Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 21:35   #1006
BANNED

Re: What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?

A question about the 4x4 AT Diesel Scorpio N : Is the 4x4 4XPLORE model always in 4x4 mode? or is there a way to run it in 4x2 and switch to 4x4 only when needed?

I have seen the rotary knob and the two switches adjacent to it (High 4 and Low 4). I am unable to make out if one of the options on the rotary knob is always selected at all times (which means its always is "some" 4x4 mode at all times)
Old 4th August 2022, 21:52   #1007
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
When I had checked last time with a Toyota dealer about BH registration, they told me its for Govt. official only.
It is not for Govt only, but your employer has to have office at 4 different states or union territories and company admin/HR has to certify that. For central govt or central PSU employees, this declaration is not required.

Last edited by Arinmech : 4th August 2022 at 21:53.
Old 4th August 2022, 22:24   #1008
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_2022080422413194_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I was not aware, thanks for the heads-up! I'm thinking of BH series registration, will be interesting to know how it works first-hand and it should bring down the on-road price considerably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
How will the BH lower the on-road price ?
Quote:
In BH you do not pay 15 years worth road tax. It's 2 years at a time, the 15 is divided by 1 and multiplied by 2. This gets the On Road price down.

and then tax can be paid in so called instalments instead of paying it for 15 years at the start, thus reducing acquisition cost
Taxes on BH series are calculated at 25% higher rate. Also the rate of tax is 2% additional for diesel vehicle, however taxes are calculated on basic price exclusive of GST. In states with less road tax on cars, taking BH registration is not cost effective. In states like Maharashtra where road tax is already as high as 15% on diesel cars, it can be useful. Sharing a link for the same.
https://www.v3cars.com/news/bh-serie...erits-demerits

Just sharing a video of 4x4 mileage test done by youtube channel. The test done is for a small drive of 100 km, but still it is indicative.

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th August 2022 at 02:54. Reason: Fixing quote tag
rooster.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 00:08   #1009
BHPian

I just did a calculation of tax and it indeed comes out to be cheaper upfront and very marginally expensive than paying the tax upfront for 15 years when most of us sell the car in 5-10 years time. See the calculation for yourselves. Almost 3.10 Lacs cheaper to own upfront. Rs. 48995/- is the amount you'll pay every 2 years as tax until you own the vehicle. Also registration charges for BH number plate is free as far as i read on the portal. I have still considered 2000 for hypothecation etc. if one buys the vehicle on loan as if these charges also apply or not is something i am not aware. Only flip side is you'll not get a choice number.

BH registration tax is calculated on the invoice price before GST so the calculation is done basis that. Also, the tax is calculated at 14% (2% additional for Diesel) of Invoice value and then multiplied by 1.25 x 2 / 15 to arrive at the figure of 48995/-
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20220804-11.59.33-pm.png  

Last edited by rahulya007 : 5th August 2022 at 00:11. Reason: added text
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 09:09   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I had checked last time with a Toyota dealer about BH registration, they told me its for Govt. official only. Has any Aam Junta been able to get a car registered with BH number plate? I am yet to see one or hear about someone who has done it.
There are many members on our forum who have a BH registered vehicle, there are a few threads too dedicated to this. Let me see if I can link it here

I've begun seeing BH registered private vehicles in Bangalore
Old 5th August 2022, 09:15   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are many members on our forum who have a BH registered vehicle, there are a few threads too dedicated to this. Let me see if I can link it here
Here you go: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nother-48.html (New "BH" series registration | For cars getting transferred from one state to another)
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 10:07   #1012
BHPian

Re: What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?

Quote:
A question about the 4x4 AT Diesel Scorpio N : Is the 4x4 4XPLORE model always in 4x4 mode? or is there a way to run it in 4x2 and switch to 4x4 only when needed?

I have seen the rotary knob and the two switches adjacent to it (High 4 and Low 4). I am unable to make out if one of the options on the rotary knob is always selected at all times (which means its always is "some" 4x4 mode at all times)
There are 4 modes on the 4XPLOR variant. First is Normal, then Mud/Rut mode, Snow and Sand. By default the vehicle is in normal mode where both 4H and 4L are off. While running if you turn the dial to any of these modes, the respective modes turn ON on-the-fly and 4H is engaged. If you have to engage 4L, you need to stop the vehicle, slot it in N and then engage the 4L. By default, the vehicle is in 2WD mode only. This is Shift on-the-fly technology.
rahulya007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 10:32   #1013
BHPian

The Scorpio N Conundrums -
Deciding on variant/drivetrain is becoming a bit of a shot in the dark with the dealers still insisting on limited test drives and absolutely no real world information available about anything below the Z8 L trim levels.

Looking for feedback on a few points of doubt -

1. Any real/actual differences in ride/handling between the 4x4 variant and RWD variants. I have read some opinions suggesting it's a stiffer setup, but does that translate to a tighter more composed handler or does it imply a more jittery ride for the 4XPLOR variants. What about the steering setup on 4x4 with it lacking the Drive modes?

2. Similarly, are there any real world observations on the difference in ride between the cars riding on 17" wheels vs the 18" setup?

3. Staying on the wheel wagon. The 255/60 R18 tire size translates to a 30" tire size, which seems to have very limited options in India. Also the 245/65 R17 spec has smaller 13 mm smaller wheels which should mean 13mm less ground clearance. Should we expect a difference in ride height to affect the handling? Considering that every Scorpio N bar the AT in Z8 and Z8 L trims will come with the 17" setup, what size should one consider as the true spec with reference to speedo calibration, ESC etc when considering a tire swap? (i.e. Which size would you calculate your 3% suggested max variance with?)

4. The Diesel/DEF dilemma. With 4x4 being what seems to be the trump card for a Scorpio N vs the much better daily driving characteristics of the XUV700, and with it only being available in Diesel, it seems to be more of a case of hope vs expectation of a trouble free ownership period. Add to it the fact that DEF freezes ata higher temperature than Diesel and thoughts of heavy winter overlanding become quite worrying.

5. With the Scorpio N having a similar platform to the Thar, there will be similar worries about protecting the radiator during off road adventures. I expect with the current Off-road/Adventure travel scene picking up, we should hopefully see a good amount of after-market options become available for the Scorpio N. Thoughts?

6. The compromises to interior storage spaces and usability is evident when comparing with my XUV500. What are some neat ideas to overcome what is a complete lack (smallish glove box and basically a shallow tray in the armrest) of usable storage spaces in the cabin.

As the above list makes evident, I could make peace with a few quality of life surprises/limitations cropping up, but want to be very clear on all details related to mechanical/drivetrain capabilities. The above are just a few thoughts keeping the mind occupied and firmly on the fence. I'm sure I'll think up many more points to ponder over while we wait on delivery timelines and real world feedback from the early birds.

Last edited by ask99 : 5th August 2022 at 10:35.
ask99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 10:36   #1014
BHPian

I was looking for the long thread, but didnt see comment on this hence asking
1. What is likely delivery timeline for those who dont make it in first 25000 bookings? My SA told it would be by Dec for sure, if booked top end model. But going by XUV experience, I doubt this.
2. What is expected hike for those who are 25001 onwards in booking queue?

While I am inclined towards buying Scorpio N in spite of all the shortcomings (the way 2nd / 3rd rows are organized / uneven boot / boot space in general and obvious cost cutting efforts here and there), plus the whooping 4.5 lakh premium for AT + 4x4 combo. And if the further price hike is taking the premium more than 5.5, I would rather take the booking amount back and wait till the Euphoria dies down.
Old 5th August 2022, 11:37   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is it too much to ask from a single car?
Not really. There are quite a few cars that can play the dual role of a good highway rider as well as fairly capable off-roader (and I do not mean trail bashing here). As a matter of fact, monocoque AWDs like Jeep Compass 4x4, XUV 7OO AWD, Toyota HyRyder AWD, upcoming Maruti Grand Vitara AWD should fit the bill perfectly for your use case - take your pick depending on your budget, as well as power & space requirements. I'd even say that if your primary usage is highway driving with mild soft-roads thrown in to reach an offbeat destination, then you would be better off with these AWD monocoques, as they ride and handle much better on highways compared to Scoprio-N (or any other BOF SUV), and could easily take on the kind of off-road scenarios that you alluded to. I would highly encourage you to test-drive these AWDs and the Scorpio-N - preferably within a span of few days - to be able to take an informed decision. Being used to a great handler that the S-Cross is, you might really find it hard to get used to the Scorpio-N.

Quote:
Is the 4x4 4XPLORE model always in 4x4 mode?
The Scorpio-N is a part-time 4WD and not a full-time 4WD. By default it is in RWD mode and only when you press the "4H" button or switch the terrain-selection dial to one of the available options does the car get into 4x4 mode. Hope that clarifies.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 13:19   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
3. Staying on the wheel wagon. The 255/60 R18 tire size translates to a 30" tire size, which seems to have very limited options in India. Also the 245/65 R17 spec has smaller 13 mm smaller wheels which should mean 13mm less ground clearance. Should we expect a difference in ride height to affect the handling? Considering that every Scorpio N bar the AT in Z8 and Z8 L trims will come with the 17" setup, what size should one consider as the true spec with reference to speedo calibration, ESC etc when considering a tire swap? (i.e. Which size would you calculate your 3% suggested max variance with?)
I had booked Z8L 4x4 AT which comes with 18" rims and 255/60R18 tyres but have decided to downsize with 17" rims and 265/65 R17 BF Goodrich ko2 tyres. The difference in size is 1.72% but GC and tyre sidewall height will increase by 20 mm and 12.5% respectively. So resulting in better ride quality.

If wish to hold 18" rims, there are many options including Geolanders G015 and BF ko2's available in 265/60 R18 size.

Last edited by Harshavarthan : 5th August 2022 at 13:23.
Harshavarthan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 14:02   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
I had booked Z8L 4x4 AT which comes with 18" rims and 255/60R18 tyres but have decided to downsize with 17" rims and 265/65 R17 BF Goodrich ko2 tyres. The difference in size is 1.72% but GC and tyre sidewall height will increase by 20 mm and 12.5% respectively. So resulting in better ride quality.
1. What are the tyre options for 245/65 R17 size in the lower variants of Scorpio N? Target usage- bad and broken roads, gravel, mud, slush, small water stream crossing, dust/ sand and loose gravel condition at sharp hairpin bends in hills, black ice and thin layer of snow (1-2 inches) etc.

Note: Above purpose is not for off-roading adventure sports. It is intended to tackle the challenging situations occasionally.

2. Whether the 265/65 R17 tyres can be fitted on the steel rim of R17 size?

Last edited by RijuC : 5th August 2022 at 14:04.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 14:39   #1018
BHPian

The spare wheel is a space saver, right? Is it possible to keep a full-size tyre in the spare-wheel well ? I don't mind buying an extra steel wheel to keep as a spare.
Old 5th August 2022, 15:41   #1019
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing beats a good 4WD system., This is not necessarily limited to off-road excursions. Our cities are getting increasingly like mountain trails. Yesterday, when I was going to drop my son off to his school on my 2020 Thar, and the street next to his school was entirely dug up to lay storm water drains. Half of the 20 foot wide street was gone. On the other half, a builder working on a flat had dumped sand narrowing down the passage to about 4 feet wide and there were bricks on the side of the drain. Decided to go over a layer of scattered bricks on one side about a foot of sand on the other. Initially the vehicle seemed a bit stuck as the front wheel went in between bricks. I just engaged 4H on my Thar and in a few seconds we were past the obstacle without breaking a sweat. All the other cars behind me including a Jeep Compass (not sure if it was a AWD) started to U-turn seeing the obstacles. It is in such moments it feels gratifying to have a true 4X4.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 5th August 2022 at 15:42.
84.monsoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 15:48   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
1. What are the tyre options for 245/65 R17 size in the lower variants of Scorpio N? Target usage- bad and broken roads, gravel, mud, slush, small water stream crossing, dust/ sand and loose gravel condition at sharp hairpin bends in hills, black ice and thin layer of snow (1-2 inches) etc.

Note: Above purpose is not for off-roading adventure sports. It is intended to tackle the challenging situations occasionally.

2. Whether the 265/65 R17 tyres can be fitted on the steel rim of R17 size?
265/65 should fit but the increased contact size of the tire will increase rolling resistance and reduce mileage a bit. it will increase braking power and cornering ability but it will also induce some speedo error.
If you see the ratio of 245/65 and 265/65, then the shoulder is taller by almost 13mm in the later and hence the ride could be better but cornering ability could be impacted. Changing the size can cause a dip in fuel economy, abnormal handling, rubbing, alignment issues, and unnecessary stress on the powertrain. Ideally, either of the width or the aspect ratio should change and not both to avoid issues. Go for 265/60 which will still give you the same height but a wider profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
The spare wheel is a space saver, right? Is it possible to keep a full-size tyre in the spare-wheel well ? I don't mind buying an extra steel wheel to keep as a spare.
I think in top end variants, the spare wheel is indeed a full size tire as compared to lower variants. i have read for Z8 with 18" the spare tire is a 17" with bigger shoulder whereas the Z8L gets a same size tire as the vehicle. You may want to check with the SA once and I may have a wrong info here.
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed