Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2022, 18:10   #1666
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Went in to the service center to get the wheel alignment issue fixed.
Alignment issue on my car has been fixed. There have also been software updates made - both for Infotainment screen and also the ECU. I was late to the service center hence could not catch hold of my SA and get details of what was updated - but there is no CarPlay yet for the Scorpio. Have not faced any other issue on my car till now.

Clicked a picture with the setting sun:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20221001-6.25.18-pm.png  

Last edited by acquillew : 1st October 2022 at 18:26.
acquillew is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 18:56   #1667

Got my Z8L D MT RWD delivered yesterday. Drove 350kms to hometown. Faced a weird issue that the vehicle stalls sometimes in 2nd gear when in low speed. Didnt happen in any other gear. Also, the acces to 3rd row is stuck for me. It wont tumble fully. Have to visit service centre soon.

Anyone feel that the intensity of the headlight in low beam is less? I had to turn on fog lamp or use high beam on open road.
blackfox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 19:38   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
Got my Z8L D MT RWD delivered yesterday. Drove 350kms to hometown. Faced a weird issue that the vehicle stalls sometimes in 2nd gear when in low speed. Didnt happen in any other gear. Also, the acces to 3rd row is stuck for me. It wont tumble fully. Have to visit service centre soon.

Anyone feel that the intensity of the headlight in low beam is less? I had to turn on fog lamp or use high beam on open road.
Congratulations for your car.
Stalling in 2nd gear: What was the speed at which you faced this issue?
Access to 3rd row: Do check if the headrest for the second row of seats is inside. If raised, the seat will not tumble fully.
I have driven the car for about 80 km at night and have found the intensity good for city use. On highways, will need the high beam. In general, white light is not very useful with oncoming light, rains or foggy conditions.
acquillew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 19:57   #1669

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Congratulations for your car.
Stalling in 2nd gear: What was the speed at which you faced this issue?
Access to 3rd row: Do check if the headrest for the second row of seats is inside. If raised, the seat will not tumble fully.
I have driven the car for about 80 km at night and have found the intensity good for city use. On highways, will need the high beam. In general, white light is not very useful with oncoming light, rains or foggy conditions.
Low speeds at around 15-20. Used to do it easily in diesel creta and swift. Thinking its the start stop system kicking in. Will try to replicate in a deserted road and confirm.

Headrest is fully in. It tumbled fine few times. But few times it got stuck( still is).
blackfox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 22:08   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfox View Post

Headrest is fully in. It tumbled fine few times. But few times it got stuck( still is).
Observed the same in some test drive cars. Some will tumble easily, others need to be pushed. Hope its an easy fix for your vehicle.
Old 1st October 2022, 22:34   #1671
BHPian

Re: What happened with your Mahindra Scorpio-N Booking?

Hello Folks, I received delivery of my Z8L AT Diesel 4WD yesterday, ( detailed post about the whole experience in the works ).. I quickly wanted RK check if anyone feels the Bass is a little too light in the Sony 12 speaker system ? I feel so ,I’m a bit of bass head maybe. Question - what are my options if I want to upgrade or add another Subwoofer without voiding the warranty ?

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd October 2022 at 10:03. Reason: Removing request message. Thanks.
Old 2nd October 2022, 01:23   #1672
BHPian

Request the owners of Scorpio N Petrol variants to kindly share their ownership experience and feedback on any difficulty or any specific observation etc.
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:33   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Here is a good comparison of Thar and Scorpio-N on some tricky terrain at Mahindra's Offroad Academy (Igatpuri). As acknowledged by the drivers, this was not meant to be a direct head-on for obvious reasons but goes a long way in proving that the Scorpio-N can accomplish 80% - if not more - of what the Thar can, in such challenging terrains, while (very importantly) also being able to play the role of a family car/tourer with aplomb, which the Thar cannot.

Also, do not miss the suggestive exchange on the 5-door Thar, right at the end of the video

cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:39   #1674
BHPian

For people exploring upgrading tyres to AT, it seems a tight fit for Apterra, not sure at extreme articulation will it foul with fender lining.
Bluebird_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 13:01   #1675
BHPian

Yes, it appears to be a tight fit.
Would have to wait for tyre companies to launch an AT tyre in the stock size.

Also the infamous headlight alignment issue has been rectified in this video.
If only Mahindra could address the clang noise/feel issue as well.

ishlinea7260 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 13:18   #1676
Distinguished - BHPian

Snow chains can’t be fitted on stock tyres, has been mentioned in the owner’s manual.

The wheel wells can’t accommodate the snow chains with stock tyres.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-1887898b90d642e79b8401be50af94e4.jpeg

Source: BHPian Anshyuman https://instagram.com/stories/anshyu...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Engine overheating issue faced and coolant vanishes:

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-e0d24a973a16484386830726a70fb25b.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjNBkh1L...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 2nd October 2022 at 13:24.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 13:58   #1677

Took a second detailed test drive of Z8L D MT 4WD, approximately 15 km total. From showroom to my parking space to highway and back to the showroom. And back to back Z8L D AT 4WD for 8 to 10 km on highway. I took a second trial specifically to check all the new issues that have been discussed in the team BHP/FB, after 26th September. Odo readings were like 2.5k for MT and 1.1k for AT.
Here is my take on recently discussed issues.
1. Hornpad is definitely laggy. Half a second lag between press and response.
2. No noice from suspension in either of them. Nothing. Only very large potholes produced a soft thud. Small and medium ones were engulfed by the suspension.
3. There wasn't any excessive feedback on the steering column, atleast not in the demo cars. But the self centring of steering after a U-turn is not that strong. You have to help it out in that.
4. Vibrations in the pedals. I didn't notice any excessive vibration. Overall I was happy with the NVH.
5. Stalling in the second gear. Yes, manual is stalling in the second (even in the third gear also) if the vehicle is slower than what it is supposed to be in that particular gear. I wasn't happy with that at all. But it is manageable and one will get used to it.
6. Headlights. There wasn't any issue with the allignment of them but low beam is definitely a little weak for my liking. High beam is good. Foglamps are also good.
7. Bumpy ride. Yes, the ride felt a little bouncy especially at high speeds. But its within manageable limits and one will get used to the nature of the vehicle pretty quickly (I drive a sedan).
8. I found no lag in the infotainment system. Connected my phone and made a call to my better half. She could not make out that I was calling through car's mic.
9. AT not shifting to 6th speed, until you hit 80. Yes, not even in the manual mode.
10. Space for left knee is definitely at a premium. But its not as bad as safari or harrier. It bothers you only if you start thinking about it.
Aventus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 18:55   #1678
BHPian

SCORPIO N 1000KM DRIVE EXPERIENCE

When it comes to a mahindra it is always full of excitement. Whether the excitement you get from the engine, the excitement you get from the performance or the excitement you get from discovering unique niggles that you’ve never heard before.

The scorpio N was no different. I got the 4xplor manual Z8L in black on day 1. It has been a week and I have driven it 1000 km to share my experience.

The Good

- Engine is a piece of work. The mHawk has always been a community favourite and this one nails it in every aspect for me.
NVH, torque, mileage and overall performance, it’s a pleasure to drive this made in India engine.

- The suspension deals bad roads with ease. Small holes rumble strips are absorbed by the N like it’s inhaling air.

- The car feels solidly built. Some fit and finish issues are there but still it feels like a car that will last.

- It is a mile muncher that wont hurt your pockets. 18.2 kmpl is the average I got on the MID and 17.4 from tank full method. Thats a 2.25 ton 4x4 SUV we are talking about. This mileage was from delhi to Rishikesh AC on the whole time driving on the brink of the speed limit.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-de70b0c97bac4e8ba659ce4036b7331e.jpeg

- The car just look’s stunning to me specially in its natural habitat.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-f393ad3eb7c648dd9024f7dafcbee10c.jpeg

- I tried some light off roading. Tried crossing a river bed. I got stuck in 2wd as the rear wheels sinked in the clay like bed instantly. Put the car in 4WL and it literally glided like it was tarmac.
The car makes it effortless to cross obstacles which are slippery and tough for 2wd vehicles even in stock HT tyres.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-75a4946861ba4c70b01ade7b49ae5932.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-ff7f87fa818a4600baef94bf6eb1568d.jpeg

The Bad

- The car is not happy at high speeds. Don’t get me wrong it can go fast and still be stable. What makes you less confident is the ratio of the sixth gear. At 100 kmph engine isn’t like my xuv 500 which was relaxed at 1800 rpm. The N revs at 2100 rpm. Now that not only gives it bad cruising mileage at triple digit speeds. It also makes a bit more noise than other cars would at 100.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-64eee5d99e904951919f64bb82319c58.jpeg

- The speaker system sometimes randomly stops working and wont work until I restart the car. This has happened thrice. Hope the 1000 km service will have some software updates for this.

- The cameras are pathetic. No other word can be used here. My after market camera on the 500 was far better than this one.

- Glove box compartment (coming from dual glovebox of xuv 500) feels like a joke.

- The suspension issue for me is over thank fully. The sound from suspension is gone after torquing some parts when I went for the alignment of the vehicle. No more khat khat sound for me. But the steering feel is still not the best. Hopefully that will be fixed as well in the 1000 km service.

- One big ergonomics failure in my eyes for all 4x4 owners is the knob placement. There have been many incidents now when 4Xplor mode was engaged by mistake because of the position of the knob. It should not be in the centre between the gear lever hand brake and the cup holder. And then I have to look like a fool waiting for the system to get back in 2wd before I start driving in city traffic.

These are my first impressions of the car. Mostly positive and some irritating issues. But overall I am happy with the purchase and can’t wait to 4Xplor more in my vehicle.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd October 2022 at 09:29. Reason: Mention of high speeds / typo.
kushgandhi is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 19:20   #1679
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, @Kushgandhi for the feedback. Just one question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
Now that not only gives it bad cruising mileage at triple digit speeds..
Is this with Cruise Control ? And is this at the high speeds you mentioned ?
Old 2nd October 2022, 19:24   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is this with Cruise Control ? And is this at the high speeds you mentioned ?
Yes @100 with cruise control it was at 2100 rpm. The average was around 15.5-16 at these speeds. And at 90 it was at 1800 rpm and average came at 18.5 kmpl on the mid.
kushgandhi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed