Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 19:37   #1681
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
Yes @100 with cruise control it was at 2100 rpm. The average was around 15.5-16 at these speeds. And at 90 it was at 1800 rpm and average came at 18.5 kmpl on the mid.
Experts, pls comment : does engaging cruise control change the drive mode ?

My BiL noticed this drop in FE on his Evoque too.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 20:12   #1682
BHPian

Quote:

The scorpio N was no different. I got the 4xplor manual Z8L in black on day 1. It has been a week and I have driven it 1000 km to share my experience.

The Good

- The car feels solidly built. Some fit and finish issues are there but still it feels like a car that will last.

- It is a mile muncher that wont hurt your pockets. 18.2 kmpl is the average I got on the MID and 17.4 from tank full method. Thats a 2.25 ton 4x4 SUV we are talking about. This mileage was from delhi to Rishikesh AC on the whole time driving on the brink of the speed limit.

The Bad
- The speaker system sometimes randomly stops working and wont work until I restart the car. This has happened thrice. Hope the 1000 km service will have some software updates for this.

- The cameras are pathetic. No other word can be used here. My after market camera on the 500 was far better than this one.
The car looks stunning with the green background. Congratulations again on your purchase.
I have realized that if you drive the car with a light pedal, even the AT can deliver ~15-16 kmpl on highways.

Questions for you:
a) Did you climb further up from Rishikesh towards the mountains? If yes, how did the car perform?
b) Tyres: How did the tyres do? Did you find them loosing grip or wheelspinning in the offroad patch? In my city drives, I have found them to be silent.

Regarding updates during your first service, yes there will be updates available for your car. I took mine in for wheel alignment and there were 3 updates available for the car.
acquillew is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 22:29   #1683
BHPian

Quote:
Yes @100 with cruise control it was at 2100 rpm. The average was around 15.5-16 at these speeds. And at 90 it was at 1800 rpm and average came at 18.5 kmpl on the mid.

Any clue if the ratios are same with the diesel automatic variant as well? Not the preferred ratio for triple digit cruising.

Edit - Quoting old post regarding cruising on the automatic variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
• In terms of cruisability, the Scorpio-N can cruise calmly at 100 & 120 km/h at 1,900 & 2,100 rpm respectively.

Last edited by r24x7 : 2nd October 2022 at 22:35.
r24x7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 00:08   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Questions for you:
a) Did you climb further up from Rishikesh towards the mountains? If yes, how did the car perform?
b) Tyres: How did the tyres do? Did you find them loosing grip or wheelspinning in the offroad patch? In my city drives, I have found them to be silent.
Thank you for the kind words.

A) Yes I did climb on some steep patches near and around Rishikesh, the car is effortless on steep inclines even on loose gravel in 2wd mode. The car had no problem in climbing at speeds of 30 in 3rd gear, and hairpin bends was an ease. Minimal turbo lag and plenty of low end torque makes it good for mountain climbs.

B) The tyres performed well, as I told that the tyres lost grip on a clay almost quicksand like patch, but as soon as 4WH was engaged they were performing well with normal acceleration and minimal wheel spin. Other than that extreme patch the tyres were nice on mild off road/dirt road tracks. They are really silent indeed, on tarmac at cruising speeds of 100 they are silent and offer good grips while lane changing.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th October 2022 at 07:17. Reason: Typo.
kushgandhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:10   #1685
BHPian

Had the first breakdown within 1000 KM. The battery went completely dead within 3 hours of parking. I don't think I left anything on in the car and adrenox had a car stopped message.

Because the indicators were still working, it wasnt clear whether the remote lost its pairing with the car, the CCMs were able to arrange mechanics in 15 minutes flat on 2nd October.

They replaced the battery under warranty after corresponding with Mahindra as the battery had problems...

Not as hassle free as I thought.
adzegeek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:46   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Guess it depends on the roads. It should save fuel compared to manual where we might go beyond limits, brake and pickup again.

But sometimes I have seen rpm shoot up to maintain the speed in cruise control in hilly areas while in manual mode we could smoothly pick up on speed even with gear changes.
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:11   #1687
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Guess it depends on the roads. It should save fuel compared to manual where we might go beyond limits, brake and pickup again.

But sometimes I have seen rpm shoot up to maintain the speed in cruise control in hilly areas while in manual mode we could smoothly pick up on speed even with gear changes.
Now CC vs No CC comes down to the driver behind the wheel.

But I have observed far better fuel efficiency without Cruise control.

The Honda City is almost entirely used only on the highways.
It has a 6MT with Cruise control. Whenever I slow down and hit RES, the CC accelerates at full throttle. Same rate as me just mashing the A pedal in whichever gear I am.

FE is highly sensitive to how fast we get back up to cruising speed.
Cruising at 150 can give the same mileage as cruising at 200 if we are aggressive with the throttle.

Gradually getting back upto speed is very efficient, which the CC does not like to do.

Another important point is that CC engages several times and continuously gives throttle input. Whereas a human might liftoff and give gradual inputs every few seconds. which is again more efficient. This was observed in one of the Honda Jazz reviews on the forum too, cant find it.

Last edited by viXit : 3rd October 2022 at 14:13.
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:34   #1688

Quote:
These are my first impressions of the car. Mostly positive and some irritating issues. But overall I am happy with the purchase and can’t wait to 4Xplor more in my vehicle.
Great review. Would you be able to share what was done to troubleshoot the Katak Katak Suspension issue. Its an issue troubling a lot of us, and in case you can tell us which dealership you went to and what exactly they did i.e. what part and what was torqued/ tightened in the column or suspension, that will resolve issue for lot of us. Most dealerships are as of now not able to resolve the issue, as a matter of fact Chandigarh Mahindra RO says this is the nature of the vehicle and nothing can be done
As of now this vehicle obnoxiously does Katak Katak over every small undulation. Its getting worse with more Km's.
Do send out the workshop details too. Thanks
TEJSINGH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 15:42   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
SCORPIO N 1000KM DRIVE EXPERIENCE
from delhi to Rishikesh AC on the whole time driving on the brink of the speed limit.
Congratulation for your ScorpioN and wish you many happy miles with your badass machine.

One Question: Delhi to Rishikesh is quite a distance, How the rear seat passengers find it? Did they complain of nausea or did they find the rear seat tiring?

Rear seat comfort is important for me so inquiring on these aspects. Other details you have covered very well. Thanks.
Old 3rd October 2022, 18:34   #1690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is very strange indeed. In my Thar Diesel Auto, 100 kph comes up at 1600 rpm! The engine feels super relaxed at this rpm level and I easily get 14-15 kpl. But for the lack of aerodynamic shape of the Thar, I am sure I would have got much higher mileage.

I would advise you get the gearbox checked, as 2100 rpm is very high for that speed, considering how effortless the engine is on most other applications.
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:27   #1691
BHPian

Quote:

- The car is not happy at high speeds. Don’t get me wrong it can go fast and still be stable. What makes you less confident is the ratio of the sixth gear. At 100 kmph engine isn’t like my xuv 500 which was relaxed at 1800 rpm. The N revs at 2100 rpm. Now that not only gives it bad cruising mileage at triple digit speeds. It also makes a bit more noise than other cars would at 100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This is very strange indeed. In my Thar Diesel Auto, 100 kph comes up at 1600 rpm! The engine feels super relaxed at this rpm level and I easily get 14-15 kpl. But for the lack of aerodynamic shape of the Thar, I am sure I would have got much higher mileage.
I think that is how the gearbox is tuned by default. I remember seeing the review video by Gagan Chaudhary and remember the exact same RPMs.
See this link at 31:38 and you will see Gagan mention the exact same numbers:
acquillew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:58   #1692
BHPian

Car has arrived at the dealership, did a PDI today.

There is a distinct noise while turning the steering, brought this to the notice of the technician and was told that some rubber part is playing foul and can be adjusted.

The headlamp throw appeared to be fine but will get it checked tomorrow again the headlamp adjustment board.

There is a small scruff mark in the interior (co driver side A Pillar)

It was late today so couldn’t drive the car , will drive it tomorrow and check out the noise/clang issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-b6e2a14ff0ec43cb805669f6a78ce056.jpeg  

Old 3rd October 2022, 22:08   #1693
BHPian

- The car is not happy at high speeds. Don’t get me wrong it can go fast and still be stable. What makes you less confident is the ratio of the sixth gear. At 100 kmph engine isn’t like my xuv 500 which was relaxed at 1800 rpm. The N revs at 2100 rpm. Now that not only gives it bad cruising mileage at triple digit speeds. It also makes a bit more noise than other cars would at 100.

I'm not sure if Mahindra has made any changes but our 2019 XUV 500 cruises at an exact 2000 rpm at 100 kmph in sixth gear. Mileage hovers around 16-17 kmpl and the engine is very refined too. The refinement may improve after the 1st service.
Old 4th October 2022, 07:13   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
SCORPIO N 1000KM DRIVE EXPERIENCE

Attachment 2363967

Attachment 2363966

Congratulations on your car, its one very desirable machine to aspire to own!

However, I must complain against the photography. There is simply no reason to click with your phone in one hand while driving with the other. Take care.
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 08:40   #1695
BHPian

Quote:

I faced the same issue with the new Tata Safari. While engaging cruise control the mileage dropped at least 2-3km/ltr. I believe the reason is something to do with the way car accelerates to reach set cruise speed whenever there is a traffic slowdown.
Scenario: Moderate traffic. Cruising at 100. There is a traffic slowdown ahead. After overtaking the traffic car is at 70km/hr. Cruise is temporarily disabled and can be enabled by steering controls. When re enabled car quickly tries to reach set speed accelerating hard, resulting in lower mileage.
I have tested this and without cruise mileage is higher.
Cruise control makes sense if its a really straight highway with minimal traffic, then we can have both benefits- tireless drive & mileage. In moderate traffic scenario better not to use cruise control.
vegitakarthik is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks