Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2022, 20:22   #916
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

What are the chances that Mahindra will not follow the same process of reallocation (for cancelled bookings) as they claim to be using for XUV7OO - basically dealer has limited play? I am also hoping that the window of next 2weeks will help in cleaning up of shadow bookings.

If none of the above happen and dealer network continues to call the shots, then everyone is up for a ride.

But is rural demand (specific to Scorpio N vs XUV7OO) the reason, Mahindra allowed offline bookings? There has to be some reason for the change in strategy. I am hoping that it’s not due to dealer network expressing displeasure at not being involved during XUV7OO bookings. If it’s the latter, then it’s really a knee jerk reaction by Mahindra’s leadership.

Last edited by atluri_rkc : 30th July 2022 at 20:27.
Old 30th July 2022, 22:21   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Side facing rear seats cannot happen, as they are not compatible with the GNCAP crash test protocol. Even with the Thar, Mahindra had discontinued the model with the side facing seats right before the 4 star rating was publicly announced.
You are absolutely on point, based on last couple of years, most people seems to have take GNCAP ratings very seriously when purchasing cars and once Mahindra understood this, they seem to have dropped side facing seats completely as we saw few earlier spyshots. And considering the sales booking they saw for XUV 700, it might also have been a factor to drop side facing seats, as people might not perceive the premium product placement, considering older Scorpio will exist simultaneously.

But my point still persists on 3rd row miss of curtain airbag, this could have happened because of late changes to vehicle development program. After having worked in homologation for few years I can say one thing for sure, the development timeliness for a new platform build is essential long and automakers might not want to crash and fail even though CAE analysis can provide decent info.
Old 31st July 2022, 02:21   #918
BHPian

I went to the local Mahindra dealership to check out the new Scorpio N. I have to say it was a little bit of a let down. I am 6'3" and I felt that the driver's seat doesn't move far enough back for my liking. If the driver's seat is at its farthest setting, then a tall person will find it really uncomfortable in the second row behind the driver. The boot and the third row are just plain bad. I wish they had given the option of removable seats.

I didn't find the car imposing in person. In person, it actually looked smaller than I expected.
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 07:03   #919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Following are my primary thought process and perspective for zeroing on ScorpioN among 3 target SUVs, viz. Safari, XUV700 & ScorpioN.

If you are sure you would be going for off-roading then the Scorpio is the better of the three. Adding to 4x4 there's the locking differentials which will for sure add to the off roading capabilities. And more over the dampening on the Scorpio will for sure be better when you go over Ladakh's stony and watery off-roads.

But the question again comes down to how sure are you that you will be doing these. If it's a maybe, then I suppose you'd be better served with the XUV.

Last edited by ampere : 31st July 2022 at 08:05.
Lightning66 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 20:35   #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster.ram View Post
So many confessions only on this forum abt duplicate bookings and false bookings leaves the genuine buyers number skewed and nobody but mahindra can sanitize the booking process now. Otherwise we all are left at dealers mercy.

A tatkal reservation/ wait list kind if transparent system was required, but mahindra despite being a tech giant themselves, chose to deliver a rather bad effort.

But adding to your point, one can plan doing off road only if they have such a vehicle. So, one does not plan to go off road (in absence of 4x4 capabilities) and that itch to go off road remains an itch only. I managed to drive duster for 8 years and done himachal too, but off beaten tracks were avoided, season was chosen as per what vehicle we have.

Yes you are right in that matter. It's just that some just don't drive off-road, even with the desire to. So, Scorpio is your choice. But will your family be happy with this. Creature comforts are notoriously mediocre in this car(from what I've heard). So, maybe having a family car and then a Scorpio might be the way to go. Do you plan on selling the Duster?
Anyways, to each their own. Have fun off-roading. But do keep us posted about the car.
Lightning66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 22:57   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
After adding in cart and taking TD, I finally decided not to go for Scorpio N: it did not make sense for me. Reason being 1) I wanted to have an able off-roader so 4WD was my option. 2) The 4WD offered in Z4 version is of minimal use as per my understanding. Without any MLD/BLD, it is the simple Bolero Camper type 4WD system. 2 million+ price for this is insane for me. 3) The real effective 4WD system is offered only in top end versions. But if I am ready to pay that kind of price then there are other more matured vehicle options to choose from.
Brother, please share details of vehicles with 4WD capabilities available in the market today in this price bracket. Most of us would want to try them for sure. I just hope you are not comparing the Thar and Gurkha which may not be suitable as family car though it has awesome 4WD capabilities. D-Max is there but i guess that's a very different category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_goel View Post
But, as usual, the execution leaves huge gaps. Nonresponsive payment page, no information on the delivery timeline even after paying.... it's becoming too long a tooth, not to be painful.
I think delivery timelines will be out by end of August 2022 and post the closure of booking editing window, Mahindra might declare the cleaned up list along with the delivery timelines.
rahulya007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 23:42   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Brother, please share details of vehicles with 4WD capabilities available in the market today in this price bracket. Most of us would want to try them for sure. I just hope you are not comparing the Thar and Gurkha which may not be suitable as family car though it has awesome 4WD capabilities. D-Max is there but i guess that's a very different category.

I think delivery timelines will be out by end of August 2022 and post the closure of booking editing window, Mahindra might declare the cleaned up list along with the delivery timelines.
For all those 4WD enthusiasts, who need only 5 seaters; Toyota Hyryder and Suzuki Grand Vitara are both offering AWD in their Mild Hybrid MT Top Model.
Suzuki's ALLGRIP on both the above vehicles, is a Globally proven AWD technology; when compared to Mahindra's 4EXPLOR.
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 10:42   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN_VAGABOND View Post
For all those 4WD enthusiasts, who need only 5 seaters; Toyota Hyryder and Suzuki Grand Vitara are both offering AWD in their Mild Hybrid MT Top Model.
Suzuki's ALLGRIP on both the above vehicles, is a Globally proven AWD technology; when compared to Mahindra's 4EXPLOR.
Absolutely not. AWD without mechanically locking differentials is not at all comparable for serious offroading, no matter how good the traction control system is. Sure, the computer can intervene and try to brake the wheel that is slipping but these systems only interfere AFTER the wheel has been slipping while locked differentials force the wheels to spin at the same speed mechanically. Its a huge advantage and allows you to keep moving even when 2 wheels on opposite sides and axles lose traction/or are held up in the air.

Here is a video that goes more into the technical aspects.

Also including another video that shows practical comparisons. Note that all these cars are multiple segments above and 2-3x the price of the cars that we are discussing here with top of the line AWD and traction control systems but still many of them fail compared to the simple mechanical solution.

Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 10:57   #924
BHPian

AWD vs 4L/4H type of 4x4s - Yes, there are big differences

but, a big % of people looking for this - "I would like to own a 4 Wheel Drive" vehicle, would just want a vehicle, where the power goes to all 4 wheels, either full time or during a demanding situation, I mean, a simple slush, wet & slippery tarmac, bad roads etc., The group who really wants to use the 4L kind of transfer case vehicles shall be termed as off-roading enthusiasts who really want to take the vehicle on a trail specific for off-roading.

Here again, I simply can't believe, a major portion of people talking about 4WD are really going to bash up the 25L car in serious off-roading !, that too, when this is your primary car.

Friends, whoever who is looking for this, think about your needs and decide on what you want. If only Z8/L gives you the "real" 4 Wheel Drive, make multiple times sure, that you would take this for that type of off-roading. If you are the type as per "para 1", then you might have other options in the market which you can explore.

I have a "real" off-roader in the form of Gen 1 Thar CRde, even then, I really do not do off-roading as I would like to. But, I can revert to serious off-roading with that car as it is bare bones, low maintenance stuff, but could never think of doing that on a ScorpioN Z8L @ 25-30L Just wanted to put in my thoughts

Swami
swami69 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 11:11   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Absolutely not. AWD without mechanically locking differentials is not at all comparable for serious offroading, no matter how good the traction control system is. Sure, the computer can intervene and try to brake the wheel that is slipping but these systems only interfere AFTER the wheel has been slipping while locked differentials force the wheels to spin at the same speed mechanically. Its a huge advantage and allows you to keep moving even when 2 wheels on opposite sides and axles lose traction/or are held up in the air.

https://Youtu.be/0H_UxhRXgec
If we go by specs, ALLGRIP in AWD of Hyryder and Vitara comes with MLD & BLD, whereas Z4 MT 4WD of Scorpio N does not have MLD & BLD.
Old 1st August 2022, 11:25   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
AWD vs 4L/4H type of 4x4s - Yes, there are big differences

but, a big % of people looking for this - "I would like to own a 4 Wheel Drive" vehicle, would just want a vehicle, where the power goes to all 4 wheels, either full time or during a demanding situation, I mean, a simple slush, wet & slippery tarmac, bad roads etc., The group who really wants to use the 4L kind of transfer case vehicles shall be termed as off-roading enthusiasts who really want to take the vehicle on a trail specific for off-roading.

Here again, I simply can't believe, a major portion of people talking about 4WD are really going to bash up the 25L car in serious off-roading !, that too, when this is your primary car.

Friends, whoever who is looking for this, think about your needs and decide on what you want. If only Z8/L gives you the "real" 4 Wheel Drive, make multiple times sure, that you would take this for that type of off-roading. If you are the type as per "para 1", then you might have other options in the market which you can explore.

I have a "real" off-roader in the form of Gen 1 Thar CRde, even then, I really do not do off-roading as I would like to. But, I can revert to serious off-roading with that car as it is bare bones, low maintenance stuff, but could never think of doing that on a ScorpioN Z8L @ 25-30L Just wanted to put in my thoughts

Swami
Well articulated.
It actually narrows down to a basic query.

Which one is a better option in a 20 Lakh Budget ?

(a) AWD with MLD & BLD ( Hyryder/ Vitara MildHybrid MT)
or
(b) 4WD without MLD & BLD (Scorpio Diesel Z4 MT)
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 11:50   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Well articulated.

or
now, it is filtered down to specific & realistic -

If it is a single car, small family, an assurance of AWD for those once in a while situations, reliability, ASS, more importantly FE, then (a) without any doubt

If it is a single/multi car, 5+ family, little bit of serious off-roading, big car feel (at least from outside), "towering over others" kind of stuff, descent ASS, then (b) would be the car - If we are willing to put this Z4 through some "a day of adventure" kind of groups, it would still do well even without a MLD & BLD as is the case with the pre-2015 facelift gen 1 Thar, which also did not have any of these (MLD,BLD etc.,) but a 4L/4H transfer case and I am sure it did great in those mid-level off road weekend trips for many (including me as I originally owned a 2014 Thar)

With so many pages in this thread and I did not go through each of those spec sheets, I hope Z4 MT has a transfer case to cater to 4L/4H ! and hence I made my point as above.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 12:05   #928
BHPian

Yesterday I visited a NEXA showroom to see the MS GV physically. While coming out (after a disappointing first meeting with GV), we met our SA of next door Mahindra dealership. The SA requested for a TD and we agreed.

Regarding booking process: I came to know that the dealership staffs had to arrive at showroom by 7:30-8 AM on 30th July. Some customers were already waiting for them. Those were close to the dealership owners or some heavyweight reference who wanted to avail that price protection scheme for the toy-machines required by their "Balak" (boy/ kid; for those unaware of this term, watch "Aarya" series or "Love Hostel" film. You will understand the context properly.). Those few bookings got price protection within 25k bookings.

Repeat TD and some experiences: This time we had 6 people on board. There was another customer group. First I drove the car, a little more aggressively than earlier TD. Also, I went off the road and through some broken patches and construction debris this time. Me and wife (co-passenger) felt no problem. 2nd and 3rd row occupants were happy about the suspension. By the way, later I found the other customer group members were all "heavy drivers" in YouTube influencers' term. The Scorpio N was almost gliding through. I strongly believe the double wishbones and Watts linkage are not just few technical terms. They really work well. Though I am not from Automobile background, from my physics and engineering academic understanding I have full confidence on this suspension set-up.

The gear changes were very smooth. Other customer group also agreed to this point.

After 5 kms TD, I switched over to 2nd row. And now I understood why 2nd row felt so cramped. The seat contour is the culprit. My left thigh was on the left side contour edge and it doesn't allow me to seat properly. Also, leg support was poor. But there was a big gap between the seat edge and door panel. Providing marked images downloaded from internet.

Backrest contour was also causing discomfort.

Other customer group drove the car in very aggressive manner. Speeding up to 100-120 kmph and then braking suddenly, taking sharp turns in the winding pahari road of Gurgaon. Perhaps due to the sudden accelerations the engine was shouting a lot (it remained really silent when I was doing the TD). Also, there were lots of tyre and wind noise felt inside the cabin when it was running at above 100 kmph. We felt considerable body roll compared to sedans or good hatchbacks. However, if I compare to Bolero or earlier Scorpio it was much better.

Rear view is obstructed by 3rd row occupants head. I didn't have 3rd row occupants in earlier TDs.

As I said earlier also, I could observe some flex of sheet metal edges under the bonnet. I have uploaded the video clip on YouTube and sharing the link here (couldn't directly upload the video clip here).

Attached Images

Last edited by RijuC : 1st August 2022 at 12:20.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 12:07   #929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well articulated.

or
Perhaps you are heading into the wrong direction with your car purchase.

Please think through your needs, use cases before going squarely based on an argument here, it may not go well in the long run. There are not comparable vehicles, A BOF off road wagon will do more things in 2WD open differential than crossovers. They are built differently.

Creta \ Seltos has set the tone for compact crossover segment, MS needs something to break into their monopoly - Enter - All Grip! Do you need it? Well that is for you to decide, chances are if you have to ask - You don't.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 15:26   #930
RGK
Senior - BHPian

It is obvious that M&M has accomplished a hattrick from Thar to Scorpio. M&M carved out some really excellent product team management.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks