dealerships are pre-production units. So there could be small niggles in the camera, ICE and other places. Suspension also might have similar niggles which caused the shudder you experienced or may be the weight of the vehicle which is obviously much more than the Duster you own could be a reason.

Quote:
5. Also, even with 370 nm of torque, I could not experience the pressed-back-to-seat kind of pulling effect, while speeding up in low gears. It pulls, but rather uneventfully. Here also Duster 110 ps a bit more exhilarating.
May be the tuning of the engine is such that it won't give that pushed-back-to-seat effect or the torque is linear. or may be it is that way to ensure decent fuel economy in petrol.

Quote:
7. The guy said diesel would give about 11/12 kmpl and petrol would give 8 or 9 kmpl. Not a very impressive figure for petrol, especially for those thinking of long drives.
Petrol engine in Thar is also giving similar figures. One of my friend bought a petrol hard top couple of months back and has similar mileage though being just 150 PS. Being heavier than Thar by a few quints, mileage figures are still decent for a 1900 Kg monster and 203 PS.
It is typically observed in test drive vehicles that mileage figures takes a hit as there are 100's of hands who drive those vehicles and not everyone has a light foot.

Having owned a Xylo for last 9-10 years, I can confidently say Mahindra rules the road for its toughness. Go to hills and most of the time you would come across Scorpios, Xylos, Bolero pickups, and some TATA's too. ScorpioN's bonnet itself is like 22+ kg.
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 19:33   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
May be the tuning of the engine is such that it won't give that pushed-back-to-seat effect or the torque is linear. or may be it is that way to ensure decent fuel economy in petrol.
I did TD of Diesel Manual 2WD, so nothing to do with mileage of petrol. Interestingly the Kg/Nm ratio is same for both (appx. 5 Kg/Nm). Duster max torque is at 2250 rpm, while for Scorpio N, it is between 1500-3000 rpm, so in case of Scorpio N, peak torque should come earlier if not in similar manner. Anyway, automobile engineers may through some more light on this.
Ulysses is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 19:54   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Cons
- Street presence (Sleek horse vs Big Bull)
- Build quality, toughness (Scorpio N is a BoF) and possibly bad road ability (although I have not driven GV, but Scorpio's suspension seems tough)
- Under powered engine. Although it promises 100 PS, but nothing compared to Scorpio. Same on torque numbers, although it can only be ascertained after driving.

May be BHPians who have already seen GV can add more insight to this.
-
Having seen and sat in the GV on display, I can add one more to the Cons - The back seat, when compared to the ScorpioN and the XUV700 is too small - if its a family of four adults (2 upfront and 2 at the rear), then it wont be a problem - but if another adult were to sit in the middle, it will be mighty uncomfortable! The space would ideally be just enough for a 5 year old...the floor based A/C vents make it really inconvenient - and that proved to be the dealbreaker for my family.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th July 2022 at 22:02. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
Old 28th July 2022, 20:22   #765
BHPian

As I already mentioned earlier, I am looking for a 3people + 2 dogs + luggage kind of car. Had added Z8 Diesel auto in my cart as well. I have booked the Carens in May. After looking at the car in flesh, i must say that I am dissapointed. It will not carry people+luggage that I need. Big on the exterior but small on the inside.
That way, Carens is a lot better designed and has better features like USB charging ports etc. Considering the crash rating for Carens, I am thinking of cancelling the booking for Carens as well!! None of them will be an upgrade from my Duster AWD.
Cars that I TDed so far:
1. XUV 7OO: liked it, but Mahindra won't give it to me anytime soon.
2. Safari: Liked the drive, but steering was similar to duster , on the heavier side. Interiors feel pale compared to XUV. No 6 seater automatic, apart from the top model.
3. Carens : Absolutely loved the car!! Both the diesel as well as 1.4 Turbo petrol. Lots of features, sufficient power. Bad crash ratings
4. Scorpio N: Huge from outside and powerful , Lovely steering ,but lot of shortcomings. The space inside does not match the exterior at all. I wonder what they have filled the empty space with . Cannot match my requirements. Had high hope on this one. Terribly dissapointed.
Wont go for Innova for the taxi image and the inflated prices.
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks