Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2022, 18:58   #1576
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

My queries:

1. If the roof carrier is installed as accessory on day-0 before it goes to RTO, does it appear on the RC? If the roof carrier is added later after receipt of the RC card, whether it can be added in the RC?
If it is not mentioned in RC, is it illegal to have the roof carrier mounted? Do the police create any trouble? (Basically, I do not know the motor vehicle rules regarding the roof carrier.)

2. Is there any other accessory which shall be installed on day-0 and shall appear on RC? What about side step?

3. Since the engine bay cover is of plastic material, is it necessary to replace it by a metallic one? Also, does this engine bay cover/ underbody cover also appear on the RC?

Bhpians visiting the dealership stockyard, could you see any Z4 variant there?
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:48   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
My queries:

1. If the roof carrier is installed as accessory on day-0 before it goes to RTO, does it appear on the RC? If the roof carrier is added later after receipt of the RC card, whether it can be added in the RC?
If it is not mentioned in RC, is it illegal to have the roof carrier mounted? Do the police create any trouble? (Basically, I do not know the motor vehicle rules regarding the roof carrier.)

2. Is there any other accessory which shall be installed on day-0 and shall appear on RC? What about side step?

3. Since the engine bay cover is of plastic material, is it necessary to replace it by a metallic one? Also, does this engine bay cover/ underbody cover also appear on the RC?

Bhpians visiting the dealership stockyard, could you see any Z4 variant there?

Section 52(1) of the MV Act state that - No owner of a motor vehicle shall so alter the vehicle that the particulars contained in the certificate of registration are at variance with those originally specified by the manufacturer.

Section 52(3) state that - Where any alteration has been made in motor vehicle without the approval of registering authority or by reason of replacement of its engine without such approval under sub-section (2), the owner of the vehicle shall, within fourteen days of the making of the alteration, report the alteration to the registering authority within whose jurisdiction he resides and shall forward the certificate of registration to that authority together with the prescribed fee in order that particulars of registration may be entered therein.

I hope the above two proviso of the MV Act clears the concept. Now coming to your questions :-

3. Everything that comes factory fitted is included in the RC.

2. This is a personal choise and may vary from person to person.

1. You can discuss with your dealer to include the roof rack in the RC. The process differs from state to state as the RTOs has certain discretion and authorities.

In practical situation, more than the rule, it is the perception of the Traffic Police of the state which decides what is legal and what is illegal. Certain things which are not objected by police of one state can be considered illegal by the police of another state - like use use of bull bars and crash bars, use of films on the windows etc. etc.
Sommos is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 19:08   #1578
BHPian

Sunroof condition (speaker area gaps, visible cable bunch), front and rear camera details (camera lag), area under dashboard of actual production unit (with ODO reading 60 km) are shown in this PDI video available on YouTube.

Last edited by RijuC : 22nd September 2022 at 19:10.
RijuC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 01:22   #1579
BHPian

Still no view of a silver Scorpio N. My booking has a delivery date between 26 Sept and 13 Oct and the status is still under planning. I wonder what would happen when I see the car for the first time and don't like the color, will i be able to cancel the booking then?
slylenser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 19:46   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
Still no view of a silver Scorpio N. My booking has a delivery date between 26 Sept and 13 Oct and the status is still under planning. I wonder what would happen when I see the car for the first time and don't like the color, will i be able to cancel the booking then?
Brother…I sincerely wish you get to see your vehicle at the earliest..may be the next batch post the initial 7k units has a Silver ScorpioN for you. I wish you like the color..do post a pic or pics without fail…

I am also in the same boat as you
Old 24th September 2022, 20:15   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
1. You can discuss with your dealer to include the roof rack in the RC. The process differs from state to state as the RTOs has certain discretion and authorities.
No discussion here.

RC details are given by the manufacturer at time of type approval of car before being launched into the market.

it cannot be changed by dealer by adding/deleting anything before registration.

It is illegal to have a roof rack.
It is illegal to upsize tyres.
It is illegal to change your headlight bulbs.

Any modification to your car , no matter how small, is illegal under a blanket rule in this regard.

Whether you get fined/challaned depends on the cop.
If he knows his laws, you are a criminal.

If he doesn't, you are free for another day.
viXit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 10:59   #1582
BHPian

First glimpse of Grand Canyon Color in ScorpioN. Mahindra should have released atleast one vehicle of this colour. Would have contemplated shifting to this Colour during the change window.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-5d5a0ca89a394b839618b987f0e59981.jpeg  

rahulya007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 11:48   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
First glimpse of Grand Canyon Color in ScorpioN. Mahindra should have released atleast one vehicle of this colour. Would have contemplated shifting to this Colour during the change window.
I am not good in recognizing colours but saw a similar looking XUV500 the other day. It looked bright enough on a cloudy morning which I thought was good.

Somehow, the colour choices werent great if one isn’t in for a black one. It would have been good if there was a longer window to change just the colour, atleast for later deliveries.
Old 25th September 2022, 14:17   #1584
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Scorpio N. Initially had booked for manual diesel 4Explore, but after the test drive and thinking it over, changing the booking to automatic 4Explore. Primary reason being, as I am on the shorter side, 5.4, found the gear lever little far away for my liking, had to stretch the left arm a wee bit, and being managing a big vehicle for the first time, found it distracting.
Old 25th September 2022, 15:00   #1585

Quote:
Finally got to see my booked colour of Scorpio-N. Thanks for sharing this photo.
er_sb_blogs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 19:08   #1586

Quote:
Brother…I sincerely wish you get to see your vehicle at the earliest..may be the next batch post the initial 7k units has a Silver ScorpioN for you. I wish you like the color..do post a pic or pics without fail…

I am also in the same boat as you
I have also booked Silver Z8L AT 4EXPLOR with delivery date between 26th Sep - 11th Oct.

Finally went in yesterday to see the car and did a test drive around the dealership. Then I requested the SA to bring the car to my house so I could test drive the Scorpio-N on the BBMPs off-road circuit near my house. Hats off to the SA at India Garage Whitefield - he was responsive, came on-time and delivered a great experience.

Quick background - I have been driving XUV500 2nd Gen W10 AWD AT for past 6.5 years. Driven it from Kanyakumari to Ladakh and pretty much everywhere in between. I am a 6ft tall and fat guy.

Thought of sharing my initial impression of Scorpio-N on the thread and some comparisons with XUV.

1. Looks - Felt the front bonnet to cabin ratio is a bit out of proportions for my liking. Would have preferred the cabin length to be longer by 2-3 inches.

2. For me, ingress and egress in XUV 500 or XUV 700 is quite comfortable. Seat height in Scorpio-N is taller by ~3 inches. Unless you use the foot board to get in and out, you will rub your Calf/Soleus muscles against the foot board and feel it. I did.

3. I typically push the seat all the way back to adjust for the height and the belly. In XUV-500, B-pillar is still behind me. But in the Scorpio-N, the B pillar rubs against the shoulder. Compared to XUV-500 and XUV-700, the Scorpio-N cabin feels a bit narrower but I wasn't particularly uncomfortable. So I am ok moving forward with the booking and purchase.

4. In XUV-500, I could easily keep 24oz. contigo bottle in the center console and it wouldn't interfere with the center console hand rest usage (height wise). But the center console in Scorpio-N is quite high. so will need to find a solution to keep the water bottle else where if I want to use the center console hand rest.

5. In the BBMP off-road circuit near my house (a.k.a. Borewell Road, Siddapura Main Road), Scorpio-N eats up > 80% of the bumps and pot holes that I could feel well in XUV-500. For 90% of my Scorpio-N usage, I anticipate Scorpio-N will deliver a significantly improved and comfortable ride quality for the next decade. My near teenage kids in the back seat also were pretty happy with the suspension and ride quality.

6. Pick-up: I never really had any complaints about acceleration with my XUV-500 usage on city roads or highway. In my city test-drive, I felt the Scorpio-N acceleration had enough oomph for my usage.

7. The cabin noise isolation - from engine sounds - in city traffic - is amazing compared to XUV-500. Couldn't hear the engine at all even with music system turned off. No comments on highway noise characteristics as I haven't driven Scorpio-N on highway yet.

Overall - I am moving forward with the booking and purchase. I feel Scorpio-N provides the VFM and driving experience that suites my driving style. Expecting to receive the vehicle by 10th Oct (based on inputs from SA)!!!
pkjains is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 23:31   #1587
BHPian

Don't you guys think rear wiper wash cover very less glass surface as seen in this section of video. Is this specific to Scorpio-n only or it is also the case in XUV700 and other Mahindra cars?
Old 26th September 2022, 00:23   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkjains View Post
I have also booked Silver Z8L AT 4EXPLOR with delivery date between 26th Sep - 11th Oct.
Do share pics of the vehicle when you happen to see it…
Old 26th September 2022, 01:16   #1589
BHPian

Meanwhile accessories including those not listed on M2all (like fog lamps and folding ORVMs for lower variants) are now available in accessory shops.

rodeoz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 01:22   #1590

Can someone confirm if front-camera and front sensors will be compatible and installed on ScorpioN lower variants? My SA told that front-camera and front sensors cannot be installed as an accessory, when I told him about sensors being available on M2All as an accessory he turned onto that then sensors can be installed.

Most Viewed