Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2022, 17:05   #1876
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
Attached image shows the issues per their system to be rectified.
I had mine serviced 2 weeks ago and these are the actions flagged for mine too.
Old 30th October 2022, 17:53   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Test drove the ScorpioN Diesel AT, 4X4

Hello Samba,

Can you please mention which dealer in Calcutta is providing the 4Explore AT for test drive? I booked the same variant however got the test drive for a petrol manual from Shree Automobiles near Haldiram, Airport.

Thanks.

Last edited by sbanerjee : 30th October 2022 at 17:59.
sbanerjee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 19:43   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Test drove the ScorpioN Diesel AT, 4X4
Great review Samba ! A potential buyer now gets to choose between Scorpio N, Scorpio Classic & the XUV 700 within Mahindra itself.

Samfromindia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 23:07   #1879
BHPian

I've found a way to check software version and other details in the engineering menu of the entertainment system, here's a quick video that shows how to do it:

My Z8L is Sept 2022 made and came with version 08.04.55. Can you check yours and reply with the versions you have?
Old 31st October 2022, 09:04   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
The rear lost its composure when driven over a rumble strip at a higher speed.
@Samba, Was this during cornering or even on straight roads?
I did notice that it fishtails when going over road disturbances while cornering. Had attributed it to the BOF RWD dynamics, could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Can you please mention which dealer in Calcutta is providing the 4Explore AT for test drive?
I believe Royal Motors (Tollygunj or BT Road) have one. Can reach out to them.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 31st October 2022 at 09:06.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 09:14   #1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
Congrats on the new addition to the family and wish you endless joy with it

Would be great if you could post some pictures please, I too have ordered a Deep Forest colour. Thanks
Here you go, Sir. A few pics from a recent road trip to a resort near Marchula (on the fringes of Corbett National Park). The green shade almost looks black in most of these pics - I guess the angle of the sun plays its part.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4440.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4441.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4466.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4469.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4471.jpg  

zenmaster666 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:05   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Building upon Samba's insights, sharing my two bits as I also drove an AWD Scorpion for quite some time in and around Chennai with a bit of off roading thrown in

[quote=Samba;5429981]Test drove the ScorpioN Diesel AT, 4X4
My observations-

What I liked-

Quote:
Excellent NVH.
A smooth AT gear box.
Excellent low end torque. Stop and go on inclines is effortless.
Agreed. The fuelling calibration has been done very well. The "tip-in/tip-out" is very smooth.

Quote:
Even though the steering is light, there was no nervousness at high speeds.
A bit more heft would have been good. It felt a bit "woolly" to me particularly around long sweepers.

Quote:
The brake bite was progressive and confidence inspiring.
Yes. "Nose dive" is progressive as well. Credit it to the FSD's.

Quote:
Body roll is quite sorted for a body-on-frame SUV of this size. The ride quality, though not plush, still was good. It surpassed my expectations.
No complaints on the fit and finish part. Panel gaps looked even, no rough edges either.
It's there. Due to the FSD's it's a lot controlled and progressive now.

Quote:
The rear lost its composure when driven over a rumble strip at a higher speed.
The acceleration is decent, but not brisk.
Yes. We were two occupants only and the rear side-stepped over rumble strips and once over a mid corner ridge.

Couple of other points I noticed:

1. Positioning of the DEF tank under the rear bumper is a big negative for me. As you would have noticed the rear departure angle, for a vehicle claiming to be an off roader is very , very average indeed; if not poor. I could not come across any officially published figures for rear deparure angles but looking at that "l-o-n-g" rear overhang I would estimate it to be in the region of 17-20 degrees. Couple that with the DEF tank's position, sans any protection, and it will hit the ground when exiting deep ditches.

2. The variant we drove had 18-inch wheels and tyres. We did some off roading over nasty ground. In some cases the axles were fully twisted /compressed due to the terrain & articulation. Later i noticed tyre brush marks on the rear inner wheel wells - both sides. Cross checked with the rear tyre's inner sidewall; and yes, scuff marks were there as well.
That means the rear tyre inner sidewalls on 18-inch wheel/tyre combination touches/brushes the rear wheel arch liner inner under demanding off roading/axle articulation situations. Yes, one needs more data on this: but what i experienced should have been taken care by M&M in the design stage itself.
Also don't think the Scorpion is snowchain compatible. On 18-inchers the tyre top to wheel arch liner clearance was pretty tight. I don't think it will be able to accomodate snowchains. Unless you do some re-engineering, put spacers etc.

Overall it is a good vehicle. Not a remarkable one. It will satisfy the operational requirement of 90% of potential buyers.
It wears the rough and tough "Mahin-dar" tag very well on its gnarly grille and the 1-BHK stance, (personal views and not meant to impose on any one; of the rear "ITC - Classic - cigarette - packet - fitted - with - lights - on - wheels - look); and towering seating position will fulfill 100% of their phallic desires I just cannot fathom why Mahindra styling studio cannot work out the "track to height ratio" of their vehicles. Look at the Duster, the gigantic new Range Rover, the Range Rover Velar, the Porsche Macan's and Cayenne's , the Audi "Q" line-up. Is it so difficult to incorporate proportional styling?

To sum it up: On an average, if one pays a a lakh/lakh and half more, one can access the portals of the XUV 700 from the same Mahindra fold. That is a more accomplished and well rounded vehicle which should be considered if one is thinking of a purchase.

Last edited by arjab : 31st October 2022 at 11:08.
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 13:56   #1883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Hello Samba,

Can you please mention which dealer in Calcutta is providing the 4Explore AT for test drive? I booked the same variant however got the test drive for a petrol manual from Shree Automobiles near Haldiram, Airport.
Thanks.
I took the test drive from NR Auto Saltlake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Great review Samba !
Thanks Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
@Samba, Was this during cornering or even on straight roads?
I did notice that it fishtails when going over road disturbances while cornering. Had attributed it to the BOF RWD dynamics, could be wrong.
We faced it on a straight road. Drove it over a rumble strip at around 50 Km/hr and the rear lost it's composure. Though it's much more sorted than the Thar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
My observations-
Your observations are spot on.

I have not driven this car on offroad. So refrained from commenting on it.

What you wrote about the off-roading part, the same was echoed by Anshuman Bishnoi on his video.

Regarding the steering I took it till 100 km/hr, till that speed the steering feedback and weight was acceptable, though I have not taken any fast corners with the car. As you are driving this car for a month, you can comment on these much better than what I can figure out from a 15-20 km test drive.

Overall Mahindra has done a fantastic job with this car, but still they missed out on few small areas to make the car perfect. Hope they will rectify these issues from their customer feedback.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st October 2022 at 16:10. Reason: Angshuman = Anshuman
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 20:50   #1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post

2. Everytime the car starts, the default mode is Zap. Is there a way to change it to Zip permanently?

3. Can the auto start stop be disabled permanently?

4. Any details of the e-sim in the car?
I found that the vehicle feels very sluggish when its it the Zip mode. So I generally leave it in Zap mode. In fact the AT I have feels slow even in Zap mode compared to my 2011 Mhawk manual. I miss the classic already.
Aerosmith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 22:59   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerosmith View Post
I found that the vehicle feels very sluggish when its it the Zip mode. So I generally leave it in Zap mode. In fact the AT I have feels slow even in Zap mode compared to my 2011 Mhawk manual. I miss the classic already.
I wish they would give tech differences between the various modes. Is the gear ratio different or does the rpm only change with the change of modes - and what are the numbers.

I have also noticed that if switch on the cruise control in zip mode, mode automatically changes to zap and switching off the cruise control leaves the mode in zap - I suppose that is thier preferred mode.
slylenser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 09:27   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
I took the test drive from NR Auto Saltlake.

Thanks Sam.

We faced it on a straight road. Drove it over a rumble strip at around 50 Km/hr and the rear lost it's composure. Though it's much more sorted than the Thar!
Exactly the same thing I have been observing since the delivery of my SUV [Z8L AT 4x4]. in addition to this, my vehicle makes a metal sound like someone pulls a metal spring hard and releases it. This sound comes at speed of 40-50kmph while crossing the speed breaker (Plastic Road Hump Safety Speed Breaker in Black & Yellow Color). if I do it at speed of above 60kmph or below 30kmph the sound disappears.

I explained this issue to the Service center while 1st servicing. They tried everything to solve but no use. though I was taking this issue casually, Mahindra has taken the issue seriously so now I am worried about this.
The service center has called an expert engineer from Mahindra to look into this.
hrishi_dypim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 17:26   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster666 View Post
Here you go, Sir. A few pics from a recent road trip to a resort near Marchula (on the fringes of Corbett National Park). The green shade almost looks black in most of these pics - I guess the angle of the sun plays its part.
Thanks for the pics @zenmaster. The colour looks smashing...I am soo glad I went with this option. You are right, in certain angles it does look like a shade of black depending on illumination. But the pic where the vehicle is in the middle of all the foliage was just super
akannath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 21:52   #1888
BHPian

After reading a lot of reviews and watching a lot of vlogs, it seemed more reasonable to go for the Z8 AT 4WD Diesel. Hence, I booked it.

However, I am worried about few things:
1. Departure angle
2. Placement of the DEF tank
3. Unable to use snow-chains in stock form
4. Weird tire specs for an All-Terrain upgrade and a possibility of tire inner wall rubbing the wheel well.

The above points are making me think over and over.

Observations by @Samba and @arjab are pretty spot on. Thanks a lot for your insights.
suvrog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 16:05   #1889
BHPian

Is it possible to replace 255/60 R18 tyres with 285/60 R18 on Scorpio N? I looked at michelin primacy suv tyre for upgrade , and it has only one size in R18
Old 2nd November 2022, 17:43   #1890

Joined the forum today. Happy to be here

I have completed some 2500km on my Scorpio N and had some wonderful moments with this beauty.

The first service was completed without hassle and I had a great experience with the dealer in Chandigarh. I have read about the experiences of other users with Mahindra dealers across the nation and I seriously consider myself to be lucky that I did not face any issues.

Coming to the vehicle, it's seriously one hell of a beast. I have a harrier, and I seriously thought that nothing could come up close to driving experiences in this price segment. Yes, there are obvious issues with BOF. You feel the tarmac more closely inside the vehicle.

I did some testing to know the capabilities of the vehicle, but most of it was done at night time and without traffic. ( I won't recommend it and neither do this again). I took a u-turn in one of my street roads and felt that my vehicle would start the drama if you are doing a speed of more than 40-50 km/hr, unless you want to activate your health and car insurance simultaneously, do not take turns with Scorpio N on speed more than this.

The suspension of the vehicle is something. I was riding to Shimla and the vehicle performed well on corners considering its size and body structure. I still will favour monocoque chassis for corners, but again on the highway, if you are driving below 120, you won't feel much difference because there has been a great improvement in the overall dynamics of the vehicle. Unless you want to meet your creator, I would advise everyone to be within limits every time.

Handling is one of the biggest talking points here. After driving ScorpioN, I even hate my father's i10. It is so light, and driving it is a breeze at slow speeds and in traffic. You seriously forget that you are driving the BIG DADDY. A big kudos to Mahindra for this.

Every man loves his machines, be it a moped or a Ferrari, and why am I saying this? Because people look and appreciate your ride, and it gives you a smile every time; even the Fortuners and the Endeavours respect you. So enjoy it till it lasts.

There are some obvious cost cuttings and serious issues which have been overlooked, like the one where the speakers are still not covered near the sunroof. I had read it earlier and was saddened to see it still when I was taking the delivery of the vehicle. Mahindra could have at least provided proper cover for the nuts on the seatbelt ( the point where the Seatbelt is attached to the pillars of the car ). It is cheap plastic, and it will never close. I won't talk about other issues which everyone has already figured out because they are still there.

There is another issue with the speakers, I have a manual top with 4WD, which has sony speakers. When you connect your iPhone via Bluetooth ( there is no car play for now ) and play songs via Spotify or apple music, you will see some weird sounds of speakers cracking. One song that you can try is "Faasle by Aditya rakhri" on Spotify. I visited the dealer and had a conversation with them. We checked it in different Scorpio N and confirmed this. They took a video recording of the same and told me that they would raise this with Mahindra. This issue won't be there in Android. I found it strange. Do other users have also faced this in theirs?

So far, I am enjoying the vehicle, apart from the issues that I have reported. Many have complained that the features are not there, but my take here is that it has everything that gets you moving. I am more of a driver and consider vehicles to be judged on what they are meant to be, "hit the tarmac and create memories".

I am planning to do the northeast circuit in the new year, maybe and for now, just enjoying the mountains of Himanchal.

Stay safe, stay happy and ride well.

Mod Note- Please proofread before posting.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th November 2022 at 21:41. Reason: Grammar, spell.
Abhination is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks