Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 10:32   #1636
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Scorpio N owners, please give feedback on how effective is the cooling of the AC for someone seated in the third row.
Old 29th September 2022, 10:57   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoul View Post
My initial experience with Z8L AT 4WD with about 150KM under the belt has been very positive.

• 4th to 5th gear: This one I’m still figuring out. I feel that the AT box takes a bit too long to down shift to 5th gear, have to hit 65-70kmph for AT to downshift. Maybe expected or maybe I'm not pushing the pedal right, so still trying to understand this dynamic.

Happy miles to all the owners.

As per the Owner's Manual upshift from 4th to 5th gear should happen at 54 KMPH and not at 65 - 70 as you have mentioned.

At 70 KMPH the gear would likely upshift from 5th to 6th.
Old 29th September 2022, 11:18   #1638
BHPian

Test drove the Scorpio-N Diesel manual top variant the other day at a nearby showroom.
Just my 2 cents on the car:

1. I found the refinement not at par with its other Mahindra siblings. I could feel engine vibrations on the clutch pedal quite prominently. Later when I was sitting on the middle row left seat, I could feel vibrations in the backrest while idling. I expected better refinement at the price point. However the engine noise is well contained. Not as good as the 7OO, but still pretty decent.

2. The overall drive is pretty good. The engine gathers pace quite well, and it's pretty breezy shifting through the gears. Definitely makes for a very fun driving experience.
The vehicle handles very nimbly despite its hulking presence. One shouldn't expect corner carving, but it certainly makes life very easy going through curves, or cutting through traffic.

3. The seating position is extremely commanding. However with the seat at the highest position, my head was mere inches from the roof. I think some major pothole or speed-breaker would definitely have me hit the roof. I sit with the seat all the way up in me 3OO as well, and I have more headroom there. Surprising. Overall though, it's very comfortable.

4. The middle row is a very nice place to be! With the armrest down, and the backrest tilted back, it feels like sitting on a sofa. Very comfortable. The slight creeping vibes at idle in the backrest was the only thing which was bringing the whole experience down from time to time.

5. Last row, as with other 7 seaters, is for kids only. However what I noticed is that once you tumble down the left side middle seat to get in the back, the floor isn't flat! There is a very big slope in there, which makes it unnecessarily difficult to climb in or out of the third row. This really shouldn't have been the case. The last row also feels a bit closed in. Not as much light as the middle row gets.

6. Boot, sadly, is barely enough for 2 small-medium sized bags with the third row up.

7. The overall build quality feels very sturdy and solid. Panel gaps vary a bit at places, however they are better than some of Mahindra's previous products.
ashishk29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 12:10   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Thanks! Your feedback is very reassuring to me as I have been driving a 2006 scorpio till date. Any advise from SAs on run in period?
Standard answer: 1000Kms. Planning to visit the workshop in the next day or so for a couple of issues, will check with the technician
ukoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 12:21   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Thanks! Your feedback is very reassuring to me as I have been driving a 2006 scorpio till date. Any advise from SAs on run in period?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoul View Post
Standard answer: 1000Kms. Planning to visit the workshop in the next day or so for a couple of issues, will check with the technician
Screenshot about running-in from the owner's manual, which says the same thing as the SA

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-runningin.png

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th September 2022 at 12:23.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 13:40   #1641
BHPian

Seems like problems have already begun in the Scorpio N, probably because this particular car belongs in the first lot. Hope these issues get resolved soon!

MOD NOTE: Please move this into a new thread if required

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 29th September 2022 at 14:06.
TechnoBloop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 15:10   #1642

I just sent the above video to sales person. Getting delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Mine is August manufacturing model.
Old 29th September 2022, 16:13   #1643
BHPian

The above seems like the infamous Slave cylinder issue of the the XUV 500 from the early 2012 batches.

The slave cylinder is responsible for moving the clutch assembly, the cylinder leaking causes the clutch pedal to be stuck or completely free. This can further cause the clutch plate to burn and the whole system has to be replaced. Since clutch wear and tear isnt covered in the warranty it is really difficult to convince them to replace the clutch under warranty. But if the slave cylinder has failed and that directly led to clutch plate burning then it will be replaced.

Having said all this, this issue wasn't common post 2014 if i remember correctly and it does show a low quality slave cylinder. I myself am driving the Manual Scorpio N so i will be careful as well about this. In the 1.27 Lakh km i drove my XUV 500 (First gen) i did not face this issue even once, so hope the trend continues.
kushgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 18:26   #1644

I believe we do have a serious chronic suspension issue in the vehicle of people feeling road surfaces and minor road undulations into the vehicle.
This is most possibly a suspension issue or a steering issue, but something is not right, as vehicles feels as if wheels are are juddering vertically and this constant katak-katak movement whilst driving vehicle even on fairly smooth roads.

Many members are facing the same issue over minor road undulations, and this is not good.

For all those who think this will be sorted at first 1000 Km's, let's not be under any misconception that Mahindra will sort this out.

They have no idea what the issue is.

Today was my 2nd day at the workshop for this issue, someone came from Mahindra Pune and I spent 2 hours testing vehicles with them, and they acknowledged there is an issue while we were driving and they said they will come back to me. We test rode two separate test vehicles one vehicle has exactly the same issue whilst the other did not i.e. the 4X4 AT did not have this issue. The manual vehicle had this issue.

So I called them for update few minutes ago and they informed me that this is the nature of the vehicle and nothing is wrong, which I found obnoxious. Its a very pathetic drive and suspension does feel loose as if coming off with constant katak katak coming into the vehicle.

I personally can not drive a vehicle with such discomfort and defect.

Please do start to escalate this matter to customer care, as Mahindra are not hearing about the issue from customers they tell me. I was told I am the only customer with this issue that is not true at all looking at this forum.

So please take this more seriously and Mahindra has already washed this off their chest.

It will be highly irresponsible for them to continue delivery vehicles with this defect.

Members please advise and I suggest we tweet Anand Mahindra too?

Last edited by TEJSINGH : 29th September 2022 at 18:41. Reason: addition of content
TEJSINGH is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 19:32   #1645
BHPian

I wonder why didn't any one in the media report this steering issue. I was able to notice in my TD but didn't know what the problem was. I really hope mahindra fixes this issue.
Old 29th September 2022, 19:48   #1646
BHPian

I'm curious if this suspension issue is limited to the 4Xplor MT variant only?
Can other members who have driven 2WD and/or AT variants confirm if they faced this in their vehicles?
Old 29th September 2022, 20:51   #1647
BANNED

I had done two extensive drives with 4WD explorer MT , did not find the above two issues with the test drive vehicles, one was with petrol and the other with diesel, may be that is why the media did not have those issues.Both the engines were super silent.
Old 29th September 2022, 22:19   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikh_oberoi View Post
I wonder why didn't any one in the media report this steering issue. I was able to notice in my TD but didn't know what the problem was. I really hope mahindra fixes this issue.
I test drove the Petrol AT Z8L (2WD) during the test drive and did not notice this issue. But I see several people who have got their cars delivered both here and on Facebook talking about this. Could this be a 4x4 or MT specific issue?
Old 30th September 2022, 07:00   #1649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEJSINGH View Post
This is most possibly a suspension issue or a steering issue, but something is not right, as vehicles feels as if wheels are are juddering vertically and this constant katak-katak movement whilst driving vehicle even on fairly smooth roads.
Two times I Test drove the Scorpio-N, a Diesel 4-wd and a Petrol, both being Automatic, and I never felt any issue with the suspension or steering. I strongly suspect this issue to be isolated to MT models.

Mod Note - No SMS language and proofread before posting.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th September 2022 at 09:08. Reason: Corrections
rakesh_r is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th September 2022, 07:58   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I strongly suspect this issue to be isolated to MT models.
My 4WD AT Diesel has it

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th September 2022 at 09:09. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.

Most Viewed