Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2022, 09:23   #1771
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey1230 View Post
I couldn’t attach the video URL for some reason hence attaching the photos of the same colour below.
PS- Mods kindly please merge both of my posts for easier viewing.
My wish finally fulfilled of seeing the vehicle in Silver. Thanks bro for sharing the pics. For video, i guess you can directly paste the URL in the text box and it gets attached.

I think the curves and creases pop out in this color than any other one as light reflects on the silver in various angles thereby giving those contrast shades which probably white doesn’t do. No offences to anyone with any other color, i just felt so.

Last edited by rahulya007 : 12th October 2022 at 09:35. Reason: Added text
rahulya007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 12:02   #1772
BHPian

Thanks for all the information about the new Scorpio-N. I'm glued to this thread like a bee to a light bulb.

I'm considering the Scorpio-N Diesel AT 4x4 (variant doesn't matter) as a touring vehicle. It will see a lot of kilometers (at least 20-30K per year). YouTube is filled with baboons who are dying to make money with fake information. I want the owners feedback about a few things.

I have taken a TD too in the exact variant but I want to hear the read deal from the owners.

1. Fuel Efficiency :
More FE means less cost per kilometer. Considering it is going to be a tourer it must have a decent FE. My expectations are it should see at least 12-14kmpl on Highways. I'm being very specific here, I'm looking at the 4x4 variant AT (additional weight) what is the real FE people are getting on their Z8L AT 4x4 D ?
2. Reliability:
Rule of thumb says stay away from V1`s till the product is stable. Its a cruel joke now because even if I order it today, the waiting period will make it a V3 by the time I take delivery.
Coming back to the question, with respect to Scorpio-N what makes more sense, a MT or AT. Which will prove to be reliable on the long run. A mile muncher AT will make it much easier to cover distances although long-term reliability is the need of the hour here.
3. Suspension and Comfort:
Four seater audience here. Have heard good news about the minimal body roll in Scorpio-N. Can people tell me how was their experience of long drives on this. To put it in the most elementary form, How tired ? How blind ? How dehydrated ? and How much pain in different parts of the body ?
4. Alternate options to be considered.

Hope its not too early for the real feedback to come out, but I'm sure the owners will have interesting information to add.
Old 12th October 2022, 13:44   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Anand Mahindra took delivery of his Scorpio-N.
Any info/news on why he chose scorpio-N instead of say XUV700 or Alturas G4?

I am just curious.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 13:55   #1774
BHPian

I came across this video yesterday which talks about the Camera quality of Scorpio-N and how it is not bad and how a software update will resolve the issue of laggy frames right now. Those who have already taken delivery can verify this with their vehicle by following the steps he mentions in the video below.

Rest of the other features must be known to most of the people. But the camera thing should pacify some people here as software update will definitely fix the same as it did for XUV700.
Old 12th October 2022, 15:27   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post

I am just curious.
He will already be having the XUV700 and Alturas. This is a new product and he bought one. I think it's just that.
DieselAddikt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 15:33   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post

I am just curious.
The most logical & real answer to that question is - His PR Manager must have told him to choose the ScorpioN!

When people such as him buy the Scorpio, they don't actually "buy" the Scorpio!!
Its a marketing exercise, that's it!
Regards,
Powertrain
powertrain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 16:36   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
Thanks for all the information about the new Scorpio-N. I'm glued to this thread like a bee to a light bulb.

I'm considering the Scorpio-N Diesel AT 4x4 (variant doesn't matter) as a touring vehicle. It will see a lot of kilometers (at least 20-30K per year). YouTube is filled with baboons who are dying to make money with fake information. I want the owners feedback about a few things.

I have taken a TD too in the exact variant but I want to hear the read deal from the owners.

1. Fuel Efficiency :
More FE means less cost per kilometer. Considering it is going to be a tourer it must have a decent FE. My expectations are it should see at least 12-14kmpl on Highways. I'm being very specific here, I'm looking at the 4x4 variant AT (additional weight) what is the real FE people are getting on their Z8L AT 4x4 D ?
2. Reliability:
Rule of thumb says stay away from V1`s till the product is stable. Its a cruel joke now because even if I order it today, the waiting period will make it a V3 by the time I take delivery.
Coming back to the question, with respect to Scorpio-N what makes more sense, a MT or AT. Which will prove to be reliable on the long run. A mile muncher AT will make it much easier to cover distances although long-term reliability is the need of the hour here.
Four seater audience here. Have heard good news about the minimal body roll in Scorpio-N. Can people tell me how was their experience of long drives on this. To put it in the most elementary form, How tired ? How blind ? How dehydrated ? and How much pain in different parts of the body ?

Hope its not too early for the real feedback to come out, but I'm sure the owners will have interesting information to add.
Let me give you my perspective from a couple of weeks of ownership. Mine is Z8L Diesel Manual 2WD.

1. Fuel Efficiency - You can easily get up to 15kmpl on highways if you drive decently and don't do too many accelerations etc. Even the slow acceleration is fantastic in Scorpio N. I had driven 400 odd km in a day including some 4 lane highways, some two-lane highways, some hills, some bad roads etc... I got 15.4 as my mileage. You should get similar in AT as well on highways. In a trip like mine, it might drop to 12 or so(assumption based on the number of gear changes and different terrains)

2. Reliability - This car has been under testing for over 2 years. Also unlike earlier, Mahindra has a proper testing track with all kinds of terrains built into it. I don't think there would be any major issue with the car. In addition, I have taken extended warranty for 4th and 5th year. I think whatever issue the car may have will come out within the warranty period.

AT or MT - Depends totally on your taste. I miss AT sorely when I drive back from work every evening but when I went on the long drive, I absolutely adored the MT. I feel like the car and I are partners in the drive. Personally for me, AT on long drives is boring. Its definitely more convenient, but I like to contribute more to the driving (Totally personal viewpoint)

3. Suspension and Comfort - This is where ScorpioN takes the cake. An absolute pleasure to drive. No body rolls. You don't even feel potholes (small and medium ones). I was not tired at all at the end of it. No pain, nothing. One of the best in the market to pamper you throughout your drive.

4. Alternate options - Hardcore Mahindra fan. So you know the answer
chipsnchops is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 16:45   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
I agree 100% about the baboon thingy. Yes, you come across a video daily that bashes the car with the sole purpose of gaining more views. Yes, the car has its drawbacks, but the intention of the videos is very different from pointing those out. Let me help you out with a few things I have noticed in my short ownership experience.
Quote:
1. Fuel Efficiency :
More FE means less cost per kilometer. I'm looking at the 4x4 variant AT (additional weight) what is the real FE people are getting on their Z8L AT 4x4 D?
I am driving the 4X4 AT and have completed about 900 km with a mix of city and highway drives. I have seen about 11-11.5 in the city and about 15 on the highways. If you cruise with a light foot like I do without harsh accelerations, the car should easily do 14+ kmpl on highways with speeds around 95-100.

Quote:
2. Reliability:
Coming back to the question, with respect to Scorpio-N what makes more sense, a MT or AT.
Go for the AT. The gearbox is slick and quick.

Quote:
It is a tall vehicle. There is body roll but less than you would expect from a vehicle this size. If I had to describe the ScorpioN drive feel in one sentence, I would say 'I don't feel nervous on roads at good speeds.' The seating is plush and comfortable, and very good visibility all around the car. The car doesn't feel tiring, and you can easily do full-day trips in the car. The only issue with long drives, and specifically on highways is the lighting of the car. I have not found the headlights to be up to the mark.
acquillew is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 18:09   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post

It is a tall vehicle. There is body roll but less than you would expect from a vehicle this size. If I had to describe the ScorpioN drive feel in one sentence, I would say 'I don't feel nervous on roads at good speeds.' The seating is plush and comfortable, and very good visibility all around the car. The car doesn't feel tiring, and you can easily do full-day trips in the car.
Can you elaborate on the body roll, straight line stability and passenger comfort aspects of the Scorpio N? My current cars include Laura TSi (with lowered suspension) and Polo, and now I have a booking of Scorpio N. Considering you had a Laura before, wanted to understand how much of a compromise will it be for some one moving from a low slung sedan, in terms of body roll and stability? My test drives have been really short to make a nuanced decision based on these parameters.

Last edited by greenoval : 12th October 2022 at 18:18.
greenoval is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 20:04   #1780

Posting on behalf of a friend,

He had booked a scorpio N in September, the status now shows that the cancellation process is initiated without any intervention by my friend.

Has anyone else faced this issue with their bookings?
Old 12th October 2022, 21:09   #1781
BHPian

SCORPIO-N 2000 KM UPDATE

The car has been running better than I expected. After hearing so much about a body on frame vehicle I was skeptical buying one but anyways I went for it. Trust me when I say this it is amazing to drive this on bad roads and curves. For me it behaves much better on mountain roads in comparison with XUV 500.

Some of the negatives from the first impressions are now gone.

- One was the wiper swipe on the back, I thought that it is frustrating but after a week of rains in Delhi and driving the car with rear wiper usage it is perfectly positioned. You wont notice this at all if the third row is up and it cleans the rear glass nicely when viewing from the rear view mirror.

- 17 inch wheels on top models is also something I do not regret. The comfort on bad roads is great for me and that is what actually matters to me. The design is decent but what matters is the performance. It absorbs bumps much better than the 18 inchers with smaller profile.

A few new negatives that I have discovered.

- As mentioned in an earlier post, the internet connection of the in built SIM is pathetic and not at all reliable. If this is the kind of connection I don't think I will ever renew the service post expiry.

- The car has low ground clearance. Now Mahindra has always been smart to reduce ground clearance on paper to avoid taxes but still the actual experience was nice. In the XUV 500 they lowered the sump guard to evade taxes and reduce cost. On paper when I read the ground clearance is 187mm I thought its again one of those tricks, but the car scraps on patches my XUV would have glided on when taking the obstacle straight on. This is a worry.
The centre arm which holds the suspension mounting marked in the picture below is pretty low, limiting the vehicles break over angle. It is bound to get scratched and chipped during mild off roading. Adding on to this the departure angle and DEF tank placement is also a scare. My spare tyre has been hitting obstacles all the time and a hit to the DEF tank can make the car stranded in difficult places. Hence I crawl really slowly on big bumps where the break over angle or departure angle is considered. Here I am not talking about hardcore off roading but mild off roading done when you take a dirt road with some craters or rocks. These do limit the vehicles capability but still it is very capable once you learn how to tackle the obstacle properly. Much more than any crossover in the segment.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_3637.jpg

For the centre arm I have opted for anti rust coating of the underbody with a 5 year warranty. When the car was jacked up the Arm was scratched and bare metal was exposed making it prone to rusting in wet conditions. Hence a Recommendation to all who plan to do some sort of off roading should go for it as the underbody is bound to touch some obstacles. Also considering underbody protection when available for the planned winter drives.

Other than this the steering feedback on off road drives is worse than an hydraulic unit but still really nice as the light steering helps in turning the vehicle in crawling speeds effortlessly. No abnormal vibrations that I was not expecting.

Quote:

1. Fuel Efficiency :

2. Reliability:

1. I am getting figures in the range of 12.5 in heavy city traffic and 15+ on the highways within the speed limits i.e 90 km/h.

2. A Mahindra user for the last 8 years I can vouch for the reliability of the mHawk engine. I have mentioned it earlier in the forum I think 99% of the customers wont face any mechanical issues with the engines in the its lifetime given proper car is taken by following the maintenance schedule and not ignoring the warnings that pop up. Electronics are somethings that can fail in any car, hence the extended warranty should give you that peace of mind.

3. Suspension is a big upgrade, especially on bad roads, from my XUV 500 minimal body roll, feels almost like a crossover but you still get the high seating position. Comfortable for 4 people, you can drive all day long if 4 adults are in the car with full luggage. One thing though on cemented expressways (like the Delhi Agra expressway) I feel the road noise and car movement is more than my XUV500 and considerably more than the XUV700 my brother owns.

4. I considered the XUV700 until proper rumours and interior shots came up, starting February this year no car was on my mind except the N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I came across this video yesterday which talks about the Camera quality of Scorpio-N and how it is not bad and how a software update will resolve the issue of laggy frames right now. Those who have already taken delivery can verify this with their vehicle by following the steps he mentions in the video below.
Yes this is happening every time you put reverse as soon as the engine is on, even I was surprised and the service centre too agreed it is a software issue rather than a hardware one. And cars without the latest software update have the option to make the screen smaller for a lag free experience, but unfortunately the latest software update has no such option.
kushgandhi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 22:12   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
My wish finally fulfilled of seeing the vehicle in Silver.
I think the curves and creases pop out in this color than any other one as light reflects on the silver in various angles thereby giving those contrast shades which probably white doesn’t do.
My selection of Dazzling Silver Colour for the Diesel variant was a last moment change. And now I am convinced that it was not a wrong decision. Mine is Z4. Absence of chrome elements won't look bad with this body colour.

When is the first batch delivery of Z4 variant expected? The CPD for petrol Z4 booking is 10th December, 2022. Does the Z4 get the ceiling mounted sunglass holder? I love the slow release of that holder! The door opening lever will be black plasticy thing anyway.

By the way, there is one YouTube channel named "AB Ventures" and he has a Silver colour earlier model of Scorpio. He seems to be a reasonable youtuber.
Old 12th October 2022, 22:37   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Can you elaborate on the body roll, straight line stability and passenger comfort aspects of the Scorpio N? My current cars include Laura TSi (with lowered suspension) and Polo, and now I have a booking of Scorpio N. Considering you had a Laura before, wanted to understand how much of a compromise will it be for some one moving from a low slung sedan, in terms of body roll and stability? My test drives have been really short to make a nuanced decision based on these parameters.
Well, it is a difficult question
I would ask you to definitely lower your expectations in all the areas you mentioned. We are comparing a Laura with a full fledged SUV with the highest sitting that I have driven till date.

Body roll: The Scorpio is a tall vehicle, a very tall vehicle. There is bound to be body roll. The car gives you confidence to drive fast into corners and I have had no difficulty in cornering, changing lanes and taking highway curves at 100 kmph. The passengers did not even notice we were going at 100 kmph. You cannot compare it with the likes of a Laura though, where you can carry much higher speeds into corners. Even in my Scorpio, on fast lane changing manoeuvres, I did not feel nervous and my passengers did not complain either.

Stability: The car is planted. You would't feel nervous when going fast, or during quick overtakes. But, it has a busy suspension. My test drive was a long one - about 12km on a 2WD variant and I own a 4X4 variant. I found the 2WD version comparatively more relaxed at cruising speeds. IMO, the 2WD may offer you a slightly better ride quality.

For a large and high BoF, the Scorpio is a gem of a car. There are no vibrations in the cabin, for both front and second row seats. I love driving the car and my passengers have been happy for the few hundred kms we have driven together.
acquillew is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 09:45   #1784
BHPian

Quote:
I think the curves and creases pop out in this color than any other one as light reflects on the silver in various angles thereby giving those contrast shades which probably white doesn’t do. No offences to anyone with any other color, i just felt so.
None taken I have a black and at least what i see in the pic, Silver is looking really cool. Eagerly waiting to see on the roads.

By the way, I saw one you tuber who has got his roof wrapped in matte black on his white scorpio N and was looking very handsome atleast in the video.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 10:36   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsnchops View Post
Suspension and Comfort - This is where ScorpioN takes the cake. An absolute pleasure to drive. No body rolls. You don't even feel potholes (small and medium ones). I was not tired at all at the end of it. No pain, nothing. One of the best in the market to pamper you throughout your drive.
Are you facing the issue of sound coming from the suspension OR brakes whenever you move the vehicle after you have kept it on hand brake for some time?

Most Viewed