Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2022, 13:24   #1936
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN59_1000 View Post
Help!!!
Can we stop sunroof open function or if not block the whole window open function
I don’t think so it is possible, although I find the audible chimes offered by Mahindra weird, it gives an audible feedback while closing all windows but none comes when you open it, which can be cumbersome in accidental activations like in your case. Also I sorely miss the audible chimes for lock/unlock like that of Hyundai’s and Maruti’s. Makes it easier in areas where you’ve walked away from your vehicle and want to make sure it is locked without going near it to see the lights or to open AdrenoX for it.
Shrey1230 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 16:37   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruxh View Post
Hi everyone, I have booked a Z8 Diesel AT. I really wanted to go for the Z8L , but the only one in my budget would be the petrol manual. I really did not want a manual as a car as big and heavy as this would be a pain to drive. Did I take the right decision?
Yes absolutely. Wait for some time for the Z8 but go for the AT. Moving from a manual XUV500 to a Z8L AT, I can tell you the difference is huge. The AT is easy and fun to drive, even on the hills. Mileage of Diesel AT is more than petrol manual.

And I have heard they will clear all Z8 deliveries by Dec end.
Old 13th November 2022, 17:05   #1938
BHPian

Stumbled across this video on youtube where someone from New Delhi has replaced the rear 3rd row bench seat for a couple of jump seats like the older gens of Scorpio. Although not the safest option but still it solves the boot space issue to some extent. The fabric used also matches with the rest of the car (atleast in the video) which makes it look OEM.
Video credit belongs to its respective owner, I’m adding snippets from the video for easier viewing.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-e08544e3d5774efc92ffe0de9b4bd7d6.png
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-7764738a283547a386eddafc425c5a77.png

Regards,
Shrey
Shrey1230 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 17:27   #1939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey1230 View Post
someone from New Delhi has replaced the rear 3rd row bench seat for a couple of jump seats like the older gens of Scorpio.
Attachment 2379083
Attachment 2379082

https://Youtu.be/cYtirHpf34E
Regards,
Shrey
You're spot-on on the safety angle but this modification makes the last row very usable. Another modification I am searching for is the spare wheel on the tail gate. With the door opening sideways, that should surely be possible.
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 19:42   #1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
You're spot-on on the safety angle but this modification makes the last row very usable. Another modification I am searching for is the spare wheel on the tail gate. With the door opening sideways, that should surely be possible.
This modification should be avoided for the doors although made to open sideways aren't enough to bear the load of rim + tyre, it may loosen or even break the hinges, if stepney is required to be accessed easily, incorporate the the boot false-linings from aftermarket that has tyre cavity into it, the only issue then would be you won't be able to use the 3rd row for seating purposes.
Old 13th November 2022, 20:00   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Only proper mod for tailgate mounted spare wheel is to get a metal rear bumper with spare tyre mount. Something similar I have seen on Old Fortuners and Thars to carry bigger and heavier tyres.
Old 13th November 2022, 20:19   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
My Z8 D AT 4x2 is showing a delivery date between April and May. It would be great if i get it by December. Did you hear about it from the showroom people or someone else?
Old 13th November 2022, 21:09   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsnchops View Post
No I have not. Have consciously checked without any music or other distractions. There is no sound from anywhere.

Don't worry too much about the angles and the tires unless you plan to go serious offroading.

Have a look at this video. The tires are Stock.

https://Youtu.be/Idp3pQsJE-8

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Well, I plan to do some mild off-road, which includes snow drives, and to me the tyres do mean a lot and it vastly increases a vehicle's capability even in 2wd mode.
Hence a bit worried.

One more thing which I wanted to mention, while booking the vehicle, I had received a booking docket from Mahindra, which stated the estimated delivery to be 10th Feb, 2023. However, after logging into the Mahindra website, it show DOD as Nov-Dec, 2024.

Anyone else faced this same issue?
Attached Images

Old 13th November 2022, 23:52   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio N - Horn Latency

I test-drove a Scorpio N recently. Not getting into the details of the drive, but one thing I specifically noticed is the latency of the horn.

There is a noticeable delay for the horn to start sounding after you press the horn pad. In my cars, it is instant - you press the horn pad, and you get the sound right then and there.

This can be annoying, and sometimes a safety issue as well, given the fact that honking is our way of life - we need that device to avert accidents.
Old 14th November 2022, 01:43   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruxh View Post
Hi everyone, I have booked a Z8 Diesel AT. I really wanted to go for the Z8L , but the only one in my budget would be the petrol manual. I really did not want a manual as a car as big and heavy as this would be a pain to drive. Did I take the right decision?
Good choice on the diesel automatic. The Z8L barely has anything to justify the 3L premium. It's a trim level created solely to see how many customers are willing to pay extra to get their cars delivered faster since that's the one with the highest margins for mahindra.
Old 14th November 2022, 02:08   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post

I think Z8 deliveries in december may not be right. I have two dealerships telling me that Z8 deliveries will begin in Nov-Dec but both of them don't have any such information from company. They are just assuming Z8 will go into production after Z8L. They were surprised when I showed them my Z4 scheduled for Dec and Z8 for may. One of the SA said the dates being shown in tracking website might be correct and Z4 after Z8L may be because of chip and other component supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I test-drove a Scorpio N recently. Not getting into the details of the drive, but one thing I specifically noticed is the latency of the horn.
True. There is a noticeable delay and it is irritating. I have the habit of two short honks with a very short pause in between. On the Scorpio N, it comes as a single honk. While the first honk starts late, the pause is completely missing making it a single honk(capacitors in horn circuit?). I think I noticed this on Xuv700 too.
SteeringWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:57   #1947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeringWheel View Post
True. There is a noticeable delay and it is irritating. I have the habit of two short honks with a very short pause in between. On the Scorpio N, it comes as a single honk. While the first honk starts late, the pause is completely missing making it a single honk(capacitors in horn circuit?). I think I noticed this on Xuv700 too.
Yes, the horn delay is too annoying and I also couldn't do two quick chirps in the Scorpio N.

Implement my courtesy honk project and may be use a separate relay itself, to have those two quick & instant chirps done at the press of a button!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...nk-my-car.html (How I automated the 'Courtesy Honk' in my car)

Last edited by clevermax : 14th November 2022 at 11:09.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:05   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Good choice on the diesel automatic. The Z8L barely has anything to justify the 3L premium. It's a trim level created solely to see how many customers are willing to pay extra to get their cars delivered faster since that's the one with the highest margins for mahindra.
I don't think the premium is 3 L. It is closer to 2L from what I know. If you are price protected, then it makes sense. If you are not under price protection, you may end up paying close to the Intro price of Z8L for your Z8. If that is something you are willing to take a chance on, then stick with Z8.
Old 14th November 2022, 11:31   #1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey1230 View Post
Stumbled across this video on Youtube where someone from New Delhi has replaced the rear 3rd row bench seat for a couple of jump seats like the older gens of Scorpio.
====
Shrey
Does it void any warranty?

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th November 2022 at 11:33. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 14th November 2022, 11:37   #1950
BHPian

2500 KM UPDATE

---------------------

So, my car has now completed 2500 km and I thought I will update this thread with what I have noticed so far. Dividing the thread into different sections for ease of reading.

Buying Experience

I bought the car from Punjab Mahindra, Ahmedabad, and my experience was good. I wouldn't rate it excellent, and not rate it bad. Whatever I requested was made available. I was not forced to buy insurance from them, and wasn't forced to buy accessories either. I took delivery of the car on the 30th of September and then went home for Diwali.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20221114-11.07.00-am.png

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20221114-11.07.16-am.png

Attaching a copy of the Accessories invoice as provided by the dealer. Notice the difference in tax between Sun Shades and the other accessories.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20221114-8.42.50-am.png

Ceramic Coating

I got 9H done on my car at Neelkanth Automobiles in Gandhinagar. The owners are very good friends and this was almost free of charge for me. The results are good on a black car.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20221114-11.17.32-am.png

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-b82df0866c234b84973b023cc5eed3d5.jpg

First Service

I got my car serviced at Punjab Mahindra again. The technicians were courteous and there is a sense of urgency when they see a ScorpioN in the service area. I was offered both Pickup and Drop free of cost. The car was clean and I asked them not to wash it. The following tasks were visible from the WithYouHamesha job card.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20221114-11.23.39-am.png

Car was dropped home without a second key. I have been told that for my series, the second key has not been received by the dealer yet.

Drive Experience

I love this car!
I am not an ‘off-roader’ and generally like sticking to tarmac. When I owned the Cruze and A4, I would choose roads and maps that would avoid broken patches, craters on roads, and narrow roads in the cities. With the Scorpio, I have discovered a new ‘Me’. The car can eat bad patches for breakfast and craters for lunch. I find myself slowing down less and less on bad patches and the car just manages these patches with ease. The first 1000 km of my drive in the Scorpio was mostly up and down from office to home, which includes driving from Ahmedabad to Gandhinagar and that is a 6 lane tarmac with no speed humps, and little traffic. Within the city, I constantly got in between 12 and 13 kmpl.

Last Saturday, I drove from Ahmedabad to Dwarka and came back yesterday. Ahmedabad to Dwarka - I started at 4:00 in the morning. Like I have mentioned earlier, the low beam is of little use. On the highway, I used the high beam and it has OK illumination. I cruised around 80-85 kmph till Dwarka and the mileage returned (tank to tank) was 14.7 kmpL. On my return, I started from Dwarka at 8:00 in the morning and cruised at about 95 kmph and the mileage returned was 15.79 (tank to tank). I feel this is a good number for a car this size. The car shifts into 7th gear at 90 kmph, and that’s probably why you would get the best mileage just above 90 kmph. Another thing to note was that the car was at most ease after shifting into 7th, and was at about 1700 RPM at 95 kmph.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot-20221114-11.27.33-am.png

The car has enough power to take you anywhere and also to overtake slower cars on the road. The power delivery is linear in the Automatic but I never found myself wanting for more power. The gearbox is slick. On cold starts, the car shift gears at about 2300 RPM, and when the oil temperature is up, the gear changes happen at just around 2000 RPM. You will never find yourself in a situation where the car is driving at lower speeds in higher gears.

The ScorpioN provides you with a silent drive - the car is well insulated from outside sounds. The tyres perform well, with good grip levels and low sound levels. The engine sound is also well contained and I think my Compass made more noise than this bigger engine. At cruising speeds of about 95 kmph, the cabin is super silent on highways. Oh yes, there is no sound from the suspensions whatsoever. Even on hitting bad patches, the car just glides and you don’t hear the suspensions working. BUT - you do feel them working. There is noticeable movement in the car when it moves over rough roads, but nothing that breaks your confidence. The car comes back to being stable almost immediately.
Note: On concrete roads, I found the car to be moving a bit more than tarmac. Maybe I encountered a bad patch of concrete roads; will test it elsewhere and see.

Passenger Comfort

I had a couple of people in the car with me - both frequent travellers with me on my previous road-trips. They were both happy with the comfort of the car’s seating.
Desirables: More recline in the second row and ventilated seats in the front.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with my purchase. Thankfully, I have not had any issues with the car so far - none that have been reported by fellow members here. I will be travelling to Uttarakhand in the winters at the end of this year and hopefully will be able to check how the car performs in snow.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-door.jpg  

Last edited by acquillew : 14th November 2022 at 11:43.
acquillew is offline   (26) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks