Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2022, 17:55   #1051
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Guys, need a small help here…i have booked Z8L D AT 4x4 in Dazzling Silver which is the same shade as the silver in XUV700. Similarly, Everest White is also the same as XUV700.

Being the last week for editing the variant, need some help whether to go ahead with Silver or change to White. SA told me he would prefer white over Silver. I am ok with both colours as i had previously owned a silver and currently have a white.

Pls suggest which colour to go for ScorpioN out of the two.
Old 7th August 2022, 18:25   #1052
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Another observation for this Diesel AT 4x4 variant- I was very gentle on the brake pedal. However, there was a considerable pitching whenever I touched the brake pedal lightly or halfway. Can someone please confirm what was their experience with the Diesel variants, or the 4x4 variants? I didn't like this pitching during pressing the brake gently or halfway. It was never present in Petrol AT variant.
I had a brief test drive today of the Z8L Diesel AT 4WD and I observed the exact same issue. Even the slightest pressure on the brake pedal caused the front end to pitch and nosedive. It was really quite irritating . Asked the SA and he also acknowledged the same. Even he told that the petrol variant did not have such significant pitching.

Other than this I did not notice any other major issue. Of course its not as silent, smooth and quick as the petrol but the pickup was good enough for me. The other thing was you could feel some vibration inside the cabin while starting the car but that is not a deal breaker.

Need to check the Diesel RWD AT variant now to see if it behaves in the same way when the brake pedal is pressed.
SDK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 19:51   #1053
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Even the slightest pressure on the brake pedal caused the front end to pitch and nosedive.
Wondering if the extra weight of the 4x4 variant is causing this pitch/nosedive or is it just excessive brake bite? I have seen this happen when I took a TD of the Fortuner and also TD of ScorpioN. I ignored it thinking that I am used to braking hard on my current vehicle knowing my current vehicle wont stop if I brake lightly.

On a related note, I also noticed that the engine compartment of the Diesel 4x2 AT had a good 10 inches of total free space right in front of the engine. I could fit in a small school bag there. This was crazy, not sure if this hollow is for the Petrol engine or something else (to keep the overall length of the car the same across variants).

Which dealership in Hyderabad did you get to TD the 4x4 Diesel AT?
Old 7th August 2022, 20:10   #1054
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post

On a related note, I also noticed that the engine compartment of the Diesel 4x2 AT had a good 10 inches of total free space right in front of the engine. I could fit in a small school bag there. This was crazy, not sure if this hollow is for the Petrol engine or something else (to keep the overall length of the car the same across variants).
It is quite hollow!
I was quite surprised. I suppose it'll allow for discrete winch mounting and a solid rebound area for head-on impacts. \
This is after the fact that the engine is not mounted transversely as in the 700.
It's mounted like the thar - so the engine compartment should have been hogged by the engine. Quite strange to see so much buffer!
Old 7th August 2022, 20:47   #1055
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Which dealership in Hyderabad did you get to TD the 4x4 Diesel AT?
Automotive at Panjagutta Nagarjuna circle.
If you want to test drive it, ensure you call them first and check if its still there as they are rotating the same vehicle between the different showrooms.
Old 8th August 2022, 01:36   #1056
BHPian

I have been silently reading through all the comments and observation and held back my feedback till i observe the vehicle multiple times and have sufficient test drive miles. Now since i have completed that below is my experience.

To start with, i own a 2017 1.3 S-Cross so that becomes my comparison benchmark. I love the comfort, dynamics and space of the vehicle but my grouse has been lack of power, safety concern and lack of complete peace of mind when travelling to places like Spiti and Ladakh. So what i dreamt of, is a powerful engine with go anywhere capability and a safe shell vehicle.
Fortuner came out as the only credible option but the price was beyond my means

Then came this news of new Scorpio being a modern SUV which is both comfortable and safe, which made me extremely interested in Scorpio. With each scoop and reel it seemed more desirable and finally once the news of it having a 4X4 AT with low range was out, it became quite clear that this can be my next vehicle, only missing piece was price. Price of 4X4 variant seems to be on higher side but if i compare with the options in market honestly it seems fairly priced, it would have been good value had it also had manual lockers, ventilated seats and auto dimming IRVM. Anyway it is the only option in the market for my need and i guess Mahindra knows it quite well.

Like most of car lovers on this forum, i also went to check out the car on date of launch and was blown away by the looks. But i had this realisation that i am smitten by this vehicle so will reserve my decision till i have a good look at it multiple times and i did the same.

Static Observations
Good
  • Great imposing looks, read Black
  • Go anywhere capability
  • Good build quality
  • Powerful Engine

Not So Good
  • Huge dimensions does not transfer to great internal space
  • Surprisingly short seat base both at front and rear aka Thar
  • Not so premium looking plastics
  • Space called joke under front armrest
  • Enough has been said about 3rd row seat folding mechanism eating space but additionally floor contour looks like an experiment, i intend to get a plyboard cut along the contour and wrap it with damping cloth to have a flat floor board
  • No hydraulic strut for bonnet
  • No ventilated seats
  • Would have loved the rear seats to recline fully like Gurkha to have a good short nap
  • No air purifier and auto dimming IRVM

Drive Impressions
While the engine is powerful, it does has turbo lag lower down when it starts from stationary. Visibility is good but man o man the steering feels like the arm has broken of, it is so light. It would definitely take some time to get used to it. Considering the BoF construction it has good stability but it does feel some bit wobbly coming from a crossover experience. The great part is one need not worry about spotting bumps or potholes, they do not matter to this mammoth and there is no sound that comes into the cabin which gives great confidence about the strength of the suspension and frame. The vehicle feels great mechanically and that is a good feeling for a person like me who is not very fond of huge amount of electronics in car but looks at hard metal content more.
I have some concern about long drive comfort with limited thigh support due to short length of seat base even for a person of my height (5'10").
The premium on Z8L due to Sony sound system(among other) is not worth the money, while the clarity was good but the sound did not have depth, punch or heaviness to command that kind of premium, better to upgrade aftermarket for audiophile.
Overall the experience was good and nothing deal breaking.

Just like many others, my booking was also modified to introductory price. While i booked black Z8 4X4 AT, but in two minds between black and green but finally have selected black and hope not to modify it before 15th.
Now waiting eagerly for the delivery schedule and ownership experience of early birds
Bluebird_7 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 02:23   #1057
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
Just like many others, my booking was also modified to introductory price. While i booked black Z8 4X4 AT, but in two minds between black and green but finally have selected black and hope not to modify it before 15th.
Did you test drive the 4x4 AT ? If yes, did you observe the pitching/nosedive of the front end when the brake pedal is pressed ?

The 4x4 AT I test drove today had significant pitching when I put even the slightest pressure on the brake pedal.
Wanted to know if this is a generic issue or a problem with the car I drove.
SDK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 08:25   #1058
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
SA told me he would prefer white over Silver.
This is good video of all colors : .. you may have to pause and check where in the video you find the color you are looking for. Checking it out in person is best if possible.

A bit touchy question, in almost all drag races between the Fortuner and the Scorpio N, the Scorpio N is not the first to leap but it is almost always the first to take over/reach the end line! The Fortuner struggles to keep up with the Scorpio N specially as the initial speed picks up. ..why would this be the case?

We can assume some of these videos may be biased/rigged/unscientific/not done properly. But if you see the emotions of the drivers in these videos, their competitive spirit is clearly showing up. They become obsessed to beat the other person no matter which car you are in. This makes me think these races do tell some truth.

Old 8th August 2022, 08:43   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Did you test drive the 4x4 AT ? If yes, did you observe the pitching/nosedive of the front end when the brake pedal is pressed ?
Yes it does nosedive even on slight input but i observed the same on D MT 2WD as well. So I guess weight distribution spread even without transfer case is not perfect. Long bonnet also seem to play a part here and additionally the brakes are not progressive and eager to grab instantly which lead to faster than planned deceleration. It will take some time to get used to similar to light steering.

Quote:
This is good video of all colors : https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=hwymrBrcQK4 .. you may have to pause and check where in the video you find the color you are looking for. Checking it out in person is best if possible.
Exactly, few colors look so different in person, I was sold out on green but even after 4-5 visits to showroom I am not able to completely like it. So pls don't take your decision based on videos and reviews, pls check out the vehicle on road, not even in showroom lights, it looks very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post

Static Observations
Good
[list][*]Great imposing looks, read Black[*]Go anywhere capability
Few more observations:
- Saw lot many videos complaining about bottle holders being inaccessible in rear door, it's untrue one can easily access 1 lt bottle without opening the door, i purposely tried it with 2 different shaped bottles
- Plastic trims on doors are very wide which eat away usable width on rear seat, I tried lying flat on the seat but the space was no more than my S-Cross
-Glossy plastic on instrument cluster and window control attracts lot of dust, missed checking whether they are illuminated
- While the seat base angle on rear seat seemed to be more comfort oriented, one on front passenger seemed more flat, not sure it is designed that way or I was hallucinating
- AT gear lever feels rock solid
- Steering size is a bit small for the vehicle type, it's not a F1 inspired M5
-Did not feel much difference in airiness with sunroof open, thanks to otherwise large glass areas, I would have rather prefererred metal over my head
- ORVMs are huge and did not notice A pillar obstructing view but one need to be careful about spots lower down on either side of front wheels specially for smaller objects like stray cats, stones. Rear view is OK, would have been better with larger rear glass
- Who the hell provides all season tyres on a 4X4. That should be the first mod, still deciding between Apterra/Dueller and Geolander
- Huge air filter casing, not sure is it due to BS6 engines
- Lot of usage of heat shield material
- Quite some usable space in front of engine to place discrete winch assembly seems more to do with crash rating needs

In summary the vehicle is more suited to people who are more obsessed about what is below the cabin than the cabin itself.

MOD NOTE : Please take your time & reply to all posts in one go, instead of back to back posts on the same thread.

Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules and Posting Etiquettes before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th August 2022 at 09:50. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Bluebird_7 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th August 2022, 10:23   #1060
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra Scorpio-N Diesel Automatic Review

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-1a.jpg

• Mahindra is closely guarding its utility vehicle fortress. They hit it out of the park with the 2nd-gen Thar, the XUV700 and now, the Scorpio-N. Do note that even the Marazzo was a kickass MPV - extremely competent. It failed only due to non-product related reasons such as price, marketing, positioning, not having an AT, no petrol, and competition from the Ertiga / XL6 on one side & the mighty Innova on the other, etc.

• We have to understand that brand Scorpio is now 20 years old. A very powerful nameplate, it is to the Rs. 20 – 25 lakh segment what the Fortuner is to the Rs. 40 - 50 lakh segment. Brand Scorpio has an enormous following in rural as well as urban India (just like the Fortuner). Hence, Mahindra has smartly gone for evolutionary changes preserving the successful formula, rather than revolutionary ones. It’s still got a lot of the original Scorpio DNA (body-on-frame construction, tough build, 4x4, commanding driving position, etc.), but Mahindra does appear to have brought the SUV up to the times by improving in several crucial areas.

• Must say this Scorpio-N feels like it’s 2 or 3 generations ahead of the old Scorpio.

• Here’s an important point = the Scorpio-N is now, a lot more woman-friendly than the original Scorpio. Where the original car had crude interiors, this one has a likeable cabin with most of the expected amenities. It has a light steering, an automatic transmission, good-looking interiors, a petrol option, a nice sound system, features (sunroof too, albeit a small unit) and more. The fairer sex cares about these points. My better half was driving the Scorpio-N. She was totally at home within 5 minutes of being in it on the expressway. While women have always influenced car purchase decisions of the house, now there are a lot more women buying 20-lakh rupee cars for themselves too (or contributing to the car’s EMI in double-income families).

• It’s truly amazing what a long way Rs. 20 lakh cars have come. Frankly, the Rs. 20-25 lakh segment gives you all the car you need with enough power, enough space, enough gadgets and now, enough safety as well. We are seeing some really competent models in this space and one honestly doesn’t need to spend over this price point, no matter whether you are looking at an SUV or MPV or Sedan or Crossover. Any car over 30 lakhs is driven more by desire than need.

• The AT variant I drove has a stiff premium over the MT. IMHO, Mahindra is clearly going for profits. After all, it is a seller's market, the AT is brilliantly matched to the engine and the truth is, AT customers are less price sensitive. If they want the AT, they want the AT.

Exterior

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2b.jpg

• I like the front end styling, and the side profile is extremely smart too. But the rear is quite boring & seems MPV’ish to my eyes. The Scorpio-N has presence – is butch too – although it could do with a butt-lift already.

• Owners will appreciate the Scorpio-N for being abuse-friendly, overload-friendly, rough road-friendly and rough use-friendly. You know this tough SUV has that Mahindra DNA in it and it’s going to take abuse like a champ. In fact, in rural areas, I fully expect to see Scorpio-Ns with 14 people squeezed into them. Like Boleros. Think about it, what better upgrade for a Bolero-driving farmland owner than the relatively luxurious Scorpio-N? We stopped at a local tyre shop and every pedestrian who walked by was turning around and checking the Scorpio-N out. An elderly gentleman asked me what car it is, and even a 10-year old kid was curious about this new Scorpio-N. Heck, the person filling air in the spare tyre had 10 questions about the Scorpio-N.

• We are driving right next to a Mercedes GLS and are as tall as the Benz. We tower over crossovers and sedans. This kind of butch presence and height does have an advantage in India. It has a “feel good” factor too, I got to admit (even as a sedan lover).

• I’ll go one step further and say that your driving style does change when you are driving a tough body-on-frame SUV. People give you way and you are not as careful as you would be in say, a delicate sedan or softer crossover. This is a “proper Mahindra” in that sense.

• One thing about the Scorpio is that it finds a lot of interest in urban India as well as rural India. Out in the countryside, it’s one of the ULTIMATE status symbols. That’s not the case with a vehicle like the Skoda Kushaq (just an example), which you can safely assume has its sales primarily from more urban areas.

• The spare tyre, which is a space saver, was low on air pressure (the TPMS warned me). With the way that it is placed under the car, the tyre nozzle is on the top. There is no way to fill air in it without pulling the wheel down!!! This is a serious fail in terms of useability (not just Scorpio, many other SUVs / MPVs too suffer from this). Imagine, for such a regular & routine maintenance thingie, you have to dislodge the spare tyre. A 10-12 minute exercise easily. The OEMs should figure out a more convenient way to do this.

Interior

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2-large.jpg

• The Scorpio-N has a superb, tall and commanding driving position like a proper SUV, and not softer crossovers like the Creta, Seltos and gang. Frontal visibility is excellent and the tall seating makes you more confident on bad roads.

• The A-Pillar is thick and Mahindra is on a safety roll of late. Like the Thar, XUV700 and XUV300, I am more confident about how the Scorpio-N will fare in the GNCAP crash tests (old Scorpio royally flunked the test). But the thicker A-Pillar with the ORVM right next to it creates a blind spot. When you are turning right into a lane, you will want to proceed cautiously to ensure that you don’t miss seeing an object in your way.

• A crucial area where there is a big, big improvement would be the cabin ambience & interior quality. Another would be space in the driver’s seat. At 5’10”, I could never fit comfortably in the old Scorpio, which was a shame, because it was so big on the outside and so cramped on the inside. In the Scorpio-N, I was comfortable and even with the seat set to my 5’10” driving position, it could slide further back. A 6-footer will fit in here, while 2nd-row space is adequate too. Cabin comfort is way better than the old Scorpio, although the outright room isn’t as much as the exterior dimensions would have you believe and I do find the XUV700 / Safari middle rows to be comfier. The 1st & 2nd seat rows are adequate, while the cramped last row is for kids only. The lack of a sliding middle row & split-folding 3rd row are shocking omissions that will inconvenience owners looking for more flexibility in space management. Boot space is terrible with the 3rd-row up. Roof-top carriers have already reached the neighbourhood accessory store .

• Even those with a delicate lower back will find the back support to be satisfactory. Has manual lumbar adjustment.

• One of the USPs of the old Scorpio was the individual armrests on the front seats. Mahindra should have continued with those. Right now, what they are giving (center armrest) is what every other car offers. Seriously, those individual armrests should have been carried forward. They were like a “signature dish” of the Scorpio and oh-so-comfortable.

• One thing that Mahindra has missed is a telescopic (reach adjustable) steering. At 5’10”, I was OK with it, although really short people will face ergonomic issues. Not just that, I have a feeling that 6 footers & up will also miss a telescopic steering. This car is otherwise so well-equipped with 6 airbags, a 12-speaker sound system and other features, that the telescopic steering feels like a major miss. Another omission that sticks out like an ugly pimple is an auto-dimming IRVM. Why am I spending Rs. 20+ lakhs, and then having to flip a switch at night??? This is unnecessary, cheap cost-cutting.

• Good sound quality, especially from Mahindra who I feel has never gotten their ICE correct. Will give audio quality a 7 / 10 rating. Satisfactory & fun to listen to, yet not a match to the MG Hector, which I feel still has the best ICE in this price segment.

• The automatic wipers need fine-tuning because their sensitivity sucks. Mahindra needs to make them more sensitive. Many times, I exited tunnels while it was raining and the wipers started a couple of seconds too late and in torrential rain, they were on the second-fastest speed. I had to manually engage the fastest wiping level. With auto wipers and headlamps, OEMs should err on the side of safety. Rather have them “on” a little more…than a little less.

• It sure is a climb up into the second-row seats. This isn’t a vehicle that is senior citizen-friendly in terms of ingress & egress. Of course, the side steps help, but it’s not as easy as in crossovers. You have to “climb into” the Scorpio-N.

• The captain seats in the second row are comfortable. The backrests are adjustable and both seats get individual armrests, which will make travelling long distances that much nicer. However, the last row is not adult-friendly at all (either short adults or better yet, children). If you are frequently going to be carrying 5 adults, go for the bench seat version so that three passengers can sit on the second row comfortably. In this captain seat variant, the fifth person is not going to be happy climbing into the third row. Ingress is tough & the last row is cramped.

• Excellent glass area! Even though the interiors are dark with a black + dark brown theme, it’s not claustrophobic at all. The rear window is big like my house’s window!! Rear passengers obviously sit tall and they have a fantastic view of all the happenings outside. There’s a healthy amount of light coming into the cabin.

Driving the Scorpio-N Diesel AT

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-3.jpg

• In the city, the Scorpio-N is extremely driveable. The engine has good pep and a satisfactory mid-range. It’s a breeze to drive with the light steering, commanding driving position, excellent frontal visibility, smooth AT and no one messing with you.

• What stands out is how smooth the Diesel AT is. I was driving at 20-40 km/h with the engine spinning at 1,500-1,800 rpm (the typical rev range that you will see in the city) and all I could hear was merely a mild hum. Unlike so many body-on-frame UVs with their loud clattery engines, Mahindra has worked hard on the NVH factor. Refinement is a strong point of the Scorpio-N’s Diesel-AT combination (petrol even more so I guess).

• On the highway, the Scorpio-N Diesel AT is a great cruiser. You can maintain speeds of 100-120 km/h all day long. It's quite the mile-muncher.

• Even at 90-100 km/h, all you hear is a mild hum from the diesel engine and it’s a likeable hum. Some diesels sound good, while some sound bad and are clattery; all you hear here is a mild likeable hum. Good stuff.

• Quick & peppy enough, never feeling underpowered in any situation. Power delivery is satisfactory. That being said, the Diesel AT isn’t F-A-S-T (if you know what I mean).

• Push the Scorpio-N with the transmission in manual mode and the engine revs to ~4,700 rpm.

• Who names the driving modes Zip, Zap, Zoom? C-O-R-N-Y! Mahindra should really have stuck to the conventional Eco, Normal and Sport nomenclature. What on earth is Zip, Zap, Zoom? Worse still, you cannot ignore zip-zap-zoom! I chuckled every time I saw that mode displayed on the instrument cluster.

• I have said this before with the Thar and XUV700 also, I am super happy with how Mahindra and Tata are tuning their AT gearboxes with their engines. They are doing a fantastic job. Tata did a better job with the Harrier / Safari ATs (which use FCA’s 2.0L diesel) than Jeep could manage with its own engine! And this is where they are nailing it. Many competitors don’t offer a Diesel AT combination. Mahindra has gone a step further than Tata by offering a very competent (fuel economy aside) Turbo-Petrol AT too.

• I appreciate how the automatic gearbox maintains the right ratio most of the time. Sometimes, even if it is at the expense of fuel economy, it will stick to a lower gear if that’s the more apt choice. I appreciate a well-tuned AT gearbox and this is something the Scorpio-N has gotten spot on. The praise is coming from someone whose daily driver is a ZF-8 speed.

• Even in Zap mode (not zoom), you will notice that the car doesn’t necessarily freewheel or just shift to a higher gear for the sake of fuel efficiency. On the other hand, to enhance driveability, it will hold on to a lower gear as an enthusiast would prefer in certain conditions. It’s nice to see a focus on driveability and response times from AT engineers.

• I don’t like automatics that freewheel excessively for economy. I don’t like automatics that are eager to jump into higher gears for economy. This AT is not one of those. It makes an effort to keep the engine in its power band and what’s more, you always have a certain level of engine braking.

• Perhaps, as a downside of the abovementioned points + the Scorpio’s breadbox aerodynamics + fat weight + power on tap + torque converter AT, the round-trip FE I saw was 11 km/l. Which is just average (pun intended). This included ~400 km of all kinds of driving, but hardly any traffic conditions (perhaps just 50 km of it was in traffic in Pune). City + highway + rural areas. Can tell you a Creta / Seltos Diesel AT would’ve given at least 15 km/l in the same circuit, if not more. 11 km/l was also without really driving hard as the Scorpio-N isn’t a corner carver at all; I would’ve driven a Creta or Kushaq much harder. With the Scorpio, it was more of a relaxed cruise due to its height, weight, body-on-frame road behaviour and heavy rains that week.

Ride & Handling

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-10.jpg

• Ride quality is much, much improved over the earlier pogo-stick-like bumpy Scorpio, but it is still a mixed bag. The suspension is compliant in 70% of situations, liveable in most, yet very fussy in some (e.g. bad roads taken at crawling speeds). Additionally, ride comfort is better on the front seats than the middle row – 2nd row passengers will find the suspension to be extremely busy, even on the expressway. I jumped on the middle row while the lady was driving; the 2nd-row was never riding “flat” on the highway @ 80 – 100 km/h! Of course, do keep in mind that rear seat ride quality will improve with more load and if all the seats are full (typical of most BOF UVs).

• At low speeds and in the city, the Scorpio-N’s suspension is now liveable and mostly compliant. That being said, the Scorpio-N has no magic carpet ride like a Renault Duster. Low speed ride quality in the city is way better than the likes of the Fortuner, I might add.

• As long as the tarmac is clean, the Scorpio-N rides in a compliant manner. However, on bad roads taken at low speeds, bumps and pothole edges are felt on the inside. And there is some vertical and side-to-side movement as well, where passengers are tossed around.

• The Scorpio-N's steering is very light at parking speeds and slow speeds. Owners will appreciate this trait on a daily basis.

• I must say that I much prefer the Scorpio-N's suspension tune to the Fortuner. In fact, even to drive, the Fortuner, at low speeds, has got a heavy steering and bumpy ride. To drive around the city, the Scorpio-N is so much more user-friendly because of the light steering, the refined engine and the less-bumpy ride quality. We are comparing two different segments, but like I mentioned, the Scorpio is to the Rs. 20 lakh segment what the Fortuner is to the Rs. 50 lakh segment.

• The Scorpio-N rides acceptably well on the expressway, but what’s important is that if you encounter potholes at speed (I crossed one at 90 km/h), you don’t even have to slow down for them. My co-passenger was talking and didn’t even have to pause while speaking. We just flew over the bump. So, at speed, you won’t need to slow down for rough patches. This thing just has that robustness to it and unlike at lower speeds, it dismisses bumps with more composure at highway speeds.

• While the ride is compliant, it is a busy suspension @ 100 km/h. Even on the expressway, you can feel the joints, there is movement from the bottom, yet it is acceptable. I was sitting in the second row and could feel that the suspension was very busy. The front seats have a distinct advantage in terms of ride quality. This is not a Hexa or even XUV700 for that matter.

• One differentiator from the XUV700 is that the monocoque XUV feels very urban, whereas the body-on-frame Scorpio feels very rough & tough. It has a feeling of robustness and feel-good factor to it.

• This is exactly the sort of vehicle that you want when you are in the middle of nowhere. I was in a corner of MH that was so remote there was no mobile data! There were rough roads, no roads, narrow roads, uphill sections, downhill sections and mid-level water logging at some places. This is just the kind of SUV you will want at such a place.

• As I mentioned earlier, the Scorpio-N takes broken roads better at 50 km/h than 20 km/h. While making this voice note, I drove through some rough patches at 50 - 60 km/h and we literally flew over them. You just know that, like most Mahindra body-on-frame UVs, you’ll never have to slow down for rough patches.

• Straight line stability at a cruising speed of 100-120 km/h is satisfactory. The car doesn’t feel nervous, but you are always aware of the vehicle's height and the fact that it’s a BOF construction. So, while the stability is fair, you have got to be very mindful of the higher center of gravity.

• A rare test-drive media car that I didn’t drive hard at all. The height, weight & BOF build means you have to take it easy around corners (fear of toppling). While the grip levels are satisfactory, you do feel the top-heaviness. This is not a vehicle you will take corners fast in. Keep your speeds conservative around curves. It's just better to err on the side of caution.

• When it was dry, I was cruising at 120 km/h, but in the rains, 80-100 km/h is advisable. In an SUV like this one, that’s probably what you should keep it at for comfortable cruising with the family.

Nice car, a Team-BHP tee, lovely weather, great music, awesome company & black coffee. What else does one need in life?
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-6.jpg

Beautiful MH, Beautiful India. I personally enjoy holidays & road-tripping in India (GA, RJ, KL, etc.) more than most destinations abroad:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-8.jpg

These broken patches taken at crawling speeds will have the passengers being tossed about in the cabin. Lots of side-to-side swaying:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-11.jpg

Found this Scorpio owner's jugaad garage to be very cute. All men love their machines, whether its a Moped or a Mercedes, a Ford or a Ferrari:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-12.jpg

The Scorpio-N sure was a head-turner in rural India (perfect upgrade for a Bolero-owning farmer). Interestingly, it was a head-turner in urban India too:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-13.jpg

This underpass in Chakan was flooded. Lesser cars were driving through, and the Scorpio-N would easily make it to the other side. But because it's not my property and I didn't want to ruin a great road-trip, we turned around and took the longer way out (added 30+ minutes to the destination):
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-14.jpg

Buvachi Misal in Lonavla - you absolutely cannot miss having breakfast or lunch here. One of the few places which serves top quality delicious food at unbelievably reasonable prices:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-15.jpg

And super clean too! Never had a bad tummy after eating their yummy misal + vada pav + onion pakora + strong tea (my standard combo-meal there):
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-16.jpg

Stunning roads & views through & through:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-18.jpg

Takes all kinds to fill our roads...
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2022 at 10:52. Reason: Images
GTO is offline   (270) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 10:32   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
This is good video of all colors :
I have been seeing or rather have seen all videos of Scorpio-N by which ever channel to have a glimpse of Silver or the Grand Canyon colour but apart from one small clip i came across on this forum itself, there is no Grand Canyon or Silver color visible in any videos. Gold is also visible in one of Gagan's review videos but the other 2 i mentioned are strictly not to be seen.

According to SA, Silver is the same as XUV700's so if i don't come across anything much in this week, will do a Toss and take the color accordingly.
rahulya007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:22   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindra Scorpio-N Diesel Automatic Review
Well, thank you GTO for the review in detail. Had been waiting for your drive review.

One question: Does the car nose dive on braking? It appears that a few of our members have experienced heavy nose dive when braking the diesel auto.
acquillew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 13:09   #1063
BHPian

Quote:

Ride & Handling

• Additionally, ride comfort is better on the front seats than the middle row – 2nd row passengers will find the suspension to be extremely busy, even on the expressway.
• As long as the tarmac is clean, the Scorpio-N rides in a compliant manner. However, on bad roads taken at low speeds, bumps and pothole edges are felt on the inside. And there is some vertical and side-to-side movement as well, where passengers are tossed around.
Thanks for the feedback, GTO.
Does this apply to the front row as well? Personally, I am only bothered about the front-row comfort. Does this tossing around apply to the front row too?
Quote:
• Straight line stability at a cruising speed of 100-120 km/h is satisfactory. The car doesn’t feel nervous, but you are always aware of the vehicle's height and the fact that it’s a BOF construction. So, while the stability is fair, you have got to be very mindful of the higher center of gravity.
• A rare test-drive media car that I didn’t drive hard at all. The height, weight & BOF build means you have to take it easy around corners (fear of toppling). While the grip levels are satisfactory, you do feel the top-heaviness. This is not a vehicle you will take corners fast in. Keep your speeds conservative around curves. It's just better to err on the side of caution.
How bad or challenging is this for a person with non-BOF experience to maintain 100+ speeds on highways with usual twists & turns? (Not the straight expressways).
I am used to hatchbacks & Creta/Seltos/Kushaq driving consistently at triple digit highway speeds, not necessarily at corners, but generally. This consistent feedback to be careful around corners is a bit unnerving.
Thanks

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th August 2022 at 15:56. Reason: Minor edit re highway speeds.
KNL_Bandi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 13:11   #1064
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuskm View Post
Would prefer VVC , you can ask for Srikant SM very helpful person
Any other folks from Hyderabad and experiences between VVC motors and Automotive Mahindra? Specially post sales servicing as one can go to any service center post delivery.
Old 8th August 2022, 14:19   #1065
BHPian

How does the ride and handling compare with a XUV500? Any existing XUV500 owner, please enlighten.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed