Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 16:12   #1111
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
How does the ride and handling compare with a XUV500? Any existing XUV500 owner, please enlighten.
How does a XUV500 (being a monocoque but from an older generation) compare with Scorpio N in terms of ride, handling and suspension? For limited soft off-roading purposes may be once in two months, does it make sense to go for Scorpio N 4WD or a pre-owned XUV500 AWD (thereby saving a few lakhs) ?
Old 10th August 2022, 16:33   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
I have booked a Z8L 4×4 Auto but now having 2nd thoughts about Z8 vs Z8L.

Front parking sensors and camera I assume can be added at dealership for less than Rs 10,000?

Powered driver seats is not a must have, especially if there is no memory function, which I realized in my current car.

So is the speaker and wireless charger really worth the 1L+ premium? Or did I miss any other feature?
There is quite some tech that has gone into the 12-13 speaker system , you can read through Sony`s OEM partner page here. Just like the XUV they have created a page for Scorpio N as well.

Sony Audio Link

Is it worth the premium? Well, recreating this set up aftermarket will cost a lot of money and wont work as well either, so may as well get it now.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 19:44   #1113
BHPian

If anyone wants to check out how the Golden colour and the Red (not grand canyon) colour look like in daylight, can see this YouTube video. There seems to be some promotional drive and CSR "green drive project" at various parts of India. It was a bright day in Kolkata.

Old 11th August 2022, 00:01   #1114
BHPian

I have few queries related to the off road capabilities of Scorpio-N. Apologies if they sound very basic and trivial.
1. Compared to Thar the height of the Scorpio-N is more which maps to a higher centre of gravity. How will this impact the stability of the vehicle in slanting terrains compared to Thar?
2. The wheelbase of Scorpio-N is longer, will this have any detrimental effect while mitigating steep inclines and slopes in comparison to Thar?
3. When somebody is traversing rough terrain with steep inclines and slopes what all factors need to be considered while approaching the incline?
4. While mitigating rough terrain outlined with stones and boulders what all should be considered for the ease of the vehicle and it’s occupants?
5. Do we need to look out for any after market under chassis protection(sheet metal) for better protection?
PhoenixInRising is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 00:28   #1115
BHPian

So the front parking sensors for Mahindra cars is Rs 2500 plus installation. It says that it shows distance and also that it is universal. There goes one advantage of Z8L.

https://www.m2all.com/universal-fron...ng-sensor.html

Without memory function, powered seats won't be much advantage if one gives it to a valet once or so in a month. And more than seat, I feel they (other drivers) mess up mirrors which also need to be readjusted.

I am not an audiophile to spend even INR 25000 for upgrades.

About drowsiness detection: again not a big difference.

Stepney difference can again be ascribed perhaps INR 10K?

Front camera would be useful, but again INR 2Lakhs plus taxes is just insane. Even if we assume Mahindra increases prices by time Z8 are delivered and so taxes are higher compared to early Z8L, the difference will be still INR 2 Lakhs.
Sidban85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 02:56   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
So the front parking sensors for Mahindra cars is Rs 2500 plus installation. It says that it shows distance and also that it is universal. There goes one advantage of Z8L.

These are terrible. They don’t integrate with the screen and a separate ugly device is installed on dashboard. So Z8L still has that advantage.
Tanmay007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 03:02   #1117
BHPian

Quote:

Front camera would be useful, but again INR 2Lakhs plus taxes is just insane. Even if we assume Mahindra increases prices by time Z8 are delivered and so taxes are higher compared to early Z8L, the difference will be still INR 2 Lakhs.
My cousin recently took the delivery of the XUV700 AX7L D.

I had already booked my car at introductory price My model choice was the Z8 4wd Manual.

I too am not any sort of audiophile but after listening to the music system of the XUV I am sold on this. Even after reading the reviews, if its 10% less than the XUV, I feel its a big upgrade from my first gen XUV 500. I know there are many after market speakers that make this system sound like a broken record, but I never prefer after market solutions. I never changed my XUV 500 speakers for the same reason.

Then I thought about the wheels, I was planning to buy the alloys as accessories at the time of delivery which according to the accessories price list costed 65k(17 inch). If the showroom offers 10% off on accessories plus buyback of alloys they are still around 50k. So 2L-50K I have a 1.50L effective difference between the two models.

For front camera plus sensors (even the sensors that are offered as accessories wont be integrated similarly), The power seats and the Sony sound system. I feel the 1.50L is justified.

I feel the Manual upgrade to Z8L from Z8 makes more sense, As for the Autos you don't get the alloy wheel upgrade. So yes for that the 2L markup is a bit too much because the alloys are provided in both the models.
kushgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 09:07   #1118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixInRising View Post
I have few queries related to the off road capabilities of Scorpio-N. Apologies if they sound very basic and trivial.
1. Compared to Thar the height of the Scorpio-N is more which maps to a higher centre of gravity. How will this impact the stability of the vehicle in slanting terrains compared to Thar?
2. The wheelbase of Scorpio-N is longer, will this have any detrimental effect while mitigating steep inclines and slopes in comparison to Thar?
3. When somebody is traversing rough terrain with steep inclines and slopes what all factors need to be considered while approaching the incline?
4. While mitigating rough terrain outlined with stones and boulders what all should be considered for the ease of the vehicle and it’s occupants?
5. Do we need to look out for any after market under chassis protection(sheet metal) for better protection?
# Thar is a life style vehicle, ScorpioN is an all roads tourer.

# Thar has a shorter wheelbase, plus, it's approach, departure & rampover / breakover angle is superior to ScorpioN. We don't have figures, but we can safely assume so.

# Thar will a better SUV suited for off-road terrain / excursions, for driving 2 up, while ScorpioN should take you & other 3 persons to all parts of the country in decent comfort.

# They both are SUV's with a low range and should be able to excel in minor to moderate off-road scenarios but they are chalk and cheese.
Sheel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 11:51   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
There is quite some tech that has gone into the 12-13 speaker system , you can read through Sony`s OEM partner page here. Just like the XUV they have created a page for Scorpio N as well.

Sony Audio Link
This begs another question. What is being offered for the Z8 variant? I could not find any details on the specifications sheet? Is there any stock audio system provided or none at all ?

Last edited by krinpit : 11th August 2022 at 11:51. Reason: Spelling
Old 11th August 2022, 11:57   #1120
BHPian

Any news of a Petrol 4x4 in the Scorpio-N? Maybe a non-sunroof (O) option with some customizations - or is that too much to dream?
Old 11th August 2022, 13:03   #1121
BHPian

Guys, following seems to be the Mahindra leasing figures.May vary slightly based on location:

Z8 diesel AT = 54999 per month for 4 years,40000 kms. cumulative. This 40000 can be spread across years with no cap per year (as mentioned earlier,insurance,maintenace included. Fuel is on you)
In case you cross 40000 kms. extra charge = Rs.5 per km.
Buyback after 4 years = 751113
Net-net you pay 54999 * 48 months = 28.8 lacs.

Z8 petrol AT = 53699 pm.with buy-back for 732041. You can surrender the vehicle post the period but i think they will pay you only 732041. So it makes more sense to buy back and then sell as the re-sale value will be much higher.

Not sure about others ,but i felt if one is keeping the vehicle for long-term, leasing is not financially sensible. My experience has been that foreclosure of lease is not preferable as the charges really hits you hard. Didn't realize and made the mistake twice earlier. Seems here, apart from foreclosure charges we will also have to pay one-months lease extra.

Last edited by Ram78 : 11th August 2022 at 13:08.
Old 11th August 2022, 13:39   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
My cousin recently took the delivery of the XUV700 AX7L D.

I had already booked my car at introductory price My model choice was the Z8 4wd Manual.

I too am not any sort of audiophile but after listening to the music system of the XUV I am sold on this. Even after reading the reviews, if its 10% less than the XUV, I feel its a big upgrade from my first gen XUV 500. I know there are many after market speakers that make this system sound like a broken record, but I never prefer after market solutions. I never changed my XUV 500 speakers for the same reason.

Then I thought about the wheels, I was planning to buy the alloys as accessories at the time of delivery which according to the accessories price list costed 65k(17 inch). If the showroom offers 10% off on accessories plus buyback of alloys they are still around 50k. So 2L-50K I have a 1.50L effective difference between the two models.

For front camera plus sensors (even the sensors that are offered as accessories wont be integrated similarly), The power seats and the Sony sound system. I feel the 1.50L is justified.

I feel the Manual upgrade to Z8L from Z8 makes more sense, As for the Autos you don't get the alloy wheel upgrade. So yes for that the 2L markup is a bit too much because the alloys are provided in both the models.
Going by what you said, one would definitely not want to open up a brand new vehicle in a bid to add camera or upgrade the music system and cut/splice ruthlessly through the wiring harness. These after market guys are most of the times not concerned about what happens with the vehicle later, they are more concerned about their labor charges. Even if the fitting nowadays is socket based, you would be required to lay wires for the amplifier under seat, high gauge wires for the speakers etc. which is a painful task to see for a brand new vehicle. I did upgrade my Xylo but after about 4 years of being on stock speakers, and added components, under seat sub-woofer and another Class D amplifier under the steering column for the components and co-axials but i did that myself using all sorts of clips to my satisfaction after warranty was over.

Another point of consideration is Z8 might receive a higher price hike as compared to Z8L as Mahindra has already priced it higher than expected as compared to people's expectations. So when you consider the price difference as mentioned above, also consider if say Z8L price goes up by 20K and Z8 by 50-60K, then you need to reduce the price difference accordingly unless you have the price protection of early bookings.
Why i am saying this, if you refer to XUV700 price hike after initial 25K lot, the hike for top end was 20-30K whereas for other lower trims it was around 50K and above. I'll just hope M&M doesn't increase the price of Z8L at least for now as it was already priced higher than expected and still many people have booked it. Also, considering the huge number of bookings received, it shouldn't be a challenge for M&M to keep the pricing same for some time.

Quote:

i think these at 2250/- are still costlier as these seem to be generic. They could be available around 1500/- in local accessories shop. Dim chances that Mahindra will make such things available even before the 1st vehicle is delivered as many people will then tend to lower down their trims in a bid to get the accessories fitted from after market options and save some bucks in going for the higher variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
Guys, following seems to be the Mahindra leasing figures.May vary slightly based on location:

Z8 diesel AT = 54999 per month for 4 years,40000 kms. cumulative. This 40000 can be spread across years with no cap per year (as mentioned earlier,insurance,maintenace included. Fuel is on you)
In case you cross 40000 kms. extra charge = Rs.5 per km.
Buyback after 4 years = 751113
Net-net you pay 54999 * 48 months = 28.8 lacs.

Z8 petrol AT = 53699 pm.with buy-back for 732041. You can surrender the vehicle post the period but i think they will pay you only 732041. So it makes more sense to buy back and then sell as the re-sale value will be much higher.

Not sure about others ,but i felt if one is keeping the vehicle for long-term, leasing is not financially sensible. My experience has been that foreclosure of lease is not preferable as the charges really hits you hard. Didn't realize and made the mistake twice earlier. Seems here, apart from foreclosure charges we will also have to pay one-months lease extra.
Lease is always going to be costlier as they cover all the expenses done on the vehicle. After 4 years, the amount you said is the one you need to pay to keep the vehicle or again renew the lease on the buy back cost of the vehicle for another max 4 years making it a costly proposition anyways. With lease, you have almost paid the whole price of the vehicle without the vehicle being with you at the end of 48 months. In ownership, if you sell the vehicle after 4 years, you'll at least recover 40-50% price if not more.

I also contacted Mahindra Finance and got a call from their Leasing team explaining this...but gave up the thot after listening to their above figures and overall ownership costs.

Last edited by rahulya007 : 11th August 2022 at 13:48. Reason: added a response
rahulya007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 19:05   #1123
BHPian

Can someone please post pics.of the ScorpioN in 'Grand Canyon' and Silver colours?
Is Grand Canyon similar to the orangish color of the XUV500?

Last edited by Ram78 : 11th August 2022 at 19:19.
Old 11th August 2022, 19:50   #1124

Quote:
This begs another question. What is being offered for the Z8 variant? I could not find any details on the specifications sheet? Is there any stock audio system provided or none at all ?
When i asked the showroom they mentioned that while Z8L gets a twin channel subwoofer and 12 speaker setup, Z8 gets a single subwoofer and 8 speaker setup.
Old 11th August 2022, 19:59   #1125
BHPian

Some Musings. Some Insights.

So we are barely 3 days away from the last day to finalise variants, and there are no real life sightings of anything below Z8L variant, seemingly no existence of the Grand Canyon colour, and dealerships are still not providing extended test drives. I guess a lot of decisions will be made on hunches, feelings and hope!

Having made multiple visits to the showroom to checkout and drive the Scorpio N, I have seemingly built up a dossier of the compromises to be made in going with a Scorpio N (vs my XUV500, and in cases vs switching to an XUV700 instead)

Listing some of them here for everyone's benefit.

1.) Non-sliding sun visor. This is such a silly place to cut cost for Mahindra. The mounting points seem to be the same as those of the XUV 700, which does get sliding sun visors. Being on the taller end, I sit with the seat pushed all the way back and the regular sun visor just doesn't help when the sun shines through the driver side window. (Hope is the part will be exchangeable with the XUV700 version)

2.) Space towards the left knee seems a little less compared to the XUV700, and the doors seem to be more pushed out, so there's considerable space to one side of your legs, while on one side the knees are close to brushing the console. (Slightly better than the Thar). Something that would have to be lived with.

3.) Materials. Scratchy plastics galore. This is something shared with the XUV700. There's some leatherette on the armrest, door pads and the padding on the dashboard, but beyond that it's just Swift/Baleno quality interiors. With most of them being of the textured finish variety, it does downgrade the cabin feel. A step below even my current XUV500.

4.)One that has been pointed out many times, non-telescopic steering wheel. Why Mahindra! When adjusting the seat for comfortable leg postioning the steering is a little farther than I'd like, so the seat needs to be moved forward to a slightly compressed posture or a more upright position. Need a longer drive to decide if this can be lived with.

5.) Tested the bottle holders on the rear doors, and they can be accessed while the doors are closed. One downside is that they are a little on the shallow side with a wide opening and most bottles will wobble (maybe rattle) when placed there. XUV500 has deeper/tighter bottle holders which helps keep the bottle more secure.

6.) The rubber cover over the spare wheel removal nut is a little difficult to put back in place. The SA gave up after trying for a minute. There is a narrow groove on the side that needs to be secured into the metal cut out. But the depth (difference in cutout diameter and cap outer diameter) seems to be excessive and needs a lot of effort to secure.

7.) The jack seems to be a sturdy unit and has a separate storage area where it can be secured by adjusting it to a higher position after placing it inside. Can feel a bit fidly rotating the nub when placed inside.

8.) Pictures of the tool kit which comes in a felt wrap with all the tools displayed for reference. No designated place to store it though.

9.) Heavy bonnet doesn't seem to have any setup for future installation of hydraulic struts.

10.) Picture of the third row mounting for anyone contemplating removal/modification.

11.) Tire pressure specified as 34psi for both 17" and 18"
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220806_125149.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220806_125255.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220806_124800.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220806_124832.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220806_124039.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220806_124136.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220806_124336.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220806_124342.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by ask99 : 11th August 2022 at 20:00.
ask99 is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed