Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 14:37   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Quick headsup - Just to avoid surprises and ignore if you are already aware.

Even though price-protection is offered, its only on the ex-showroom pricing and all the other taxes should be paid on the prevailing ex-showroom prices at the time of delivery. This is small hiccup if the deliveries are extended into 2023

The 6.99% ROI from Mahindra Finance is available for deliveries till 31st Dec. Please reconfirm this.
I was not aware, thanks for the heads-up! I'm thinking of BH series registration, will be interesting to know how it works first-hand and it should bring down the on-road price considerably. I'm thinking 14L or lower for the Z2 diesel MT. Plus, the greater the delay the better for me, will be able to build on my downpayment by setting aside an amount regularly.

The loan information is sad news. The lower variants would not qualify for sure
Old 4th August 2022, 14:48   #992
BHPian

How will the BH lower the on-road price ? I heard for BH number, you need to establish that you need to frequently travel for business or office needs and that you have presence in multiple states. Also, the registration charges for BH number are high i guess.
Old 4th August 2022, 14:52   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemon View Post
I am thinking of going for Z2 variant in petrol or am i missing something here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
There is nothing major that Z2 misses.
Please do not choose Z2 by looking at Z8L images. Z2 looks quite basic with no wheel covers, no sidestep, no ski rack, no rear wiper, etc. Lower trims will need at least a lakh worth of mods (just the alloys will cost ~70k) to make it look good.

Then there is no clarity on what all's missing inside. I also considered Z2 briefly, but dropped the idea. Don't want a utilitarian feeling after spending 14 lakh+

If considering petrol, be aware that the mileage is atrocious. I spent an hour driving the Scorpio N petrol manual in south delhi. Even with a feather light foot, and light traffic, it delivered just 7.1 kmph. It will struggle to reach double digits even on highways.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220804-1.png  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220804.png  

Last edited by naru80 : 4th August 2022 at 15:00.
naru80 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 15:02   #994
BHPian

For the last few days, I am keenly watching all the reviews of Big Daddy on Youtube. Almost all the media drives are sponsored by M&M, and I feel that most of the reviewers are carefully skipping the major cons. Here is a review from Mahinda Monastry Escape drive.

The reviewer talks about the shortcomings of the 4WD. Summarising them here :

1. According to the reviewer, Z8 4WD AT version suffers from considerable turbo-lag while climbing uphill.
2. The suspension, specifically the 4WD, is stiff.
3. There is a bounciness with the ride.
4. Lots of body roll.
5. Very serious issue: Brake fade. The vehicle was inspected at M&M Service Center at Leh. It was found that the issue was vacuum pressure.
6. The OEM HU malfunctioned.
7. One of the cars of the media drive has an issue with 'DEF'.
8. Most of the horns stopped working after a few water crossings.

I have booked Z8 D MT 4WD. This video broke my heart. Now I'm concerned about whether I should go for it or cancel.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 4th August 2022 at 15:17.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 15:16   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
For the last few days, I am keenly watching all the reviews of Big Daddy on Youtube. Almost all the media drives are sponsored by M&M, and I feel that most of the reviewers are carefully skipping the major cons. Here is a review from Mahinda Monastry Escape drive.

The reviewer talks about the shortcomings of the 4WD. Summarising them here :

1. According to the reviewer, Z8 4WD AT version suffers from considerable turbo-lag while climbing uphill.
2. The suspension, specifically the 4WD, is stiff.
3. There is a bounciness with the ride.
4. Lots of body roll.
5. Very serious issue: Brake fade. The vehicle was inspected at M&M Service Center at Leh. It was found that the issue was vacuum pressure.
6. The OEM HU malfunctioned.
7. One of the cars of the media drive has an issue with 'Urea' (not sure what it is).

I have booked Z8 D MT 4WD. This video broke my heart. Now I'm concerned about whether I should go for it or cancel.
You missed listening to one point here... All these vehicles are pre-production units and Mahindra themselves have mentioned there could be niggles.

The urea point is about the DEF which is sprayed in the exhaust to lower emissions in BS6 vehicles. DEF is nothing but a mixture of 70% water and urea. In the cold & dry climate of Leh, the nozzle spraying DEF was clogged because of urea and not just Scorpio but almost all vehicles with DEF will have some or the other issue with DEF in Leh temperatures.

Do not completely go by what these reviewers say, they drive as per their will at times ruthlessly and then talk about body roll or lower FE. But this Scorpio does not have body roll as the older version. Even Fortuner has body roll, every BOF will have it to some extent but road manners have improved in the N a lot as compared to the now rebadged Classic. 4WD suspension is stiffer than 2WD to accommodate the punishment it will go through while off-roading. ICE is also in beta versions and will get an update in the production cars, same goes for the laggy camera. AT versions were felt having lower initial grunt in the thin air of that climate as with MT you can accelerate as per your wish.
rahulya007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 15:24   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
If considering petrol, be aware that the mileage is atrocious. I spent an hour driving the Scorpio N petrol manual in south delhi. Even with a feather light foot, and light traffic, it delivered just 7.1 kmph. It will struggle to reach double digits even on highways.
Except for ESC and rear wiper, everything can be added. It will be utilitarian in stock form but then anything can be customised in Mahindra. Premium of 1.5 lakhs is not justified for Z4 as it is the same engine of Z2, except for auto and 4WD.
Old 4th August 2022, 15:52   #997
BHPian

Dear Fellow BHPians,
Happy to share that i have secured a Scorpio N (Z8 Diesel AT 4x4, Napoli Black) at Introductory Price on 02 Aug 2022. Though from the slightly different wording of the confirmatory email received from Mahindra, i don't think it is part of the first 25000 batch.
This price has been offered on the basis of my several unsucessful attempts to book the Vehicle within the first minute after 11.00 AM on 30 July 2022.

Incidentally at the time of making the payment on 02 Aug, again due to some glitch my first transaction showed as failed though i got a confirmation from my Bank of the amount being debited! Thereafter the payment went through in second attempt.

However, this glitch had an unexpectedly interesting fallout on the next morning i e 03 Aug 22!! I received a second email from Mahindra informing me that asecond Vehicle with identical configuration stood booked for me albeit at 'Prices that will be prevailing at the time of delivery'!

After giving this a little bit of thought i have decided to keep both Booking alive since this gives me more flexibility to decide whether i want to go in for an early delivery or wait a bit longer especially since currently i drive a Tata Hexa XTA and am just not ready to part ways with it. So i am trying to work out my finances in a manner that i can continue to retain it even as i get home a New Scorpio N!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20220804153321_chrome.jpg  

theZULU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 15:58   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSriram View Post
Except for ESC and rear wiper, everything can be added. It will be utilitarian in stock form but then anything can be customised in Mahindra. Premium of 1.5 lakhs is not justified for Z4 as it is the same engine of Z2, except for auto and 4WD.
The Z2 also misses out on driver seat height adjust, lumbar support and grab handles.

IMHO Z4 petrol auto/z6 diesel manual should be considered as the base models for individual use.
Old 4th August 2022, 16:04   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Come on man, don't lose heart just yet! You can easily change the vehicle variant and configuration before Aug 15th!!
My suggestion is to do a really deep dive into the technical issues that are worrying you and then finalise your choice by 14 Aug 2022!

And in case, if after this you are not fully convinced that you are not comfortable with the vehicle, you retain the option to cancel your booking and get a 100% refund if you cancel on or before 31 Oct 2022.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2022 at 16:49. Reason: Quote tag fixed
theZULU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 16:18   #1000

I am told by multiple dealers that it is not technically possible to add a front camera on the z8. Further that any front camera even if added with a separate screen will void the 1 year wiring warranty. This was apparently the case on xuv7oo as well, they said.

Could folks here confirm if it would be possible to add a front camera without voiding any warranty? Has anyone done this on their xuv7oo? Would it be able to integrate with the existing screen?
Old 4th August 2022, 16:22   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
You have selected one of the best possible variant, if you are looking for "few" adventurous trips and negotiating bad or broken boars on everyday basis, with acceptable level of comfort.

While selection of this type of SUV, we need to understand our requirements, primary usage etc.

This Scorpio N is not that great if we compare it to the present iteration of Force Gurkha (3 door, 4 passenger configuration) for the off-roading capabilities. Approach angle, departure angle and breakover angles along with long wheelbase of 2750 mm (vs 2400 mm of Gurkha) are not that good for off-roading purpose. Hence as a pure off-roader SUV the Scorpio N may not be better than Gurkha, and the new Thar.

Also, to perform as an off-roader SUV, we need to use a properly rated/ type of Tyre set. The stock tyre of Scorpio N will hardly be of any help if someone tries off-roading and then comment, no it's not capable or has lots of issues!

However, what we get in Scorpio N are butch look, live life king size (in a low budget) kind of feeling, apparently spacious cabin with good AC, adrenox based system (considering Z8 MT 4x4), 3 passengers in 2nd row, good luggage space (with 3rd row up) and capable 4x4 hardware which suffice not so frequent and not so extreme adventures. It is not Thar, Gurkha, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Fortuner and other serious off-roaders. There are many more factors beyond the specification sheets and on paper capabilities; and we can only understand while doing such extreme actions in extreme terrains. Can't judge capabilities of SUVs while doing short test drives within the city boundaries or so called mild off-roading which most of the YouTube automotive experts demonstrate nowadays (laughable stuff there, even my Swift does it everyday).

Summary is: Scorpio N Z8 D 4x4 MT will be good for mild to moderate off-roading actions, do not expect extreme performance unless the user knows the tricks, in my opinion.

There is something called break-in period. These youtubers are taking the new SUVs to extreme terrains without preparing the brakes, the new tyres, no servicing done and expecting to do wonders in extreme ambient conditions and terrains, that too with pre-production units.

I believe off-roading is a separate branch of adventure sports. And we are mixing it up with our dream trips to Ladakh, Spiti, crossing Saach pass, Sela pass, Zanskar, Winter Spiti etc. There is an overlap between these two, and hence we need to carefully choose the SUV which serves our purpose. Zanskar and Winter Spiti are purely off-roading. Rest of them can be done carefully in any car.

Except the Gurkha (heating arrangement for the fuel and no fluid addition) all other BS6 Diesel cars/ SUVs struggle in extreme cold and dry conditions, sub-zero temperature. Choose the travel season and weathers properly, there won't be any trouble in those terrains.

I understand that Off-roaders are supposed to have a little stiffer suspension, and steel rims are better than Alloys for off-roading purposes.

Analyse the functions of 4x4 hardware, use of 4H and 4L modes etc. Then you can understand the entire scenario. YouTube reviews won't help. Check the adventure and recovery videos. Also, I would suggest to go through the Force Gurkha and other off-roading related threads in Team-BHP.

Last edited by RijuC : 4th August 2022 at 16:44.
RijuC is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 16:54   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
You have selected one of the best possible variant, if you are looking for "few" adventurous trips and negotiating bad or broken boars on everyday basis, with acceptable level of comfort.
Thank you for the detailed analysis.
My current drive is a Scross (1.3 MJD), 5 years and 80K+ KM old. It is a fantastic car for my daily use and highway runs. We go on road trips frequently with family and friends. Sometimes, we go on camping trips too. Why am I planning an upgrade? The thing is, whenever I plan for a destination, I need to be very careful about the road conditions. In the last couple of years, I have ruled out some beautiful coffee plantations and tea bungalows because either the road was steep or broken or slushy or gravely. I am not into serious off-roading, I just don't want to be worried about whether my car will be able to cross that muddy village road or untarred tea-garden path or slushy meadow carrying my family & friends safely to the destination. Also, the car should have good highway manners too since all these destinations come after running on a few hundreds of highway miles. Is it too much to ask from a single car? And what are the contenders within a max budget of 25L on-road?

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 4th August 2022 at 17:24.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 17:29   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somas View Post
Could folks here confirm if it would be possible to add a front camera without voiding any warranty?
Any unofficial 3rd party accessory that uses hard wiring could technically void warranty. But most manufacturers ignore it, it’s at their discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somas View Post
Has anyone done this on their xuv7oo? Would it be able to integrate with the existing screen?
The XUV700 uses a far more advanced system and has a dedicated ECU for the 360 camera. So far not a single person has done it, partly due to costs involved and partly because it will involve sourcing multiple parts such as cameras, bodykit, wiring harness, ECU, etc and Mahindra is already facing component shortage so it’s unlikely they will supply those parts on order.

Scorpio-N likely won’t have any separate camera ECU since it does not have to perform any image stitching. I suspect one could be able to source the parts (assuming they’re limited to just camera module and harness) for the luxury variant and install/activate on lower trims. This is just speculation and it might indeed not be feasible as the dealers say.

Last edited by Tanmay007 : 4th August 2022 at 17:31.
Tanmay007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 19:25   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
How will the BH lower the on-road price ? I heard for BH number, you need to establish that you need to frequently travel for business or office needs and that you have presence in multiple states. Also, the registration charges for BH number are high i guess.
If you are employed with a Company that has offices in more than 3-4 cities, then you are eligible for BH registration. Most of us multinational folks are. In BH you do not pay 15 years worth road tax. It's 2 years at a time, the 15 is divided by 1 and multiplied by 2. This gets the OnRoad price down.

The greatest advantage is that the Cops won't stop you in any State, its like a National Permit and then tax can be paid in so called instalments instead of paying it for 15 years at the start, thus reducing acquisition cost
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 21:33   #1005
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If you are employed with a Company that has offices in more than 3-4 cities, then you are eligible for BH registration. Most of us multinational folks are.
When I had checked last time with a Toyota dealer about BH registration, they told me its for Govt. official only. Has any Aam Junta been able to get a car registered with BH number plate? I am yet to see one or hear about someone who has done it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks